Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

:yeah:

Although it looks like it has a few chapters left to go, at least? The latest one isn't marked final.

yeah it's a full volume so probably 2-3 more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

yeah it's a full volume so probably 2-3 more?

Good. :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kanna to Decchi is getting updated again yay

For a refresher it's the one with the guy who starts living with a girl and her family so he can apprentice as a carpenter with her smokin hot dad and they end up being really cute and flirty with each other (the apprentice and girl I mean, not the dad lol).

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Kanna to Decchi is cute and good, and I'm also glad it's getting more updates.

I think there was a fair amount of woodworking trivia in there too? Which is cool.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nondevor posted:

Kanna to Decchi is cute and good, and I'm also glad it's getting more updates.

I think there was a fair amount of woodworking trivia in there too? Which is cool.

Indeed!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I feel like there's a "XXXXX is a YYYYY manga" reminder text box gag waiting to be made here. Because if that genuinely *is* a woodworking manga, holy poo poo, count me in, Japanese woodworking is hardcore.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJoinery_jp/status/804893211877441538

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I feel like there's a "XXXXX is a YYYYY manga" reminder text box gag waiting to be made here. Because if that genuinely *is* a woodworking manga, holy poo poo, count me in, Japanese woodworking is hardcore.

I think my favorite one of these is 87 Clockers, which recently ended.

87 Clockers is a manga about a violinist, created by the author of Nodame Cantabile, a manga about classical musicians, love and classical music, which won the Kodansha award for shoujo and also was super deep into the world of music and really great at music knowledge.

87 Clockers is also a love story, sort of, and definitely shoujo.

87 Clockers is, however, first and foremost a manga about competitive hardcore PC overclocking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oh, you sweet summer child.

This is the kind of poo poo that makes me, in my day job as a CAD modeller/CAM programmer, feel inferior and emasculated. On an island where all the iron was of low quality and was hoarded for weapons of war, they had to do a lot of loving gymnastics to achieve what they do with wood and glue.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 12, 2016

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJoinery_jp/status/732547370592821249/photo/1

:stare:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJoinery_jp/status/727473157729198080/photo/1

:stonk:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJoinery_jp/status/725277980692340736/photo/1

At this point I realize I'm looking at somebody's masturbation material.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, mine. :unsmigghh:

edit: It goes beyond that, though. An example of a crucial difference between Japanese and non-Japanese woodworking is when they build temples: They actually build gaps into the structure, with the understanding that the building, being made of wood, *will* settle over time, closing the gaps and making the structure more solid in the future.

edit edit: This is my favorite bit of "god I am such a hack, why do I even bother": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmEGs0PAVOY Just 27 minutes of solid "everything you do with metal and plastic on a daily basis will never match up to what these people do with wood". It's actually 27 minutes because it loops in order to defeat content ID.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 13, 2016

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that makes me, in my day job as a CAD modeller/CAM programmer, feel inferior and emasculated. On an island where all the iron was of low quality and was hoarded for weapons of war, they had to do a lot of loving gymnastics to achieve what they do with wood and glue.

^5 fellow CAD professional

I'm a product designer with a love of furniture and Japanese design

Japanese joinery is INTENSE and beautiful. And Kanna to Decchi is lovely!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Teasing Master Takagi - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Ch-041--Would-You-Rather?id=336040

Just Kiss Already!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

JosephWongKS posted:

Just Kiss Already!

Could be the subtitle for this thread.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I posted the first joinery I saw, because I'm lazy and it kind of looked like a dick.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just 27 minutes of solid "everything you do with metal and plastic on a daily basis will never match up to what these people do with wood".

I have the weirdest boner right now

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that woodworking video is neat, plus you can see the really thin shavings they talked about in the latest chapter!

That makes what Kacchan is learning a lot more impressive tbh, it's a little more complicated than what I was originally imagining from watching too much HGTV lmao

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I have the weirdest boner right now

For the most part, I enjoy what I do. There is a certain gratification I get from having created something with my own two hands. But machining these days is all CAM and interpolation and machine deterministic path selection, and that kind of takes some of the satisfaction out of it. The romance is gone, and I hardly ever get to make a part by hand anymore, and even then, a lot of the time I'm spinning the knob on a handle control box, not turning a wheel or a crank with feedback that I can feel the exact rate I need to turn it for a good finish.

