Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Slash posted:

Was any of it Cisco kit? I was taken on a demo tour of sorts and their high end stuff is ridiculously awesome, and huge.

No, the actual VC unit was Lifesize. The huge frame and glass unit was a different small name brand. I can't recall it but I'll google around and find it.

This thing: http://www.telepresencetech.com/3d-telepresence.html

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The percentage of large video conferencing setups that actually get used for their intended purpose as opposed to a cargo cult purchase where the cameras never get used after the first week must be in the single figures.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I thought they were all purchased to watch the football game if you have to be in on a weekend

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The percentage of large video conferencing setups that actually get used for their intended purpose as opposed to a cargo cult purchase where the cameras never get used after the first week must be in the single figures.

When I forgot to do one of their silly online exams for a week Polycom revoked our Voice systems certification and was a real pain in the rear end about us getting it back.

We decided that there was no market for the video systems and all of our techs let that lapse. They've been emailing me weekly for over two years saying our Video systems certification is in jeopardy.

Seems they want to keep their count of certified installers as high as possible. I've literally seen one other unit outside of Polycom's demo rooms, and that was in a DoJ building in DC.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thanks Ants posted:

This is really disappointing, because conferencing is dramatically more engaging with video, and gives you the visual cues you miss on pure audio. I'm seriously glad that I don't have to do just voice conference calls anymore.

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No, the actual VC unit was Lifesize. The huge frame and glass unit was a different small name brand. I can't recall it but I'll google around and find it.

This thing: http://www.telepresencetech.com/3d-telepresence.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RUN, HE'S TRYING TO PULL YOU INTO HIS DIMENSION!

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

xzzy posted:

The amount of money they dump into video conferencing and collaboration-enabling doodads is absurd. I don't know what their actual budget is but googling the model numbers of things they buy is nonstop sticker shock.
All of our meeting rooms (like 30+) have some insane Cisco teleconference bullshit in them. Tens of thousands per room.

Everyone just uses Hangouts and Airplays to one of the TVs if someone needs to dial in.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

That is exactly it. It was huge. It's like 4'Wx4'Hx3'D. I can count on one hand the number of times it was actually turned on and used for a conference in 5 years. But I'd have to take off the gloves and shoes of a hundred people to count the number of times it was critical I stayed late to test it because we had a critical demo the next day.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

dc3k posted:

All of our meeting rooms (like 30+) have some insane Cisco teleconference bullshit in them. Tens of thousands per room.

Everyone just uses Hangouts and Airplays to one of the TVs if someone needs to dial in.

These things?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/collaboration-endpoints/telepresence-mx800/model.html

I swear someone on the IS team got a kickback from Cisco, because we're putting these drat things everywhere, even in rooms that have no need for video conferencing. 10'x10' 6 person room that one SVP uses for little sit downs with their directors maybe once a week? gently caress it, slap one of these in there.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
They are so paranoid about security in our place, they cover up the VC camera in case it broadcasts somewhere :iiam:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

angry armadillo posted:

They are so paranoid about security in our place, they cover up the VC camera in case it broadcasts somewhere :iiam:

We frequently get repair calls in our factory location because workers sneak into conference rooms to take an unscheduled break and disconnect the video conference units because they think the cameras can spy on them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

Most cameras in our Polycom installations have a feature where they turn to face the wall, when not in use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nielsm posted:

Most cameras in our Polycom installations have a feature where they turn to face the wall, when not in use.

But the polygon remotes have that stupid feature where you pick them up and they wake up the camera. So when the meeting starts and someone moves the remote out of their way, everyone's all DEY SPYIN ON US.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We have a report that needs to be run to see what we owe in royalties for products, one per artist per month quarter or year depending on contract. This report takes forever and no one has really complained to me that it keeps taking longer and longer as time goes on I figure it's just coded like crap because it was made 20 years ago. I'm not a programmer so I'm not going to rewrite the hundreds of lines this thing does.

CFO complains that new hardware seems to take longer than old when running this report. I have logs Harddrives are pushing peeking at 8x the old hardwares MB/s that can't possibly be it.

Guess what was happening
Moron who made it took a date range and checked every order ever made in the system to see if it fell into the range instead of filtering the table for the date range needed, I also filtered by the provided Royalty ID

It now runs in under a minute instead of 4-6 hours per ID. There's a few dozen IDs. 2 lines of code, because for some reason every order goes through the entire list twice and I'm not going to modify and troubleshoot that hot mess.

I did get to prove that the new hardware was faster with side by side windows in both environments on the new code that was fun.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
My company is EXTREMELY anti-alcohol at every level, but at the same time I don't really have any kind of per diem when I travel other than not being unreasonable. I've literally never even had an expense questioned for random one-off hardware purchases for testing or evaluating down or taking a pile of people out for dinner/lunch when I visit a site. I am not some high-up person either, they just treat us like we will be responsible and professional. It's kinda nice.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

But the polygon remotes have that stupid feature where you pick them up and they wake up the camera. So when the meeting starts and someone moves the remote out of their way, everyone's all DEY SPYIN ON US.

People react the same way when the Surface Hub turns on as you enter the room. "No, the camera doesn't always record. They just.. um... detect the lights coming on through the infrared sensor for the remote. For reals!"

