Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I've only used Canon DSLR cameras since 300D came out and I'm thinking about going mirrorless. Considering ergonomics and UI, In your opinion, which mirrorless system would I hate least?

My only mirrorless experience is Sony a5000 which is lovely tiny camera that people don't ever notice but I hate it's tiny controls (gloves!) and 2 level menu with bazillion options with useful settings sprinkled seemingly randomly to different tabs. Even xxxD series Canon bodies are great to use compared to that.

I know quite a few here have made switch away from Canon so interested in your experience and insight. Fiddling with some controls for a bit in shop can only tell so much about long term use...

My muscle memory is killing me, but it's already getting better with the XT2. The menus absolutely suck, but you can set the q menu to a lot of your needs, and the MyMenu is also pretty flexible. If you had to dive in all the time, no one would use them, but the basic controls on the XT2 are better and easier than my past with 400D, 5D, 5DII and 5DIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I really appreciated being able to adjust the E-M5 II dial controls through my gloves last night.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I've only used Canon DSLR cameras since 300D came out and I'm thinking about going mirrorless. Considering ergonomics and UI, In your opinion, which mirrorless system would I hate least?

My only mirrorless experience is Sony a5000 which is lovely tiny camera that people don't ever notice but I hate it's tiny controls (gloves!) and 2 level menu with bazillion options with useful settings sprinkled seemingly randomly to different tabs. Even xxxD series Canon bodies are great to use compared to that.

I know quite a few here have made switch away from Canon so interested in your experience and insight. Fiddling with some controls for a bit in shop can only tell so much about long term use...

I switched from Canon to Panasonic - mainly because I liked the idea that m4/3 meant I'd have a wide range of lenses to choose from, plus if Panasonic drop the ball with bodies, I am sure Oly would pick it up (and vice versa). I looked at Sony and realised that when you buy into a new system, you are at the whim of a single company as to how well they support it (Sony: current range: 50 bodies, 3 lenses)and m4/3 negates that.

Also, Pana have the GHx bodies which are very much like a Canon DSLR, only smaller and lighter and the GFx range which is basically a P&S with an exchangeable lens. Very different ergonomics.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Manual focus question. So I bought a 35mm 1.4 the Rokinon lenses off of a friend, and my god, on my A7II(s) I love manual focus. They are light, great cameras, and its a pleasure to use focus peaking and focus magnification, so what are some good full frame manual focus lenses?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Thanks all who answered :) I like that all systems were mentioned - I guess there are no really bad options as long as I stay away from really cheap models. And I know of the Fuji love here. I'll need to weigh my options.

On one hand, A7 is tempting, I have quite a few old MF lenses and could even adapt Canon lenses to it.

But I could give that up and just borrow Canon body from work if I need that. And kit lenses I think are these days good enough that I could just give up those MF lenses too. E-M10 MkII looks really nice and good price for kit. Can forget about adapting anything though due to 2x crop factor. Or maybe X-T10, being previous gen, it's super cheap here at the moment.

Good thing that I don't have to make a quick decision...

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
To make it even harder: You can get speedboosters for M42 (and pretty much all other mounts) lenses that reduce to the crop factor.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Ryand-Smith posted:

Manual focus question. So I bought a 35mm 1.4 the Rokinon lenses off of a friend, and my god, on my A7II(s) I love manual focus. They are light, great cameras, and its a pleasure to use focus peaking and focus magnification, so what are some good full frame manual focus lenses?

Personally I don't think you can do much better than the Zeiss lenses. The Loxia 21mm is excellent, as are the 28mm, 55mm and 85mm Otus lenses, and the 135mm ZF.2 (I prefer the classic design to the Milvus since I prefer its handling and smoother focus). Those would be a decent collection across the focal length range if you're looking to build a system.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
alternatively, get a leica adapter and buy some voigtlanders. Or a minolta adapter, or OM adapter.

The loxia are the best because they're high quality and save metadata properly, but they're also luxury even by camera lens standards.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

MeruFM posted:

alternatively, get a leica adapter and buy some voigtlanders.

I would be careful with adapting rangefinder lenses, many are known to suffer from ray angle issues when adapted to the Sony cameras.

