Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I want to add daycare here doesn't involve anything school-ish, if it where that I would not send my kids. What they do at daycare is play and have organized activities like field trips and such.

Any fucker dares send home homework before age 7 and I would blow my top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I want to add daycare here doesn't involve anything school-ish, if it where that I would not send my kids. What they do at daycare is play and have organized activities like field trips and such.

Any fucker dares send home homework before age 7 and I would blow my top.

What daycare would ever send home homework? I don't I've even heard of such a thing! Ours is combined lots of playtime with "teaching" them things like colors and numbers and organizational skills like putting up your toys and walking in quiet lines, etc.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah mine 'teaches' things like shapes and colors and the like through play and stuff. Much like I'd expect I'd do it, only with the added benefits of learning how to take turns, interact with other kids, etc.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I feel the opposite of many of you. I even get frustrated when the grandparents come into town and keep my kiddo out of daycare for the whole week. You can tell he gets bored with them. Daycare is a whole room for him of toys and other kids and activities and whatnot. He loves it.

They try, but they're not up to the standards of the professionals. Then they get all surprised when he gets fussy.

I figure I'll take my kid out of real school when it gets to be a chore and cliques and drama and all that poo poo. That's when they'll appreciate spending a day with you.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our daycare will send homework home. Its stuff like for Christmas he brought home a paper stocking and we decorated it with him.

Even if me working just paid for daycare I would still have him in daycare. We don't have any family locally so the only breaks we get are when he's in daycare. I think its great for him to deal with other people that aren't us. My husband and I are pretty introverted and he's extroverted and he enjoys the interaction with other kids his age and other adults.

I also enjoy what I do and enjoy my adult time at work. For my mental health I need it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

Our daycare will send homework home. Its stuff like for Christmas he brought home a paper stocking and we decorated it with him.

Even if me working just paid for daycare I would still have him in daycare. We don't have any family locally so the only breaks we get are when he's in daycare. I think its great for him to deal with other people that aren't us. My husband and I are pretty introverted and he's extroverted and he enjoys the interaction with other kids his age and other adults.

I also enjoy what I do and enjoy my adult time at work. For my mental health I need it.

We're in the same boat. No family around to help out. Work is a loving mini vacation

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

We're in the same boat. No family around to help out. Work is a loving mini vacation

Both my husband and I teach college and we both get the summers off. Our kid still goes to daycare over the summer (part time) because we actually get to spend quiet time together to do whatever we want. I think it really helps us stay connected as a couple.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

Both my husband and I teach college and we both get the summers off. Our kid still goes to daycare over the summer (part time) because we actually get to spend quiet time together to do whatever we want. I think it really helps us stay connected as a couple.

I can totally imagine. Our relationship is a constant struggle because we remain exhausted and frustrated on a daily basis :(.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Alterian posted:

Because of the way the holidays fell, our eldest hasn't been in daycare. Monday passed was the day when the 4 & 2 year old were both in daycare, leaving us to deal with just the 3 week old. It was bliss.

We could actually maintain a conversation without a little interruptor.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

VorpalBunny posted:

I opted to keep my kids out of preschool/daycare as long as possible for multiple reasons. No judgment here, I'm just sharing my story.

My gut instinct was that my babies are only babies once. As we started having kids I made sure I was taking them out all the damned time on playdates and to parks and to expose them to all the germs and basically soak up as much of their childhood as we could. I figured they would be spending 14 years in school (tk-12 here in the US) so why rush into it? If you have the means, I would recommend soaking in these days. If you don't need to work and you have the ability to spend this time with your child, enjoy it. If you need a break, consider part-time care. But you only get this time once. Try to consider why you hesitated, it sounds like you can provide her with some awesome adventures. And preschool will be there when you are ready to go back to work. Its not going anywhere.

Thank you to everyone who replied, I find it very comforting that there are so many people who did one or the other and liked it and their kids are fine, etc.

I definitely feel most like you, VorpalBunny -- they're only little once. On top of that I don't intend to have another kid so this is it. She's been exploding with new things and learning lately, and that really redoubled my reticence to send her away.

What I've ended up doing is putting her on a waiting list for a great daycare close to us, and she'll go only two days a week when she gets in. I hope this will give me some time to enjoy her a little longer, but also give her a good socializing experience when she goes. Best of both worlds as someone said.

