Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

chernobyl kinsman posted:

jonathan strange and mr norrel

Will give it a shot! Ended up reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro in the meantime, which I can highly recommend to basically everyone with a pulse. I'd read earlier in the thread that it caused a lot of people to cry, but personally I'm much more fond of the incredible sense of "place" Ishiguro managed to convey. It's become rare for me to be able to perfectly visualize locations and such in books, but due to the constant first person narration style it almost felt less like a book and more an expertly transcribed storytelling - it pulled me in in a big way, and I read it in two big 2 hour long chunks, sometimes just enjoying the "scenery" as it was. I just wish it was a happier book. Will definitely be checking out the others he's written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good historical books about Japan? I was reading a bunch of Wikipedia aritcles randomly about Japan's history of War crimes and all the wars they've had with Korea and China. Also how they were a isolated country for a long time until they opened up and started invading their neighbors. It doesn't matter what period it is. I have heard the Meiji restoration is interesting or Japan's economic boom post world war 2. Any thing is fine as long its about Japan's history.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Last time I posted in this thread I got recommended I, Claudius which ended up being one of my favorite books. Just finished the sequel - also great. Recommendations for either 1) books related to ancient Rome or 2) books with fantastic first-person narration?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

Last time I posted in this thread I got recommended I, Claudius which ended up being one of my favorite books. Just finished the sequel - also great. Recommendations for either 1) books related to ancient Rome or 2) books with fantastic first-person narration?

OK, I'll go off kilter here: Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want your heart ripped out of your chest then there is the book you can't talk about without spoilering it- remains of the day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

learnincurve posted:

If you want your heart ripped out of your chest then there is the book you can't talk about without spoilering it- remains of the day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I thought that heart ripping line was gonna lead into _Never Let Me Go_

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Last time I posted in this thread I got recommended I, Claudius which ended up being one of my favorite books. Just finished the sequel - also great. Recommendations for either 1) books related to ancient Rome
Hermann Broch's The Death of Virgil

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

my bony fealty posted:

I'm personally fond of Susan Howatch's Absolute Truths - about life and death in the Church of England. Not my usual topic, but the writing style is addictive.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ulio posted:

Any good historical books about Japan? I was reading a bunch of Wikipedia aritcles randomly about Japan's history of War crimes and all the wars they've had with Korea and China. Also how they were a isolated country for a long time until they opened up and started invading their neighbors. It doesn't matter what period it is. I have heard the Meiji restoration is interesting or Japan's economic boom post world war 2. Any thing is fine as long its about Japan's history.

So, Shogun is historical fiction but gets good reviews even from historians for being accurate in its atmosphere and world, and semi-historically accurate with its storyline. It's also a ripping good book. It's not quite what you're asking for but I feel like it deserves a mention all the same.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Seconding Shogun. Just a drat enjoyable read.

If non-fiction books about Rome are an option, Mary Beard's SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome is really good.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
as is o'connell's ghosts of cannae, which also has the advantage of being short enough to rip through in about an afternoon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

my bony fealty posted:

books related to ancient Rome

The Makers of Rome and Fall of the Roman Republic by Plutarch are both great.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Rubicon; the last days of the roman republic by Tom Holland is the one a lot of people jump into Roman history from. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91017.Rubicon?ac=1&from_search=true

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
just going to ask for a recommendation for some stories where it's about multiple characters competing in some kind of ongoing real life game, like the Westing Game or Zelanzny's Night in Lonesome October.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
wolf in white van?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

just going to ask for a recommendation for some stories where it's about multiple characters competing in some kind of ongoing real life game, like the Westing Game or Zelanzny's Night in Lonesome October.

If you don't mind kid lit, Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library and its sequels are pretty good.