Also, I've found the Loxia 21mm (and 85mm) seem to be much better performers than the 35mm and 50mm since the latter two are based on older, simpler designs.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 6, 2017

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Has tech progressed to the point where a mirrorless camera makes more sense than a DSLR if you're buying entry-level/mid-range stuff?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Has tech progressed to the point where a mirrorless camera makes more sense than a DSLR if you're buying entry-level/mid-range stuff?

I honestly would consider full frame DSLR the niche product at this point. Wildlife and sports is where it still excels. Otherwise, for most applications, if you're starting from scratch I don't know why you wouldn't go with one of the mirrorless options, unless you are a yeti and have hands the size of frying pans.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

In my opinion, yes. The EVFs and autofocus systems have reached a point where most users will be happy with the performance. Battery life is still a shortcoming, for sure.

Are there still particular shooting scenarios where a DSLR might be better? Absolutely. For my purposes, however, I like the compactness, controls, and results of using of my mirrorless camera more than any of my Canon DSLRs and thus just find myself shooting more because of the switch.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Short answer: yes.

The only areas where DSLRs hold an advantage are battery life and sports/wildlife where super fast AF and fast, long tele lenses are necessities. Beyond that, I'm hard pressed to think of a reason why you would get a DSLR. Maybe if you're buying used and want a cheap FF body from yesteryear?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I'm entering the world of real filters and could use your guys' opinions on a cart-full of stuff from B&H.

I'm going to Costa Rica in March for a few weeks and want to be able to really push my camera to the limits. I've got the EM-5 Mark I and the 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO that I'll be taking with me.

Here's what I've got picked out so far and I'd really appreciate your thoughts on what I've got:

Cokin Z-Pro U960 Pro Graduated Neutral Density Filter Kit - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387468-REG/Cokin_CU960_Z_Pro_U960_Pro_Graduated.html
Cokin Z-Pro Series Filter Holder Adapter Ring (72mm) - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387403-REG/Cokin_CZ472_72mm_Z_Pro_Adapter_Ring.html
Formatt Hitech 100 x 100mm Resin Standard Neutral Density 1.2 Filter - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/100336-REG/Hitech_HT1382_4x4_Neutral_Density_ND.html
LEE Filters 100 x 100mm Big Stopper 3.0 Neutral Density Filter - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686370-REG/LEE_Filters_10_STOP_GLASS_4X4_4_x_4_Big.html

I feel like I've picked out a good mix of grad and non-grad filters, but I'm open to suggestions. Keep in mind that this collection of stuff is right at the top of my budget so any addition means something else is gonna have to come out.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
What are you planning on doing with your filters? I'm sure there'll be plenty of other opinions here, but personally I've largely found filters to be a waste of time - far easier to use multiple exposures and post processing these days. The exception is large aperture shots where you're limited by shutter speed, for that I pack a 3-stop screw-on ND just in case but only on the very rare occasions when I know I'll need it.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 7, 2017

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Jimlad posted:

What are you planning on doing with your filters? I'm sure there'll be plenty of other opinions here, but personally I've largely found filters to be a waste of time - far easier to use multiple exposures and post processing these days. The exception is large aperture shots where you're limited by shutter speed, for that I pack a 3-stop screw-on ND just in case but only on the very rare occasions when I know I'll need it.

I shoot sunsets a LOT, and I'm going to Costa Rica for a few weeks in March and will be seeing some waterfalls as well as shooting some long exposure sky photos. I know you can do *some* stuff in post (I already do, actually) but I'm really trying to get it right in-camera more now so I'm pretty set on getting filters of some description, it's now just a question of which ones.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Does the E-M 5 Mark I have the live composite mode? That mode is incredibly useful for long exposures without ND filters (especially for stuff like star trails and fireworks but you can also use it for waterfalls etc).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Does the E-M 5 Mark I have the live composite mode? That mode is incredibly useful for long exposures without ND filters (especially for stuff like star trails and fireworks but you can also use it for waterfalls etc).

It does! How-to video is here

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Even though most things can be done in post, I like using filters to get something close to the final image in camera. It's nice being able to show people the shot immediately on the camera LCD or to wifi transfer straight from camera to phone to quickly post to Instagram or Facebook without having to do any major processing. Less time in post is a plus in my book. I haven't found the extra setup time to be much if a hindrance, especially if I'm already taking the time to setup a tripod.

As far as filter recommendations go, have you looked into the Lee Seven5 system? It uses smaller filters (designed for smaller mirrorless lenses) that are often a bit cheaper than their 100mm counterparts. Just make sure the holder doesn't vignette on whatever lenses you will use it with. 12mm on m43 isn't extremely wide, so I'd be surprised if it does, but I'd still look for some trip reports.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Jimlad posted:

Short answer: yes.

The only areas where DSLRs hold an advantage are battery life and sports/wildlife where super fast AF and fast, long tele lenses are necessities. Beyond that, I'm hard pressed to think of a reason why you would get a DSLR. Maybe if you're buying used and want a cheap FF body from yesteryear?

Autofocus in garbage light conditions is also much faster on off-chip PDAF systems yet, due to the size of the PDAF sensor being larger due to mirror and magnification trickery vs on-chip PDAF systems. But off-chip PDAF systems accordingly require a mirror box to function, and have fewer autofocus points, due to the aforementioned trickery.

But at this point we're talking about the difference between a Canon 1DXmk[I|II]/5D[3|4] and an high end "pro" mirrorless camera, a need only a few people have (night time sports, concert photography, etc), and there's no suitable way to cost compare this group directly.

On-chip PDAF systems on high end mirrorless cameras are nearly as fast as their off-chip cousins in good light, though.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

Just make sure the holder doesn't vignette on whatever lenses you will use it with. 12mm on m43 isn't extremely wide, so I'd be surprised if it does, but I'd still look for some trip reports.
It does. I spoke to the Lee people and they said to do the 100mm system. No big deal.

I ended up ordering almost completely different stuff:

LEE Filters 100 x 100mm Little Stopper 1.8 Neutral Density Filter LELS44
LEE Filters 100 x 100mm Big Stopper 3.0 Neutral Density Filter LEBS44
LEE Filters Foundation Kit (Standard 4x4", 4x6" Filter Holder) (Requires Adapter Ring) LEFK
LEE Filters Adapter Ring - 72mm - for Wide Angle Lenses LEARWA72
LEE Filters Three-Pocket Filter Pouch LEFP3

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nexxai posted:

It does. I spoke to the Lee people and they said to do the 100mm system. No big deal.

I ended up ordering almost completely different stuff:

LEE Filters 100 x 100mm Little Stopper 1.8 Neutral Density Filter LELS44
LEE Filters 100 x 100mm Big Stopper 3.0 Neutral Density Filter LEBS44
LEE Filters Foundation Kit (Standard 4x4", 4x6" Filter Holder) (Requires Adapter Ring) LEFK
LEE Filters Adapter Ring - 72mm - for Wide Angle Lenses LEARWA72
LEE Filters Three-Pocket Filter Pouch LEFP3
Looks a lot like what I sold here for peanuts a few months ago!

It's a fun setup, but it just didn't fit my transition from FF DSLR to APS-C mirrorless.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 8, 2017

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

windex posted:

Autofocus in garbage light conditions is also much faster on off-chip PDAF systems

Eh, I've found DSLRs struggle plenty in low light as well, but I haven't tried the 1DX shooting night sports either. The flip side is that manual focus is so good on mirrorless systems that to me it's a no-brainer to just use MF in most "normal" low light situations, it makes shooting concerts a breeze.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Jimlad posted:

Eh, I've found DSLRs struggle plenty in low light as well, but I haven't tried the 1DX shooting night sports either. The flip side is that manual focus is so good on mirrorless systems that to me it's a no-brainer to just use MF in most "normal" low light situations, it makes shooting concerts a breeze.

I agree about the manual focus comment (and the only autofocus lenses I even own now are in SA mount...), but it was a nice thing for awhile when I was shooting concerts (high ISO + fast AF). It took till a year or so ago for me to find a mirrorless camera I liked the appearance of ISO 3200/6400 on even in monochrome (it was a PEN-F).

