Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Comedy option: the original series + EoE was already a time loop even without Rebuild, Rei and Kaworu are Lilith and Adam because Lilith and Adam are Rei and Kaworu, the Dead Sea Scrolls are accurate as prophecy because they were written by people who lived through the events in question, the much-debated scene of Kaworu talking to a very strange number of monoliths and are they SEELE or the dead Angels is resolved by them being both; the Angels are SEELE's immortal bodies that they wanted to obtain through Instrumentality.

:catdrugs:

please don't take this seriously

The sad part is that with this series that is entirely plausible and not actually insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Max posted:

The sad part is that with this series that is entirely plausible and not actually insane.

It works because I'm making up nonsense that nonetheless conforms to the Angels' (and other characters') thematic roles in the series. The Angels are there to represent Shinji's traumatic experiences with adults and the Other generally, so make them literally the evil adults, etc.

e: also because it'd be really funny to me if Yui's eternal testament to the existence of mankind were... the existence of mankind :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 6, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

There's this additional self destructive theme to SEELE in a trapped loop killing their immortal selves also because they want to achieve immortality. I like it.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Was Seele always just prepped for Instrumentality since that was their whole deal? I mean they weren't even human at that point right, you can see Keel fall apart into a bunch of gadgets with a robotic spine and tang. So he was what, on life support until they could bring about Instrumentality? Hell it's probably a bigger point to make that Seele went from old man holograms to their eventual role in the series as literally disembodied voices coming from monoliths. They were artificially immortal but EoE like validated their immortality or something.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

HoneyBoy posted:

Was Seele always just prepped for Instrumentality since that was their whole deal? I mean they weren't even human at that point right, you can see Keel fall apart into a bunch of gadgets with a robotic spine and tang. So he was what, on life support until they could bring about Instrumentality? Hell it's probably a bigger point to make that Seele went from old man holograms to their eventual role in the series as literally disembodied voices coming from monoliths. They were artificially immortal but EoE like validated their immortality or something.

In the original series at least SEELE was never immortal, just composed entirely of incredibly old, bitter and decrepit men who sacrificed the whole world for a shot at godhood. The cyborg bits were just to make sure they didn't drop dead before Tang happened, since nobody wanted to miss out on ULTRA GODHOOD.

Rebuild seems to be a different kettle of fish regarding SEELE's plans.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Wasn't Seele in 3.0 revealed to be the literal Illuminati?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
There's a funny clip in anime gifs with sounds #18 with Shinji and Gendo. It fits so perfectly. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AM00rbkm4A&t=238s

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Zeruel posted:

Wasn't Seele in 3.0 revealed to be the literal Illuminati?

They pretty much always were, what with their control over the UN and all. 3.0 just shows them s disembodied brains kept alive in the monoliths.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

There's a funny clip in anime gifs with sounds #18 with Shinji and Gendo. It fits so perfectly. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AM00rbkm4A&t=238s

Nice thumbnail.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I could have swore last time I was paying attention to NGE stuff there was supposed to finally be a re-release of the TV series here in the West but, looking at Amazon, that does not seem to be the case. Maybe I misunderstood or misread something?

Are we ever going to get new DVD's or Blu-rays?

edit:

Midjack posted:

We were talking about this just up the page. As far as anyone knows the remnants of ADV still hold the rights.

Sorry, I only saw posts about SEELE.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 12, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I could have swore last time I was paying attention to NGE stuff there was supposed to finally be a re-release of the TV series here in the West but, looking at Amazon, that does not seem to be the case. Maybe I misunderstood or misread something?

Are we ever goingto get new DVD's or Blu-rays?

We were talking about this just up the page. As far as anyone knows the remnants of ADV still hold the rights.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Slime posted:

It's possible she wasn't actually dead yet by the time the tanging went down. It can take a surprising amount of time to actually die from even pretty grievous injuries.

Ak Gara posted:

Not to mention she wasn't ACTUALLY damaged. Bet it hurt like a mother fucker, though.