(Edit to add: It will only cost most of my part time pay, I would be able to save a little per month.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BonoMan posted:

What daycare would ever send home homework? I don't I've even heard of such a thing! Ours is combined lots of playtime with "teaching" them things like colors and numbers and organizational skills like putting up your toys and walking in quiet lines, etc.

I only know that I've seen some posts mention how their kids are getting homework and doing school like work at similar ages to my kids (3-4ish) so I've been getting the impression that in some countries, schooling starts way early. Too early IMO.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They'll send letter worksheets home for him to do, but its optional. We don't do that homework. Friends of ours have a daughter in the same room as him and she LOVES doing worksheets to the point that she begs them to print out more worksheets for her to do.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I'm not gonna lie, I love my daycare, but when he gets older, he's going to a more structured one. Right now (well, right now he's home with dad all day, but dad is going stir crazy being a stay at home dad, and carrying a 6 month old around really gets in the way of trying to get errands done, so he's going back to daycare) The daycare he goes to is in home, and while she's awesome for a 6mos old, once he gets to the point where he's a toddler I'd love for him to go somewhere with an actual curriculum. Not so much homework, but at least teaching him colors and shapes and expanding his vocabulary in ways that we don't think of at home. Not to mention learning how to function in society, since me and my husband are both bad at that.

Any tips for dealing with arctic weather with an infant? Our car broke down, and isn't worth fixing, so we've been walking everywhere. Layers with the baby Bjorn zipped into a jacket keep him warm enough but his poor cheeks are so chapped. We put lotion on every night, but they're still so red. I'm hesitant about like a baby balaclava since it just seems like a good way for him to suffocate while napping on us, and he hates any scarf type thing we've tried. He already faces towards us to keep him out of the wind unless we're shopping, then we'll let him look around the store.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Grease up his cheeks before going out! We usually use vaseline but I've used chapstick in a pinch. Keeps them from drying out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else here have a Graco My Ride 65 LX? I just put ours in my wife's car and I can rock it side to side about 15-20 degrees, which seems unsettling. Is that normal for a larger seat? It seems fine front-to-back and flat left-to-night, but I'm coming from a carrier + base, which didn't rock at all.

Edit: I tried calling the company, but of course they don't have anyone there on weekends.

hooah fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 14, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hooah posted:

Does anyone else here have a Graco My Ride 65 LX? I just put ours in my wife's car and I can rock it side to side about 15-20 degrees, which seems unsettling. Is that normal for a larger seat? It seems fine front-to-back and flat left-to-night, but I'm coming from a carrier + base, which didn't rock at all.

Edit: I tried calling the company, but of course they don't have anyone there on weekends.

We have two of these. There's a little wobble maybe but you probably just haven't tightened it enough. Front or rear facing? Latch? You gotta really push down hard on the seat when giving it its final tightening.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

hooah posted:

To properly tighten pretty much any car seat you really have to get up on top of them and press down with your body weight. You'll get it. It's quite amazing how much it can really take and how tight they can go. When I went to a car seat inspector, I was sure I had it as tight as can be and they got it even tighter. Also, make sure you're distributing your weight as evenly across the seat as you press down. That will help you get a better fit. You'll do better with 2 people. One to push down on the seat and one to pull it tight.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Rear-facing with latch. It's considerably more difficult to get this thing tight than the base of our KeyFit 30 seat. I guess I'll have to enlist the wife's help. I'm also a little afraid I won't be able to unhook the thing since the latch belt release doesn't seem to work very well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hooah posted:

Rear-facing with latch. It's considerably more difficult to get this thing tight than the base of our KeyFit 30 seat. I guess I'll have to enlist the wife's help. I'm also a little afraid I won't be able to unhook the thing since the latch belt release doesn't seem to work very well.

You'll get the hang of it. It's second nature now. And good god those latch hooks can be a bitch if you have really tense cushions that make it hard to get a grip on. And then the way the belt becomes nearly impossible to undo because the Graco button is built like poo poo and the belt has slid to the side of the buckle making it impossible to get an even pull on.