People still love them though, so there's that.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

AlternateAccount posted:

My company is EXTREMELY anti-alcohol at every level, but at the same time I don't really have any kind of per diem when I travel other than not being unreasonable. I've literally never even had an expense questioned for random one-off hardware purchases for testing or evaluating down or taking a pile of people out for dinner/lunch when I visit a site. I am not some high-up person either, they just treat us like we will be responsible and professional. It's kinda nice.

Hmm.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shocking as it is, its possible to be against something, yet still think people are responsible enough to be trusted.

For instance, I'm against crack smoking, but think that most of my co-workers can be trusted not to do it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Shocking as it is, its possible to be against something, yet still think people are responsible enough to be trusted.

For instance, I'm against crack smoking, but think that most of my co-workers can be trusted not to do it.

Your terrible analogy only works if crack is legal and more or less socially acceptable. Don't need me to tell you this, but it isn't.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He could be in Utah.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sheep posted:

Your terrible analogy only works if crack is legal and more or less socially acceptable. Don't need me to tell you this, but it isn't.

Legality defines what is morally/ethically acceptable?

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 6, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

RFC2324 posted:

Legality defines what is morally/ethically acceptable?

No but something illegal is unlikely to be tolerated on the company dime, regardless of moral standing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

You are correct, wrong place

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

You are correct, wrong place
You would've had better success if you'd used weed in your analogy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

You would've had better success if you'd used weed in your analogy.

Except I think weed is just fine, and more acceptable than alcohol, despite its legal standing. And I'm borderline alcoholic :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HP you incompetent fucks. When I look up a unit configuration based on the laptop's serial number and part number, and I order the only LCD panel listed.... that motherfucker had better be the right drat panel. But it isn't. Thank god our CTO is covering for parts ordering right now so I've got heavy hitter to deal with HP.

<mr.garrison>
HP motherfuckers ! You goat-dropped pieces of poo poo !
</mr.garrison>

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

HP you incompetent fucks. When I look up a unit configuration based on the laptop's serial number and part number, and I order the only LCD panel listed.... that motherfucker had better be the right drat panel. But it isn't. Thank god our CTO is covering for parts ordering right now so I've got heavy hitter to deal with HP.

<mr.garrison>
HP motherfuckers ! You goat-dropped pieces of poo poo !
</mr.garrison>

When I worked in a shop, we had this problem with literally every manufacturer. The policy became no LCD replacements without pulling the panel first.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's not worth your time to gently caress around with laptops just get the tech to come on site and if the wrong part was per-delivered they get to come out again!

I hate opening laptops.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
As lovely as opening up laptops is, I just wish there some standardisation when it comes to power adapter connectors as they keep frigging changing.

In Europe the legal standard for mobile phones is micro USB (despite Apple getting around it), I'm also a bit miffed because a guy I kitted out with a laptop just before Christmas has broken his spare charger (the connector is snapped apart, who loving does this?) and I don't want to have to deal with a lovely manager when it comes to purchasing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateAccount posted:

Our small company is very pro alcohol. Our christmas lunch was followed by a pub crawl, and a gift to everyone of an xmas card and a $100 Dan Murphy's gift card. (It's an Aussie bottle shop chain)

Nothing like "you must go drinking with us to fit in", just sociable "we're going drinking, wanna come?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Super Slash posted:

As lovely as opening up laptops is, I just wish there some standardisation when it comes to power adapter connectors as they keep frigging changing.

In Europe the legal standard for mobile phones is micro USB (despite Apple getting around it), I'm also a bit miffed because a guy I kitted out with a laptop just before Christmas has broken his spare charger (the connector is snapped apart, who loving does this?) and I don't want to have to deal with a lovely manager when it comes to purchasing.

If you buy all One brand the laptops will usually share power supplies. USB-C should eventually catch on as universal power but who knows how long that will take

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Overseeing our multinational phone system migration to RingCentral this weekend.

Mostly well and good, except... our CEO's extension can't be called from the UK. 101 is a restricted emergency number. So either he changes it, or nobody from the UK calls him unless we direct-dial.

How did RC not catch this? Oh well, not my problem.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

If you buy all One brand the laptops will usually share power supplies. USB-C should eventually catch on as universal power but who knows how long that will take

You'd think so but we're a HP shop and there are three different types out there, Probook Generation 1, 2, then 4. I think the gen 1 & 2 share the same connector but have different power requirements, the annoyance also comes from buying them I've been sent an older generation plug a couple times and have the explain it's wrong as the newer ones have smaller connectors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Woogles posted:

Overseeing our multinational phone system migration to RingCentral this weekend.

Mostly well and good, except... our CEO's extension can't be called from the UK. 101 is a restricted emergency number. So either he changes it, or nobody from the UK calls him unless we direct-dial.

How did RC not catch this? Oh well, not my problem.

Cant make him 001?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All I can think of is to introduce a prefix to dial internally to other offices, but this then breaks things like returning missed calls (will show as 101, you redial, get the police non-emergency number).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Our small company is very pro alcohol. Our christmas lunch was followed by a pub crawl, and a gift to everyone of an xmas card and a $100 Dan Murphy's gift card. (It's an Aussie bottle shop chain)

Nothing like "you must go drinking with us to fit in", just sociable "we're going drinking, wanna come?"

A bottle shop is a liquor store i take it?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

RFC2324 posted:

A bottle shop is a liquor store i take it?

Do you mean a package store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
ABC Store