Long lenses and manual focus on large sensor cameras is loving terrible for working out depth of field manually, and by long I mean longer than 50mm. Most mirrorless has an inherent advantage to depth of field given the smaller sensor size and it makes things way easier.

windex fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 8, 2017

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Quick question just to be sure - I could stick my Canon flashes on Sony A7 mark whatever camera and use them safely in manual mode, right? Fuji too? I read about something that it would be bad idea on newer Olympus bodies though

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why bad on olympus? It's just a pin connection to allow ttl.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Quick question just to be sure - I could stick my Canon flashes on Sony A7 mark whatever camera and use them safely in manual mode, right? Fuji too? I read about something that it would be bad idea on newer Olympus bodies though

Sometimes, but in my experience it's usually better to physically interrupt the TTL pins with a piece of electrical tape and just let the center pin and side contacts connect. Either that or use an on-camera baby flash to remotely trigger the others. The 600EX-RT's I had used to refuse to fire if they got weird signaling from the connected camera.

I am currently using Sigma EF-630's because they have a sync port and good wide panel (17mm) and power coverage (no issues with common 135mm distances).

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Looks a lot like what I sold here for peanuts a few months ago!

Son of a... :arghfist:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jimlad posted:

Looking forward to doing this again. Used to shoot with an OM f1.8 50mm on the first PEN. I had an RX100 for a while and just used that because the low light performance was amazing, and it was never a fuss to bring into shows.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

I honestly would consider full frame DSLR the niche product at this point. Wildlife and sports is where it still excels. Otherwise, for most applications, if you're starting from scratch I don't know why you wouldn't go with one of the mirrorless options, unless you are a yeti and have hands the size of frying pans.

Yep. I think the entry and mid-range cameras to buy now are all mirrorless; it's where they've stolen the show from DSLRs in most respects. There's maybe something to be said for the high-end crop-body DSLR (D500) as a viable niche product for wildlife & sports as well, but either way you have to go to the "pro" price range to get something with worthwhile advantages over mirrorless.

Even for action and wildlife, I think when comparing mid-range DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, the latest mirrorless stuff has an edge (provided the appropriate lenses are available in the system lineup). This is simply because the AF, while not quite as fast in all situations, does have an accuracy advantage because the system is integrated with the sensor. This makes focus shift much less of a potential issue. High-end DSLRs get around this by having much tighter tolerances for imaging <-> focusing sensor alignment, and, failing that, AF micro adjustment options.

I work at a place with a lot of school field trips, and that means photographer moms. (I mean semi-professional family documentarians, thank you.) The DSLR rules the roost among that set, although the proportion of mirrorless cameras I've seen has grown every season. First it was just the early-adopter type yuppie dads, but it's filtered out to the general population, although DSLRs are still in the majority. It seems like one of the biggest concerns that consumers have when selecting a camera is durability, and DSLRs just feel more robust. But the reflex mirror system is really just another point of potential failure that mirrorless cameras eschew.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I will never shut up about how much mirrorless systems own for travel these days over most DSLRs. A bag that held my old DSLR and 3-4 good lenses would be plenty hefty, and now can hold a body plus like 7-8 lenses if I wanted, and still weigh far less.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

I will never shut up about how much mirrorless systems own for travel these days over most DSLRs. A bag that held my old DSLR and 3-4 good lenses would be plenty hefty, and now can hold a body plus like 7-8 lenses if I wanted, and still weigh far less.

My carry on for a month long trip was a Peak Designs Everyday Messenger 13. I packed it with an Xpro2, 10-24, 23, 35, 56, 90, and a bunch of peripheral tech things that couldn't go into my checked luggage. Fit just fine under the sat of my plane and my shoulders feel fine after carrying it around all day. Granted I did not bring a laptop but still an amazing amount of gear to travel with in such a small bag.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Somewhat related, having a second body owns. I am glad I kept my x-t1. I dusted it off to bring it out in the snow today and took it, with out grip and with the 35mm f2, out today with the x-t2. I have been shooting the latter for long enough now that I expect the bulk since I am using the grip and mostly the 100-400 but having the x-t1 added virtually no bulk or weight - I didn't even notice it hanging off of me and I was able to seamlessly switch between the long lens to the shorter one without having to fiddle with lens changes. The only time I have done this before was when I was shooting canon and had an x100 as a second camera (which was actually the catalyst to me switching since I started leaving the 5d home more and more often) but now that I have two fujis the output is extremely similar so it looks like all the photos came from the same camera without having to fiddle around in post to try to make them match.