It's a Part of the Experience ®

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Latch is supposed to be easier. It's not always. Try a seat belt install too just to see if you get a better fit.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Latch usually has a lower weight limit too so you'd have to remember to switch to seat belt install when your kid hits a certain weight. Our seat clearly recommended seat belt install from the get go even though it supports latch. Easier for us to set it and forget it this way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DiHK posted:

Besides I trained him to like Star Trek TNG so it all evens out.

You're raising your kid to be a racist pseudointellectual

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

You're raising your kid to be a racist pseudointellectual

Show me on the Dollie where the bad Trekkie hurt you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DiHK posted:

Show me on the Dollie where the bad Trekkie hurt you.

The one where they say that all Irish are lazy drunks was pretty hurtful

Not as hurtful as Code of Honor though

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Code of Honor isn't the only racist/sexist moment in season 1. Up the Ladder only showed some of the men to be functional alcoholics, and personally I find most national stereotypes to be based on a kernel of truth, including the ones that apply to myself.

But I figure if I can pseudo intellectually talk to my son about the problematic stuff he'll be in a better position to recognize and understand those intersectional discrimination issues.

Look, I don't think you can throw Bladerunner at a twelve y-o and expect them to grasp the issues of class, slavery, and authority at play in the movie. All old media (and some newer media) has problematic elements. If things like Song of the South and the Japanese officer in those Bugs Bunny cartoons are at the top of that ladder then Star Trek falls fairly low in terms of offensiveness.

Kids ask questions, right? So when my kid asks why Troi is always in that skirt maybe I can point out the 1-dimensional nature of her character, maybe I slip in the idea that she is not treated in the same way that other characters are in the show. When he encounters lovely behaviour in his own adventures I'd rather he already have an inkling of understanding than be encountering it for the first time. Sure you can say to a kid "treat others like you want to be treated" but without context it about as effective a "just say no".

I'd like to see some more experienced parent's views on this, especially about violence and guns. Star Trek is pretty light and non-direct for violence, IMO. My inlaws have a fair number of guns and my kid will go hunting with grandpa when he's older. At the same time my wife and I are fairly anti-gun but where I draw the line between toy guns may be different that where she draws it. We've almost started a row over it but I deflected in time.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks to everyone that tried to help with a solution to have my 15 months old son swallow his antibiotics.

For some reason the very next day he decided to eat it without complaining and then went back to his spitting everything ways. Tried all the things suggested here and none worked.

In the end the only solution we found was to have him suck on his pacifier and sneak some antibiotics by the side of his mouth while the pacifier was still in.

Thanks once again to everyone that tried to help

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks to everyone that tried to help with a solution to have my 15 months old son swallow his antibiotics.

For some reason the very next day he decided to eat it without complaining and then went back to his spitting everything ways. Tried all the things suggested here and none worked.

In the end the only solution we found was to have him suck on his pacifier and sneak some antibiotics by the side of his mouth while the pacifier was still in.

Thanks once again to everyone that tried to help

I've seen pacifier medicine dispensers, but never tried them because my older son never liked pacifiers and my younger son stopped liking them before he ever needed antibiotics. Has anyone had any luck with those? (I assume your kid's done with antibiotics already, KingColliwog.)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

zonohedron posted:

I've seen pacifier medicine dispensers, but never tried them because my older son never liked pacifiers and my younger son stopped liking them before he ever needed antibiotics. Has anyone had any luck with those? (I assume your kid's done with antibiotics already, KingColliwog.)

One day left so we're keeping the pacifier method. Made our life so much easier!

At least he loves breathing into his mask we use to give him the pump

Now let's hope that pneumonia is gone for good.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

zonohedron posted:

Never used one, but our doc recommended getting our kid to suck on the nipple of a bottle and just squirting the meds in there from the other side and it worked like a champ. I'd imagine they work similarly.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I couldn't wait for summer and the kids are growing ever worse, almost had a hospital visit last night when I was at my parents and David pushed Daniel down the stairs and my dad wasn't able to react in time. Still these kids have lots of luck or are made of rubber, after the fright wore off it was like nothing had happened.

