Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Why isn't the Spanish language version called "Tres Friends?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
No molesto el gato!

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
how come they didnt hire nobody to play the invisible swordsman

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Would you say you have a [i]plethora[\i] of questions about The Three Amigos?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

GORDON posted:

Would you say you have a [i]plethora[\i] of questions about The Three Amigos?

No, just the one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I feel like someone (other than me) should make a thread about movies in the 80's and 90's that were on HBO and the like repeatedly so everyone saw them, but have since disappeared into the ether after the internet became a thing. This is certainly one of them.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

I feel like someone (other than me) should make a thread about movies in the 80's and 90's that were on HBO and the like repeatedly so everyone saw them, but have since disappeared into the ether after the internet became a thing. This is certainly one of them.

Hey, member Doctor Detroit?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seizure Meat posted:

I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka
Moving Violations
Nothing But Trouble
Mannequin 2: On The Move
Police Academy 2-4
Second Sight
The 'Burbs

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Splash and Splash 2

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

whiteyfats posted:

Police Academy 2-4

What about Police Academy 5-7?

Yes, they exist.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grendels Dad posted:

What about Police Academy 5-7?

Yes, they exist.

I was unaware they existed!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
And now you know, and your life is worse for it.

I am sorry.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grendels Dad posted:

And now you know, and your life is worse for it.

I am sorry.

You're not sorry at all. :ohdear:

More movies that seemingly disappeared.

Weekend At Bernie's
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Class of 1984
The Substitute
Next of Kin

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I somehow saw Weekend at Bernie's 2 on TV more than Weekend at Bernie's 1.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Also, here's one: Grumpy Old Men.

Nobody talks about Grumpy Old Men anymore but it was p good

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I just remember my local affiliate censoring the dialog about the airplane's balls when they showed Three Amigos on a Saturday afternoon. That was right before the station became a Fox affiliate.

Going back to movies that used to be on cable a lot:
  • Carbon Copy
  • The Toy
  • Cloak and Dagger
  • Nine to Five
  • Mac and Me

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Weekend At Bernie's was funny and good, shame that it's fallen off the radar for lots of people

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, here's one: Grumpy Old Men.

Nobody talks about Grumpy Old Men anymore but it was p good

Hell, even Grumpier Old Men wasn't terrible.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Grumpy Old Men even had the outtakes of Burgess Meredith getting really dirty with his jokes (so darned funny).

Better Off Dead and Summer School used to get a lot of play, alongside some of the Porky's sequels. I doubt they could ever make any movies like Porky's anymore.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Artsygrrl posted:

I just remember my local affiliate censoring the dialog about the airplane's balls when they showed Three Amigos on a Saturday afternoon. That was right before the station became a Fox affiliate.

Going back to movies that used to be on cable a lot:
  • Carbon Copy
  • The Toy
  • Cloak and Dagger
  • Nine to Five
  • Mac and Me

The Toy is an easy one because holy poo poo would that be considered racist today, even though it's funny as gently caress.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
A good number of those movies could not air today. Porky's included peeping into the girls shower, screwing teachers, and something involving a really weird thematic titty bar.

Carbon Copy and The Toy would probably never be seen again without a large paragraph disclaimer preceding them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Toxic Avenger

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Enemy Mine is another good one, I loved that poo poo when I was a kid.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, that movie was so neat when it came out. Even better to know that the concept is based on some other 'enemies stranded/working together to survive' stories.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Artsygrrl posted:

Grumpy Old Men even had the outtakes of Burgess Meredith getting really dirty with his jokes (so darned funny).

Better Off Dead and Summer School used to get a lot of play, alongside some of the Porky's sequels. I doubt they could ever make any movies like Porky's anymore.

Porky's had full frontal bush and complicated subtext about white privilege, you better believe we aren't getting that in today's environment.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
On a related note, try watching commercials from the 70s and 80s. Amazing how far we have come from the rather racist ads that used to run. Some of the ads directed at girls and women flow as if a bitterly divorced ad exec wrote them, too.

Since it's been years since I last had cable, do they still show Silver Streak, or has that been yanked?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Missing in Action 1 and 2
Invasion USA

My mom is a Chuck Norris for some reason, so I've seen a lot of his movies.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for reminding me!

All of those Death Wish movies. So much Bronson.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artsygrrl posted:

Thanks for reminding me!

All of those Death Wish movies. So much Bronson.

Death Wish is a pretty quality bad action series.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
The Death Wish series and Chuck Norris movies are still pretty visible in the culture and haven't ever really disappeared. If you want action movies that have disappeared try some of the lesser known 80's Vietnam movies like Hamburger Hill or Siege of Firebase Gloria. Siege actually has R. Lee Ermy in a starring role, and scores bonus points for also having Wings Hauser in it, haha

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 1, 2017

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Do they still show some of the 70s/80s era war films with Lee Marvin on television?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Artsygrrl posted:

On a related note, try watching commercials from the 70s and 80s. Amazing how far we have come from the rather racist ads that used to run. Some of the ads directed at girls and women flow as if a bitterly divorced ad exec wrote them, too.

Since it's been years since I last had cable, do they still show Silver Streak, or has that been yanked?

I watched 6 hours of MTV taped with commercials from the 80s, and holy poo poo you're right. It is laid on really thick.

I dunno about TV, but I just saw Silver Streak is on Netflix this month.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
The blackface scene aside, watching the combination of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor was a real treat. I think they used the 'man dangling from railroad light' clip for the opening credits of The Fall Guy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Artsygrrl posted:

Do they still show some of the 70s/80s era war films with Lee Marvin on television?

Now that you mention it, I don't think so. Occasionally they'll show "The Dirty Dozen".

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Need to see that one.

That reminds me - I grew up on Donovan's Reef due to the many re-runs, and the eventual acquisition of it in VHS form (dad loved Wayne). Lee Marvin was pretty amusing in that film.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Force 10 from Navarone and Kelly's Heroes are a couple more WWII movies that both used to be on TV constantly. I probably saw Force 10 fifty times growing up.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Force 10 from Navarone and Kelly's Heroes are a couple more WWII movies that both used to be on TV constantly. I probably saw Force 10 fifty times growing up.

I read the Navarone books as a kid and it was weird that the Force 10 book was a sequel to the movie version of Guns and not the book version. I think Jurassic Park and Lost World were like that too or am I misremembering?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

P-Mack posted:

I read the Navarone books as a kid and it was weird that the Force 10 book was a sequel to the movie version of Guns and not the book version. I think Jurassic Park and Lost World were like that too or am I misremembering?

Sort of. I'm pretty sure Crichton wrote Lost World specifically for a boatload of movie cash, and I dunno, must have known in advance Jeff Goldblum was going to be in it because while it's technically a book sequel, it magically brings his character (killed in the original novel) back from the dead so he can be in it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Kelly's Heroes is still on tv a bunch, but the real missing Lee Marvin movie is The Big Red One. Kinda weird, too, because it has Mark Hamill in it and almost no one I know has ever seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sort of. I'm pretty sure Crichton wrote Lost World specifically for a boatload of movie cash, and I dunno, must have known in advance Jeff Goldblum was going to be in it because while it's technically a book sequel, it magically brings his character (killed in the original novel) back from the dead so he can be in it.

Pretty sure the studio told him to write a sequel or they'd write one.

• Locked thread