Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Is solvaset the same as Micro Sol/Mr Mark Softer? Working on a Nu ver Ka and bracing myself for the decals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Microsol is much much stronger than set. This can gently caress up some more sensitive decals, like gold leaf stuff.

Not that solvaset is perfect but it's just right for Bandai and Sam's decals. Though some of Sam's older stuff is kind of thick and tough so might require a couple applications.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

One thing with waterslides is though, you'll find yourself going through weirdly massive quantities of q-tips. Use one end for too long and it gets too poofy and can accidentally push something out of the place where you want it, meaning you might have to re-wet it and ugh.

That said though, definitely get some solvaset. It's a godsend for making sure stuff doesn't move EVER once it's dry. Just for the love of god make sure you don't touch it or let the decal come in contact with anything ever until it's fully dry.

Use the foam tip ones for optical equipment. The tip won't deform and you can use one for several days

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...I really /do/ have to wonder how Kotobukiya ended up producing SRW kits. Wasn't Banpresto's acquisition by Bamco a recent-ish thing? Maybe the deal predates that, hmmm.

On the other hand, maybe Koto's best suited to it, even if it comes at the expense of more fragility and priciness. Bandai's model would be great for all the Huckies and Gespensts and probably Lions, but given the nature of the series, there's exceedingly little standard between any other two suits, unless they took some liberties. I'm not sure how Bandai'd tackle stuff like the Personlichkeit, which is a thing I really want now that I know a model kit of it exists.

I wonder though, how the larger super robots could work for scale. Theoretically would a 1/144 Grungust or RaiOh be pretty similar in size to anything else in 1/100? Dunno how much things vary in OG by size, aside from the Gigan being especially enormous. As far as I can tell though, the Koto kits produce everything in the same size, I think.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah koto's srw stuff is either 1/144 or "non-scale" so they're approximately the same size as the 1/144 ones. As for if all the srw OG robots could work in the same scale

I, uh, doubt it

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Would totally fork out the cash for a 1/144 Gunleon.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

Yeah koto's srw stuff is either 1/144 or "non-scale" so they're approximately the same size as the 1/144 ones. As for if all the srw OG robots could work in the same scale

I, uh, doubt it

I dunno...I can see it, sorta. Most of them are down at the normal 20m scale you'd see for a normal 1/144 - decent amount of the likely big sellers too, namely the Alt/Rein, Virgola and Brasta and other such things. There's a number of larger ones around the 30-40m mark, like Masou Kishin stuff, the A supers, Granteed, Valhawk, and soooorta Gunleon, you could market in the same price point as your normal 1/100, and I think then the 50m Grungusts/DGGs (and the combiners too since model kits are too touchy for something like the SRX and Forte Gigas to work out like that) would pretty much be the same size as 1/60s. They'd probably be cheaper and simpler but more or less the same general price point and market - more like upscaled MGs than the massive complicated actual PGs.

The chart's actually sorta reasonable for that, it's just thrown off by a few offenders - namely the Chevalier/Blanche Neige upgrades, which are literally the same kind of thing as the Neo Zeong, and the Valstork/Valzacard. The former would probably be a weird special limited thing since those two are weird and not the most popular, but the Valstork and Arm Stora at that price point might be something you could market more regularly since more people are into the Valzacard. It'd be pricey, 45,000y at a generous minimum for the two combined, probably more like 55 or even 60 since it's a more niche market. Stuff like the Giganscudo are also in that range but that's kind of a small pool all in all.

Lot of the grunt enemy mechs are around the 20m mark too until basically around D onwards, where I think, but can't confirm, that Ruina and Fury stuff are more like 30-40, and most games onward definitely fall into the same, with Database things starting out exceptionally big. Most final and semi-final bosses though are ridiculously enormous ungainly things, the only exceptions off the top of my head are the Zweizergain and Valsion. Even then, there's very few of them I can see as all that marketable in any event, OG enemies aren't quite as charismatic as Gundam ones. Shurouga and Astranagant would sell okay? Maybe some of the Balmar ones too?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Did Bandai change plastics somewhere long the line? Or does the plastic age poorly? I feel like there are some kits that cut incredibly poorly, even doing exactly the same steps as normal. Just way more prone to stress marks.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

EVGA Longoria posted:

Did Bandai change plastics somewhere long the line? Or does the plastic age poorly? I feel like there are some kits that cut incredibly poorly, even doing exactly the same steps as normal. Just way more prone to stress marks.

