Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

Is it possible for a 1080p panel to be hdr, sure but nobody is going to make it.

Incorrect. Sony has said their full 2017 Full HD line is going to be HDR.

They won't all have HDCP 2.2 though so you'll be limited to HDR gaming and streaming with internal apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Is anyone else with a KS8000 having occasional problems with the remote not working? It's happened to me a couple of times now, where you turn on the TV but none of the buttons on the remote will work (except the power button which I guess is IR), and I have to repeatedly reset/re-pair the remote before it will start working again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

5 Second Poser posted:

For what it's worth, I got the OLED 65" C6P, and have had it for a few weeks now. I'm still putting things together in terms of the entertainment center, so I haven't watched a ton on it, but it is an amazing TV. Got it from Cleveland Plasma, and the whole process with them was good. The thing that really swayed me to go with the C6 rather than the B6 is the fact that the chipset in the B6 isn't the same as the other models. So when the HDR Game update that came out a bit ago, the B6 didn't get that update at the same time.

Like was said in this thread when I was looking into TVs a month and a half ago, the black is amazing on it, the curve is barely noticeable, and it's just such a great picture. I highly recommend it. Can't wait to get the entertainment center and surround sound set up and really enjoy it. I'm not much of a 3D fan, but I'm looking forward to at least giving it a try with this TV.

How much did you end up paying for it?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Is buying 3rd party warranties on TVs a thing? I'm in Canada and considering buying a TV from the US since the prices are vastly better, but none of the manufacturers will warranty a TV cross-border.

5 Second Poser
Sep 10, 2007

Don't You Wish You Were Me?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How much did you end up paying for it?

I got it for $2600, right around how much I was willing to comfortably pay for the TV. Even if I had to pay the current price of $3000, I would still think that the C6P was more than worth it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does the KS8000 do 5.1 out of the optical out? My receiver is saying "Dolby Digital" when I watch stuff in the Amazon app on the TV, and when I watch TV over the antenna, but I haven't heard a sound out of my rear speakers. I don't know if there is something I can play through the TV to test this? Or if it just doesn't send 5.1. I know the speakers work, but it seems like I'm at best getting 3.1. But then I don't even know if I'm watching anything that is sending to the rear channels.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone have any insight on why the 65" KS8000 is $300 cheaper than the 60" on frys.com right now? They appear to be the same model. Pricing error in my favor?

(edit) It's true on amazon too. The hell? :psyduck:

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
I think the 60" panel is outsourced and is supposed to be worse than both the 55" and the 65".

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FogHelmut posted:

Does the KS8000 do 5.1 out of the optical out? My receiver is saying "Dolby Digital" when I watch stuff in the Amazon app on the TV, and when I watch TV over the antenna, but I haven't heard a sound out of my rear speakers. I don't know if there is something I can play through the TV to test this? Or if it just doesn't send 5.1. I know the speakers work, but it seems like I'm at best getting 3.1. But then I don't even know if I'm watching anything that is sending to the rear channels.

You have to go into the audio menu of the TV and select 5.1 out if it's avail. It's a pain. I think after the first time you do it, it'll default to that though. Part of the reason I said gently caress the tv apps and got a roku ultra.

Prancing Shoes posted:

I think the 60" panel is outsourced and is supposed to be worse than both the 55" and the 65".

Definitely a different panel. I've heard it's worse as well. I think it might be IPS?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So why's it $300 more expensive than the larger, better panel? :confused:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Samsung isn't making the panel so they can't cut price on the unit as a whole as much? Who knows, get the 65"

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Maybe a super dumb question, but I got a little optical -> analog converter box to be able to use my headphones with the KS8000, but I can't control the volume with my TV remote anymore. Is optical out always a fixed signal? I'm getting super annoyed that it's nearly impossible to watch TV with headphones in 2017.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think it's meant to feed receivers and whatnot, so that would make sense to me.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

So the only options are to get a receiver or just pick up a pair of bluetooth headphones I guess. Anyone use BT headphones with the KS8000? Does it work fine?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
For anybody that wouldn't mind being just a step below the KS8000, I just got a Samsung KU6300 series (40") and it looks f'n great in 4K. Pumped to use it as my 3rd monitor too. Very low input lag so great for gaming as well! Got my 40" on eBay for $370, goes for $450 new

