Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Regarding PKD, I really love his short stories. Find any book of short stories and it will probably be good.

Also the man is a goddamn movie machine. Of his short stories, off the top of my head: Second variety (likely inspired Terminator imo), minority report, adjustment team, paycheck, impostor. And as mentioned there's blade runner and total recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Scanner Darkly, Man in the High Castle (tv)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Generally PKD is high on imagination and weird insights on human nature, but low on narrative-building and actual good writing. Chekov's gun tends to go unfired in his hands not least :)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I really liked A Visit from the Goon Squad and was wondering if there were more books like that, where it's more a collection of short stories with quirky characters who eat silver or whatever for fun and experiments with format.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Probably Magic posted:

I really liked A Visit from the Goon Squad and was wondering if there were more books like that, where it's more a collection of short stories with quirky characters who eat silver or whatever for fun and experiments with format.

Kelly Link's stuff, maybe? I personally didn't care for it but lots of people love it and it seems to match your request. It's more fantastical/magical realism than Egan though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, I'm currently interested in reading a book or two (either fantasy novels, or more historical stuff) that follow a mercenary company/band, or perhaps a holy order. I've looked into it a little bit and have found The White Company (by Doyle) online, although I'm not certain how I'll go with his writing style, as I actually haven't read his books before (heresy!), so I'm not sure how it holds up these days.
Since what I'm ideally looking for is something reasonably detailed (particularly the combat, when it happens) and gritty/realistic (where not everyone has plot armour and makes it out no matter what), especially as I've recently been reading the most recent Witcher novel, and have been watching a little Game of Thrones lately, too. As I mentioned though, it doesn't have to be fantasy - I'd also be interested in books set in our own medieval/renaissance period. (Bonus points if it's a real company/order that it follows - I'm certain I've heard about one book following a really old merc band long ago, that I think fought around the eastern Mediterranean and Asia Minor, perhaps?)

But yeah, I know I'm not being all that helpful with the information I've provided on what I'm looking for - I'd give some more details, although I'm quite tired at this stage, and need to get some sleep.
Thanks for any and all suggestions, in any case! (And hopefully this isn't too niche a subject, and that there are actually some good books like this out there :D )

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't know about history, but for fantasy check out the Black Company books by Glen Cook.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hey folks,

Any chance people could recommend me a good mystery/horror/fantasy book? Anything creepy with conspiracies/plots is what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Something along the lines of Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco or The House of Rumour by Jack Arnott (which I'm currently working through and really enjoying). I'm not completely set on it being set in the real world though, so a well written fantasy conspiracy story's fair game.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Major Isoor posted:

I'm certain I've heard about one book following a really old merc band long ago, that I think fought around the eastern Mediterranean and Asia Minor, perhaps?

You're thinking of Xenophon's Anabasis.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, I'm currently interested in reading a book or two (either fantasy novels, or more historical stuff) that follow a mercenary company/band, or perhaps a holy order. I've looked into it a little bit and have found The White Company (by Doyle) online, although I'm not certain how I'll go with his writing style, as I actually haven't read his books before (heresy!), so I'm not sure how it holds up these days.
Since what I'm ideally looking for is something reasonably detailed (particularly the combat, when it happens) and gritty/realistic (where not everyone has plot armour and makes it out no matter what), especially as I've recently been reading the most recent Witcher novel, and have been watching a little Game of Thrones lately, too. As I mentioned though, it doesn't have to be fantasy - I'd also be interested in books set in our own medieval/renaissance period. (Bonus points if it's a real company/order that it follows - I'm certain I've heard about one book following a really old merc band long ago, that I think fought around the eastern Mediterranean and Asia Minor, perhaps?)

But yeah, I know I'm not being all that helpful with the information I've provided on what I'm looking for - I'd give some more details, although I'm quite tired at this stage, and need to get some sleep.
Thanks for any and all suggestions, in any case! (And hopefully this isn't too niche a subject, and that there are actually some good books like this out there :D )

I will say The White Company is a pretty good read, if a bit old-fashioned as you note.

You might also want to check out Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion books. The first one is Sheepfarmer's Daughter.

The Malazan Books of the Fallen feature a number of mercenary groups but they're not the main focus of the story.

CottonWolf posted:

Hey folks,

Any chance people could recommend me a good mystery/horror/fantasy book? Anything creepy with conspiracies/plots is what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Something along the lines of Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco or The House of Rumour by Jack Arnott (which I'm currently working through and really enjoying). I'm not completely set on it being set in the real world though, so a well written fantasy conspiracy story's fair game.