Sometimes I wonder if I need to move out of semiconductor/aerospace/medical and into, say, bespoke firearms manufacture. There are some glorious shotgun makers in England, (although Brexit so who the gently caress knows anymore)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 13, 2016

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I have a high respect for carpenters and metal/jewelry makers because goddamn do I have no skill in those areas when I took those classes in college.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
After the groundbreaking fireworks festival arc, it's apparently back to status quo at the student council - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaguya-sama-wa-Kokurasetai-Tensai-tachi-no-Renai-Zunousen/Vol-005-Ch-046--Kaguya-Doesn-t-Want-to-Avoid?id=336056

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personally I find traditional smithcraft to be the one that keeps me spellbound. It is magical.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

JosephWongKS posted:

After the groundbreaking fireworks festival arc, it's apparently back to status quo at the student council - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaguya-sama-wa-Kokurasetai-Tensai-tachi-no-Renai-Zunousen/Vol-005-Ch-046--Kaguya-Doesn-t-Want-to-Avoid?id=336056

I love these dumb teenagers :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A second new chapter of Teasing Titan Takagi in the same day! - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Ch-042--Horror?id=336074

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spooky Goat is pretty freaky, really.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

JosephWongKS posted:

1 step forward, 2 steps backwards :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

1 step forward, 2 steps backwards :(

How dare she take it out on Fujiwara :argh:

She just wants to play games with her friends :(

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Two bonus chapters of Their Story.

Best friends~

Snow day

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Brainamp posted:

Two bonus chapters of Their Story.

Best friends~

Snow day

Chillin' with her bff
Chillin' with her gf

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really feel like watching some yuri, but what is there to watch? Already seen Strawberry Panic, Maria-sama ga Miterau, Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana and Sakura Trick.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Poil posted:

I really feel like watching some yuri, but what is there to watch? Already seen Strawberry Panic, Maria-sama ga Miterau, Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana and Sakura Trick.

That's it. :rip:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
watch uh...

kannazuki no miko i guess

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Utena. It's both good and long enough that you won't be so tempted to watch those bad shows.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey we've got citrus and ntr coming up soon, gonna be a good time!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

While there's not much more in the way of real-world settings with two female characters who fall in love, there are a few good shows that feature yuri either with subtext or with some of the side characters.

Bodacious Space Pirates for one, Sailor Moon for another.

Do not watch Kanazuki no Miko.

Oh, the currently airing Flip Flappers too! Again though, it's fantasy/sci-fi not just everyday life.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Terper posted:

Blind reactions to the latter are gonna be fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the replies. :)

a kitten posted:

That's it. :rip:
:smith:

Paracelsus posted:

Utena. It's both good and long enough that you won't be so tempted to watch those bad shows.
Seen it, but it's not yuri is it? It's all fighting, weirdness, riding cars dangerously in the middle of the night and cracking open the eggshell of the world or whatever they were talking about. They were very close but I never thought of it as in a romantic way.

a kitten posted:

While there's not much more in the way of real-world settings with two female characters who fall in love, there are a few good shows that feature yuri either with subtext or with some of the side characters.

Bodacious Space Pirates for one, Sailor Moon for another.
Seen it and the only character I can remember the name of is Blaster Ririka (because she had such an awesome name :hellyeah:). I haven't felt any desire to watch Sailor Moon, isn't it absolutely massive?

Blhue posted:

kannazuki no miko i guess

quote:

Do not watch Kanazuki no Miko.
Already have and I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

quote:

Oh, the currently airing Flip Flappers too! Again though, it's fantasy/sci-fi not just everyday life.
It's really weird. Nothing everyday life about it at all. Anyway I can only handle so much flip flapping so I've fallen behind on watching it however.

Terper posted:

But they're not out right noooow. :v: What is ntr by the way?

Motto posted:

Blind reactions to the latter are gonna be fun.
Hey, nice avatar. I just finished Kindred Spirits on The Roof earlier this evening (where did those 30 hours go?). Being able to search the steam store for yuri is pretty awesome. :toot:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's Yurikuma Arashi too, I suppose.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

There's Yurikuma Arashi too, I suppose.
Oh, right. I was never able to get past the first episode for some reason.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Symphogear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Terper posted:

:barf: