Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Okay folks, I need some advice as to whether what I'd like to do in the following situation is smart or not:

Backstory, I work at a small pet store/dog wash. We take full serve dog wash appointments frequently, and as such have a loyal customer base. One such customer I'll call Jackie.

Jackie's dogs are some of the most obese dogs I've ever seen. One (Hank) is a terrier/beagle mix I think, the other (Bella) is a pitbull. Bella is ill and on some medications, which ones I'm not sure. She has several grossly large tumors, but as Jackie cites vet visits when we see her, I assume that some vet somewhere is handling her care. The thing is I don't know if I can properly describe how loving fat her dogs are. Hank should be ~25 pounds and is probably at least 50. Bella is in the same wheelhouse. It's loving tragic to watch Hank struggle to move, it's like he's a barrel on sad shivery sticks. He's about 5 and he looks like he's 9. I've talked to Jackie in a kind, friendly, upbeat way about minimizing their food intake, they seriously get a bully stick every day and Jackie feeds them largely on table scraps, cooks them steak, etc. She is predictably rather large herself, so these conversations are delicate, but I point out that Hank has a hard time standing and he's likely developing arthritis, which she waves away with a barely sheepish "oh I know I just can't say no to them," etc. However, despite these talks the last time she came in Hank and Bella had gained even more weight. My coworker was there in my absence and she was mortified. She doesn't come in often, only every few months, so progression is obvious to us.

What I would like to do next time she comes in, if I'm around, is to take her into a separate room and have a serious conversation with her. Explain that what she's doing to these dogs is extremely detrimental, bordering on/is abuse (I will modulate how I express this to her but this is the gist), and that if her dogs have not lost weight by the next time she comes in we will refuse service based on that. My boss seems on board with this, more or less, and while he doesn't want to lose a customer she's infrequent enough that if we never see her again, oh well.

I just cannot stand by and allow her to breeze in with these terribly depressing dogs any more without doing something. Every time I think about it I get loving enraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Poor dogs. I wouldn't get your hopes up about her changing her ways. If the vet isn't getting through to her, a groomer will probably do no better. But I definitely sympathize and appreciate you trying. It is a form of unlawful animal neglect in some places.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

I think you're right, I suppose I just needed somewhere to vent. :smith: Those poor puppers.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Is this where I post about my girlfriends american pittbull(s) that are plotting to kill me?

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Welcome to GBS posted:

Is this where I post about my girlfriends american pittbull(s) that are plotting to kill me?

Or, you know, in the MURDERDOGS thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769811&pagenumber=3

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I'm hoping for some suggestions on how to introduce pets.
I recently bought a house, I'm painting and doing some minor repairs so I'm not in the house just yet. The plan for a while is for me to take my sweet kitty, Willow

We got her as a kitten from a family that couldn't keep her because pet dog was bullying her. She's very skiddish about everything. She's like 2.5 years old? My little buddy.
Living as a single woman alone in a new house in an area that I'm not super familiar with, I'd like the security of a dog. Mostly it's just that I LOVE dogs. I had been looking online at animal shelters for adoptable dogs before I even closed on the house. A friend of mine rescued a bulldog/pit mix that was abandoned about 8-12 mo ago. We talked about me taking the pup since her big lump of a pit tolerates the new dog but they aren't bffs. I met the pupper and she's such a happy, pretty girl. She's a little ball of energy but she's still in the puppy stage so that's to be expected. The dog doesn't have any hang ups about being abandoned, I've asked extensively to make sure, and when I met the dog it was obvious she wasn't harboring any trauma.

I'm not sure how to introduce the two. I haven't officially said I would take the dog, but she would be a lot happier in a house with a big backyard to run around in, than a townhouse with a grumpy, old dog. I have the benefit of the neutral meeting ground for them but I'm hesitant because of my cat being such a spaz. I'm not sure if she would eventually warm up to the pupper or not. Which is why I haven't officially said yes. The current owner knows I'm waiting for my house to be move in ready and do the move so there's no huge huge pressure. She's still taking care of and training the dog as if she was staying long term. But it is pretty assumed that the dog is mine.
I've never had to introduce a dog and cat so I have no idea how to do it. I'd love any suggestions or insight.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

CeramicPig posted:

I'm hoping for some suggestions on how to introduce pets.
I recently bought a house, I'm painting and doing some minor repairs so I'm not in the house just yet. The plan for a while is for me to take my sweet kitty, Willow

We got her as a kitten from a family that couldn't keep her because pet dog was bullying her. She's very skiddish about everything. She's like 2.5 years old? My little buddy.
Living as a single woman alone in a new house in an area that I'm not super familiar with, I'd like the security of a dog. Mostly it's just that I LOVE dogs. I had been looking online at animal shelters for adoptable dogs before I even closed on the house. A friend of mine rescued a bulldog/pit mix that was abandoned about 8-12 mo ago. We talked about me taking the pup since her big lump of a pit tolerates the new dog but they aren't bffs. I met the pupper and she's such a happy, pretty girl. She's a little ball of energy but she's still in the puppy stage so that's to be expected. The dog doesn't have any hang ups about being abandoned, I've asked extensively to make sure, and when I met the dog it was obvious she wasn't harboring any trauma.

I'm not sure how to introduce the two. I haven't officially said I would take the dog, but she would be a lot happier in a house with a big backyard to run around in, than a townhouse with a grumpy, old dog. I have the benefit of the neutral meeting ground for them but I'm hesitant because of my cat being such a spaz. I'm not sure if she would eventually warm up to the pupper or not. Which is why I haven't officially said yes. The current owner knows I'm waiting for my house to be move in ready and do the move so there's no huge huge pressure. She's still taking care of and training the dog as if she was staying long term. But it is pretty assumed that the dog is mine.
I've never had to introduce a dog and cat so I have no idea how to do it. I'd love any suggestions or insight.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but despite my love for pits and pit mixes they absolutely positively cannot be trusted with smaller animals due to their prey drive. Especially not a spazzy kitty. Please be good to your kitty and not put her in danger. Even if they hit it off really well you will never really be there monitoring them all the time and it doesn't take long for bad poo poo to happen.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but despite my love for pits and pit mixes they absolutely positively cannot be trusted with smaller animals due to their prey drive. Especially not a spazzy kitty. Please be good to your kitty and not put her in danger. Even if they hit it off really well you will never really be there monitoring them all the time and it doesn't take long for bad poo poo to happen.

That's what I've been worried about. I would rather make my kitty happy. Would there be any other breed I should be concerned about? Or any breed that would be best? I am not particularly fond of little dogs. I have no problem with older dogs. Any big pile of floof that wants to just snuggle is my cup of tea

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BASSET HOUNDS

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Chaosfeather posted:

not

true

Though I encourage everybody to be safe with all animals, drawing a hard line in the sand based on breed is stupid.

All dogs are individuals.

The dog may want to kill the cat and can never live with them, as you say, or they could just be really curious and too playful and they might need some calm positive reinforcement training to learn boundaries, or they may completely ignore the cat - regardless of breed, all these reactions are possible within ANY dog breed depending on the individuals animal's socialization and genetics.

It would be wise to see a test of this dog's prey drive before hand, such as how they behave when they see squirrels and cats outdoors on walks. But this is also not 100% indicative of how they will act, because my dog goes apeshit for them outside the house but cats and kittens within our house are completely fine, best friend cuddlemates. My dog tolerates one cat who hates her guts, likes the other two resident cats who are chill, and has raised two kittens including a foster and socialized them. My dog is not the only 'bully breed' that has ever successfully lived with cats, she is hardly a lone anecdotal situation.
Testing them on either side of sturdy chainlink fence, very sturdy baby gates, or even a sliding glass door first, will be the safest way possible. I wouldn't even bring the dog in on a leash or harness first step and just let her corner the cat in a room, recipe for disaster especially if the cat is anxious.

It IS going to harder to guarantee they mesh with an adult dog than it is to train a puppy to get along with a cat - but it is not impossible, and you can play it safe with leash and such before you have a very good idea what behavior to expect while you are training. It is probably not going to be ideal however to have one dog one cat. Not impossible, but both animals would likely enjoy a well matched playmate of their own species - rarely do they get on SO well and share play language that they satisfy their social animal needs.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 9, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

why are you posting a timebomb in the animals thread?

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

why are you posting a timebomb in the animals thread?

I hope I don't start a civil war :ohdear:
I know if I try to introduce them she would prob run off cause she's a spaz and doesn't like being held. I am struggling to find a way to have them interact without making the cat feel cornered. That was one of the first hurdles I came across as I was beginning to think it through. I had heard that caging the dog, especially while I'm not home, for a minimum of a year helps prevent coming home to a bloody nightmare, but that was for 2 pits. However that may work for my situation since the cat could have run of the house and not feel cornered if she investigates the dog.
I considered getting another cat, but I know if I go to a shelter I'm 85% likely to walk out with a dog. I just love them so much :woof:
The dog is still younger so she's got the very excitable puppy mentality still, which really does worry me that she'll really put the cat off just wanting to play and scaring her more.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What the heck is growing on my dogs ribs? He's got like a grape sized lump under his skin, on one of his ribs. Part of the rib feels sort of raised too. Skin is not discolored. It's *right* where his elbow would hit his ribs were he to bend his front leg that way (think jumping down off something).

We already took him to the vet, and are taking him again tomorrow. The first time the doc did a needle biopsy -- said that it wasn't a lipoma, wasn't cancerous, and weirdly (he seemed to imply) it tested only as bruising/inflammation. They also did an x-ray and said nothing was broken. This was maybe a month ago, and it's gotten maybe a tiny bit bigger, and a bit softer since then. I kinda hate our vet, so wouldn't mind totally insane internet stranger theories. (I thought about finding a vet I don't kinda hate, but stuck with the one who did the biopsy at least for tomorrow's appointment.)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have met dogs of many breeds, many personalities and many owner training methods (or lack of). In my unprofessional opinion I feel that it may not be a good idea to adopt an animal to a household that has a potential prey animal. If you have issues with this opinion please PM me and we can discuss it, otherwise please keep the thread free from this argument.

CeramicPig, no matter what you do or how you do it, I have found introductions for cats work better where the cat can retreat into safety on their own accord. I agree that some animals will adjust and accept house animals as exception to the rule and generally leave them alone. However, I've also seen this go horribly wrong through our clients and have had to help in surgeries to fix such errors, and believe me they are not pretty.

If both the cat and dog are available to smell each other on either side of a door first before any lengthy introduction this may help ease them into a relationship. I've generally found that cats can be extra touchy with a new animal moving in so please expect the cat to be a bit upset for a few weeks. Your cat may also be upset with you during this time, not just the dog.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I've dealt with the grumpy cats at the sudden invasion of another cat (or two) to the house so that I'm used to.
I know if I do bring a dog into the mix that she'll hide away for a while. I just don't want that to become something she does forever, nor do I want her to feel traumatized, or do something wrong and set her up for failure. Which is why I'm coming here for advice and suggestions before even agreeing to take in any dog.
I'm super appreciative for all insight and suggestions. I didn't even think of the prey instinct for the dog, and I appreciate the anecdotal evidence that my kitty will not necessarily be ripped to shreds.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

What the heck is growing on my dogs ribs? He's got like a grape sized lump under his skin, on one of his ribs. Part of the rib feels sort of raised too. Skin is not discolored. It's *right* where his elbow would hit his ribs were he to bend his front leg that way (think jumping down off something).

