Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
After MJ the mvp of this season is clearly chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Zythrst posted:

After MJ the mvp of this season is clearly chickens.

Seriously. Maybe it's because I grew up in a rural town, but like... they're just goddamn chickens. Rulers of the earth millennia ago, sure, but now they're just harmless and stupid creatures. Culture thing, maybe? Hm.

On the actual episode front... Haesung!!! I can't stand him. You're only still here out of pity! Worse than Insun, because at least she's nice to everyone! Bah. BAH. Kyun is smarter, nicer, tries harder, helps out with chores, and has a lovely wife at home he needs to support with prize money!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The chicken shenanigans never get old.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I wish they were still doing The Genius alongside this so Haesung and Kyungryul could settle their score once and for all.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Maduo posted:

I wish they were still doing The Genius alongside this so Haesung and Kyungryul could settle their score once and for all.

Haesung would get absolutely rocked on The Genius and it would be hilarious.

Honestly Kyungryul might not last very long either because he's seemingly terrible at social play, but Haesung is basically Hweejong without the nice clothes or CV.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Chainsawdomy posted:

Haesung would get absolutely rocked on The Genius and it would be hilarious.

Honestly Kyungryul might not last very long either because he's seemingly terrible at social play, but Haesung is basically Hweejong without the nice clothes or CV.

I rather liked Hweejong in his second run.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I dunno, I could se Kyungryul fitting in better with The Genius and its crowd. I like Society Game a lot, but this cast on The Genius would make season 2 look like season 3.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, I dunno either, Kyungryul is the guy having trouble securing the mental player spot on his team despite being the best one by a mile, he'd get drubbed trying to work the social side of games. Then again, dude is dealing with Donghwan, the most defensive meathead ever, so that doesn't help when stating your case.

Everything's kinda going how I thought it would go from last week. Since games have been biased towards physicality and the intelectual side usually comes down to "who's more poo poo", as Asol realized today, the leftover big guys were kind of a given since the Asol trade. Everyone else was kinda fighting for the one "mental" spot, which MJ cinched (knowingly or not) by eliminating Jiwon. If the other side had gotten rid of Haesung they'd be peaceful but alas.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Dias posted:

Eh, I dunno either, Kyungryul is the guy having trouble securing the mental player spot on his team despite being the best one by a mile, he'd get drubbed trying to work the social side of games. Then again, dude is dealing with Donghwan, the most defensive meathead ever, so that doesn't help when stating your case.

Everything's kinda going how I thought it would go from last week. Since games have been biased towards physicality and the intelectual side usually comes down to "who's more poo poo", as Asol realized today, the leftover big guys were kind of a given since the Asol trade. Everyone else was kinda fighting for the one "mental" spot, which MJ cinched (knowingly or not) by eliminating Jiwon. If the other side had gotten rid of Haesung they'd be peaceful but alas.

Byungkwan is who you mean Donghwan was a chill dude who just kept trying to McGyver inventions for Nopdong.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Honestly, at this point I can see this going two ways, depending on the pick in Madong.

Madong is not going to pick Insun, obviously.

It's the Haesung Kyungryul pick. Any other bit of constellation doesn't really matter, both sides have strong dex players and strong phys players, but MJ is "only" a decent mental player. She would grind Haesung to dust the moment any pressure came on him, but I don't see her beating Kyungryul. I'm not sure I've ever seen Kyungryul show any weakness in a mental game in Society Game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Exercu posted:

Honestly, at this point I can see this going two ways, depending on the pick in Madong.

Madong is not going to pick Insun, obviously.

It's the Haesung Kyungryul pick. Any other bit of constellation doesn't really matter, both sides have strong dex players and strong phys players, but MJ is "only" a decent mental player. She would grind Haesung to dust the moment any pressure came on him, but I don't see her beating Kyungryul. I'm not sure I've ever seen Kyungryul show any weakness in a mental game in Society Game.