Today I'm home alone with them and it's the usual mayhem and I have hurt my back, so here's a bilberry (euro blueberry) daiquiri, turned out good.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Scandinavian goons - I need some advice. We took advantage of the insane Scandinavian Airlines deal where kids fly free this Spring and we are headed to Stockholm from Los Angeles in late March. We hope to drive down to Legoland outside Copenhagen, and obviously we hope to get some nature and awesome stuff in there as well. Any advice for stuff to see with a 6-year old, a 4-year old and a 3-year old? I was imagining something like 2 days in the Stockholm area, driving all day down to the Copenhagen area, spending 2 days there, hitting Legoland, then driving back to Stockholm. Is this dumb? We drive a lot on our trips, the kids don't mind the travel time.

Also, are carseat regulations super restrictive and are the regulations the same across the borders? I used a place called Hire for Baby in Australia, since their carseat laws are different than the US. Is it the same in Scandinavia, or is each country different? Thanks in advance!

Yellow Jesus
Jul 18, 2003

Legoland is closed for the winter until the 1st of april, so depending on when in late march you're arriving it might be a good idea to skip that car ride. https://www.lalandia.dk/en/ is right next to legoland and my kids loved it when they were that age, but its not worth the trip down from stockholm if legoland is closed.
All carseats used and sold in europe must follow r44 or r129(i-size) standards, so if you're renting the car seats you're good to go across scandinavia. No idea how it works if you're bringing over US seats.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Oh hey, I live in Stockholm! March is a bit of a crapshoot as far as weather goes; if it's good it's nice for short hikes or walks, but if it's bad it's extremely miserable so scout out some indoor activities. There's lots of great kid-friendly museums and some of the best ones don't even charge. I'm on the bus atm but I can give some more specific tips/recommendations when I get back home tonight. Feel free to PM me with Stockholmy questions, or if there's anything I can help out with!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

VorpalBunny posted:

Scandinavian goons - I need some advice. We took advantage of the insane Scandinavian Airlines deal where kids fly free this Spring and we are headed to Stockholm from Los Angeles in late March. We hope to drive down to Legoland outside Copenhagen, and obviously we hope to get some nature and awesome stuff in there as well. Any advice for stuff to see with a 6-year old, a 4-year old and a 3-year old? I was imagining something like 2 days in the Stockholm area, driving all day down to the Copenhagen area, spending 2 days there, hitting Legoland, then driving back to Stockholm. Is this dumb? We drive a lot on our trips, the kids don't mind the travel time.

Also, are carseat regulations super restrictive and are the regulations the same across the borders? I used a place called Hire for Baby in Australia, since their carseat laws are different than the US. Is it the same in Scandinavia, or is each country different? Thanks in advance!

You'll want to spend some time in Stockholm, it is a pretty neat town. the Vasa Museum is worth an afternoon for sure, and wandering around Gamla Stan is pleasantly historical.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
The Vasa museum is great. The Nordic museum is pretty cool; the History museum has free admission and I remember having a blast there as a kid. The gold room is amazing. The Transport museum is a great place for kids as well. Tom Tits in Södertälje has (non tit-related) science experiments for kids and is super fun for grownups too.

Most outdoor activities are closed until at least April or May, but if the weather is nice try a stroll around Gamla stan or something like Haga park, which has a whole bunch of cool historical buildings open to the public (not the palace though, not sure why the website isn't clearer about that). Tyresta national park is near the city and is beautiful, though not at its best that early in spring.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

What books/resources do you all recommend for the second year? I feel like I'm a lot less prepared for the upcoming year than I was for the first, for whatever reason. Lots more unknowns and decisions, it feels like.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Haystack posted:

What books/resources do you all recommend for the second year? I feel like I'm a lot less prepared for the upcoming year than I was for the first, for whatever reason. Lots more unknowns and decisions, it feels like.

There's a really great series that has a book for every year ("Your One Year Old", "Your Two Year Old", etc.). I highly recommend them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skeetied posted:

There's a really great series that has a book for every year ("Your One Year Old", "Your Two Year Old", etc.). I highly recommend them.

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Two-Year-Old-Louise-Bates-Ames/dp/0440506387

This one?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Yup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our 15 month-old has given herself three bloody noses in the past week due to losing balance. It's so scary seeing blood running down her face, and she doesn't understand we're trying to help when we try to stop the bleeding. Since this is bound to happen several more times, any tips on calming the baby while trying to not get blood everywhere?