We already took him to the vet, and are taking him again tomorrow. The first time the doc did a needle biopsy -- said that it wasn't a lipoma, wasn't cancerous, and weirdly (he seemed to imply) it tested only as bruising/inflammation. They also did an x-ray and said nothing was broken. This was maybe a month ago, and it's gotten maybe a tiny bit bigger, and a bit softer since then. I kinda hate our vet, so wouldn't mind totally insane internet stranger theories. (I thought about finding a vet I don't kinda hate, but stuck with the one who did the biopsy at least for tomorrow's appointment.)

The only relevant experience/advise I have is that if it's growing you should take it seriously. My dog had a cyst on her ribs that was there, soft and unchanging for a year and then it disappeared. Meanwhile my friends dog had a lump suddenly show up about behind his elbow on his rib, and he was dead a month later. The needle biopsies/aspirates came back fatty tissue, or were inconclusive - surgery to biopsy took a chunk but it was bone, they found, not soft , and larger than they expected - and scan (i think it was a CT or CAT scan?) showed that it was a huge cancerous tumor and it only just became visible on the surface and it was inoperable. So I don't want to scare you, but I would be worried if it was growing and it's on the ribs - that seems to be a pretty common placed for osteosarcomas. I hope it's not though! It does seem pretty small. But maybe get another opinion? You could always just have it removed in surgery and that would be more conclusive/aggressive/preventive.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

The answer is bolded.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

One of my girlfriend's aforementioned pitties is under duress, we think. He has been puking after he eats for about a week now, and it has not been getting better. Yes, before you ask, he is known to eat things he shouldn't. Most times he throws up, something inanimate has come up with it (socks, piece of bone, etc.) We are concerned that he might have something blocking his intestines, and want to avoid a potentially very costly surgery. Are there any kind of home remedies to get anything that might be stuck in there to come out? We've tried hydrogen peroxide, but he's a big guy and any doses we are comfortable giving him just seem to make him burp (so does everything). My girlfriend is worried sick about him, and I figured if anyone would know what to do it would be you goons.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Have your gf take the pittie to the vet! Pittie will get an exam and maybe an xray. If it is bad enough to require surgery, no amount of puking is going to help. Bowel obstructions are no joke. My childhood cat died of eating dental floss. My family waited too long doing home remedies and when they finally gave in and she went in for surgery, she ended up dying in surgery, she was too weak at that point. ;_;

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Welcome to GBS posted:

One of my girlfriend's aforementioned pitties is under duress, we think. He has been puking after he eats for about a week now, and it has not been getting better. Yes, before you ask, he is known to eat things he shouldn't. Most times he throws up, something inanimate has come up with it (socks, piece of bone, etc.) We are concerned that he might have something blocking his intestines, and want to avoid a potentially very costly surgery. Are there any kind of home remedies to get anything that might be stuck in there to come out? We've tried hydrogen peroxide, but he's a big guy and any doses we are comfortable giving him just seem to make him burp (so does everything). My girlfriend is worried sick about him, and I figured if anyone would know what to do it would be you goons.
A week? Seriously? Take him to the vet, you horrible piece of poo poo.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Crooked Booty posted:

A week? Seriously? Take him to the vet, you horrible piece of poo poo.

It hasn't happened every time he's eaten, so maybe I made that sound like it was far more sever than it is. He acts completely normal for the most part, and now that we are actually counting, he's thrown up a total of maybe 4 or 5 times in that period. He's going to the vet as soon as we can make it in, I promise.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Hope it's soon!

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

After two trips to the vet and about $800 in tests, the vets have no idea what's wrong. It could be something in his stomach, but they didn't feel like surgery was needed. Meanwhile, he is still throwing up and there are times where he won't eat, and his pooping is very irregular. This is kind of what I was hoping to avoid when I first posted, but I understand that this is kind of how it goes. We fed him some pumpkin last night, which is supposed to grease up his insides and possibly make him poo poo or throw up whatever might be in his stomach.

Here's Vinny, just so you get an idea of the beast we are working with here. He's a good pup, big and dumb as they come, but lovable to the last.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Oh god he's soooo cute and he looks ever so slightly sad cuz of his tummy.