Not quite sure why you're spoilering speculation. :raise:

Also yes. The best physical player and mental player are both in Maedong. As the last few games have proven neither Asol, Pharaoh nor MJ can keep up with Mr Meathead when it comes to sheer endurance or strength. If Mr Meathead wasn't so infuriatingly infatuated with the idea of keeping Haesung Maedong would have stellar odds of winning the final games since speed in finishing is all that matters.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Also yes. The best physical player and mental player are both in Maedong. As the last few games have proven neither Asol, Pharaoh nor MJ can keep up with Mr Meathead when it comes to sheer endurance or strength. If Mr Meathead wasn't so infuriatingly infatuated with the idea of keeping Haesung Maedong would have stellar odds of winning the final games since speed in finishing is all that matters.

I'm not so sure we know that ball throwing and dice stacking are involved, and I think Nopdong has better at both.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Those would fall under dexterity though and that one I think is pretty much up in the air. Since the first to win 2/3 wins it could end up not mattering depending on how difficult the challenge is.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zythrst posted:

Byungkwan is who you mean Donghwan was a chill dude who just kept trying to McGyver inventions for Nopdong.

Yeah, that dude. Still bad with Korean names.

Dexterity is kinda even leaning towards Nopdong, Physical is the same but towards Madong (although it there's a lot of resistance stuff, I think Asol/Pharoh can outlast Meathead and Injik), Mental is the one place where Madong could have a definitive edge with Kyungryul. Haesung is probably a better mental player than MJ but he goes on tilt super fast.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did you forget about Meathead having to run like his life depended on it after Haesung dropped the ball in the running challenge? For all his faults the man has an incredible stamina and determination.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Not so much spoilering speculation as spoiling things that would reveal the situation at the end of e11 to people who hadn't seen it, though I guess it doesn't really matter because anyone who has read this deep into the thread should have watched the episode anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MiddleOne posted:

Did you forget about Meathead having to run like his life depended on it after Haesung dropped the ball in the running challenge? For all his faults the man has an incredible stamina and determination.

Oh, Buff McStrongman can beat any of the three on a single contest, but he's still one dude. Injik can hold his own, but push comes to shove everyone on Nopdong's side can do physical so they would have an edge over a larger number of games. Especially since Beef Stonedude has proven he will kill himself to win.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think I love you.

Either way it's bound to be exciting. :allears:

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

If Haesung makes it instead of Kyungryul, I'm going to be upset.

If Haesung does end up being in the top three, then I hope Madong loses because of Haesung.

Chicken shenanigans continue to be funny.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And even then! The way Kyungryul handled the chickens for both teams was metal :black101:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I hope nopdong wins.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I hope nopdong wins.

I don't know who would be a Maedong fan at this point. I will say this I think I understand North Korea much better after this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zythrst posted:

I don't know who would be a Maedong fan at this point. I will say this I think I understand North Korea much better after this.

Don't you want Kyungryul's wife to be happy you monster?! :negative:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

If somehow the final three became Poultry Bane, Auntie Hwang, and I guess Injik I could be okay with them, but not gonna happen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I still dream of a Dinosaur Hunter Kjungryul, Injik and Samson Madong final 3.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

MiddleOne posted:

Her Aegyo switch is still amazing

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Episode 12 is up! https://openload.co/embed/EuFnAdRbk5w

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha oh thank god Haesung got the boot. It was kinda tough to watch Kyungryul unceremoniously murder MJ in that last game though

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

just started the episode and loving FINALLY HAESUNG IS loving GONE JESUS THE LAST EP THEY HAD MONTAGES OF HIM BEING COMPLETELY INFERIOR TO KYUNGRUL WHOSE WIFE HAS A GREAT BODY TOO

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Finale: I thought that last game was kinda bullshit. To have the entire series be placed on the shoulders of a single player like that, where there wasn't really any well-defined point of failure - it's just "keep running until you can't run anymore". I realise that's the point of most of the physical components, and I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like it, but for me it seemed a bit more wishy-washy compared to, say, getting a question wrong or missing a ring toss for example.

If the teams had been more evenly skill balanced (Nopdong, what the gently caress were you thinking? Three physical players!?) and the two physical players were progressing more evenly, I could imagine them both being maxed out on the treadmills and pushing themselves to the point of serious injury.

