Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it was Wing -> G -> 0079-> SEED IIRC? It's been a long-rear end time.

0079 also got 9/11'd

They got all of the OVAs though, because Peter Cullen to do all the Toonami trailers for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

0079 is good

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Improbable Lobster posted:

MSG has aged really badly

Just showed it to someone last year who expressed deep concern over not being able to enjoy old anime cause it looks bad.

She absolutely loved it and praised its realistic characters who you both hate and want to see survive. A good story is timeless folks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus all the funny faces the RX-79-2 makes due to the bad animation.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 4, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Belzac posted:

I would never show anyone origin to get them into UC.

Because you have them read Origin instead :colbert:.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plus all the funny faces the RX-79-2 makes due to the bad animation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The terrifying true form of the G-Self.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Droyer posted:

From my own experience and what others have told me people seem to like Unicorn more overall if they have seen little or no gundam previously. Anything you absolutely have to know is explained in-show, and they're not bothered about how it does very little new.

Banagher is actually fresh and interesting if you haven't seen his character done before and better?

Improbable Lobster posted:

MSG has aged really badly

I agree. Technically G Gundam was my introduction but that was well over a decade ago and it's so radically different in presentation and style from other Gundams I don't count it.

So when I got into the series about 3 years ago now, I started with 0079 anime and I still can't really bear to re-watch it apart from select episodes. I just found it boring and I liked nobody on the White Base. I was far more interested in the Zabis but they are barely in the show.

I then went onto MS Team and I liked it okay. The characters felt more human than MSG. I also loved the "Zeke" name for Zeon. Little things like that really help. Still, I was only kinda eh about the whole thing, especially with that ending.

Then Stardust Memory was so bad I just stopped at like, Episode 7 or 8.

It was only with Zeta I considered myself a Gundam fan. I loved that show from start to end. Kamille still stands as my favorite Gundam MC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Msg has a groovy soundtrack. I will admit I like the ideas and concepts the show presents more than the actual execution. Which is why I find Origin so engaging, because it is an old story refined and nails what good Gundam series do really well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would enjoy seeing a full adaptation of Origin.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Belzac posted:

MSG failed to entertain 14 year olds watching after school cartoons. That doesn't mean it's a bad show unless your judge of a good show is if it would please a 14 year old after school.

MSG aired first on Toonami, did not do well, and then shifted to the Adult Swim block(which deliberately targets late teenagers and young adults) and did even worse there until it was pulled, so this handwave doesn't really work.

Nobody said MSG isn't a great story, it is just that a very long 70s animated super robot show with a lot of monster of the week episodes is a really hard sell for anyone who isn't being pulled into Gundam by a friend or isn't already interested in it to begin with. That's why most people here recommend the movies to new posters asking if they should watch it despite the movies missing out on some stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still, I'd put 0080 or Zeta as introductory shows. Too bad the OP and End songs for the dub of Zeta are nowhere near as good as the original 80s themes. I mean, the military brass is good, don't get me wrong, but Beyond Time is amazing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My GF would like MSG. We watched the first episode of Rose of Versailles and she absolutely loved it.

I'm hesitant to show Unicorn to someone unfamiliar with Gundam because its themes are really steeped in the franchise. I mean, it's really pretty, but to appreciate the story? Hmmm...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm hoping they'll do an adaption of Origin because as much as I love MGS it's age and pacing really do make it harder to convince people to check it out, plus it would be nice if it got a really good voice acting crew behind the dub for it.

Crossing my fingers it will eventually happen as they are doing Operation British and Loum.

Of course it might be one horribly long joke and out of the blue we get Victory Gundam 2: Bogoloo Harder (and die).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For me, at least, sitting down and watching MSG about ten years ago or so is what really pushed me over the edge from being relatively interested in Gundam to full on devotee. I still rewatch it every few years, and I think I find myself liking it more as time goes on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SeanBeansShako posted:

Of course it might be one horribly long joke and out of the blue we get Victory Gundam 2: Bogoloo Harder (and die).

I wish they'd play that joke, because I'd love it. Late UC doesn't get nearly enough love, and it's not like it'd be a Tomino production anyway, since he's no longer interested in UC himself, so a lot of people's problems with Victory would be absent. They'd be absent even if Tomino did direct, since he's no longer interested in the same style of production himself regardless.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well as long as isn't a gut punching grueling to watch, that era itself is empty and we really do want to know what happened before Turn A now.

Also, I'm almost done with G-Gundam, It took me a year to get around to catch up. Hilariously one of my favourite things is the literal translation of the name of an incredibly obvious twist towards the end with a certain Gundam Fighter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm hesitant to show Unicorn to someone unfamiliar with Gundam because its themes are really steeped in the franchise. I mean, it's really pretty, but to appreciate the story? Hmmm...

Show it to them. It's pretty with good music and they tell you everything you need to know during the show. If they like the Universal Century enough to subsequently watch all the shows so they got the references they'll probably watch Unicorn again when they're done.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Seriously Unicorn gets an encouraging push from me based on the art quality and music alone. I love watching it.