What is he eating now when he does eat? Have you tried bland chicken and rice? a common GI upset recovery recipe for dogs: http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-Chicken-and-Rice-for-Dogs
That's pretty weird the vets have done so much with no answers. That sucks. I hope he feels better real soon.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

The answer is pumpkin. I was doing some desperate googling last night, and read that some people suggested pumpkin (or other squash) to help the intestines. This morning, he shat out two nasty poops that obviously had something in there. While we are not certain that he's 100%, he seems a lot happier and is back to eating again. We're pretty sure it's the first food to make it through his system in a week. Next time your dog eats something it shouldn't, I can't recommend pumpkin enough.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

That is really good news to hear!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Please tell me what to do. I have a six and a half month Aussie shepherd and beagle mix who currently still lives with her parents because we are currently looking for a place that will allow dogs and the owners are gracious enough to hold on to her for us. We were about to have her spayed when a friend gave us some info to read on the effects of it. After doing some research of my own, I'm worried her beagle side could have issues if we spay her now. But the real issue is I'm worried about her dad getting at her when she starts her first heat. Vet isn't open until Tuesday so can't really do anything immediately, so just trying to get as much info as possible before then.

Picture of Lemon with her parents Lobo and Pequeña​

Lemon had no clue she could run until we took her off leash in the country
https://media.giphy.com/media/26gskg6iWKIF1efOE/200w.gifhttps://media.giphy.com/media/26gskg6iWKIF1efOE/200w.gif

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 23, 2017

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

She's very cute. I don't know about any beagle issues but I've known people with show dogs who recommended waiting until just after the first heat, and if it wasn't a show dog there were no worries about doing it earlier. Obviously, if it's a show dog, there's the chance that you'd want her to have a litter or two, depending on how well she did at her shows. But since she's not a show dog and you don't want her to have a litter, just do it now. On the other hand, waiting until after her first heat, then you know she's got all her growing done and doesn't really need the hormones anymore.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Please tell me what to do. I have a six and a half month Aussie shepherd and beagle mix who currently still lives with her parents because we are currently looking for a place that will allow dogs and the owners are gracious enough to hold on to her for us. We were about to have her spayed when a friend gave us some info to read on the effects of it. After doing some research of my own, I'm worried her beagle side could have issues if we spay her now. But the real issue is I'm worried about her dad getting at her when she starts her first heat. Vet isn't open until Tuesday so can't really do anything immediately, so just trying to get as much info as possible before then.

https://media.giphy.com/media/26gskg6iWKIF1efOE/200w.gifhttps://media.giphy.com/media/26gskg6iWKIF1efOE/200w.gif

Nothing inherently bad to spaying Beagles I am not sure what you read. They're not a large breed dog you'd be concerned about bone growth issues, neither are aussies. While she is really cute and so are her parents, the last thing you need is inbred mutts. Especially if the dad is not neutered and the family keeping her for now is not going to neuter him, for the love of god spay her, ASAP.
Alternatively, ask a VET if you should spay her, not a friend who read some article on the internet.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Not seeing where there are issues with spaying beagles before their first heat. Maybe if she was a larger breed, but spaying before her first heat should be fine. Please feel free to post the info you've researched, I'd love to look at it.

Also, gonna be a bit of a bitch: you aren't paying a huge amount of money for this pup right? Rehoming fee, sure. But this adorable pup is a backyard bred mutt due to the parent's owners not caring about altering their dogs (or actively breed their two dogs which is even stupider).

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I have a Wire-Haired Dachshund/schnauzerish mutt that's probably around 14 years old (he was estimated to be over 2.5 years old when I adopted him over 10 years ago).