Well, my first post here was "holy poo poo, wait, I just realized that it is weird how Asuka IS ACTUALLY INJURED (but only selectively) what's up with that btw"

Like.... what is that, if not copious amounts of blood falling from her general eye region

E-flat posted:

And I had always taken the arm-splitting frames to be symbolic, but slowing it down--

It starts to spurt blood like it always does when there's blood to be spurted. (Quick example from a gif I made a while ago^) So it seems less symbolic than I originally thought, just... censored? Or was an anatomically-correct arm splittage too hard/not worth the effort?

If it was just her eye bleedin', yeah, I'd say no problem she manages to hang on to tang. But when she appears at the end, her eye AND arm are bandaged.

And that's a bit of a problem, because in my extremely-uncomfortable googling 'how long does it take to bleed out from a severed brachial artery' and the internet assuming I wanted to slit my wrists I came up with some stuff.

--which would be Asuka's case. Her brachial (if not axillary artery) gets cut laterally/sagittally(/bisected loving whichever, gets cut the wrong way)

I mean, if you told me Asuka is a trained fuckin' paramedic and was able to compress a completely bisected/whatever major artery in an entry plug with no visible medical supplies, I'd probably believe it, she's a 14-year old college graduate; but if not, it seems like she got to die with her mama in the end v:v:v

why yes this is how I choose spend my sunday nights :shepface:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Souls exist in evangelion and are modeled mathematically. I don't see what's crazy about Asuka "re-materializing" with bandaged remnants of her last battle, and the moment she found closure with her mother. It's a UH metaphor.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

In this scene, Shinji feels what the Eva feels, but he doesn't loose his eye for the rest of the show. I believe that Asuka arm split scene is "what she's feeling" and not "what is happening" Unit 02 gets stabbed in the face, but Asuka is not in the head of the Eva.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think with Asuka her sync ratio was high enough that the damage Unit 02 took transferred to her as well.

SYNC RATIOS, MAN.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I thought that the accepted theory is that being able to hurt pilots directly is a property of the spear of longinus

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

superstepa posted:

I thought that the accepted theory is that being able to hurt pilots directly is a property of the spear of longinus

Possible, but those were copy spears, weren't they? They can't be that good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Possible, but those were copy spears, weren't they? They can't be that good.

I think the one that impales her is the real spear come back from the moon. It's been a while since I watched EoE though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nah it's one of their weird double sword things. The sword hits her AT field, transforms into a spear, then pierces through.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Shinjobi posted:

I think with Asuka her sync ratio was high enough that the damage Unit 02 took transferred to her as well.

SYNC RATIOS, MAN.

That's how I always read it as. Partial sync = pilot takes partial damage. Full sync like Asuka in the movie? Then eye for an eye.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kind of explains Shinji getting sucked up inside Unit 01 as well. The sync ratio got so high his soul up and decided to hang out with dear ol' mumsie.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Kind of explains Shinji getting sucked up inside Unit 01 as well. The sync ratio got so high his soul up and decided to hang out with dear ol' mumsie.

This is backwards. That episode explains what happens to Asuka in EoE.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Ak Gara posted:

In this scene, Shinji feels what the Eva feels, but he doesn't loose his eye for the rest of the show. I believe that Asuka arm split scene is "what she's feeling" and not "what is happening" Unit 02 gets stabbed in the face, but Asuka is not in the head of the Eva.
The point of that gif, originally made for an entirely different thing, was just to be a visual reminder of the art/animation Gainax used to indicate blood spurting, which began in the last few frames during the scene of her arm splitting. Honestly I maybe I should have gone to the effort and edited the above gif to just show to spurting, or maybe I should've used this one to avoid this apparent confusion
but this one has so much blood spurting every whichaway it kinda obscures their paint-splatter effect.

SHISHKABOB posted:

This is backwards. That episode explains what happens to Asuka in EoE.

Aaaaaaand again this is all kinda my original discussion point. Since we don't see Shinji at all after Unit-01 reactivates against Zeruel--in fact we never see him after Unit-01 goes berserk I don't think--we don't see if his 400% sync rate meant his left arm suddenly disappeared, or if 400% sync rate is instant soup. We are only told of the sync rate after Unit-01 incorporates Zeruel's arm thingy to replace hers, leaving it a bit ambiguous as to whether they got 400% ratio just then (like, 'now they both have both upper extremities so they can reach all the way 400%!') or if it had been that high as soon as Zeruel's chest compressions worked (personally I believe the latter). It's interesting that the soup is still differential enough from the eva's usual lcl for them to determine that That Which Was Shinji is still in there. But anyway, this is a tangent.

