Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
options
left, use, <left>, swear, left
left, use, <left>, not swear, left
left, not use, left, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, right
right, use, <left>, not swear, right
right, not use, right, swear, left
right, not use, right, swear, right
goku
im gay
im gay goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

maybe he simply choose not to elucidate, because the post he was in was long enough already

do you believe that assumption he makes is true, or false? If not, why not?

I don't think the assumption he makes is even intelligible. Roll your eyes and say "mu."

deadgoon posted:

these aliens come at us and they say "our forces are irresistible, we can kill you all, but maybe we won't if you behave yourselves..."
and you can say, "we won't try to resist as long as you spare some of us!"
or you can say, "spare me and i'll kill anyone you ask!"

in both cases humanity is hosed, because we're either a bunch of cucks who won't fight back or a bunch of quislings who will betray each other

the correct response is, "if you want this dead gay comedy planet you're going to have to kill us all!!!"

I'm with this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i love my dead gay comedy planet

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
so let's flip this around

let's only make the 'fame' change to the experiment, but now let's change one other factor

the 'aliens' are not sentient

they do not have intent, they are actually just machines, following a 'script', written by a long-dead, unknown and forgotten race

they have more in common with a force of nature, like gravity, then they do with you, they will simply do, and then stop.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I don't think the assumption he makes is even intelligible. Roll your eyes and say "mu."
why is the assumption unintelligible? do you think there is something contradictory about what he said, and if so, what is that contradiction?

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

you're getting rid of the whole federation thing then? this is just some bunch of rustbuckets abducting sentient beings and removing their emotions so they can mark down the "rational" response on a post-it note nobody's ever going to read?

what possible reason could anyone have to want to play along now as opposed to doing everything possible to ensure the destruction of these shitbots?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no no no, there's no federation, but no brain chips either

the 'aliens' are simply soulless parts of the universe, like asteroids

what do you do?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

rudatron posted:

so let's flip this around

let's only make the 'fame' change to the experiment, but now let's change one other factor

the 'aliens' are not sentient

they do not have intent, they are actually just machines, following a 'script', written by a long-dead, unknown and forgotten race

they have more in common with a force of nature, like gravity, then they do with you, they will simply do, and then stop.
why is the assumption unintelligible? do you think there is something contradictory about what he said, and if so, what is that contradiction?

i hack the robot and make it suck my dick

e: doesn't them suddenly being robots just turn it into a weird horrorshow instead of a test, and remove any morality from it at all other than choosing who gets to die

e2: wow that poo poo was impossible to parse

ed: balls

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the robots will explode after the experiment

maybe you can make them suck your dick after they explode, but some reassembly will be required

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Are you really going to change the problem rather than consider the moral ramifications of the situation you devised?

Can you at least first admit that in your original scenario the middle position was the moral choice?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i read your post glyph gryph, and i'm thinking about it, but i'm not actually too attached to any one formulation of the experiment

Heaven Spacey posted:

e: doesn't them suddenly being robots just turn it into a weird horrorshow instead of a test
yes

what do you do?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

rudatron posted:

no no no, there's no federation, but no brain chips either

the 'aliens' are simply soulless parts of the universe, like asteroids

what do you do?

there's no brain chips so i agree with my companions to stick up our middle fingers instead of moving the switch at all if we can't break the robots. let the silent universe know that we did not play along with something so dumb and pointless

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
so let's take that logic to natural disasters

would it be moral to sink a lifeboat you are in, if you ever forced into preventing one person from getting on, just to 'shove it' to the silent universe?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thats a complicated way to justify voting for trump

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rudatron posted:

How about we deal with the issue at hand and the important moral questions i honestly expected you to ponder and respond to, rather than move on to irrelevant scenarios?

Stop your morality gish gallop, stop shying away from difficult ethical questions because you dont like the answers. After we have dealt with the situation at hand, we can move onto another scenario that is irrelevant to this one.