When he was about 4, he had a spinal injury due to stairs and jumping on furniture, as dogs of his body type tend to have. He had surgery for this, yet ended up with lessened control over his back half, leading to some incontinence and reduced mobility. His mobility issues weren't that bad after a lot of rehabilitation, mainly he would drag himself around on smooth floors when he was lazy, and kind of bunny-hop or gallop very effectively when he went on walks, with an odd, swaying, but functional gait when walking slowly. A few years later, he suffered a dislocated hip due to getting rolled under a car, for which he also had to have surgery twice, but once again, after a lot of rehabilitation, recovered most of his mobility.

He was fine that way until after he was 10. Due to travel, my parents would sometimes take care of him and spoil him a lot, and he'd come back a few kg heavier (up to about a 25% weight increase). This would affect his ability to walk and run, but would get better after some exercise and losing the extra weight. The weather also affects him, and he'd crawl more when it rains or was cold, which makes sense, I guess. His incontinence has usually been managed with frequent walks, belly bands, and diapers, with a few accidents every now and then, mostly overnight or when he would slip out of his undergarments. He sleeps in an area that's easy to clean, so when an accident happens, it is promptly mopped and his bedding is washed.

A couple of weeks ago, he started dragging himself again, got slightly better with his rehabilitation exercises, but would stay on all four legs less and less. This happens occasionally, but he usually gets better, but he is getting older. His bad leg, the one that got dislocated at the hip, was getting weaker. A few days ago, his good hind leg seems to have lost some mobility as well, and I've basically been carrying him to the park a couple times a day, plopping him down on the grass at a few of his favorite spots, and wiping him with baby wipes after every walk.

The issue is I have a toddler, and my dog's "accidents" when he is free to roam the house have been a pretty big hygiene issue, especially when they happen on play mats or toys. The problem is he doesn't completely empty his bladder on his new "walks", and I can only take him on walks when I'm at home.

Once my kid started crawling, he had transitioned to being more of an outdoor dog during the day, and coming in when I got home from work after his walk. My yard is rough concrete, and now that he's started dragging himself around exclusively, I don't want him hurting himself, and brought him back indoors. Of course two days after I did this, he had an accident while I was at work. I could try to get some cheap smooth ceramic floor installed outdoors so he will be more comfortable outside (I'm in a rental though), or try to restrict the area he can move around in during the day. The area I live in isn't great for doggy wheelchairs, so I've been looking into some sling-based solutions for his walks. I doubt his mobility is coming back.

Besides this, he's still doing pretty good, with a good appetite, regular levels of energy and playfulness and overall mood. He's pretty old now, and it shows in more than his mobility, though, so I'm under no false hopes. I'm mainly aiming for comfort/end of life care.

Any ideas on what I could do? I'm taking him to the vet this week.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Spay that beagssie/Auggle before she gets knocked up by her dad. Spaying before their first heat is perfectly fine for small/medium girl doggos who are going to be around boy doggos and who you definitely don't want pregnant, and you definitely don't want her pregnant by her dad. While I'm sure she's a lovely doggo you don't need any babies out of her, certainly not inbred babies.

And yes ask a vet to confirm this, not someone who read a few articles about how awesome intact doggos are and how all girl doggos should have a litter of babies or they become malformed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is probably a stupid question that I thought I was ready for but recently adopted a Chocolate Himalayan and the guys a super sweet cat but gosh is he terrified of everything. I tried to show him where the litterbox is and the lil guy just huddled into it and is just content to lay in it. I picked him up and moved him to the couch after about a half hour and combed him clean and got into a nuzzle fight before laying down on a nearby pillow. Couple hours later he gets up, pounds his feet a few times into the pillow and drops a turd before looking like a deer in the headlights.

I picked him up and cleaned the spot before showing him to the litterbox again and setting him down right outside it- in which he hurried back in and laid back down. I don't mind combing him clean but uh, should I just let him chill in the box? It's clean right now and my other cat seems fine with him but concerned that it's probably the not the best place to relax when introduced to a new home.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

I have a Wire-Haired Dachshund/schnauzerish mutt that's probably around 14 years old (he was estimated to be over 2.5 years old when I adopted him over 10 years ago).