I would (and do) recommend anyone getting into photography to get a mirrorless. Even before I got into Fuji I was recommending the Sony NEX to friends who thought they wanted a dslr and were then very happy to get something smaller and more like what they actually wanted from a camera body than getting a rebel or whatever their photomom friends told them to get. Except for some very niche circumstances (like getting a d500, for example if all you want is blazing autofocus) I think pretty much anyone looking for entry or mid level cameras would be happier with a mirrorless nowadays.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What's the general consensus on buying a used mirrorless? We've been talking about getting a better camera than a point and shoot for when we take trips or go on vacation, and were looking aftermarket (mainly because we're stingy.)
We're not looking for the latest and greatest, so one that's a couple years old isn't something we're oppose to. Any suggestions on an older model?
Most of the photos will be landscape or buildings, people, motorcycles. A decent low light sensor would be nice, but not essential.
Budget would be in the $300-$500 range (if that's doable.)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

its all nice on rice posted:

What's the general consensus on buying a used mirrorless?

I'm not sure I would ever buy any lens or body new at this point, unless it was a super hot thing that I just had to have - like the x100 when it first came out. Although, KEH getting lovely has tempered my view on this a bit.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My E-M10 is an Olympus refurb and it seems almost new. Bought an Oly 45mm rated 8 on B&H and it's great. There are some scratches on the plastic but the glass is flawless.

I got my E-M10 plus 14-42 kit lens for $320, and it was in stock again yesterday but is gone now. Might be a good place to watch if you want to spend under $500.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras.html

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out. Why is KEH lovely now? Did they increase pricing or something?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Edit: I can't speak for anyone else, but I've had a couple of occasions where the KEH EX condition stuff I ordered was... Not really even close to that. Of course they'll still take it back with no problems so it could be worth it to give them a shot, but they used to have a reputation for being very exacting with their rating system, and they seem to have lost that. Apparently they got bought out a while back and it's been downhill ever since? I wouldn't know, myself. I never used them during their heyday.

--

Yeah I'd honestly feel more confident buying a used mirrorless camera than a DSLR. Fewer moving parts to worry about.

And this is kind of a reach, maybe, but it seems like the consumer culture around mirrorless cameras skews even more toward the early-adopter hype nerd iterative upgrader types, so even though there are, listing for listing, probably fewer mirrorless cameras, vs DSLRs, on sites like craigslist, what is available stands a good chance of having been owned by someone who used it casually and is selling out to get whatever newer version just got released. This is opposed to 'pros' or 'serious enthusiasts' who are liable to sell you their turnt DSLRs with topped-out shutter counts.

This is beneficial to the buyer, because they're still cameras, not cell phones. Even if it's a generation behind, it's still going to be perfectly usable for a good while.

Edit 2: except maybe Olympus OM-Ds. Use caution buying used EM1's or 5's. Especially if the dude selling them talks about shooting Spartan Races.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 11, 2017

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

its all nice on rice posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out. Why is KEH lovely now? Did they increase pricing or something?

Owners sold KEH to a private equity firm sometime in 2014(?) and things went downhill. Here's a Glassdoor review:

quote:

In the last three years, there will have been 4 CEOs, 3CFOs, 2 CIOs, 6+ CMOs. They can't stop turning over the senior management ranks. Private equity ownership have no idea what they are doing. The culture is abysmal. The staff is completely demoralized.

Sounds like some layoffs in there as well. Around the same time a few of us here on SA started noticing the grades didn't really seem to be the same quality as they previously were.They ignored a handful of my emails when I was trying to buy stuff or regarding my items that I was selling to them. They pay way less for things you sell to them now. They got hacked and ignored questions about that. They went from an A company to a D company in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Resellerratings.com has seen KEH go from amazing reviews to a ton of one and two star. It's crazy sad; I got a few nice Canon primes from them and a barely used flash back in the day.

Adorama, B&H, and Roberts Camera all get good reviews. Amazon Fulfilled used and Amazon Warehouse Deals are good places to look as well. I haven't bought used from Amazon yet but their return policy is so easy I can't see much risk there.