Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Oh god I haven't worn a gi for a couple of years and it turns out I can't escape side control or mount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

If you have flo the Cory Clark - Kaid Brock match from the Iowa-OkState duel was awesome

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Oh god I haven't worn a gi for a couple of years and it turns out I can't escape side control or mount

I hate gis. The fact it slows things down isn't necessarily bad, but I find the abrasions on the hands not worth the price. Yeah I'm a bitch what of it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I just got officially cleared by two neurologists from separate practices to go back to BJJ! Squee!

Any Nashville goons in here? There is a Gracie Barra academy less than half a mile from my apartment and I forget if that's the lovely "blue belt through the mail" hogshit.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Captain Log posted:

I just got officially cleared by two neurologists from separate practices to go back to BJJ! Squee!

Any Nashville goons in here? There is a Gracie Barra academy less than half a mile from my apartment and I forget if that's the lovely "blue belt through the mail" hogshit.

Depends on the instructors. I don't think as a rule GB is belts by mail type nonsense.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

That's Gracie Academy. Gracie Barra has a lot of strong sales techniques but the instruction is solid across the board.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Congrats. Gracie Barra is legit. There's also a Rickson Gracie school in Nashville.

JaySB fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 19, 2017

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

My little brother has just started doing BJJ. I asked him how his first class went, his reply was "I thought I was going to vomit, it was great, I'll be going back. I'm really sore today though". We have such sights to show you little brother :black101:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ive been out for a month now w/ rib-based issues & i truly miss huggin dudes

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I've been out for 9-10 months with some sort of nebulous 'tennis elbow'-like thing in my hip. It barely affects my day to day life at all, but I'm starting to think it's just never going to go away since it always flares back up again when I'm walking somewhere, even if it's been gone for like a week or two. It would've been so easy to avoid the injury by not being an idiot, too. :(

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

yea I thought it'd be really cool to get stacked & stay stacked by a dude with literally 100 lbs on me. i could have done literally anything else and been okay :) :) :)

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm pretty sure I partially tore my MCL a few months ago but I can't stop, I've got a blue belt to earn.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I hate gis. The fact it slows things down isn't necessarily bad, but I find the abrasions on the hands not worth the price. Yeah I'm a bitch what of it

I hate it too, but I'm at a point where I feel like I need it to keep improving. I hate how ruined my forearms feel from all the gripfighting.

Captain Log posted:

Oh man, congrats! You were pretty sure you'd never be able to roll again, right? I remember you were struggling to make peace with that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm pretty sure I partially tore my MCL a few months ago but I can't stop, I've got a blue belt to earn.

I've been training through a slight (probably worse now) meniscus tear. I can't hip escape or bridge using my left leg or it will lock/pop. Welcome to the fun zone.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I tore the meniscus in my right knee over four years ago doing bjj and they had to remove 30% (which is apparently not a lot). I still have to favor it to this day when drilling and rolling and I know there is some psychological factor there where I know I cannot 100% rely on it.

There is nothing smart, romantic or badass about training on something that you know is probably torn but that's just my two cents.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Especially something like a meniscus that will bother you for the rest of your life.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Skjorte posted:

I've been out for 9-10 months with some sort of nebulous 'tennis elbow'-like thing in my hip. It barely affects my day to day life at all, but I'm starting to think it's just never going to go away since it always flares back up again when I'm walking somewhere, even if it's been gone for like a week or two. It would've been so easy to avoid the injury by not being an idiot, too. :(

Can you afford physical therapy? I've had stuff nagging for a long time that's gone away after just a few weeks of PT exercises.

Since we're talking about injuries I just returned to BJJ after 3 months rehabbing what might be a torn ACL (conveniently the one already operated on 8 years ago). MRI reported full detachment and sprained calf/hamstring, but my surgeon did tests indicating it's at least partially working. Hoping it's good enough as I'd hate to go through another ACL rehab.

