Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh yeah, he really hosed up Rogue One with its billion dollar gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually my understanding is that loving up Rogue One and leading to extensive reshoots where he had to have a babysitter on set killed Legendary's enthusiasm for working with Edwards again, especially given Godzilla's mediocre reception.

My understanding is also that the reshoots rumour was bullshit

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Improbable Lobster posted:

My understanding is also that the reshoots rumour was bullshit

Eh, there's lots of stuff in the promotional material that simply doesn't happen in the film. Pretty sure while the general plot is the same, there were some serious kajiggerings of things late in production.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Eh, there's lots of stuff in the promotional material that simply doesn't happen in the film. Pretty sure while the general plot is the same, there were some serious kajiggerings of things late in production.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-trailer-shot-deleted-scene/

quote:

“It was just a way for the crew of understanding, for now, we’re just going to do loads of random poo poo. Don’t try to ask, we can’t explain. It would just be things I thought were a beautiful moment or ‘This is a great idea’ and a lot of the stuff in the trailer ended up through that process.”

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Reading that article reaffirms that fans in general are complaining babies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Rogue One is at least as good a genre film as Shin.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh yeah, he really hosed up Rogue One with its billion dollar gross.
You're being willfully dense. The claimed fuckup was something that was corrected before release hence the "re-shoots". Though I haven't heard any credible rumors of re-shoots it's better form to just tell him the re-shoots didn't happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Are reshoots not a relatively common thing to happen in film, though?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Are reshoots not a relatively common thing to happen in film, though?

It's a matter of the extent of the reshoots and there were a lot of rumours of big reshoots for Rogue One, though none of them were substantiated or confirmed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Rogue One is at least as good a genre film as Shin.

but i actually want to see shin godzilla again

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

It's a matter of the extent of the reshoots and there were a lot of rumours of big reshoots for Rogue One, though none of them were substantiated or confirmed.

That's because rumors are by their very nature hyperbolic hearsay running around an industry which is notoriously self-conscious. It turns out there were extensive 're-shoots,' but that it doesn't matter because the film is really good.

Similarly, Anno may have been kind of an rear end in a top hat in dictating his vision, but it doesn't matter because he was right. Those found-footage shots and pick-ups weren't gonna shoot themselves - good filmmaking is a matter of developing a vision, not 'managing' a production.

Stairmaster posted:

but i actually want to see shin godzilla again

Right, but that doesn't mean Rogue One isn't as good. Because it is. The movies even make happy, international bedfellows, commenting upon the 'degradation' of political metaphor through nationally revered franchises.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

K. Waste posted:

Right, but that doesn't mean Rogue One isn't as good. Because it is. The movies even make happy, international bedfellows, commenting upon the 'degradation' of political metaphor through nationally revered franchises.

Rogue One was fun to watch but I wouldn't put it anywhere close to Shin Godzilla.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

K. Waste posted:

That's because rumors are by their very nature hyperbolic hearsay running around an industry which is notoriously self-conscious. It turns out there were extensive 're-shoots,' but that it doesn't matter because the film is really good.

Except it kinda does matter. If the re-shoots are major enough that it's primarily the editor and producers efforts making the film good, what's the point in the director. If they need to be babied they're bad at their job. Now as far as I know this isn't the case here but it has been the case in a lot of other productions where a director is given too much slack.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Except it kinda does matter. If the re-shoots are major enough that it's primarily the editor and producers efforts making the film good, what's the point in the director. If they need to be babied they're bad at their job. Now as far as I know this isn't the case here but it has been the case in a lot of other productions where a director is given too much slack.

What productions are these, and how is this relevant to the basic assertion I'm making - which is that it doesn't matter if there were re-shoots as long as the film is good? I never said the director needed to have final cut in order for a film to be good. We are not debating fantasy scenarios of whether Edwards "hosed up" Rogue One or he was the lone savior of Rogue One. The former is demonstrably untrue, and the latter is irrelevant.

MancXVI posted:

Rogue One was fun to watch but I wouldn't put it anywhere close to Shin Godzilla.

I would, because there isn't a single category of formal accomplishment that either film doesn't do as well as the other. Again, they are even remarkably similar.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think Shin Godzilla could take Darth Vader in a fight. Maybe.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

What productions are these, and how is this relevant to the basic assertion I'm making - which is that it doesn't matter if there were re-shoots as long as the film is good? I never said the director needed to have final cut in order for a film to be good. We are not debating fantasy scenarios of whether Edwards "hosed up" Rogue One or he was the lone savior of Rogue One. The former is demonstrably untrue, and the latter is irrelevant.

I would, because there isn't a single category of formal accomplishment that either film doesn't do as well as the other. Again, they are even remarkably similar.

The whole conversation arose because I posted that Edwards had supposedly decided to stop doing big budget films after working with Disney and Toho/Legendary on Rogue One and Godzilla respectively. Then another poster claimed that Edwards had hosed up and had to be handheld throughout Godzilla and had to have most of Rogue One reshot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The whole conversation arose because I posted that Edwards had supposedly decided to stop doing big budget films after working with Disney and Toho/Legendary on Rogue One and Godzilla respectively. Then another poster claimed that Edwards had hosed up and had to be handheld throughout Godzilla and had to have most of Rogue One reshot.

Fair enough, and I'm sorry for contributing to a derail, I just think it's important to emphasize that the simplest rationale for why Edwards' isn't accepting any new blockbuster contracts at the moment is because he personally doesn't want to, not because either he nor the companies producing/distributing his films had a 'bad experience.'

