Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would love this. Let's all do it!

Would setting up a Google Drive folder work? I don't know much about hosting services we could use but Drive seems like it would be easy enough. I have a pluck patch I could start us off with :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MrSargent posted:

Would setting up a Google Drive folder work? I don't know much about hosting services we could use but Drive seems like it would be easy enough. I have a pluck patch I could start us off with :toot:

Works for me, and I think it would work for everyone else, too. Yaaaay! :toot:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Ok well I will take a stab at getting this started. I have set up a folder on google drive for our Serum Patches. Link is below. I have added a patch under the "Plucks" folder.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9r7pGkLQPy4NTE5YXFVYnFadEU

Description
I created a pluck sound for one of the tracks I am working on that is reminiscent of a deadmau5 style pluck. The details of the patch are below.

Oscillator A
Shape: Default Saw Wave
Unison: 8
Detune: .03
Blend: 68

Oscillator B
Shape: Basic Square (Under Analog Basic Shapes)
Octave: +1
Unison: 8
Detune: .02
Blend: 68

Filter
Type: MG Low24
Oscillators: A & B
Cutoff: Automated - Routed to Envelope 2

Envelope 1
Shape: Curve down from peak level to bottom out at 1s

Envelope 1
Shape: Curve down from peak level to bottom out at 1s

FX
Delay
Reverb

Macros
Macro 1: Delay Mix
Macro 2: Reverb Mix

With this patch, I wanted a sharp pluck with some delay to fill it out for a lead part after the drop. I created the macros so I could easily automate the delay and reverb effects as needed. I thought the square wave really helped balance out the saw without sounding too video gamey. I know this is a very simple patch but I am pretty new to Serum as well and wanted to get things rolling. Would appreciate any feedback and let me know if the link works. I could also create a new thread for this but we have so many drat production threads as it is with low enough traffic.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stop giving me more reason to buy this thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Ok well I will take a stab at getting this started. I have set up a folder on google drive for our Serum Patches. Link is below. I have added a patch under the "Plucks" folder.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9r7pGkLQPy4NTE5YXFVYnFadEU

Sharing patches would be fun, but I don't have permission to add anything to the Drive (also I have no idea how Google Drive even works :v:)

My patches are often kinda lazy though, they do what they're supposed to do and I rarely make use of macros and stuff since I'm so used to just automating everything in Bitwig. Still, sharing is fun!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Sharing patches would be fun, but I don't have permission to add anything to the Drive (also I have no idea how Google Drive even works :v:)

My patches are often kinda lazy though, they do what they're supposed to do and I rarely make use of macros and stuff since I'm so used to just automating everything in Bitwig. Still, sharing is fun!

Hmm I thought I enabled editing for anyone with the link. I'll check tomorrow.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ok I think I fixed the link now to allow edits. I thought I had changed it from read-only to edit but it didn't save the setting. Would love some feedback and someone to volunteer for the next patch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It works! I added two patches, one string sound (good for low-mid space-y chords) and one weird drone-ish thing that I'm not sure how I'd describe. Just hold down C1 for that one (higher/lower notes will probably sound bad).

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Awesome, can't wait to check them out when I get home. I was working on a cool pad sound last night that I think I'll upload as well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Your Computer posted:

It works! I added two patches, one string sound (good for low-mid space-y chords) and one weird drone-ish thing that I'm not sure how I'd describe. Just hold down C1 for that one (higher/lower notes will probably sound bad).

Both of your patches are awesome and quite a bit more involved than mine, haha. How do you create your wavetables? I am finding I suck at editing them within Serum but maybe I just don't know the shortcuts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Both of your patches are awesome and quite a bit more involved than mine, haha. How do you create your wavetables? I am finding I suck at editing them within Serum but maybe I just don't know the shortcuts.

Thanks! The wavetables are just ones that come with the synth (if that's what you mean) and all I've really done is throw modulation onto it until it sounds cool to me :v: One of the neatest things about wavetables is modulating them (WTPos) to get some variation in the sound; excellent for weird and droning noises or just to bring some life into an otherwise static sound. I'm also a huge fan of using an LFO or sequencer to jump around in a complex wavetable, something you can't emulate easily with more basic synths.

One thing I kinda miss in Serum is having a dedicated noise synth. Yes, I know the Noise Oscillator can do noise (as well as any play any other sample, which makes it amazing and cool) but I've already found myself wanting to use the Noise Oscillator for a transient in addition to having noise. I just wish I could turn Osc 2 into a white/pink noise generator, then I'd be 100% happy with Serum.

