Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GEMorris posted:

As a schoolteacher you are criminally underpaid for one.

I don't think you are the target market for handcrafted furniture, but quality built manufactured non-flat-pack furniture should be an option for you (I'm placing that should on our economy and culture, not you, btw).

"Unrealistically expensive" is really loaded as globalization and the continued externalization of environmental costs and human rights abuses has skewed our perception, as a society, of what something "should" cost.

I meant that I could not realistically afford it, rather than it should not realistically cost that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think he understands you, but he has some side points that he wanted to air and your post was just a way to do it.

I, too, would prefer a society with more durable and maintainable goods.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I meant that I could not realistically afford it, rather than it should not realistically cost that much.

Oh I definitely got that. The fundamental problem in your case is our society's continued undervaluing of many of our most important public servants.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I think he understands you, but he has some side points that he wanted to air and your post was just a way to do it.

Sorry if I offended you but I felt they were necessary for my main point to be understood. I was not trying to use Stultus as a soapbox.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 28, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I, too, would prefer a society with more durable and maintainable goods.

Me too, which is why almost every piece of furniture in my house is an antique, either from a shop or passed down through family.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GEMorris posted:

What I don't understand is why the people who recognize the corrosive role of marketing in our society don't make the decision to save and buy fewer higher quality pieces that will last them their whole lives.

In my case, because I am gonna make it myself.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

GEMorris posted:

What I don't understand is why the people who recognize the corrosive role of marketing in our society don't make the decision to save and buy fewer higher quality pieces that will last them their whole lives.

They've valid points, but there's something to be said for people wanting (or genuinely needing) variety in their furniture. I've moved from apartment complexes to a house in the suburbs to a highrise condo -- each place had its own needs, inhabitants, aesthetics. Having for-life furniture isn't necessarily the best fit given how much circumstances and tastes can change.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I made the decision to consolidate on precious shop space and am doing the whole saw wing router thing. Question: what's the easiest way to get the router centred on the plate? I'm thinking it's something like "take off baseplate, center baseplate on router plate by eyeball and/or jig, centrepunch holes, spot drill punch marks, drill 1mm oversize clearance holes, drill counterbore, mount router and leave screws loose, find a cone with a 1/4" arbor or whatever, chuck cone in router, raise router until cone centers router in plate, cinch screws" but that's an assache since I don't have a cone handy and don't have access to a lathe. Ideas?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tim Thomas posted:

I made the decision to consolidate on precious shop space and am doing the whole saw wing router thing. Question: what's the easiest way to get the router centred on the plate? I'm thinking it's something like "take off baseplate, center baseplate on router plate by eyeball and/or jig, centrepunch holes, spot drill punch marks, drill 1mm oversize clearance holes, drill counterbore, mount router and leave screws loose, find a cone with a 1/4" arbor or whatever, chuck cone in router, raise router until cone centers router in plate, cinch screws" but that's an assache since I don't have a cone handy and don't have access to a lathe. Ideas?

I dont know if its the easiest, but I took off the baseplate, put a piece of paper over it, located the screw holes and made a mark where they were on the paper, then used that as a template on the router plate.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You have the right idea with the cone, but just grab this doodad or one like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...xlKL&ref=plSrch

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Has anyone seen puzzles like these before? They look like fun to try to make, but I have no idea how they fit together or how they're made. It'd be nice to have some idea of project scope before I drop money on plans.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Trabant posted:

They've valid points, but there's something to be said for people wanting (or genuinely needing) variety in their furniture. I've moved from apartment complexes to a house in the suburbs to a highrise condo -- each place had its own needs, inhabitants, aesthetics. Having for-life furniture isn't necessarily the best fit given how much circumstances and tastes can change.

Yeah, I would say that the biggest problem with Schwartz' stance (and again, a stance I find very laudable and personally compelling) is that there's a lot of people with a lot of different tastes, and sometimes those tastes change.

