Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i can't figure out how to switch card slots once the app is loaded without disconnecting, so I usually always switch to the jpg slot first anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Got the teleconverter. Will post a trip report when I can.

Also when I went to the store to eat it I saw that they have a couple X-T2 bodies in stock. One normal and one silver. Allenscamera.com if anyone is still looking for one and can't buy one

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rio posted:

Also when I went to the store to eat it I saw that they have a couple X-T2 bodies in stock. One normal and one silver.
For sale? Sale of the X-T2 graphite is supposed to be embargoed until February 16.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It was in the case with all of the other Fuji stuff they had, right next to the normal X-t2. I when they got them in stock since I didn't see them there last time I went in (about a month ago) but the guy was part time and didn't know. He didn't say that it wasn't for sale though. I said that I would mention they had them in stock to some people I know (you all) and he said "great" so I assume they are good to go - I guess if anyone ends up calling them let me know how it goes.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For sale? Sale of the X-T2 graphite is supposed to be embargoed until February 16.

Embargo on the X-T2 graphite was only until 1/23. FWIW, black bodies and kits are showing as heavily backordered on my system but Graphite bodies seem to be in stock and ready to ship? So if you really want one and don't mind paying another $200 for the better(?) finish you should be able to get one quickly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Embargo on the X-T2 graphite was only until 1/23. FWIW, black bodies and kits are showing as heavily backordered on my system but Graphite bodies seem to be in stock and ready to ship? So if you really want one and don't mind paying another $200 for the better(?) finish you should be able to get one quickly.
You're not thinking of the graphite X-Pro2 which went for sale around then? I'm just going off of yesterdays Fujifilm press release.

google translate

I don't care either way. I'd never switch my black X-T2 for the other color, as much as I liked my graphite X-T1.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're not thinking of the graphite X-Pro2 which went for sale around then? I'm just going off of yesterdays Fujifilm press release.

google translate

I don't care either way. I'd never switch my black X-T2 for the other color, as much as I liked my graphite X-T1.

I dunno, maybe Fuji Japan is different. From Fuji USA:

X-T2 Body, Graphite Silver Edition and X-Pro2 Body with XF23mmF2 R WR Lens and Lens Hood Kit, Graphite Edition – Embargo on Retail Sales until January 23, 2017.

The X100f is embargoed until 2/16, but they're not showing in stock until 2/23 anyway so not really an issue. XT-20 is embargoed until the 23rd as well.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Silver xt2s are available for sale right now in aus stores but so are black ones

then again i dont think fuji are as big here.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Primo Itch posted:

[Questions about mirrorless video]

One question thought: Are there primes that will allow me a narrow depth of field closer to full frame? It's not a main worry now as I'm just starting in video, but something to think about for the future since I've always been an aperture priority shooter...

I was just thinking to myself last week that if I ever bought another digital camera, it would be something that did 4K video just as well as it did still frames. I've almost completely switched to film, but nature/action telephoto and high-res video are two things where digital is quite superior... at least at the consumer level.

You asked for something that didn't have an extreme crop factor, so that your legacy lenses would still be somewhat usable. It would be nice wouldn't it? But here's my addition to the 'reasons you should settle for m43' list:

Really, even the 25/1.8 (which you can kinda-sorta think of as a 50/3.5 in terms of angle of view and depth of field) gives a shallow enough look for most purposes. So yes, you can get 'real bokeh' on m43 with the fast primes. (Warning: incoming justification) if I'm shooting people in FF format I don't really like to go bigger than around f/2.8 most of the time anyway, as it leaves too little of the eyes, hair, etc. in focus. Even f/4 (Edit: on full frame) is good enough to get some decent background separation, at least for my taste.

I have no experiential knowledge of the cosina-voigtlander 0.95 lenses, but they seem like they get pretty soft at max aperture. Maybe your Yashica gear is better, but all the f/1.4 film SLR lenses that I've owned have been kinda mushy and low-contrast wide open, too. Just like the CVs for m43. So it's not like they're exceptionally lovely or anything. Just something to consider.

On the other hand, the Panasonic 20/1.7 I've got is pretty much just as sharp wide open as it is at 5.6. You will find that the selection of 1.8-0.95 primes for m43 to be pretty comprehensive, I think, and they all have pretty impressive performance wide open, except for the 0.95 stuff.