Speaking of the noise osc, does anyone know if presets keep their custom noise osc sample? If I make a sound using, I dunno, a custom piano sample and then save the preset and upload it, will the piano sample get baked into the preset so other people can hear it if they download it?

e: I added another preset, this one uses both a custom wavetable and a custom noise osc so tell me if it works! I wasn't sure what to classify it as, but I put it in 'plucks'.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 8, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not buying them because I already own them, but if any of you want some really, really nice solo strings for Kontakt (violin, viola, cello, and bass), the Embertone intimate strings bundle is going for $200 instead of the regular $500 here:

https://audioplugin.deals/?utm_source=LTO_6&utm_campaign=2Weeks_Left&utm_medium=email

They are seriously, seriously nice instruments.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I want to step up my MIDI game, but I don't know the best way to go.

My current kit:

-Thinkpad T430, i5-3210@2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM
-Presonus Audiobox 2 (USB)
-Cubase 5
-Yamaha P-105 digital piano

This is functional, but I'm still wrestling with latency issues (maybe due to the P-105 USB MIDI driver?) and I've only BARELY scratched the surface working with free VSTs.

My wants from MIDI production:

-I'm a super hobbyist. No pro work expected from this. And probably nothing live for years to come, mostly composin' at home.
-Probably a dedicated controller, a little 25-key would be nice for portability (and price), but of course I'm afraid of wanting to get crazy with two hands down the road.
-Biggest diversity of instrument replication possible. Especially wind instruments, percussion, and pianos/keys, though I'll take guitars and various ethnic stuff too.
-Synthesis is an interest of mine but not a priority.
-Postproduction tools, I'm SURE they do lots of neat/useful things I don't understand, but since I do not understand them, I have a hard time knowing which of them I'm after and which ones to prioritize owning.

Where I'm leaning:

Dropping the big cash on Komplete 11 Ultimate. Ultimate is the only bundle that appears to have Kontakt and Session Horns Pro which APPEAR to satisfy my cravings for instrumental variety. Steep price tag, but for the heinous array of tools it offers, it seems like a pretty drat fair price. Not to mention Ultimate seems to include a number of synth/postproduction tools that I'll be very happy to have down the road when I get around to exploring those avenues. I don't want to pay $500 for Session Horns Pro only to pay $500 for something else a couple years later and have only 1/10 of the Ultimate bundle for almost the same price. If I'm about to drop over $1000 seems like I should just get the fattest bundle available.

On top of which, the Komplete Kontrol controller has the insanely sexy looking seamless interface with all NI's plugins. I very much like the idea of running the whole show from the board itself.

BUT maybe there's a better, more affordable combo of VSTs/MIDI controller out there that better suits my needs? I don't really know where to shop around for this other than endless googling. The local Guitar Center demo computer never seems to be loving working. Any advice appreciated.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don't think there's any real competition for Komplete (or Ultimate). Crazy value for money, and just such a huge amount of stuff that I've been working in Komplete Ultimate for 6 or 7 years now and haven't explored everything it can do. However, I would do a bit of googling to see how long it's been since K11 was released; they frequently have half price sales, and we might be due soon.

As for the Kontrol keyboards, I find them very appealing too. I've heard that there are mixed reports on the build quality, though.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 9, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

the numa numa song posted:

I want to step up my MIDI game, but I don't know the best way to go.

My current kit:

-Thinkpad T430, i5-3210@2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM
-Presonus Audiobox 2 (USB)
-Cubase 5
-Yamaha P-105 digital piano

This is functional, but I'm still wrestling with latency issues (maybe due to the P-105 USB MIDI driver?) and I've only BARELY scratched the surface working with free VSTs.

My wants from MIDI production:

-I'm a super hobbyist. No pro work expected from this. And probably nothing live for years to come, mostly composin' at home.
-Probably a dedicated controller, a little 25-key would be nice for portability (and price), but of course I'm afraid of wanting to get crazy with two hands down the road.
-Biggest diversity of instrument replication possible. Especially wind instruments, percussion, and pianos/keys, though I'll take guitars and various ethnic stuff too.
-Synthesis is an interest of mine but not a priority.
-Postproduction tools, I'm SURE they do lots of neat/useful things I don't understand, but since I do not understand them, I have a hard time knowing which of them I'm after and which ones to prioritize owning.

Where I'm leaning:

Dropping the big cash on Komplete 11 Ultimate. Ultimate is the only bundle that appears to have Kontakt and Session Horns Pro which APPEAR to satisfy my cravings for instrumental variety. Steep price tag, but for the heinous array of tools it offers, it seems like a pretty drat fair price. Not to mention Ultimate seems to include a number of synth/postproduction tools that I'll be very happy to have down the road when I get around to exploring those avenues. I don't want to pay $500 for Session Horns Pro only to pay $500 for something else a couple years later and have only 1/10 of the Ultimate bundle for almost the same price. If I'm about to drop over $1000 seems like I should just get the fattest bundle available.

On top of which, the Komplete Kontrol controller has the insanely sexy looking seamless interface with all NI's plugins. I very much like the idea of running the whole show from the board itself.