I think the designs in his book look both timeless and classic and appeal to me very much as someone who generally likes minimalism, but you can be a non-rich person who likes ornamentation and flair and things to change.

On the other hand, I think that a society where furniture was something that was built to last a long time with many different owners would be interesting, where as your tastes changed it was typical to buy and sell used furniture.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

GEMorris posted:

As someone who has tried to make a serious go of it making things, I can't see why someone would take on the struggles of making quality craft for a living unless they had no other alternative. I had the option to lateral to the software world and did so once it was clear I would be struggling for the rest of my life as a maker.

I do understand why people buy IKEA, for the same reason I understand why people buy plastic crap they know will break. In that I understand how marketing and its agent fashion conspire to perform aggravated assault on the psyche of the modern human.

What I don't understand is why the people who recognize the corrosive role of marketing in our society don't make the decision to save and buy fewer higher quality pieces that will last them their whole lives. This type of furniture is still manufactured and if you sit down and do the math on how many times you'll re-buy the same crappy disposable furniture, it's not hard to see the value in buying quality from the start. I realize there are a lot of class considerations here, and many people do not have the financial means, but I see the disposable furniture trend within my own priveldged peer group and it baffles me.

Man you are right on the money. Terry Pratchett more or less formed my entire economic mindset with his "Poor Man's Shoes dilemma". A rich man buys a good pair of boots maybe once every five years and they last. A poor man buys lovely boots every season and ends up spending more.

As a nice sideline I kind of want to build inexpensive but durable furniture - no fancy woods, simple lines, but something that will take a beating and last for decades.

But on the other hand it's never been easier for folks to also be makers of things. I dunno, bygone days I guess.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

3 birthdays fall between Christmas and New Years for my family, so the Christmas giftmaking season is extended. This is the last of it.

Salt box/salt cellar. Super easy to knock out a couple at a time, and a pretty good time to use 8/4 scraps and thin cool figured wood that's too warped to be anything else.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
What grits do you guys use when sharpening chisels/hand planes? I'm currently using a double-sided DMT diamond stone (fine/extra fine) for everything, followed up with a leather strop with some honing compound. Is it worth picking up the extra-extra fine stone (I think it is 8000 grit)? Am I really missing out by not getting a finer edge?

I got some Lee Valley gift cards as present and I keep looking over their store. I'm pretty set as far as 'core' hand tools go, does anyone have any recommendations? I've been contemplating a pair of these (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69837&cat=1,41637) and maybe their Veritas dual marking gauge.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Make your own planing stop.

What tools do you already have? What type of work do you do?

I do scary sharp and I think the .3 micron paper I use for final hone is 60,000 grit equivalent? It's total overkill. In general though I think anything 8,000+ is sufficient.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Make your own planing stop.

What tools do you already have? What type of work do you do?

I do scary sharp and I think the .3 micron paper I use for final hone is 60,000 grit equivalent? It's total overkill. In general though I think anything 8,000+ is sufficient.

I'm hand-tool focused currently. I think my next project will be a dry sink.

I have a nice old Stanley No.7 jointer, a No.5, a No.3, a few block planes, and a full set of splitproof Marples chisels passed on to me by my grandfather.

I also have an assortment of rip and crosscut saws, so I'm not really in the market for any. Maybe some tools for sharpening/tuning them?

The only plane I really lack is a plow plane, but the Veritas is very pricey. I've been looking for a Stanley no. 45 to refurbish, which would also serve a few other functions as well.

EDIT: I will probably get this as an alternative to the plane stops: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31148&cat=1,41637

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 29, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I'm hand-tool focused currently. I think my next project will be a dry sink.

I have a nice old Stanley No.7 jointer, a No.5, a No.3, a few block planes, and a full set of splitproof Marples chisels passed on to me by my grandfather.

I also have an assortment of rip and crosscut saws, so I'm not really in the market for any. Maybe some tools for sharpening/tuning them?