That's why I'm interested in Asuka's sync ratio here: less than 400%, but enough to be physically damaged--selectively. The damage she apparently received while Unit-02 was active--the eye and the arm, going by how Gainax indicates fluid gushing--is reflected in the 'real world' at the end of EoE. WIth the bandaged arm and eye.

Yet she is not also eviscerated when Unit-02 is eviscerated. She writhes in pain during that moment, despite the fact that Unit-02 is out of battery. I can't visually confirm any evisceration, and her head isn't as hosed up as Unit-02's after evisceration anyway, leading credence to the idea that she was not also eviscerated, ie, did not reflect Unit-02's injured status while out of juice. Despite apparently feeling it. That's weird and interesting, or at least I think so! And I was curious what others made of it or at least get told 'yeah that got resolved back in 2006 when this one interview was translated that explains it' :kiddo:

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure we can see blood spreading from Asuka's stomach during the guts pull, but its been a while since I've seen it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

alternatively Asuka was synced high enough to tang already and what we see is just her mind trying to make sense of the sensory conflict

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Was unit ones arm broken after the battery went out or before in the first berserk sequence?

I always got the sensation that the battery giving out didn't matter if the sync ratio was high enough to activate a berserk mode, because the monster under the plating was overpowering the control mechanisms. At the same time, the pilots probably get relinked too, just because of how they are.

Cause arguably the battery and power is supplied to the armor and the armor is what moves and keeps the Eva in control. Of course the side benefit is the energy is used to link the pilot to the unit and allow them to control it.

I don't really have a point I just like the discussion. When I first watched EVA I remember thinking berserk modes were somehow in Shinji's control albeit not very rationally. I had a similar kind of reaction to the realization that he was completely without control as I did to the idea that Sephiroth in northern crater was actually controlling Jenova. As in, I didn't like it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Asuka's real arm attached to her body gets cut in half, because 1. It's metal as gently caress and 2. It shows that all the normal rules no longer apply, just like Asuka's eye, the damaged evas getting up to fight again, the spears, and everything else about that scene and most of the rest of the movie.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I'm 20 minutes into Shin Godzilla and you guys really undersold it. It's EXACTLY like Evangelion. The cuts, the pacing, the music... It's like poetry.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

I'm 20 minutes into Shin Godzilla and you guys really undersold it. It's EXACTLY like Evangelion. The cuts, the pacing, the music... It's like poetry.

Where you seeing it? I thought it had left theaters and wasn't available on video yet.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Where you seeing it? I thought it had left theaters and wasn't available on video yet.

It's on some JAL flights. $1000 but it was worth it. :smug:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Well I'm done and while it wasn't exactly a good movie, it was a good experience.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it's rad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Actually it was more in the realm of millisieverts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the subject of Asukas injuries in EoE, I'm reminded of something that always bothered me when i was younger. The entry plug is full of LCL right? If that is the case...

E-flat posted:

Like.... what is that, if not copious amounts of blood falling from her general eye region

How is the blood even able to flow like that? Wouldn't it just awkwardly float around the entry plug?

Of course the real reason that happens is because it's visceral and makes the audience react. As has been mentioned several times, it can be interpreted as more symbolic than literal.

Come to think of it, I vaguely recall one of the MP Evas having huge, wiggling maggots coming out of its partially severed arm/chest at one point. Makes no sense, especially once you realize those magots must each be the size of a large truck but a cool image.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe they're little nascent kaworus, like how Rei pops out of other poo poo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, I never even noticed that blood pouring out like that. Even on a recent watch of the blurays. :stonk:

But also:

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/812050093914411008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Nyeehg posted:

Come to think of it, I vaguely recall one of the MP Evas having huge, wiggling maggots coming out of its partially severed arm/chest at one point. Makes no sense, especially once you realize those magots must each be the size of a large truck but a cool image.

I think those are supposed to be severed tendons.