BUT maybe there's a better, more affordable combo of VSTs/MIDI controller out there that better suits my needs? I don't really know where to shop around for this other than endless googling. The local Guitar Center demo computer never seems to be loving working. Any advice appreciated.

Well, I get by just fine with an M-Audio Keystation 61e, but one of my favourite pieces of gear is the Kork Padkontrol. Jesus christ, if you're going to be doing ANY work with percussion, get one of these. Some people might recommend the Trigger Finger, but I chose the Padkontrol for its XY pad.

My only gripe with my setup, in terms of gear, is that I wish I had more knobs and faders to use. A lot of my 'live' MIDI recording doesn't involve many parameter changes, so I just do a lot of that stuff after the fact, instead of twisting various knobs while performing.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Trig Discipline posted:

However, I would do a bit of googling to see how long it's been since K11 was released; they frequently have half price sales, and we might be due soon.

K11 release was September 1, 2016, apparently. What do you suppose the odds are that K12 will be subscription based? Probably wouldn't be any deals on 11 if that happens...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, was it that recent? Not going to be a sale for at least a year then, most likely.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Don't know what version of Cubase 5 you have but Cubase Artist 9 has an array of cool synths with it, I am growing to love Padshop (assuming you are on a 64bit os).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know if it's heresy or standard practice for you goons here to not know your synths inside and out, but I really don't. I absolutely understand synthesis, sampling, things like that, though I don't have a lot of experience with wave table synths.

Therefore, I'm making a special effort to 1000% know Serum. I wanna be that guy who can hear a sound and within a very short period of time, be able to replicate it at 95-100% with just it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't know if it's heresy or standard practice for you goons here to not know your synths inside and out, but I really don't. I absolutely understand synthesis, sampling, things like that, though I don't have a lot of experience with wave table synths.

Therefore, I'm making a special effort to 1000% know Serum. I wanna be that guy who can hear a sound and within a very short period of time, be able to replicate it at 95-100% with just it.

I have too many synths to know them all inside and out (particularly the Arturia V Collection synths are more of a "I want that kinda sound" thing for me) but I've spent a ton of time with u-he Bazille and I can definitely say it feels great to understand a synth.

I'm also trying to use Serum for everything right now and soak up every tutorial, tip and trick I can find because wavetable synths are rad and with all the modulation opportunities, built in mini-sampler and great (modulatable) built in effects it really seems like the kind of synth that can do any sound if you get good at it. Understanding and replicating sounds is a lot of fun and everyone who wants to get good at synths should try it, and I think Serum might be one of the best synths for this :3:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

You should join YourComputer and I by posting a Serum patch or checking out ours on the google drive link I posted. I'm probably going to create a Serum thread so more people can have easy access to the link.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrSargent posted:

You should join YourComputer and I by posting a Serum patch or checking out ours on the google drive link I posted. I'm probably going to create a Serum thread so more people can have easy access to the link.

I'll be definitely getting in on this once I finish up a bunch of MIDI work I need to get done. I've already added the google drive folder to my google drive, to check it out next time I'm looking for patches. But yes, please start a thread! Serum University!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dammit you guys are making want to buy Serum. I've been looking for something that can do weirdass pads for my Berlin School-type stuff and this may be it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I nearly bought it but the GUI is a little too fuzzy for comfort on my screen. When the re-sizeable version comes out I'll definitely take another look.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Stupid aside, why is it "and I" and not "and me"?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

wayfinder posted:

Actually, it should be "mine"...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

wayfinder posted:

It should be "... And me."

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
It's a grammar joke based on his username. :eng101:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Dammit you guys are making want to buy Serum. I've been looking for something that can do weirdass pads for my Berlin School-type stuff and this may be it.

"Weirdass" is one thing that Serum really excels at :v:

My top list of features in Serum right now:
  • Wavetables! In addition to being able to meticulously handcraft your own and importing existing wavetables, you can also convert samples and even images to wavetables by drag&drop if you wanna get crazy
  • The warp modes! In addition to good ol' FM, AM, Sync and PWM you get a ton of different ways to pinch, shift, slide and mangle your waveforms (including making your own waveshape functions)
  • The noise oscillator! It's a tiny sampler! It doesn't have that many options (starting position/"phase", oneshot/loop, etc.) but it makes a lot of sounds possible that would otherwise be impossible
  • The LFOs! They can function as LFOs (duh) ranging from 0.001Hz to 100Hz, but also as drawable envelopes (with optional looping) and step sequencers.
  • Rendering and resampling! You can render/bake any warping, modulation or even a sample into a wavetable. For example, if I want more waveshaping but already got FM from osc B to A, I can bake the FM into the wavetable and then apply a new warp mode!
  • More filter modes than you could ever need, from basic moog-style filters to all kinds of multimode filters, formant filters and "experimental" ones like the Reverb, Sample and Hold and Ring Mod modes.
  • Flexible modulation! It's not modular, but at least you can modulate pretty much anything (including the great FX) using the LFOs/sequencers, envelopes, randomness generators, etc.
Needless to say, if you want weird sounds you've got options.