To note, it does technically support HDR10. But it can't "properly" display it from what I understand. I don't really care, looks awesome to me :c00l:

89 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 12, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dogen posted:

Samsung isn't making the panel so they can't cut price on the unit as a whole as much? Who knows, get the 65"

I'm thinking really really hard on it. It'd be displacing my Panasonic Viera 50" plasma, TC-P50GT25. $2K is a hell of a pill for fifteen inches and an LED over a plasma, especially when most of what I do is PS4 and Steam Link (and, now, a RetroPie :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 12, 2017

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

dantheman650 posted:

So the only options are to get a receiver or just pick up a pair of bluetooth headphones I guess. Anyone use BT headphones with the KS8000? Does it work fine?

Yeah works perfect.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What would you guys guess a 70" KS8000 goes down to by the end of the year?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I got a Bluetooth headphone adapter for my KS8000. How do I turn off the white circle that flashes on the left side of the screen every three seconds that tells me my TV volume is off?

Edit: nevermind. It went away when I changed back to TV sound then back to Bluetooth.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Hi, can someone tell me why I SHOULDN'T buy this, please.

http://tinyurl.com/zxjuoxs

I'm in Korea so don't worry about the moon language. Its a 49 inch UHD TV for about 350 dollars. Things are more expensive than the US here so the Samsung models people are talking about are about 800-900 dollars.

I don't watch normal TV at all. No consoles. I only care about streaming through a FireTV. Kodi, Netflix, Youtube etc. My 10 year old 1080i Plasma just broke and I want something cheap.

Is there any reason not to get a cheap TV for such limited purposes?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is anyone's KS8000 dropping internet? Mine has done it twice so far. My wifi works perfectly, except on the TV. No amount of screwing with the settings works. I tried setting manual IP and DNS and all that. I have to unplug the power from the TV and plug it back it to get it back, which is a pain in the rear end since I have it wall mounted.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I haven't had that specific issue, no. I've had that problem with some devices if I have 2.4 and 5ghz on the same SSID.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I've got the possibility of picking up one of my works commercial TVs that are no longer needed for a very very significant discount. They're less than 2 years old and haven't been used much but I have no idea whether there are any trade offs for a commercial TV vs consumer.

It's this model specifically - http://www.samsung.com/uk/business/business-products/smart-signage/professional-display/LH65DMEPLGC/EN

Anything that I should note when using this in my home vs for business use?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fists Up posted:

I've got the possibility of picking up one of my works commercial TVs that are no longer needed for a very very significant discount. They're less than 2 years old and haven't been used much but I have no idea whether there are any trade offs for a commercial TV vs consumer.

It's this model specifically - http://www.samsung.com/uk/business/business-products/smart-signage/professional-display/LH65DMEPLGC/EN

Anything that I should note when using this in my home vs for business use?

No experience with them myself, but it looks like you'll have business/signage apps you don't need instead of the standard media apps. Roku/Fire etc. fixes that problem easily. How much will you be paying? It is only 1080p, so depending on the price it might make more sense to get a new 4k set anyway.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Is anyone's KS8000 dropping internet? Mine has done it twice so far. My wifi works perfectly, except on the TV. No amount of screwing with the settings works. I tried setting manual IP and DNS and all that. I have to unplug the power from the TV and plug it back it to get it back, which is a pain in the rear end since I have it wall mounted.

Yep. Just got mine last week and it's dropping internet almost every day. I just said screw it and plugged in the LAN cable.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Well I just got a bonus, my tax return, and the LG OLED55B6P dropped to $1400 and I won't pay any sales tax on it through Adorama. Guess I own a new TV now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391612997532

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

dantheman650 posted:

Yep. Just got mine last week and it's dropping internet almost every day. I just said screw it and plugged in the LAN cable.

Exact same experience here with the KU6300. Wi-Fi worked... okayish for about a week and now it just plain won't connect. I had a hunch it might be a failure of DHCP on the router but no amount of manual assignment seemed to work. In my case, I had planned to put the router in the media center and plug everything in anyway, but I'd be a bit miffed if that weren't the case. Cursory internet search seems to indicate this isn't a problem new to Samsung TVs. I'd have dug into it more, but when literally every other wifi connected device in my home works fine I'm not inclined to create problems.