The only plane I really lack is a plow plane, but the Veritas is very pricey. I've been looking for a Stanley no. 45 to refurbish, which would also serve a few other functions as well.

Ooo yeah I got that Veritas planing stop. It's pretty situationally useful. Nice if you have an awkward sized board or if you need to keep it from twisting.

When I sharpen I usually go with a coarse/fine/Xfine DMT stone and a strop and it puts a good enough edge on things. Your honing compound is about 15000 grit which is plenty for a mirror polish.

Be warned buying a plow plane on ebay- I own four of the bastards because they're all missing pieces here and there.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Be warned buying a plow plane on ebay- I own four of the bastards because they're all missing pieces here and there.

Yeah that seems to be the issue, finding a complete set. And 'complete' sets are going for as much as the Veritas plow with all the cutters.

Same deal with the Stanley router plane. They easily go for $150+ in decent condition. At that price I'd rather go with the Veritas or Lie-Nielsen and not have to worry about refurbing it.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Has anyone seen puzzles like these before? They look like fun to try to make, but I have no idea how they fit together or how they're made. It'd be nice to have some idea of project scope before I drop money on plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Starts at 31:00. The whole video is also pretty great for setting up a bandsaw.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

3 birthdays fall between Christmas and New Years for my family, so the Christmas giftmaking season is extended. This is the last of it.

Salt box/salt cellar. Super easy to knock out a couple at a time, and a pretty good time to use 8/4 scraps and thin cool figured wood that's too warped to be anything else.

Cute, & nice salvage of scraps. Shame to burn that stuff.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The veritas plow plane is amazingly good and I can't recommend it enough, it's worth more than what they charge for it for sure.

That being said if you don't have a router plane get the full sized router plane first.

I still see no reason for purchasing a planing stop, but I don't know your bench setup. When I need a wide stop I put a batten across my built in stop at one end and clamp the other end with a holdfast.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What grits do you guys use when sharpening chisels/hand planes? I'm currently using a double-sided DMT diamond stone (fine/extra fine) for everything, followed up with a leather strop with some honing compound. Is it worth picking up the extra-extra fine stone (I think it is 8000 grit)? Am I really missing out by not getting a finer edge?

I got some Lee Valley gift cards as present and I keep looking over their store. I'm pretty set as far as 'core' hand tools go, does anyone have any recommendations? I've been contemplating a pair of these (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69837&cat=1,41637) and maybe their Veritas dual marking gauge.

For sharpening, I bought the 3 plate set from DMT, it's got 325, 600, and 1200 grit (by their measure, different manufacturers have different standards) along with a strop with some extra fine buffing compound off Amazon. It works well enough, I get nice fine plane shavings. I sharpen free hand.

Edit: I should say I dislike the polka dot pattern on the cheaper DMTs. When I replace them, I will be getting the more expensive 8"x3" plates.

I just picked up a 8000 grit DMT, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm hoping it will improve end grain planing performance, I know 1200 isn't nearly enough for that, and it shows on my shooting board.

As for the marking gauge, I bought one since some blog was super enthusiastic about it, but I'm less than thrilled with it. It works fine for what it is, but I find myself just reaching for the combination square far more often. Less fiddly and plenty accurate. I don't regret buying it, I still use it on occasion, but I wouldn't say it's a necessity.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 29, 2016

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

GEMorris posted:

The veritas plow plane is amazingly good and I can't recommend it enough, it's worth more than what they charge for it for sure.

That being said if you don't have a router plane get the full sized router plane first.

I still see no reason for purchasing a planing stop, but I don't know your bench setup. When I need a wide stop I put a batten across my built in stop at one end and clamp the other end with a holdfast.