Different plastic pigments can significantly affect the materials properties of polystyrene- darker pigments are frequently a lot more brittle. Bandai also now uses a special polystyrene blend that works better for their injection molding processes, but it's susceptible to cracking when exposed to nonpolar solvents like mineral spirits.

Something else Bandai has done recently is change the sprue design- Just look at a newly minted Graze from IBO and compare it to a kit made a decade ago, like the 00 Gundam. You barely even need sprue cutters for the modern ones, but the old ones will frequently leave nasty marks.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Yeah, I think it was IBO kits that really made it stand out. I've been on a spree of them + some BF kits that seem more modern (using that same small poly-cap set and the more modern sprues), and it just really struck me how different. I was wondering if it was just that the plastic aged poorly and kits that had been on the shelf for 6 months+ were more brittle than ones more recent or something.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Is there any kind of article about the design of the runners of plastic models? I'd be interested in reading about how those have evolved over the years.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

That Gobbo posted:

Is there any kind of article about the design of the runners of plastic models? I'd be interested in reading about how those have evolved over the years.

You could take a look at Bandai's original patent for the multi-colored runners.

Interesting that it just expired recently, we could see other companies start to use this technology.

Also interesting that the diagrams tell you exactly what Bandai intended to do with the tech.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Crossposting from The Dorkroom, but I'm going to a local mecha convention this weekend. Is there any advice I should know in order to take reasonably decent pics of plamo sitting behind glass cases? I have a flash I can fire off-cam. Thanks!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Schneider Heim posted:

Crossposting from The Dorkroom, but I'm going to a local mecha convention this weekend. Is there any advice I should know in order to take reasonably decent pics of plamo sitting behind glass cases? I have a flash I can fire off-cam. Thanks!
Bring a tripod, turn off your flash, and turn up the exposure time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Or just bring a polarizer because tripods and cons tend to not get along

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ya youre gunna need a polarizing filter

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
On SRW kit scale talk:

Koto made a 1/144 Daizengar and I want one real bad.

1/144 Huckies are the same size as Gundam stuff. Gespenst based things are between 1/144 and 1/100 and Cybuster at 1/144 is a little bigger than 1/100 Gundams. OG Super robots tend to be ~50m supposedly which means you end up with stuff like the Daizengar there for the Grungusts and stuff.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, it's a shame it's the only one, because the 1/144 Dygenguar is a really cool gimmick and I'd absolutely love to see more super robots done to scale with my real robot models.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, it's a shame it's the only one, because the 1/144 Dygenguar is a really cool gimmick and I'd absolutely love to see more super robots done to scale with my real robot models.

But then I'd need a 1/100 DGG. Boy it would sure be a shame if they had to release a 1/100 DGG and Auss. Boy. Just a tragedy. Noooobody would want that, right? :haw:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i'm still waiting on 1/144 compatikaiser :C

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But then I'd need a 1/100 DGG. Boy it would sure be a shame if they had to release a 1/100 DGG and Auss. Boy. Just a tragedy. Noooobody would want that, right? :haw:

People definitely wouldn't want a 1/100 Tornado Blade set of those two idiots having fun. Nope. no way.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm currently too broke to get a polarizing filter at a short notice (and tripods are a no-no), so I'll just wing it. Will post pics here I guess.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there a Spinner Rodi yet?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
There should be.
In fact every suit from IBO gekko should get a shot, specially the Labrys

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Maybe if the weird conversion kit option set sells well we could see their parts in the future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that parts for a kit showing up in an option set has not been an obstacle to the kit itself showing up as a P-Bandai exclusive in the past. Gaelio's Schawlbe Graze, Iok's Reginlaze, and Sandoval's bodyguard Hugos were released as discrete P-Bandai kits in their proper colours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that parts for a kit showing up in an option set has not been an obstacle to the kit itself showing up as a P-Bandai exclusive in the past. Gaelio's Schawlbe Graze, Iok's Reginlaze, and Sandoval's bodyguard Hugos were released as discrete P-Bandai kits in their proper colours.

I'm surprised the Landman Rodi hasn't gotten a kit, because they've been surprisingly prominent throughout the season.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm largely expecting there to be a final upgrade to the Rodi that has the Landman parts inside the kit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So we have some info on the new HG Zeta Gundam coming out, along with what the Evolution Project is:

quote:

"Gundam", which sells more than 459 million cumulative items since July 1980, is rolling out the ROAD TO GUNPLA 40th ANNIVERSARY.