To keep the discussion relevant to Godzilla/international kaiju cinema, I think Edwards made a very good Godzilla film, but I'm not familiar enough with Michael Dougherty's work to know what he's personally bringing to the table for King of the Monsters. Same with Vogt-Roberts. Skull Island looks pretty decent so far. Neither of them seems to develop or shoot films that are similar to Edwards' at all (more horror comedy and bildungsroman), so we can at least rest assured that we'll be seeing fresh perspectives come out of it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Then another poster claimed that Edwards had hosed up and had to be handheld throughout Godzilla and had to have most of Rogue One reshot.

I think the poster actually meant that Edward's reshoots on Star Wars soured Legendary on wanting to bring him back for Godzilla 2. I've never heard of any production problems on Godzilla '14 and everything I've read has been positive from everybody involved.

I'm starting to notice this steady undercurrent where for some reason Edwards is turning into a weird divisive figure like Zach Synder is among a certain segment of film nerds.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edwards said he's spent the last several years doing two big, special effects laden films, and he's burnt out right now, and that for his next film he wants to do something smaller. That's it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

I'm starting to notice this steady undercurrent where for some reason Edwards is turning into a weird divisive figure like Zach Synder is among a certain segment of film nerds.

Edwards got the gig on Godzilla based on the modest success of one low-budget film that really wasn't very well known, and then Godzilla turned out to be a very divisive film. Rogue One was well received, but not such a unanimous hit that its going to shut people up who were already saying that he's an overrated director who's out of his league.

I'm not saying I agree with any of that but I can see where its coming from. I don't think Edward's reputation as a filmmaker is really set in stone yet, his next few films will really be what decides that, they'll determine whether he ends up as a footnote director or someone pay attention to for the next decade+

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 24, 2017

Violator
May 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Edwards got the gig on Godzilla based on the modest success of one low-budget film that really wasn't very well known, and then Godzilla turned out to be a very divisive film. Rogue One was well received, but not such a unanimous hit that its going to shut people up who were already saying that he's an overrated director who's out of his league.

I'm not saying I agree with any of that but I can see where its coming from. I don't think Edward's reputation as a filmmaker is really set in stone yet, his next few films will really be what decides that, they'll determine whether he ends up as a footnote director or someone pay attention to for the next decade+

Ah, good point. M. Night looked to have a super strong and potentially iconic career with his first few films, but that petered out after a while. I have hopes for Edwards and have been a fan of all of his films, but like you said we'll have to see how things go.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I thought Edwards dropped out of Godzilla 2 because he was still too busy with Rogue One to handle the early work on it.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think Shin Godzilla could take Darth Vader in a fight. Maybe.

I think the real question is Shin Godzilla v. Star Destroyer.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

disjoe posted:

:reject::"Well, if you read the Ships and Vehicles of Star Wars coloring book you'll see that a Star Destroyer can vaporize a planet's crust in 30 minutes."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThingOne posted:

:reject::"Well, if you read the Ships and Vehicles of Star Wars coloring book you'll see that a Star Destroyer can vaporize a planet's crust in 30 minutes."

Ah but if you did your research *loud snorting* you will see that Godzilla has a history of surviving black holes and blowing up planetoids.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Godzilla is the repercussions of imperialism made flesh. You could pit the entire Imperial Fleet and both Death Stars against him and he'd still win, and probably walk out of it more dangerous than when he started.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Godzilla is like a 350-foot tall Jedi. He can wreck Empire poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
What if Godzilla was stomping on top of a Super Star Destroy like he does in cities

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I want to see the Death Star shoot a planet with Godzilla on it and Godzilla uses his fire breath to fly backwards to the Death Star and beats the poo poo out of it

Am I King Shitlord yet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But the Empire has made Darthgodzilla, which is just Mechagodzilla in Darth Vader's armor.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Godzilla is the repercussions of imperialism made flesh. You could pit the entire Imperial Fleet and both Death Stars against him and he'd still win, and probably walk out of it more dangerous than when he started.

Look at you letting storytelling get in the way of nerd dickwaving :rolleyes:. Now here's my 20 page dissertation on the physics of a turbolaser.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ThingOne posted:

Look at you letting storytelling get in the way of nerd dickwaving :rolleyes:. Now here's my 20 page dissertation on the physics of a turbolaser.

Oh, no, don't misunderstand. This is still nerd dickwaving, I'm just telling you to get on my level.

Besides, Godzilla feeding on WMDs and powering up isn't exactly new territory.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's likely that not only would Godzilla destroy those Death Stars, but that a monster would be born of that destruction, come to earth, and then be subsequently defeated there by Godzilla.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

But the Empire has made Darthgodzilla, which is just Mechagodzilla in Darth Vader's armor.

If they use the Kiryu Mechagodzilla it will also be Godzilla's father.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Godzilla vs a Godzilla-sized Rancor.

Godzilla vs a Sarlaac.

Discuss.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

thats not how star wars works you gently caress!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stairmaster posted:

thats not how star wars works you gently caress!!!

-Han Solo, The Force Awakens.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ancient weapons and hokey bureacracy are no match for a 389 foot lizard who breathes nuclear apocalypse at your side, kid

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

disjoe posted:

G wins, clearly. But a Star Destoroyah, on the other hand ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Wizchine posted:

Godzilla is like a 350-foot tall Jedi. He can wreck Empire poo poo.

I can guarantee his Godzillachlorian count is off the charts.