Works fine plugged in to LAN.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Kaboobi posted:

Well I just got a bonus, my tax return, and the LG OLED55B6P dropped to $1400 and I won't pay any sales tax on it through Adorama. Guess I own a new TV now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391612997532
Holy crap, ordered as well. I couldn't decide between a 55" OLED or a 65" LED, and this made the decision easy.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

No experience with them myself, but it looks like you'll have business/signage apps you don't need instead of the standard media apps. Roku/Fire etc. fixes that problem easily. How much will you be paying? It is only 1080p, so depending on the price it might make more sense to get a new 4k set anyway.

I don't care about apps. I am paying just a few hundred dollars so its nothing at all for what was a $5k tv. They have nowhere to keep it here and the cost of shipping it back to our HQ was worth more than the tv. Benefits of being in a small remote office

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's the best TV I can get for about $500?

I have a receiver and home theater setup so I don't care about any audio features on the tv, it's just going to get HDMI output from the receiver. I also don't game on it. Its for watching TV, plus Fire TV, blue ray, etc. all of which are plugged into the receiver and not the TV. I don't care about 3D.

I probably wont be mounting it to a wall.

Higher def and better picture would be ideal. I don't upgrade frequently so if this TV can last me 8+ years that would be nice. I have no brand loyalty. I am willing to wait a week to get a better deal or whatever. I'm in California, if that matters for sales tax reasons or something.

As an aside, the OP was last updated in October 2013...

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Bob Socko posted:

Holy crap, ordered as well. I couldn't decide between a 55" OLED or a 65" LED, and this made the decision easy.

I jumped on this Tuesday. The expected delivery date was next Friday, but I got the TV yesterday morning at like 10am. It's, uh, kind of an amazing upgrade from a ~2011 40" Vizio.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
After having a 65", I'm not sure if I could go smaller in the living room even though I sit only about 8-10 feet away.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

PraxxisParadoX posted:

I jumped on this Tuesday. The expected delivery date was next Friday, but I got the TV yesterday morning at like 10am. It's, uh, kind of an amazing upgrade from a ~2011 40" Vizio.
Lucky. The B6P is basically the exact TV I've been looking for, but I waited a bit cause I just figured it would be available for a couple weeks like most eBay deals that pop up. Sold out about 6 hours before I was gonna pull the trigger.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Should I get this TV y/n?
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-49UH6100-49-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01CF07ML2

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I have a receiver and home theater setup so I don't care about any audio features on the tv, it's just going to get HDMI output from the receiver. I also don't game on it. Its for watching TV, plus Fire TV, blue ray, etc. all of which are plugged into the receiver and not the TV. I don't care about 3D.

I probably wont be mounting it to a wall.

Higher def and better picture would be ideal. I don't upgrade frequently so if this TV can last me 8+ years that would be nice. I have no brand loyalty. I am willing to wait a week to get a better deal or whatever. I'm in California, if that matters for sales tax reasons or something.

As an aside, the OP was last updated in October 2013...

This should be a good starting point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Best buy has the Samsung 55" 6290 for $499 and saw an open box for $369.

55" 4k with hdr

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Variable 5 posted:

This should be a good starting point.

Useful, thanks.

We went to Fry's and I discovered the OLED TVs look amazing. But seem to be pretty firmly out of our price range, too. Among the 4k TVs, there seemed to be some really inexpensive ones from Memorex (I remember them from audio tape but that's all) and Silo, who strike me as Simpsons "Sorny" level of branding.

Like this seems like a ridiculously low price for a 65" 4k? http://www.frys.com/product/8981783 $699

Don Lapre posted:

Best buy has the Samsung 55" 6290 for $499 and saw an open box for $369.

55" 4k with hdr

Imma look at this.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Of course, as soon as I grab my 40" KS6300 for $370.

I just tell myself that'll be an extra $130 I'll throw towards a KS8000 eventually.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm going to be moving across the country in a few months. I'm not wrong in thinking that my 42" Panasonic Plasma from 2008 (42PX75, I think?) is

1. Almost worthless
2. Outclassed by almost any new TV

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I'm going to be moving across the country in a few months. I'm not wrong in thinking that my 42" Panasonic Plasma from 2008 (42PX75, I think?) is

1. Almost worthless
2. Outclassed by almost any new TV

Right?

According to TV people, plasma is magical tech with superior picture that we will never get again due to a conspiracy against having nice things.

I haven't seen a plasma since 2008 so I couldn't tell you how it compares side by side.