I don't have an Oly 45mm, which is the great value fast portrait lens for m43, but the last time I did an event I just used an adapted Nikon 50/1.4 Ai-S, and shooting that at f/2 gave me enough DoF to use manual focus quickly and confidently, while also giving nice separation; like using my old 5D2 with an EOS 100/2.8 macro at f/4.

That being said, I definitely had more use for my old Rokkors and Nikkors when I had an a6000. The 1.6 crop factor wasn't so bad; at least it didn't turn wides into teles. The Sony axxxx series isn't the best for extremal controls or menu systems, but not impossible to use or anything. I bring this up because the a6300 does have very good 4K video, and isn't as expensive as an a7 series 4K-capable body. If I was regularly adapting lenses with a Sony APS camera, I world get the a6500 though, for the IBIS. It's also ruggedly built compared to the a6000. There is a great 18-105 for E-mount that would probably be ideal for video, but otherwise the pickings for lenses under $1K are slim.

There's also the issue of video crop factor. I don't think any cameras except the top pro lines have full sensor read out when shooting 4K. So the Lumix G*8* bodies are going to have an even more significant crop factor than 2x when doing video. I'm not sure how much, but I'd look into it if I was serious about going for a 4K consumer level Lumix.

Just some stuff to consider, you know? I can still say that my next digital camera will almost certainly be a GX8. (The GX8's video quality is better than the GX85's. Not as good as aGH4, though.)

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 2, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yowtch. Switching from a 5D III to a XT2? The ergonomics are gonna take a while. I ordered the battery grip, which I get tomorrow, and boy I'm gonna need it, this thing is tiny. I like having the focus set to the front function button, and like the feel. Going to definitely take getting used to this.

Anyone with suggestions on making the shift more comfortable and efficient?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I hear in China that they bind boys' hands from a young age so they can handle the new generation of mirrorless cameras more easily as adults. Children who are especially nerdy or socially inept are marked out early in life as likely camera users and it's then that their hands are first tightly wrapped in linen strips.

Unfortunately, there's no way of shrinking adult hands down to properly fit an XT.

... But do you have a son?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I hear in China that they bind boys' hands from a young age so they can handle the new generation of mirrorless cameras more easily as adults. Children who are especially nerdy or socially inept are marked out early in life as likely camera users and it's then that their hands are first tightly wrapped in linen strips.

Unfortunately, there's no way of shrinking adult hands down to properly fit an XT.

... But do you have a son?

Yeah, and he loves photography. And he's not touching it. The grip will help, I think.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you think XT2 is too small what do you call Olympus EM5?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

torgeaux posted:

Yowtch. Switching from a 5D III to a XT2? The ergonomics are gonna take a while. I ordered the battery grip, which I get tomorrow, and boy I'm gonna need it, this thing is tiny. I like having the focus set to the front function button, and like the feel. Going to definitely take getting used to this.

When I had an XT-1 I used a lensmate thumbgrip and it made all the difference simply by giving me a place to securely put my thumb and not just hover it over a button. I have big hands and the larger physical size is one of the reasons I prefer the Xpro series.

https://lensmateonline.com/products/fujifilm-x-t2-thumbrest?variant=24023989062

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

torgeaux posted:

Enjoy the vastly superior everything.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

bobfather posted:

Indeed. I made the same switch and love shooting the xt-2. I still keep my 5d3 for some specialized macro shooting with the mp-e 65 where there's no high mag Fuji version but otherwise I sold my canon kit and don't miss it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bobfather posted:

Yeah, there's a reason i moved on from Canon. Gotta figure out the post, though. Gotta try Iridient for the raws, but cant find a link to their beta for windows on their product page.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, there's a reason i moved on from Canon. Gotta figure out the post, though. Gotta try Iridient for the raws, but cant find a link to their beta for windows on their product page.

Just use Lightroom. The critiques of it are vastly overblown, except that it's a slow program when working with (any camera system's) huge RAWs.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bobfather posted:

Just use Lightroom. The critiques of it are vastly overblown, except that it's a slow program when working with (any camera system's) huge RAWs.

With Canon, I did ACR to photoshop. Other than workflow, any difference there from lightroom?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

torgeaux posted:

With Canon, I did ACR to photoshop. Other than workflow, any difference there from lightroom?