That game would have been a better 2nd-or-1st round game, but for obvious reasons had to be played last. I wish the final game had been the sand-filling game - each player was able to contribute right up until the final moment (if you ignore the mental player being blindfolded for the first portion of the game).

It's a real shame MJ wasn't on the winning team, but while she played most of the series incredibly well, the unanimous choice of that team to get rid of their last mental player in Hanbyul (regardless of what you think of him) was a loving dumb idea. I honestly can't believe Macho stuck around as long as he did.

Overall, a good series, and I'd watch another, but that last 20 minutes kinda shat the bed a bit for me.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

I think you're underestimating MJ as a mental player. She beat Kyungryul on one game in the three game series, lost before she even really got to see the puzzle in another, and was pretty much as out of her league on the third one as anyone else would have been.

Sahyuk got stomped by Kyungryul several episodes back, Hanbyul got stomped in the multiplication game even more episodes back.

The episode essentially came down to the Madong pick. Do they pick Haesung or Kyungryul. As I said a few days ago, I don't see MJ beating Kyungryul - but that goes for anyone. I also don't see Sahyuk, Hanbyul, or basically anyone else, beating Kyungryul as a mental player.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Good finale overall.

Madong's victory came all the way down to the fact that they had, and kept, the strongest mental player by far. Doesn't really buckle under pressure, is fast and has reliable answers. I was still rooting for Nopdong but it was nice to see Kyungrul's persistence and ability pay off. Actually I would say some combination of the three carried most of the season for me, as I was much more invested in the show when they were on screen than when they weren't.

Also, I like how they linked the second finale game answer to the ending of the show. SOCIETY = PEOPLE. Neat touch.

EDIT: The first word in the spoiler should be Madong instead of Nopdong and has been fixed and I don't know how I got what I meant so opposite but you get the idea.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 12, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Artelier posted:

Good finale overall.

Nopdong's victory came all the way down to the fact that they had, and kept, the strongest mental player by far. Doesn't really buckle under pressure, is fast and has reliable answers. I was still rooting for Nopdong but it was nice to see Kyungrul's persistence and ability pay off. Actually I would say some combination of the three carried most of the season for me, as I was much more invested in the show when they were on screen than when they weren't.

Also, I like how they linked the second finale game answer to the ending of the show. SOCIETY = PEOPLE. Neat touch.

The third game especially was funny with the idioms. Like when Kyungryul would rip the piece just under MJ's hand and then spell out 'YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW'.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I still think everyone underrates Jiwon, the actual last mental player around. Might be the editing. I'd have dumped Macho for her because well...we've seen what happened in the finals. MJ did really well in mental tho, she's MVP of the show as far as I'm concerned, she never lost control of Madong for a second and she was good at every field - although she ended up slotted as mental in the end, which was her weakest one. By the way, as soon as I saw the game for the 3rd round I went WELP GG. 1v1 stamina and maths is basically handing out the win to Nopdong, but hey, they actually made the right pick for the finals!

Other things of note: Sangguk being pissed at every decision Nopdong made; Kyungryul going samurai and his beautiful bod; Macho getting shat on because that's always a highlight; Jiwon's (and everyone else, really) fangirling over Queen MJ; editing making me believe that maybe MJ can beat Kyungryul at maths right right oh; Kyungryul dedicating his victory to his wife of three years; Bumdi's "Did You Know" facts on the player title cards.

Good finale overall, although I'm a bit salty MJ didn't win, hunf.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'd be down for an MJ gang tag, if anyone ITT can hook that up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gang tags still a thing?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

MiddleOne posted:

Gang tags still a thing?

For MJ, anything's still a thing.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

MJ breaks the mold for women in Korean tv so hard. I hope this show brings her lots of success and future opportunities.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
As soon as I saw Kyungryul tilt his head to the side I knew he had solved the people puzzle, and that Nopdong was doomed. Kyungryul earned that victory.

Now we need MJ to go full Jinho and be on every TV show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

As soon as I saw Kyungryul tilt his head to the side I knew he had solved the people puzzle, and that Nopdong was doomed. Kyungryul earned that victory.

Now we need MJ to go full Jinho and be on every TV show ever.

Or the same show! Also I don't know how this happened, but I think Macho somehow become one of my top five faves.