Besides, it also gave us the best ship captain in Zinnerman.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Seriously Unicorn gets an encouraging push from me based on the art quality and music alone. I love watching it.

Besides, it also gave us the best ship captain in Zinnerman.

I'm still kind of amazed that he survived Episode 5.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Right? Thought was being broadcast fairly heavily.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Hey Gundam people! I know nothing about gundams. In this here thing they're selling,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bandai-...7MAAOSwB4NWu5do

... that's just the accessories, right? What's the name of the guy in the picture holding the axe there and where would I get one?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unkempt posted:

Hey Gundam people! I know nothing about gundams. In this here thing they're selling,

... that's just the accessories, right? What's the name of the guy in the picture holding the axe there and where would I get one?

That there is the Gundam Gusion. You can get it from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-HG-Orphans-Gundam-Gusion/dp/B0162CNUN8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486254426&sr=8-2&keywords=gusion

or you could get a bigger one

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Gundam-Gusion-Building/dp/B018TGV2XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486254426&sr=8-1&keywords=gusion

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, that is just the accessories.

The mecha is Gundam Gusion from Iron-Blooded Orphans. Be careful not to get the Rebake which is a different mobile suit built off the original's frame.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Jesus you guys are quick. Thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Jesus you guys are quick. Thanks!

The Gunpla thread is also helpful with questions like this.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I showed my roommates gundam wing, which was hilarious and loved by all. They then went and watched turn A gundam on their own time, after I told them "wing is very silly but other gundam shows actually pull off the serious war stuff pretty well." And after that we watched the first season of gundam 00, which they also liked (Ali al Sanchez's dub voice and Patrick colasour being the best really helped)

Then, after they were already hooked on the idea of gundam, I showed them the 0079 movie trilogy. Which wasn't incredible, but it was enjoyable as a neat "here's where these concepts got started" historical piece. I think they would've been pretty bored if I had started with the trilogy first, but since they already had a basic understanding of gundam it was interesting for them to watch.

They then went on to watch unicorn and thunderbolt and zeta and the origin movies and now one of them regularly buys and builds MG gunplas so I guess that's my take on watching the original series? It isn't a good introduction to gundam but it is a good next step, and serves as a good gateway to a bunch of really good gundam shows

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tsob posted:

I didn't say either of those things. I said Wing was drowned in melodrama, not that no other series has melodrama. Wing has more than most other Gundam shows. And that the melodrama transformed the series from a potentially interesting piece on the role of soldiers in a peaceful society and how drones transform warfare in to a much more comedic show that had those elements, but only had the most superficial discussion of them because it was more concerned with other elements. The show is fine if it serves what you're looking for, but if you are looking for a discussion of soldiers and drones Wing isn't it.

This is an interesting assessment of Wing but honestly I think the melodrama got less and less as the show went on, and it just blazed through so many plots in so many settings. Five main characters that split off in various groups along with supporting characters getting their own bits just gives nothing any time to happen. The show's middle 3/5 just goes and goes and goes. There are some interesting ideas but no one really has any time to have a coherent response or take. It makes Treize in particular come off as hilarious. There is definitely such a thing as too much plot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Belzac posted:

Just showed it to someone last year who expressed deep concern over not being able to enjoy old anime cause it looks bad.

She absolutely loved it and praised its realistic characters who you both hate and want to see survive. A good story is timeless folks.

This guy get's it. The animation in the original gundam has not aged well and it was pretty bad even for the time, but it's still a drat good sci-fi story.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gundam's 40th is in like 2 years, right?

I'd be excited if they announced a remake of the first series for it.

It would have really good odds of being better than the LoGH remake at least

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
By the time Origin finishes adapting the prequel chapters, it will be the 40th anniversary. They might as well keep going

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vertical just announced the new gundam manga they're translating.

https://twitter.com/Vertical_Comics/status/829045971480870912

It's glory of the losers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bit disappointing to hear when so much of that is already in English, albeit unofficially.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Raxivace posted:

Bit disappointing to hear when so much of that is already in English, albeit unofficially.

Somehow I don't think Vertical is taking fan translations into account. Me, I'd much rather have an official release I can put on the shelf.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hopefully it'll be in the same format as Gundam Thunderbolt, not The Origin.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
08th MS Team Blu Ray has been announced.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

08th MS Team Blu Ray has been announced.

Dubbed version of Battle in Three Dimensions? (I loving wish)

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 8, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

That reminds me, is shiro's dub VA the same guy who did banagher?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kingtheninja posted:

That reminds me, is shiro's dub VA the same guy who did banagher?

Yep. He's also McGillis in the Iron Blooded Orphans dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Vertical just announced the new gundam manga they're translating.

https://twitter.com/Vertical_Comics/status/829045971480870912

It's glory of the losers.

I am cool with this, what with this AU having the best looking uniforms.