When he was about 4, he had a spinal injury due to stairs and jumping on furniture, as dogs of his body type tend to have. He had surgery for this, yet ended up with lessened control over his back half, leading to some incontinence and reduced mobility. His mobility issues weren't that bad after a lot of rehabilitation, mainly he would drag himself around on smooth floors when he was lazy, and kind of bunny-hop or gallop very effectively when he went on walks, with an odd, swaying, but functional gait when walking slowly. A few years later, he suffered a dislocated hip due to getting rolled under a car, for which he also had to have surgery twice, but once again, after a lot of rehabilitation, recovered most of his mobility.

He was fine that way until after he was 10. Due to travel, my parents would sometimes take care of him and spoil him a lot, and he'd come back a few kg heavier (up to about a 25% weight increase). This would affect his ability to walk and run, but would get better after some exercise and losing the extra weight. The weather also affects him, and he'd crawl more when it rains or was cold, which makes sense, I guess. His incontinence has usually been managed with frequent walks, belly bands, and diapers, with a few accidents every now and then, mostly overnight or when he would slip out of his undergarments. He sleeps in an area that's easy to clean, so when an accident happens, it is promptly mopped and his bedding is washed.

A couple of weeks ago, he started dragging himself again, got slightly better with his rehabilitation exercises, but would stay on all four legs less and less. This happens occasionally, but he usually gets better, but he is getting older. His bad leg, the one that got dislocated at the hip, was getting weaker. A few days ago, his good hind leg seems to have lost some mobility as well, and I've basically been carrying him to the park a couple times a day, plopping him down on the grass at a few of his favorite spots, and wiping him with baby wipes after every walk.

The issue is I have a toddler, and my dog's "accidents" when he is free to roam the house have been a pretty big hygiene issue, especially when they happen on play mats or toys. The problem is he doesn't completely empty his bladder on his new "walks", and I can only take him on walks when I'm at home.

Once my kid started crawling, he had transitioned to being more of an outdoor dog during the day, and coming in when I got home from work after his walk. My yard is rough concrete, and now that he's started dragging himself around exclusively, I don't want him hurting himself, and brought him back indoors. Of course two days after I did this, he had an accident while I was at work. I could try to get some cheap smooth ceramic floor installed outdoors so he will be more comfortable outside (I'm in a rental though), or try to restrict the area he can move around in during the day. The area I live in isn't great for doggy wheelchairs, so I've been looking into some sling-based solutions for his walks. I doubt his mobility is coming back.

Besides this, he's still doing pretty good, with a good appetite, regular levels of energy and playfulness and overall mood. He's pretty old now, and it shows in more than his mobility, though, so I'm under no false hopes. I'm mainly aiming for comfort/end of life care.

Any ideas on what I could do? I'm taking him to the vet this week.

Do you have an area you could set him up in an expen (like the walls of a crate, but you can shape it and it has no top) during the day with ceramic floor or tile or puppy pads so it's more hygenic/easier to contain? Also, if the issue is his footing, i've heard of a spray on the feet sorta traction stuff i've considered for my 3 legged dog who panics on tile/wood if that might help him out, found here, if that might help:
https://www.amazon.com/Pawfriction-PawFriction/dp/B013JL97DM.

otherwise, i've known doggos who live fine on wood flooring sorta sliding about cuz of spinal issues, but they're helped with steps by the owner, but they retain their bladder control.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is probably a stupid question that I thought I was ready for but recently adopted a Chocolate Himalayan and the guys a super sweet cat but gosh is he terrified of everything. I tried to show him where the litterbox is and the lil guy just huddled into it and is just content to lay in it. I picked him up and moved him to the couch after about a half hour and combed him clean and got into a nuzzle fight before laying down on a nearby pillow. Couple hours later he gets up, pounds his feet a few times into the pillow and drops a turd before looking like a deer in the headlights.