Not a moment before

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

rudatron posted:

would it be moral to sink a lifeboat you are in, if you ever forced into preventing one person from getting on, just to 'shove it' to the silent universe?

there's intent from the long-dead race of philosophy 101 dropouts in your other example and also from you in trying to keep pushing on a hypothetical repeatedly shown to be wanting

there is no rhyme or reason in an accident or disaster

they aren't actually the same thing despite your really really wanting them to be

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The only ethical and morally good response is to resist.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
okay, let's remove that intent

the robots were assembled by random chance, in spite of their complexity

the probability was infinitesimally small, but you know that it must have been random

what do you do?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i read your response, i'm still thinking about it, that is going to take some time - in the mean time, i would appreciate some answers on these questions. i will provide my response to you, at a later point, but not right now.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

He regards the option as "evil," but since his concept of evil has no foundation in the text, there's nothing to be said in response.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
if the 'boltzmann robots' is unsatisfying, here is another possibility - they are malfunctioning human robots, caused by a glitch, caused by a random piece of solar radiation

He regards the option as "evil," but since his concept of evil has no foundation in the text, there's nothing to be said in response.
that's not what i mean, i mean do you consider it as 'evil' or 'good'? if so, why (or why not)? "this is evil" can simply be interpreted as "i have a belief that this is highly morally objectionable, for which I have a reasoning, but for which i cannot fully provide, due to time contraints".

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
paging dr calvin, dr susan calvin

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If anyone was wondering, the good dog lives.

New dilemma, though - I got a person that's basically hooked up to life support, but is in super duper agony. They're not mentally all there though - they keep begging me to save them, they seem to think they are gonna get out of this alive but it's like, dude, you are hosed.

Do I pull the plug and let them die, against their wishes, or do I close and lock the door to their room and forget about them?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

that's not what i mean, i mean do you consider it as 'evil' or 'good'?

No.

GlyphGryph posted:

If anyone was wondering, the good dog lives.

New dilemma, though - I got a person that's basically hooked up to life support, but is in super duper agony. They're not mentally all there though - they keep begging me to save them, they seem to think they are gonna get out of this alive but it's like, dude, you are hosed.

Do I pull the plug and let them die, against their wishes, or do I close and lock the door to their room and forget about them?

Kill everyone now. Condone first degree murder. Advocate cannibalism.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

rudatron posted:

if the 'boltzmann robots' is unsatisfying, here is another possibility - they are malfunctioning human robots, caused by a glitch, caused by a random piece of solar radiation

neither of those are satisfying or believable. i defy you to come up with a way this tortured trolley problem actually makes any sense to spontaneously arise without just continuing to assert that it's theoretically possible therefore it makes sense for anyone to act on such a specifically bonkers postulate as if it just happened by chance rather than as a product of something's intent

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

"quantum mechanics and physics say that over an infinite period of time infinitesimally unlikely things become infinitely more likely, therefore since we can't figure out where this machine that tells us we have to choose between eating a baby, shooting a dog, or blowing up a planet of sentient beings we'll never cross paths with came from we have to treat this ethically like a natural disaster and not some insane idiot's toy. no other course of action would be rational in this case"

e: "oh god, who let the cockamamie ethics 0.5 robot in here?? i'll handle this... okay, robot? 1. no. 2. no. 3. remember kantian ethics? they're not perfect by any measure but they swiftly handle this case. imagine what would happen if everyone used this logic, any crazy or evil person who was sufficiently good at hiding their methods of creation would be able to make random people do whatever they wanted. how does this result in a better universe?" *robot thinks, sparks fly up and a puff of smoke comes out* "thank god, we're spared from that bullshit for three weeks while the council finds another lowest bidder to buy from and force down our throats. you got the torpedos ready right john?"