Back to the beginners' classes, but so far so good. I was a middle aged mediocre (at best) blue belt before I got hurt, so hopefully it's good enough. Not really planning to compete, just want to roll and go to classes.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I don't think it's smart or romantic to be training with an injury but I don't particularly feel like getting surgery right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grappling is fun, guys :shobon:

Please take care of your injuries so that we can all keep being grapplers.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Can you afford physical therapy? I've had stuff nagging for a long time that's gone away after just a few weeks of PT exercises.

I have no idea how much physical therapy costs (most things except for dentistry are free here), but I felt kinda dissuaded from even trying it out because my doctor was insistent that time and luck were my best bets. Then again, he once thought he could fix my scoliosis via massage and acupuncture, and recommended that I drink boiled ginger for a few months because my tongue looked depressed, so maybe trying a physical therapist once or twice instead of listening to dr. Wily would be a smarter course of action. I'll give it a go soon; thanks for the push!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Skjorte posted:

Then again, he once thought he could fix my scoliosis via massage and acupuncture, and recommended that I drink boiled ginger for a few months because my tongue looked depressed

Get a new doctor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fatherdog posted:

Get a real doctor.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I sprained something in my lower back like a month ago. I would rest for a few days and when it felt better I would go train and the next day I would be right back to hosed. So I'd rest a few days...

Well whatever was sprained gave up the ghost this morning so I'm laid up with an ice pack and muscle relaxants looking at 4 to 6 weeks of PT. If I'd really rested for a couple weeks when it first happened I'd probably be back on the mat regularly by now.

So yeah don't train through things until they are completely because then you're looking at missing big chunks of time or injuries that'll bug you for life.

^5 injury buddies

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Oh man, congrats! You were pretty sure you'd never be able to roll again, right? I remember you were struggling to make peace with that.

I appreciate it, man. I originally trained (took classes) in MMA around 2008 and convenience in gym location made me try BJJ a few years back. I only got to go for a few months but training under a current gold medal winning black belt was awesome. Some nuero people wouldn't be comfortable with me rolling but two green lights from doctors is good for me. Especially when one was a college buddy.

I was outright told I can't take blows to the head which is disappointing. Muay Thai was the only thing I actually showed some ability in due to my fencing background.

Edit: I you live anywhere in Kansas City make a point to visit this gym. You feel like a brother the second you walk in. I'm in Nashville now and hope to find a similar place.

http://www.brazilacademyusa.com/

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ch3cooh posted:

I sprained something in my lower back like a month ago. I would rest for a few days and when it felt better I would go train and the next day I would be right back to hosed. So I'd rest a few days...

Well whatever was sprained gave up the ghost this morning so I'm laid up with an ice pack and muscle relaxants looking at 4 to 6 weeks of PT. If I'd really rested for a couple weeks when it first happened I'd probably be back on the mat regularly by now.

So yeah don't train through things until they are completely because then you're looking at missing big chunks of time or injuries that'll bug you for life.

^5 injury buddies

Yeah the one thing that's been encouraging for me is my knee injury has been getting better over time, albeit slowly, and I don't do anything too risky during rolls. I also have been keeping a brace on it since the day the injury happened (we were drilling takedowns and my knee buckled). It's a combination of not having the greatest health insurance and potentially having to take extended time off that worries me more than the injury as it exists right now to be honest. I've been training 3x a week pretty consistently now for 8 months and jiu jitsu is just starting to become fun. I can't imagine taking tons of time off. I understand the risk is having to miss more time in the future if it becomes serious as opposed to a shorter rest period now, but so far everything has been okay so I'm just gonna keep riding it.