I currently have a Nicholson style workbench (with no built-in stop) and some Gramercy holdfasts, as well as a leg vise (just installed yesterday). I have some plastic bench dogs but I like the low-profile of the recessed and aluminum stops.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

EDIT: I will probably get this as an alternative to the plane stops: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31148&cat=1,41637

Do you have a router plane? Because the veritas one is amazing and not -too- horrifyingly expensive.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

I currently have a Nicholson style workbench (with no built-in stop) and some Gramercy holdfasts, as well as a leg vise (just installed yesterday). I have some plastic bench dogs but I like the low-profile of the recessed and aluminum stops.

Gotcha. I recommend retrofitting the built in stop if you can, for me I can't imagine working without one, but I know it can be done.

The first image here is what I do when I need a wide stop

Hypnolobster posted:

Do you have a router plane? Because the veritas one is amazing and not -too- horrifyingly expensive.

Seconded, a router plane makes a lot of precision possible on a lot of joinery. If I had to start over I'd probably progress this way:

No 6 -> block plane -> router plane, before I bought my other planes.

Just as an example of how useful and versatile i think the tool is.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Gotcha. I recommend retrofitting the built in stop if you can, for me I can't imagine working without one, but I know it can be done.

The first image here is what I do when I need a wide stop

Seconded, a router plane makes a lot of precision possible on a lot of joinery. If I had to start over I'd probably progress this way:

No 6 -> block plane -> router plane, before I bought my other planes.

Just as an example of how useful and versatile i think the tool is.

I'll probably be picking up the Veritas router plane. What are your feelings on getting the fence with it?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

I'll probably be picking up the Veritas router plane. What are your feelings on getting the fence with it?

It is cheap enough that unless you are planning on picking up the plow plane in short order, I'd get it. While it's no substitute for having a dedicated plow, with patience it should, based on what I've heard/read, work well enough to give you the ability to make grooves.

This does not apply to the fence on the old Stanley's/lie Nielsen router plane, that thing is a joke imo (I own the lie Nielsen but wish I owned the veritas, and will likely make the switch at some point in the future.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Flattened Spoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Starts at 31:00. The whole video is also pretty great for setting up a bandsaw.

Aha, thanks, I think I can suss it out from that.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I keep poking around Cragistlist and the Habitat store looking at tools, even though I shouldn't. Today I ran across a Dewalt 746 table saw that has been extended with extra long rails, wing and a mobile base. Plus it comes with a Grr-ripper, left and right Dubby crosscut sleds, 3 AIO camps (24", 36", 50"), a Craftsman dovetail jig and a slew of other smaller accessories. It's listed at $500 and could snag it for $400. Is it worth taking the plunge, or is it not worth the effort? The accessories alone almost seem worth it even if I had to resell the saw. I have a photo of the saw and smaller accessories, but not the AIO clamp guides or the Dubby sleds. They were all in great shape though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Sharpening question: how important is the leather strop and compound? I ordered a honing guide and I'll pick up some wet-dry sandpaper locally, but I forgot to purchase the strop and compound when I ordered the guide.

Also, is there any special technique when it comes to flattening the back of a chisel, plane sole, or plane knife-- or do I really just hold it flat against the paper and sand until the back looks uniformly flat/polished?

I've watched several videos on the subject now, and it looks straightforward, but I'm sure that, like anything else Paul Sellers puts out, they make it look much easier than it truly is.

Also, I purchased the 4-pack Czech Narex chisels that I saw recommended around the web cause I figure I will find a use for them and I'd like to learn to sharpen and use these hand tools. Did I make a mistake on this impulse purchase?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 29, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Narex chisels have an internet reported history of having consistency issues. I can't say you made a bad purchase but my recommendation for quality on a reasonable budget is the Stanley Sweetheart chisels.

The leather strop and compound is the final step if you sharpen on media that can't go to an extremely high grit. It's not required if you are using high grit Waterstones or high grit sandpaper.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

Sharpening question: how important is the leather strop and compound? I ordered a honing guide and I'll pick up some wet-dry sandpaper locally, but I forgot to purchase the strop and compound when I ordered the guide.

Also, is there any special technique when it comes to flattening the back of a chisel, plane sole, or plane knife-- or do I really just hold it flat against the paper and sand until the back looks uniformly flat/polished?