It's a bit out there and science-fictiony, but maybe Jeff Vander Meer's Southern Reach/Area X trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance)?

You also might look into Arturo Perez-Reverte, who's written a number of books that might fit the bill, including The Club Dumas and The Flanders Panel. He's very much in the vein of Dan Brown, except he's actually a good writer.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Selachian posted:

The Malazan Books of the Fallen feature a number of mercenary groups but they're not the main focus of the story.

It's a really good series, but, as Selachian says, the mercenary stuff is somewhat tangential, sometimes for entire books. It's also pretty divisive, going heavy on the horrors of (magical) war, and I've got a few friends who found the characters reactions to it far too angsty. It didn't worry me though.

Selachian posted:

It's a bit out there and science-fictiony, but maybe Jeff Vander Meer's Southern Reach/Area X trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance)?

Huh. These look interesting. It wasn't what I was looking for going in, particularly, but I think I'll give the first one a go. Cheers.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Don't know about history, but for fantasy check out the Black Company books by Glen Cook.

Ah, ok - just took a look at them, then. Is there a particular book I should be starting with (as I can see that there are a few different series'), or just go with the self-titled one? (As that seems to be the earliest entry)

Ras Het posted:

You're thinking of Xenophon's Anabasis.

Oh, it is too! Thank you - the fact that I couldn't remember its title has been annoying me for a while now. I might have to finally get it, as it always seemed interesting.

Selachian posted:

I will say The White Company is a pretty good read, if a bit old-fashioned as you note.

You might also want to check out Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion books. The first one is Sheepfarmer's Daughter.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've taken a quick look at them (and I recognize the Malazan series name - haven't read it though...yet), and I think I'll have to take a better look later on, when I get home.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anabasis was a book of the month recently so there's a good thread on it already.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Miles Cameron's Red Knight series, starting with The Red Knight.

Is a very knightly type of mercenary band. Plate mail and poleaxes and all the "hold the longsword by the blade and beat them with the hilt" kind of stuff

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, ok - just took a look at them, then. Is there a particular book I should be starting with (as I can see that there are a few different series'), or just go with the self-titled one? (As that seems to be the earliest entry)

Oh, it is too! Thank you - the fact that I couldn't remember its title has been annoying me for a while now. I might have to finally get it, as it always seemed interesting.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've taken a quick look at them (and I recognize the Malazan series name - haven't read it though...yet), and I think I'll have to take a better look later on, when I get home.

The very first one is The Black Company. :iia: and the narrator is more awesome.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Someone a hundred pages back or so recommended Wolf in White Van and I just wanted to thank whoever that was. Just finished and I can already tell it's going to be one of those books that rattles around in the brain for a good while. I guess everyone will have their own interpretation of the whats and whys; I've read several reviews with their own theories but haven't come across any that I like more than my own. Anyway, good book. Recommended. Would make for a great book club read and discussion.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I would love recommendations for Detective Stories with elements of magical realism or weirdness - think Twin Peaks or when Stephen King or that hack Dean Koontz writes a more detective-heavy story (so "Black House" or "Dragon Tears"). China Mieville's "The City and the City" is a perfect answer to this question.

NOT that Dresden Files-type poo poo, please.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
brian connelly's charlie parker series

anything by yrsa sigurðarsdottir

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

brian connelly's charlie parker series

You must be thinking of Michael Connelly?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
no it's john connolly i hosed up completely

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I would love recommendations for Detective Stories with elements of magical realism or weirdness - think Twin Peaks or when Stephen King or that hack Dean Koontz writes a more detective-heavy story (so "Black House" or "Dragon Tears"). China Mieville's "The City and the City" is a perfect answer to this question.

I enjoyed Wide Open by Deborah Coates, it's got ghosts and some other weird touches, it's part of a three part series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

no it's john connolly i hosed up completely

Only in the name, because the recommendation is spot on.

My usual caveat, though, is to be prepared for some pitch dark subject matter; the Charlie Parker books are not happy stories.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Good fiction stories that involve entrepreneurs? I liked the current era portions of Cryptonomicon and microserfs. Not necessarily silicon valley or IT entrepreneurs but that will work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I actually made a small collection of books with weird detectives. Take your pick:

The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay -- Detective with severe narcolepsy (hallucinations & false memories included) searches for a missing person.
My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk -- Murder Mystery in 17th century Turkey amongst a group of miniaturists with several narrators (including inanimate objects)
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon -- A missing person's case through the eyes of a stoned detective in 1970 LA
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters -- A suicide might actually be a murder, but no one cares because an asteroid is headed to Earth
The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry -- description here
Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K Wolf -- more hosed up than it's Disney counterpart
The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno -- description here
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin -- this is like Discworld's little brother that wants to be a detective story

All of these have weirdness and/or magical realism.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Grifter posted:

Good fiction stories that involve entrepreneurs? I liked the current era portions of Cryptonomicon and microserfs. Not necessarily silicon valley or IT entrepreneurs but that will work.