Ignatius M. Meen has issued a correction as of 11:30 on Dec 12, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

plot twist: as in real life, it's the general that actually knows more about strategy and conflict than the scientist, and the naive scientist gets everyone killed

Actually instead of 'real life' you've articulated an important plot point in The Thing from Another World. Except it was the 50's so the general saves the day.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

deadgoon posted:

what happen when one guy is like "now, by the terms of the thought experiment, we all agree that the left choice is the correct one" and i'm like "no, middle forever, gently caress you"

also literally me

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Done and done, kill everyone but dogs. Thank you thread for helping me solve my moral dillemas.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

house pets should inherit the earth

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why?

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

neither of those are satisfying or believable.
why does it have to be believable to be a valid hypothetical? it's just as absurd as suggesting 'imagine magic exists', yet people read stories with wizards and such.

like i just don't get why you're so dead set on 'disproving' me or whatever. i don't really care whether or not this situation is likely before the heat death of the universe, that's not important to me

i also don't really care how clever you are, or think you are, because you can point out that, yes, the hypothetical can't actually happen, or whatever

that doesn't matter to me

what matters to me is the ethical problems raised by the conflict between self-preservation, agency and helping others, and i'm trying to use this experiment to bring that to light, in a way that's accessible and easy to talk about

which is why i've been kind of disappointed so far, because yeah shitposts are nice and fun, but so far no one else seems to care about that, in the way i do, they just want to talk about how the aliens are clearly evil or whatever

i may have to take the nuclear option, and make a thread in DnD, but i really don't want to have to do that

Starshark posted:

Actually instead of 'real life' you've articulated an important plot point in The Thing from Another World. Except it was the 50's so the general saves the day.
well you've definitely seen more cinema than me, i've never heard of that film or seen more than like 2 films before the 1990s, i'm not exactly cultured. 'spose i shouldn't be surprised that every contemporary movie trope actually turns out to be an inversion of an older one, it's just satire all the way down

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
your philosophy makes no sense because you assume the desire to survive is more rational than any other

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fine, if you will eventually respond to my stuff i will ignore your lovely hypotheticals and go right to the core of it - if you put me in a situation where i can save two other people or myself, i will save myself, because i have other people to whom i hold major ethical obligations and doing otherwise would be wrong.

Unless those other people were people to whom i had the ethical obligations, i guess, in which case yeah sacrificing myself would the the right choice.

In a vacuum, though. As soon as you add context the ethical calculus would change. Like with the aliens - my ethical obligation to oppose evil is stronger than my ethical obligation to my children, even if my ethical obligation to random strangers is not.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Dec 12, 2016

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the angst surrounding the idea that i am only making a legalistic performance of virtue without having made a full subjective commitment to it can only be resolved with the blood of christ

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

deadgoon posted:

the angst surrounding the idea that i am only making a legalistic performance of virtue without having made a full subjective commitment to it can only be resolved with the blood of christ

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GlyphGryph posted:

Fine, if you will eventually respond to my stuff i will ignore your lovely hypotheticals and go right to the core of it - if you put me in a situation where i can save two other people or myself, i will save myself, because i have other people to whom i hold major ethical obligations and doing otherwise would be wrong.

Unless those other people were people to whom i had the ethical obligations, i guess, in which case yeah sacrificing myself would the the right choice.

In a vacuum, though. As soon as you add context the ethical calculus would change. Like with the aliens - my ethical obligation to oppose evil is stronger than my ethical obligation to my children, even if my ethical obligation to random strangers is not.

I don't think the context changes anything.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
that's only half of the hypothetical - what do you think about the switch, and the oath? at their core, the idea of them?

deadgoon posted:

your philosophy makes no sense because you assume the desire to survive is more rational than any other
not necessarily, i just had to remove spite because that guy kept using it to try and talk around it, not that it matters

deadgoon posted:

i can't parse this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rudatron posted:

i can't parse this
of course you can't

alien scum cannot understand virtue

VIGILO CONFIDO

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's more the injection of theology than anything else, but i can assure you that aliens probably do not exist, and i am probably not one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

rudatron posted:

it's more the injection of theology than anything else, but i can assure you that aliens probably do not exist, and i am probably not one
Hmm....

I mean, realistically speaking, I can nearly guarantee you that aliens exist.

• Locked thread