I would use Lightroom for cataloguing, since you won’t be making heavy edits to your files after you realize you can compose and expose perfectly every time right from the viewfinder.

The days of looking at your rear LCD and telling yourself you’ll check for critical focus and fix your saturation in post are almost over, man.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

bobfather posted:

I would use Lightroom for cataloguing, since you won’t be making heavy edits to your files after you realize you can compose and expose perfectly every time right from the viewfinder.

The days of looking at your rear LCD and telling yourself you’ll check for critical focus and fix your saturation in post are almost over, man.

It's like a dream, right? Switching from my 5D2 to the X-T2 was the best decision (so far) I've made in terms of camera changes in a long time. Though I still keep bumping the nobs accidentally when trying to take shots, I'll eventually get used to it.

Very light work in LR is all that's needed, in my case mostly retouching portraits, but the rest of the photo is just great. Very little work involved, the RAF's work fine, albeit slow as one would expect for those large files.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I might be going to Panama at the end of February. My partner will be taking care of the bird front with her 70d and 400mm f5.6. I'm thinking of renting something for my GX85, as I've only got one lens at the moment, the summilux 15mm. I'd like to try out the panny 12-35 f2.8, which they have and I'm pretty interested in, but they also have the 7-14 f4 and 35-100 f2.8. The former being pretty interesting and might capture things like forests and scenery better, the latter I think might be better for things like monkeys and sloths and other cool stuff.
What do you think? The 35-100 probably compliments my 15mm best, but if I'm using this as a trial run, the 12-35 is probably the lens I'm more likely to buy (they don't have the Oly 12-40 for rent, unfortunately).

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Oly 12-100?

Love the 15mm Summilux, by the way. With it, the 12-40 and the cheap 40-150, I don't have much need for other lenses (although the 75mm is mighty tempting...)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

Oly 12-100?

Love the 15mm Summilux, by the way. With it, the 12-40 and the cheap 40-150, I don't have much need for other lenses (although the 75mm is mighty tempting...)

They only have all the Oly primes, the only Oly zoom is their 75-300.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

torgeaux posted:

It is right on their webpage on their top post. http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer_download.html It is good once you figure out what settings to use - I am using it for everything now and not converting in lightroom anymore - definitely better results. Takes a long time to convert and makes selecting photos a pain since you can't preview them in XTransformer so you have to figure out a way to preview them in another program, preview and delete in camera or convert them all and then delete in lightroom (which is the longest option given the long conversion times) The images below were converted with iridient and are all crops fyi.

I am loving the 1.4x teleconverter now that I have had some time to shoot with it. Here are some birds I shot today using the teleconverter and 100-400 on the xt2, converted with iridient and processed in lightroom

DSCF5604 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5601 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5561 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5510 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF5539 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

rio fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 4, 2017

red19fire
May 26, 2010

yeah ok, i'm switching to the xt2 asap.

What are the favorite primes of the dorkroom? I'm leaning towards the 23mm/2 and 56/1.2. Since I have an X100t it's going to be redundant, isn't it?

red19fire fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 4, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If you have the X100T I would personally (definitely) get the 56. It is an amazing lens - I do use all my lenses but the 23 1.4 and 56 1.2 get a lot more use than the others except for the 100-400 but I have really been working on birds since I got it. The 23 f2 is supposed to be great though - I have the 35 f2 and hear that the focus speed with the 23 2 is the same on it and it focuses very quickly. I was actually debating getting a 100T or the 23 1.4 when I was looking to get a 35mm equivalent but since I knew I would be getting the XT2 I knew I could put the 23 on my xt1 and the 56 on the xt2 so I opted for that instead. If I already had the X100t though I would definitely have kept that. I had an original x100 and if I even had that still I would have kept that - they are such good cameras.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

red19fire posted:

What are the favorite primes of the dorkroom? I'm leaning towards the 23mm/2 and 56/1.2. Since I have an X100t it's going to be redundant, isn't it?

The 23mm f/2 and 56mm f/1.2 are my hands down most used.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
My general fuji lens usage in descending order 23, 56, 35, 16, 90, and then the 10-24mm. You will rather use the XT2 than the X100T trust me on this.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

red19fire posted:

Having had the camerà for two days and the 90mm for one, i feel i am an expert.