I hope you're back on the mats soon.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

ch3cooh posted:

^5 injury buddies

I have something sort of similar and wondering whether I should slow down a bit. I'm pretty sure I pulled something in my back trying to get out of this huge guy's closed guard 2 weeks ago. The pain went away completely in two days and was only present when bending my back. The other day I felt it happen again drilling some double legs. Again two days on I feel fine though. I know nothing when it comes to back stuff but based on the type of pain, the area, the circumstance and the healing time I don't think it's serious but I'd like to be cautious. I think I'm going to go to class the rest of this week without rolling and if anything acts up even slightly during drills I'll just pull out instead of powering through.

Web diagnosis is a crapshoot and pulled back muscle is showing 3-4 weeks recovery time which seems like a lot.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate it, man. I originally trained (took classes) in MMA around 2008 and convenience in gym location made me try BJJ a few years back. I only got to go for a few months but training under a current gold medal winning black belt was awesome. Some nuero people wouldn't be comfortable with me rolling but two green lights from doctors is good for me. Especially when one was a college buddy.

I was outright told I can't take blows to the head which is disappointing. Muay Thai was the only thing I actually showed some ability in due to my fencing background.

Edit: I you live anywhere in Kansas City make a point to visit this gym. You feel like a brother the second you walk in. I'm in Nashville now and hope to find a similar place.

http://www.brazilacademyusa.com/

Nice to see you back dude

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

willie_dee posted:

Nice to see you back dude

Thanks mate.

Could anyone vet this Gracie Barra school for me? I visited and it seemed very nice. It's within walking distance of where I live -

http://gbgreenhills.com/

The main instructor is Felix Garcia with some dude named Bernard Au as the assistant.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think regardless of what gym you end up at you should detail your health issues to them - beyond that I think with your experience you'll be able to realize whether the place is for you or not pretty quickly

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I think regardless of what gym you end up at you should detail your health issues to them - beyond that I think with your experience you'll be able to realize whether the place is for you or not pretty quickly

I already have done so. But I'm super conscious of being seen as "the sick guy."

Nashville is a big city with options and it seems everyone in BJJ knows each other. If someone here had a, "that oval office" reflex about someone I'd want to know.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Captain Log posted:

Thanks mate.

Could anyone vet this Gracie Barra school for me? I visited and it seemed very nice. It's within walking distance of where I live -

http://gbgreenhills.com/

The main instructor is Felix Garcia with some dude named Bernard Au as the assistant.

It looks like they're both purple belts? If the price is right there's not necessarily anything wrong with that but I think around major cities and suburbs you shouldn't have any issues finding a black belt coach.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

WayneCampbell posted:

It looks like they're both purple belts? If the price is right there's not necessarily anything wrong with that but I think around major cities and suburbs you shouldn't have any issues finding a black belt coach.

I thought hay was odd but the three months I spent with Ninja Pinto (blackbelt and constant tourney winner) he was a little over my head. I think I'll take them up on watching/joining a class and try that out. It was the least sales oriented vibe I've ever got from any sort of gym.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

I thought hay was odd but the three months I spent with Ninja Pinto (blackbelt and constant tourney winner) he was a little over my head. I think I'll take them up on watching/joining a class and try that out. It was the least sales oriented vibe I've ever got from any sort of gym.

Try and make sure there's a curriculum of some kind and figure out if your teachers actually give a poo poo quick.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've probably competed 9 or 10 times now, and I just medalled for the first time :3. 3rd in a division of 5, hit some sweet kneebars in the new grappling industries rules. Feels reeeeal good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've probably competed 9 or 10 times now, and I just medalled for the first time :3. 3rd in a division of 5, hit some sweet kneebars in the new grappling industries rules. Feels reeeeal good.

Grats man that's real cool

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Try and make sure there's a curriculum of some kind and figure out if your teachers actually give a poo poo quick.

Any Gracie Barra school is going to have a curriculum.

As I said before there's also a school in Nashville run by a Rickson Gracie black belt. So that's worth checking out too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Rad

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Nice!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Congratulations! A division of 5 must have meant quite a few matches, how did your cardio hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

nice buddy, awesome to hear! Anything you did differently that you felt helped you this time around?