Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where would I even find discussion about an un-subbed episode in english.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MiddleOne posted:

Where would I even find discussion about an un-subbed episode in english.

The show's Wikipedia page has all the results, and there are various sites that have recapped the final ep in English.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I dont understand how Haesung is so terrible at everything yet doesn't get eliminated

None of the Madong politics make any sense

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think losing Sangook just broke them all mentally.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think losing Sangook just broke them all mentally.

Except for Asol, who I in no way believe was ever going to not end up in that swap.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Ep 10 is up.

There is something wrong with the subs link, add a '4' at the end of the URL if it says the file needs to be decoded.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CeeJee posted:

Ep 10 is up.

There is something wrong with the subs link, add a '4' at the end of the URL if it says the file needs to be decoded.

The streaming link is dead again tho. Why you hitting bumdi with copyright claims now, Korean people?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm loving the beginning of this episode.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fun episode, though the mind-bogglingly stupid decision to continually keep Haesung is driving me nuts. I dislike that it seemed like the korean dictionary they were using seemed super crappy, with many words that should have been included just arbitrarily not being included, seems like that decided the outcome more than player ability or strategy did.

Bumdi says they aren't sure when 11 and 12 will be done because of "health problems", which is super ominous. Sounds like a longer term thing to make such a statement. Bumdi! Fighting! :pray:

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 6, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I downloaded the RAW and the subs because if bumdi is sick I'm not gonna wait for the reupload, hehe.

It's weird how Madong stabilized after getting run over for weeks, I still think it was a huge mistake to get rid of Jiwon when you're basically out of mental players. However, Macho took this weird figurehead position under MJ's rule, so that's how it goes, no one can afford to get rid of him. Dude's probably going out next week if Nopdong has half a brain, unless Societal Norms rear their ugly head and they kill MJ instead. By the way, if MJ misses out on the Top 3, it's her own fault. She just got slotted into a mental player position against Kyungryul and Haesung, which is pretty bad even if she can hold her own in some mental challenges.

Word Game seemed to be VERY hard for everyone. Half the words they thought about weren't on the dictionary, which is weird for a Western person like me. Making words with random syllables wouldn't be much of a challenge in the languages I'm acquainted with (Portuguese, Spanish and English), but apparently it's a huge mess in Korean. By the way, Auntie Insun became the proverbial post turtle, no one knows how she made it there and it's a matter of time until she falls, but so far she's keeping it together - she did pretty well at this challenge, for instance.

Right now my tentative top 3 for both sides is MJ, Pharoh and Asol versus Haesung (somehow his disastrous politics are better than Kyungryul's), Injik and Donghwan. I don't think Nopdong will be willing to kill MJ over Macho, and on Madong's side Insun is getting cut ASAP. Haesung versus Kyungryul should favor Kyungryul, but there have been way too many "we don't REALLY need mental players" talk on their side that they might choose Haesung out of personal preference.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
When the message from the Korean Broadcast Standards Commission appeared with the blunt translation I thought some crazy poo poo would go down this episode, possibly Macho being beat to a bloody pulp by both MJ and Asol.

But it was just that blending and drinking bugs from ep 1 was too disgusting for the delicate Korean audience.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, extra commentary what the gently caress our friend there speaks Spanish? That came out of nowhere. All the phone calls were hilarious, don't these Korean guys think to tell people 'I'm doing a reality show' or some poo poo? Kyungryul's wife of three years going instantly into babby voice when she figured he was calling was amazing too

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The editors are always good but they really kicked it up a notch this episode.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Wtf who keeps reporting the episodes

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That must have been exceptionally hard to translate, what a strange concept for a game. Would it even work in English? We're speaking such a disgusting Frankenstein's Monster of a language that I'm leaning towards no.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Genius/Society Game - gently caress the Korean Communications Standards Commission

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That must have been exceptionally hard to translate, what a strange concept for a game. Would it even work in English? We're speaking such a disgusting Frankenstein's Monster of a language that I'm leaning towards no.
I was very impressed with bumdi's translation, I could get a sense of when a word wouldn't be allowed before the judges said it based on how awkward it looked in english (eg. 'problemer' 'accident person', anything with 'office' at the end.)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Maduo posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Genius/Society Game - gently caress the Korean Communications Standards Commission

I was very impressed with bumdi's translation, I could get a sense of when a word wouldn't be allowed before the judges said it based on how awkward it looked in english (eg. 'problemer' 'accident person', anything with 'office' at the end.)