Picking between the 56 and the 90 was tough. Ultimately, i went with the 90 because I wanted a telephoto prime, too. I shoot around 30 head and shoulder portrait shots a month, and used an 85 on my 5d, but always wanted the 135. I'll be forced to move my normal shooting location, but otherwise should be good.

i wish Fuji would make a long prime, or one of the third party guys would step up.

Having just bought, my first lens choices were, kit lens ober the 2.8 version, 12mm rokinon, 35 f2, 90mm and leaning towards 55-200.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Argh I can't decide. I love my Oly 25mm 1.8 but sometimes I need a wider prime and I just saw that someone in my little town is selling the Sigma 19mm 2.8 for cheap. Would that be a good choice? I have the Sigma 60mm and I love the AF/handling/image quality but I'm not really sure if the extra 6mm are enough of a difference for events and more cramped spaces.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Argh I can't decide. I love my Oly 25mm 1.8 but sometimes I need a wider prime and I just saw that someone in my little town is selling the Sigma 19mm 2.8 for cheap. Would that be a good choice? I have the Sigma 60mm and I love the AF/handling/image quality but I'm not really sure if the extra 6mm are enough of a difference for events and more cramped spaces.

I had the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 for ages and loved it, but my only complaint was I wished it was just a little wider, especially for indoor architecture, museums, and narrow streets. I'd say look at the Olympus 17mm 1.8 first, unless the sigma is a particularly great deal.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The Panasonic 14mm 2.5 is sharp, small and recommended by this humble poster. The auto focus is also quite a lot faster than the 20mm. If you already have the 25mm it might be a better choice than the Oly 17mm, which is also very good.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Seconding the 14mm, it's a good deal wider than your 25mm and quite capable for the price - I used it a lot for indoor architecture photos while on vacation. I'd sell you mine for cheap (15mm PL and 12-40 are covering my needs), but it's several thousand miles away and I'm in the middle of Africa

edit: If you're looking to buy, keep your eyes on the Fred Miranda buy/sell forums. I've seen a bunch of MFT lenses for sale recently, since a lot of people are trading up the X-T2. I've bought three lenses from there and all have been in fantastic shape.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 4, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Thanks for the recommendations, managed to snag a 14mm for 170 bucks on Ebay. Really seems to be a great lens from what I have seen.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Thanks for the post mate. I'm still figuring out, slowly thiking out what kind of gear I want. This is a great post. I'm really on the fence as everyone says that m43 is great for video, but on the other hand my budget is limited so I wanted to save on not having to buy lenses. I was hoping there was a "best of both words" but it seens I'll have to either accept lower quality stuff or bite the bullet and go full m43. So yeah, thanks everyone, I'll research more and think more about it and maybe ask some more questions when I'm closer to buying my gear (which should be around middle of the year). There's so much to consider as it's a new field for me (always just shot stills, and film nonetheless).

Cheers!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, muscle memory is not my friend. I can keep jabbing the q button, but it will NOT autofocus. Zoom is loving backwards, too.

Handles great with the battery grip. And, even though this is the least important thing, the image quality is fantastic.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I've only used Canon DSLR cameras since 300D came out and I'm thinking about going mirrorless. Considering ergonomics and UI, In your opinion, which mirrorless system would I hate least?

My only mirrorless experience is Sony a5000 which is lovely tiny camera that people don't ever notice but I hate it's tiny controls (gloves!) and 2 level menu with bazillion options with useful settings sprinkled seemingly randomly to different tabs. Even xxxD series Canon bodies are great to use compared to that.

I know quite a few here have made switch away from Canon so interested in your experience and insight. Fiddling with some controls for a bit in shop can only tell so much about long term use...

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I switched to a Olympus E-M10 from Canon (700D) and I couldn't be happier. The controls on the camera are fantastic (and they only get better on more expensive models). The menus are a bit confusing at the beginning but after a week or two you will know where everything is and the ability to reconfigure all buttons is super useful.

Fuji cameras are also great and I bet the Fuji shooters in this thread will tell you everything you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Panasonic is the best buy in for m43 at the moment with the g85 and has better menus than Olympus. They're both good choices.

Everyone else will sing praises about fuji. Sony is better for their FF mirrorless imo rather than the a6x series. If you want to do video lean towards m43, stills I'd consider price and see if you can hold fuji and m43.