I picked him up and cleaned the spot before showing him to the litterbox again and setting him down right outside it- in which he hurried back in and laid back down. I don't mind combing him clean but uh, should I just let him chill in the box? It's clean right now and my other cat seems fine with him but concerned that it's probably the not the best place to relax when introduced to a new home.

Right now he's probably settling in getting used to a new home and he's probably hiding in the box cuz it's a nice place to hide when his new environment is scary to him. I'd leave him set up in a quiet room/bathroom alone for a bit, with not just a litter box but comfy cardboard boxes or soft bed/cubbies to hide in. 99% of cats have the instinct to dig in litter and use the bathroom there, but it may be a bit disturbed cuz he's so unsure and still becoming comfortable - a lot of cats will also use soft beds, rugs and blankets for the restroom if they're stressed as well, some cats show it more easily than others, even if their litter box is clean, or if they have a medical issue which makes the soft surfaces more appealing. So it may take some time and a little reworking and some more patience and hopefully it won't have to come to a vet visit if he keeps eliminating improperly.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

pizzadog posted:

Do you have an area you could set him up in an expen (like the walls of a crate, but you can shape it and it has no top) during the day with ceramic floor or tile or puppy pads so it's more hygenic/easier to contain? Also, if the issue is his footing, i've heard of a spray on the feet sorta traction stuff i've considered for my 3 legged dog who panics on tile/wood if that might help him out, found here, if that might help:
https://www.amazon.com/Pawfriction-PawFriction/dp/B013JL97DM.

otherwise, i've known doggos who live fine on wood flooring sorta sliding about cuz of spinal issues, but they're helped with steps by the owner, but they retain their bladder control.

He has a child gate that we move around to keep him in the kitchen or in the dining room, which is usually enough, I didn't want to just leave him there all day because he would get really bored, most likely.

On other news, I got him a harness that is basically two loops of really soft cloth that go around his hind legs at the groin and I can help him walk like that (not lifting him, just not letting him fall when he goes too far to a side), and he was really happy about it for his walk last night.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Thanks for all the responses, talked to her vet and she has an appointment for tomorrow.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Not seeing where there are issues with spaying beagles before their first heat. Maybe if she was a larger breed, but spaying before her first heat should be fine. Please feel free to post the info you've researched, I'd love to look at it.

Also, gonna be a bit of a bitch: you aren't paying a huge amount of money for this pup right? Rehoming fee, sure. But this adorable pup is a backyard bred mutt due to the parent's owners not caring about altering their dogs (or actively breed their two dogs which is even stupider).
http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_determining_best_age_to_spay_or_neuter?page=2

Don't know how reputable this site is, but the work seems kind of thorough. They have tables at the bottom that talk about risk associated with breeds, and unless I'm reading it wrong, beagles are at a higher risk after the surgery for transitional cell carcinoma.

And no worries, the only thing we've paid for is shots and so on. They're good friends and let us have the pick of the litter.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
We've got a wild bird stuck in our warehouse at work. There ceilings are probably 30ft high but the dock door is only ~10ft tall. It keeps trying to fly out the unopenable skylight. Any ideas how to get it outside? I think it's some variety of dove.

We thought about putting food on the ground by the door, but I would worry that would attract more birds inside. There are dumpsters nearby and birds like to hang out around them.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 1, 2017

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I did this once with a humming bird - I took a net, tied a bunch of broom handles together, caught the bird for a couple seconds and was able to move the net enough that he got outside. Took about two hours, and you probably don't have a suitable net on hand - it's going to be rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Hello, can everyone post what amazing piss-blocking mattress pad you use (and a link if possible)?
My dog is reeeally old and she's starting to leak pee on my bed. I thought the helldump thread might be a better place to ask because it's prob full of errant pissers and shitters. Buuuut I don't want to shame my dog, she's just really old :sigh:
e: to clarify, it needs to not only block pee, but hold up to frequent washings. This isn't for a guest bed.

shits.ridic fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 4, 2017