I've watched several videos on the subject now, and it looks straightforward, but I'm sure that, like anything else Paul Sellers puts out, they make it look much easier than it truly is.

Also, I purchased the 4-pack Czech Narex chisels that I saw recommended around the web cause I figure I will find a use for them and I'd like to learn to sharpen and use these hand tools. Did I make a mistake on this impulse purchase?

As much as Sellers likes to just effortlessly do some poo poo, his sharpening videos are pretty straight on. Flattening is just as you describe, and you shouldn't have to do it hardly ever other than right when you get it to true it up. A strop and compound isn't essential so it's not like you can't start working without it.

Worst case with those Narex is that they won't hold an edge or are a pain, but if that's the case then you end up with general purpose gently caress-up-able chisels which aren't terrible to have around. More than likely they'll be fine.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

NPR Journalizard posted:

I dont know if its the easiest, but I took off the baseplate, put a piece of paper over it, located the screw holes and made a mark where they were on the paper, then used that as a template on the router plate.
Alternative take off the base plate and photocopy it. Instant template.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Ah, on strops, they are just straps of leather with some oil or whatever stuff to help keep them flexible and a couple d rings to have something to hang or put a handle on. I've made a few, not hard.

You can also use them with compound or without. With adds a little cutting action for a quick tune up, without is really just for dealing with a wire edge and freshening up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GEMorris posted:

My HS English teacher would say, 'No man is an island.' And I think it applies. There really aren't many people who recognize the "corrosive role of marketing" (which is a good phrase btw). There are many who would say they do, just like they will say, 'everything on tv is fake,' but they don't really believe it because deep down they have been inundated since birth by various groups, political and business, that want to reprogram how how we think. And their parents and grandparents before them, you get the idea. And those groups have been very successful as evidenced by the amount of fake news that gets forwarded through email, posted on FB, or ranted about at public gatherings. Most people do not question what they are told. It's part of the world they/we live in and culture is a very difficult thing to escape because it's tied so strongly to your identity. And even if a person is aware that doesn't mean they will agree it's a bad thing. And if they get married or have some other significant person in their lives, they have to consider that person's wishes as well. So in the end, it boils down to a fairly small amount of people that are going to actively resist manipulation.

I go to great lengths to eliminate advertising from my life, because I do believe it is "corrosive." I only watch television if I can record the show and skip commercials (or netflix). I don't read newspapers. I don't watch the news. I use ad blockers. If I'm listening to the radio and commercial comes on, I mute the radio or turn it off. About the only advertising I see are billboards and other public displays, product placements, probably a few others that creep in, and I do feel it makes a difference.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

wormil posted:

I go to great lengths to eliminate advertising from my life, because I do believe it is "corrosive." I only watch television if I can record the show and skip commercials (or netflix). I don't read newspapers. I don't watch the news. I use ad blockers. If I'm listening to the radio and commercial comes on, I mute the radio or turn it off. About the only advertising I see are billboards and other public displays, product placements, probably a few others that creep in, and I do feel it makes a difference.

This is how I live as well. Sometimes I think it's the only way to stay sane.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

This is how I live as well. Sometimes I think it's the only way to stay sane.

Woah, :tinfoil: does a 180 out of thread.

Actually I agree with both you guys strenuously. It really is evil and I use that word judiciously, if not D&D-ingly.

Wait, you two are agreeing on a thing? Endtimes alert!

edit- there's times when I try to not understand the English language just to block out that terrible advertising noise

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I agree or disagree with people based on my experience not because of their personality or because I'm a drama seeker.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

I agree or disagree with people based on my experience not because of their personality or because I'm a drama seeker.

let me have my jokes
/
:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Fine Woodworking's free plan of the day is a bent lamination garden chair that looks pretty bitchin'. That is a lot of bent lamination though.
https://www.instagram.com/finewoodworkingmagazine/