I kinda went "oh, this seems like a weird composite, it's probably not a word". It's still confusing, but I'm not sure how you could've translated that poo poo better, that seems like a massive challenge.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

In my head I was equating it to something like, "Here's 12 consonants, in your envelope is a vowel, you need to make 4 5-letter words, go!"

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

qbert posted:

In my head I was equating it to something like, "Here's 12 consonants, in your envelope is a vowel, you need to make 4 5-letter words, go!"

Yeah word games like that work just fine in english

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

ffs I havent waatched the ep yet

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Korean music sure has a lot of sad lyrics!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I want insun to reach the final somehow. Though i don't think it will happen.

That wifes aegyo tho

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Arcanen posted:

Fun episode, though the mind-bogglingly stupid decision to continually keep Haesung is driving me nuts.

WHY. This is driving me nuts.

Top notch editing on this episode though. The Madong wars edit was great.

Hope Bumbdi is feeling better soon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Society Game is great! Thanks for posting about it. On episode 2 now!

Edit: Sangguk giving Kyungryul poo poo will never stop being funny. Sangguk is charismatic as gently caress and picked the right side!

EDIT: EPISODE 5 HOLY gently caress. INCREDIBLE. That last 20 minutes was like the most compelling and exciting reality TV I think I've ever loving watched.

Edit: MJ is the best

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 14, 2017

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Inevitably, someone's going to post something in this thread making people believe that there's a new society game episode up. May as well be a post acknowledging that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
rip bumdi

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Inevitably, someone's going to post something in this thread making people believe that there's a new society game episode up. May as well be a post acknowledging that.

:argh:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Are there any non-Bumdi subbed versions out there for episodes 11 and 12?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/823450645193637888

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Getting me hooked on this show and then not providing subs for weeks is straight up torture. Then again we would never have access to these shows if it weren't for Bum's diligent volunteer subbing work which must be quite time consuming. The show creators should be paying her big bucks for bringing these shows to North American audiences!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Ornithology posted:

Getting me hooked on this show and then not providing subs for weeks is straight up torture. Then again we would never have access to these shows if it weren't for Bum's diligent volunteer subbing work which must be quite time consuming. The show creators should be paying her big bucks for bringing these shows to North American audiences!

You'd think, but they're cease-and-desisting her uploads. I appreciate the raw video/soft sub links, but trying to download a video file from a Korean site is a minefield of misclicks and pop-ups.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/826727230864633856

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/828295928595435520

Woo!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I hope I remember who any of these people are.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
It was taken down! :f5:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cross your fingers people!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's here!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

In which Madong continue their insane plot to keep Haesung despite him being terrible at challenges, terrible for morale, and having previously shown a willingness to stab the person who's trying to keep him in the back.

I really like that MJ is simultaneously able to have real emotional reactions, but is able to separate it from what she needs to do for her game. It's much more impressive that she's a genuine person who can compartmentalize instead of being a gamebot who doesn't actually care about anyone.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Arcanen posted:

In which Madong continue their insane plot to keep Haesung despite him being terrible at challenges, terrible for morale, and having previously shown a willingness to stab the person who's trying to keep him in the back.

Seriously, this weird non-dilemma about who's better to have on the team is driving me crazy. I was really hoping Kyungryul would hold on just long enough to get to the announcement and blacklist Haesung.

With Nopdong, I kind of get how they kept Macho til the last possible moment- it seems like he's a fun guy to have around and made everyone feel better. Haesung is a slimy robot who keeps losing mental games to the MMA fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm going to be so pissed if Haesung actually sticks around, he has nothing going for him.