The Windup Girl?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Have never read Vonnegut (that I can remember) but took a bunch of books off of a friend's hands when she moved and the pile included Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse Five. I plan on reading both eventually but which one would be a better starting point for Vonnegut?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Have never read Vonnegut (that I can remember) but took a bunch of books off of a friend's hands when she moved and the pile included Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse Five. I plan on reading both eventually but which one would be a better starting point for Vonnegut?

Slaughterhouse Five but my only reasoning is that it's where I started with Vonnegut

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Slaughterhouse 5

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

C-Euro posted:

Of those two, Slaughterhouse Five. Then probably Cat's Cradle. Then Bluebeard (my probably controversial choice for best later period Vonnegut) and The Sirens of Titan (very early work that is underrated). Mother Night is good too. I think the rest are lower tier.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Grifter posted:

Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full is pretty good.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anabasis was a book of the month recently so there's a good thread on it already.

Alright well, I've found the thread, but now I have another question - what's the best/recommended translation? It's touched on in the BOTM thread that the Loeb one is good as it also has the Greek version, however as someone who's not particularly concerned about that aspect (filthy Australian monolingual here), is it still the recommended version, or are others just as good/better? Especially since the Loeb version is over twice the amount of the Penguin Classics/George Cawkwell version, and $10 more than the Oxford/Michael Flower version. (Just thought I'd check, since if they're all of the same/very similar quality and none of them are cut-down/abridged, I might as well just go for the PC one, as I only want the English version)

Thanks again!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Definitely Slaughterhouse Five

What a fantastic book

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I actually made a small collection of books with weird detectives. Take your pick:

The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay -- Detective with severe narcolepsy (hallucinations & false memories included) searches for a missing person.
My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk -- Murder Mystery in 17th century Turkey amongst a group of miniaturists with several narrators (including inanimate objects)
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon -- A missing person's case through the eyes of a stoned detective in 1970 LA
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters -- A suicide might actually be a murder, but no one cares because an asteroid is headed to Earth
The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry -- description here
Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K Wolf -- more hosed up than it's Disney counterpart
The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno -- description here
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin -- this is like Discworld's little brother that wants to be a detective story

All of these have weirdness and/or magical realism.
I'm gonna add Club Dumas and The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte.
e: Bradbury's mystery stories might fit the bill - Death is a Lonely Business, A Graveyard for Lunatics and Let's All Kill Constance.
e2: Should probably point out that I think all of these are really good.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 17, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Well drat Slaughterhouse 5 it is, thanks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
See, I'd go against the grain and say Breakfast of Champions before Slaughterhouse 5.

Breakfast of Champions is just loose and wild. It doesn't really stick to plot, it gets meta as hell, it explores the affect of fiction, while trying to pick apart why America is a hosed up place. It's fun and silly and full of succinct clever statements.

Then you get into Slaughterhouse 5, where he uses all of the same techniques (except for the drawings), but to tell an incredibly painful and personal story, which is a bit more exhausting.

It's easier to read BoC and then Slaughterhouse-5, but I don't see someone reading Slaughterhouse-5 and then wanting to pick up BoC, or any other book, for that matter. It makes you sit and think about what you just read for a while.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm gonna add Club Dumas and The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte.
e: Bradbury's mystery stories might fit the bill - Death is a Lonely Business, A Graveyard for Lunatics and Let's All Kill Constance.
e2: Should probably point out that I think all of these are really good.

I'm going to look into these

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Grifter posted:

Atlas Shrugged

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Thank you all for the awesome suggestions.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Of those two, Slaughterhouse Five. Then probably Cat's Cradle. Then Bluebeard (my probably controversial choice for best later period Vonnegut) and The Sirens of Titan (very early work that is underrated). Mother Night is good too. I think the rest are lower tier.

Here to rep for "Deadeye Dick" and "Hocus Pocus" as underrated later-era Vonnegut options.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Here to rep for "Deadeye Dick" and "Hocus Pocus" as underrated later-era Vonnegut options.

Galapagos above all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami might fit?