"ROAD TO GUNPLA 40th ANNIVERSARY" aiming the creation of new products for the 40th anniversary release in 2020. Thus, "GUNPLA EVOLUTION PROJECT "was decided.

Gunpla, which was born in 1980, continues to evolve while still doing various trials. At that turning point, we created a product that integrates technologies, and each time we have provided the user with the arrival point and future possibilities.
"GUNPLA EVOLUTION PROJECT" is a project targeting all brands of Gundams, such as HG, MG, RG, PG, for the year 2020, setting "EVOLUTION POINT" for each item. It is planning to propose a trial to the user for further evolution of Gundam from various angles towards the 40th anniversary such as movable [action], ease of assembly [build], better molding color [color].

As the project's first item, "Zeta Gundam" will be released from the standard model "HG series" on 1/144 scale from Saturday, April 22, in countries around the world including Japan. The price is 1,944 yen (tax included).

This item, MS Zeta Gundam that appears in "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam" was produced by the latest design technology and new mold. "EVOLUTION POINT" of this item realizes the posing close to the image in the play in the constraint of adopting the best promotion in each form and the replacement mechanism to replace "Wave Rider" (aircraft type) [action] It was developed as HG specialized for mobility.

As a result, actions in the range of motion that could not be reproduced by the 1/144 scale "Zeta Gundam" so far, including "HGUC Zeta Gundam" released in October 2003, are pursued.

Various posing can be expressed by movable gimmick built in various places!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So I guess thats just a way of saying "we're going to have a rating system of these three qualities for future reissues so you know what you're getting into"?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

EthanSteele posted:

On SRW kit scale talk:

Koto made a 1/144 Daizengar and I want one real bad.

1/144 Huckies are the same size as Gundam stuff. Gespenst based things are between 1/144 and 1/100 and Cybuster at 1/144 is a little bigger than 1/100 Gundams. OG Super robots tend to be ~50m supposedly which means you end up with stuff like the Daizengar there for the Grungusts and stuff.

Ah, so it seems in general OG stuff is just a tad bigger than the proposed counterparts, then. Roughly the same height, but they tend to have a little more going on with wings and shoulder pads and generally wider or otherwise bulkier proportions.

...I want it too regardless. o.o

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That Zeta has better poseability than my PG one. I'm really impressed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

So I guess thats just a way of saying "we're going to have a rating system of these three qualities for future reissues so you know what you're getting into"?

No, it's saying that they're going to be trying to make big improvements in every Grade of Gunpla by the year 2020. Each Gunpla released as part of the GUNPLA EVOLUTION PROJECT will be a trial run of some EVOLUTION POINT that, if successful, will be incorporated into Gunpla in the future. The EVOLUTION POINT in the new Zeta Gundam kit is an attempt at better articulation in a transforming MS.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ah, so it's essentially a promise to put more resources into R&D in the future. That's cool; While I'm a big fan of the IBO line its not an uncommon complaint that theres a lot of frame reuse going on which makes things a little same-y. Not to mention the myriad of problems in the RG Sinanju as a result of trying to jury-rig an existing frame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So basically applying the revive treatment to each grade?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

So basically applying the revive treatment to each grade?

No, the Revive thing was just to make modern HG kits of suits that only had old, dated HG kits. the Revive RX-78-2 didn't have any EVOLUTION POINT, it was just a modern HG.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I have yet to see any love for Unicorn Dom Tropen

His rocket potato mashers own.

I hope we see his Dwadge buddy someday too.

The submarine conning tower head on the Labrys is great.

bij fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 8, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping they release the Unicorn Jagd Doga or a redesigned Zaku III.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, it's saying that they're going to be trying to make big improvements in every Grade of Gunpla by the year 2020. Each Gunpla released as part of the GUNPLA EVOLUTION PROJECT will be a trial run of some EVOLUTION POINT that, if successful, will be incorporated into Gunpla in the future. The EVOLUTION POINT in the new Zeta Gundam kit is an attempt at better articulation in a transforming MS.

Plavsky Particles by 2025.

Also, does anyone have a rundown on all the RX-78 MGs? Is the 3.0 the definitive version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Droyer posted:

I, uh, doubt it

i want the valcazard to join the illustrious "extremely expensive shelf" tier of the neo-zeong