You can even make some oldschool rompler sounds with it! Here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/serumsampling
I took a short "ooh" sample, resampled it to a wavetable and then added the same sample into the noise oscillator. Noise osc provides the transient, wavetable provides the looping part :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

:eng99:

Totally missed that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spent 5 minutes looking at my post trying to figure out why I suck before I saw this.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've been using Amplitube 4 since last year when they did the "Power Duo" sale thing and I could get it pretty cheap with the MESA/Boogie pack. It's kept me really happy with my higher gain sounds - I've always been a sucker for the Mark III and Mark IV especially. But it's hard to stay up to date for long, hah. They just came out with a new pack of Fender amps, and drat it I'm a sucker for tweed. I wonder if Tindeck's bbcode still works here? Worth a shot I guess, here's a clip demoing the '65 Super Reverb (... which is totally not a tweed, only BF in the new collection).

I got a few more things I want to pick up still, waiting on a credit sale or somethin'. Amplitube got more expensive over the years, but it sounds fantastic and I find it real easy to work with. Plus they read my mind:

Agreed posted:

At this point I want to see them go back and revamp Amplitube Fender. The Fender amps sound good still and they are still dynamic and all that, but IKMM've gotten better since then.

Feel factor for Fender Pack 2 is at least "current gen" quality; it was pretty good for the time period w/ Amplitube Fender but it's been nearly a decade :o:

Going to record more clips of this pack, doing a whole thing on my blog since AT:Fender was big for it back when :) '57 Twin up next I reckon. Sounds awesome w/ a fuzz in front (or not, I mean, it's raunchy if you crank it).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 11, 2017

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

"Weirdass" is one thing that Serum really excels at :v:

My top list of features in Serum right now:

Needless to say, if you want weird sounds you've got options.

You can even make some oldschool rompler sounds with it! Here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/serumsampling
I took a short "ooh" sample, resampled it to a wavetable and then added the same sample into the noise oscillator. Noise osc provides the transient, wavetable provides the looping part :v:

I bought it after watching all them Steve Duda vids and within an hour brought in a sample of my 0-Coast doing weird wavefolding stuff, and turned it into a nice thin pad. Good times.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

I bought it after watching all them Steve Duda vids and within an hour brought in a sample of my 0-Coast doing weird wavefolding stuff, and turned it into a nice thin pad. Good times.

The Serum University thread is up! Come contribute some crazy patches to our google drive folder and talk about making digital fart noises.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809652

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
After spending the last few days loving with buffer sizes and sample rates all over Cubase and Reaper, I couldn't break 11ms latency and was worried I would never be able to monitor and record MIDI in sweet, delicious real time. So I updated the driver on my Audiobox (I bought it in 2013, whoops), and it came with a brand new Universal Controller program with a big idiot friendly dropbox option for latency settings. For a laugh I chose "Minimum Latency" and Reaper immediately showed me 2.8ms. I drat near wept as I played my first legit note of synthesized MIDI and felt the insant response I was craving. My burly tank of a digital piano flies like a beautiful bird in the skies of robot farts.

Just in time for my Komplete Kontrol S25 + Komplete 11 Select to arrive Thursday. No horns or Kontakt for now, but I'm itching to try the Gentleman piano, Drumlab, the organ collection, and probably some synth bullshit. (What's good synths in the 11 Select mix? Massive? I hear the kids talk about Massive.) Those should keep me plenty busy until NI comes around and slaughters the price of K11 Ultimate. Right?

Also, the Komplete plugins on Minimum Latency surely won't explode my apartment. Right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

11ms isn't even bad to begin with. drat, son.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Flipperwaldt posted:

11ms isn't even bad to begin with. drat, son.

Well I'm still very new to this. I was spoiled in thinking I wasn't even going to encounter latency.

If I hadn't lucked out on the driver update, I imagine I'd have adapted to 11ms.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't have noticed. Anything <25ms is more or less fine with me. The fact that you immediately think "this is so bad something mustn't be right" means you're really sensitive to it. Might turn out to be quite the curse!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
There's a pea under my mattress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Just in time for my Komplete Kontrol S25 + Komplete 11 Select to arrive Thursday. No horns or Kontakt for now, but I'm itching to try the Gentleman piano, Drumlab, the organ collection, and probably some synth bullshit. (What's good synths in the 11 Select mix? Massive? I hear the kids talk about Massive.) Those should keep me plenty busy until NI comes around and slaughters the price of K11 Ultimate. Right?

Massive and Monark are both pretty great.