There's also Ready Player One, but that depends heavily on your tolerance for '80s nostalgia.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk is pretty much Clue with Turkish artists.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

There's also Ready Player One, but that depends heavily on your tolerance for '80s nostalgia.

i legitimately dont understand how anyone who isn't a basement-dwelling incel with a traumatically damaged cerebral cortex could derive any enjoyment from rpo. its existence is an active affront to the written word itself,and more importantly to me

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hemingway To Go! posted:

PKD's The Game-Players of Titan, Solar Lottery, or maaaaybe Time Out of Joint, but that might be a stretch. There's tons of YA stuff out there, too, like 39 Clues and Interstellar Pig (a childhood favorite), but I'm guessing that's not what you're looking for.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i legitimately dont understand how anyone who isn't a basement-dwelling incel with a traumatically damaged cerebral cortex could derive any enjoyment from rpo. its existence is an active affront to the written word itself,and more importantly to me

While I have not read the book and would likely find it insufferable, I'm still going to enjoy the irony of this post.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The Magus might not fit completely but I'm gonna recommend it anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Not quite sure what you mean by "real life game", but the Dream Park books might work. California Voodoo Game is the best of them IMO.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

While I have not read the book and would likely find it insufferable, I'm still going to enjoy the irony of this post.

what irony are u referring to my man

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Not sure if it fits your criteria, but maybe The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

A human heart posted:

what irony are u referring to my man

The post itself is really bad.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's ironic because you should listen to it on audiobook

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

On the other hand I too did find Ready Player One to be rather too preoccupied with pandering to nerds to actually manage to make the narrative work. It is actually a bit unfortunate, because it sets up a pretty vivid backstory and real-world grounding, but then goes on to do stuff like spend page after page obsessing about an old (bad) D&D campaign, describing the details of an old arcade game, and generally expounding on MMORPG tropes. It might pay off in a good way eventually, but I had to put it down something like a third of the way through.

But then I had to stop reading the Martian when he named kWh/day (which remains just kW with some scale factor) monkeypirates of whatever the hell monkeycheese thing it was, so I may in general not be cut out for this brand of novel.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

It is actually a bit unfortunate, because it sets up a pretty vivid backstory and real-world grounding,

i dont think thats true cybernetic vermin

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

A human heart posted:

i dont think thats true cybernetic vermin

That's fascinating.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

That's fascinating.

:)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'm a basement-dwelling incel irl

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
How does everyone feel about the Wordsworth Classics paperbacks?

I'm looking at this edition of Ulysses, since it's only $2, but I don't wanna waste $2 that could go towards a better edition.

Is the binding decent? Font size legible? Room for notation? Paper quality, etc...

EDIT: This edition has tiny little print. If anyone has a recommendation for a good edition, I would appreciate it.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 13, 2017

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

So, Shogun is historical fiction but gets good reviews even from historians for being accurate in its atmosphere and world, and semi-historically accurate with its storyline. It's also a ripping good book. It's not quite what you're asking for but I feel like it deserves a mention all the same.

I will check it out. I had it in my to read list but I always thought it was more about drama and not really about being historical accurate or whatever. Don't know why I got that impression.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Ulio posted:

I will check it out. I had it in my to read list but I always thought it was more about drama and not really about being historical accurate or whatever. Don't know why I got that impression.

Its a cool book so I don't want to put you off, but It is mostly about drama.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Franchescanado posted:

How does everyone feel about the Wordsworth Classics paperbacks?

I'm looking at this edition of Ulysses, since it's only $2, but I don't wanna waste $2 that could go towards a better edition.

Is the binding decent? Font size legible? Room for notation? Paper quality, etc...

EDIT: This edition has tiny little print. If anyone has a recommendation for a good edition, I would appreciate it.

Dublin Illustrated Edition No doubt. https://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Dubl...ses+illustrated the $2 is very good value though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ulio posted:

I mean, it's plot heavy in a very GoT, plots-within-plots type of way, but it has a lot of world building and atmospheric / setting-type things that make it feel very authentic. The first 50 pages or so can be a bit intimidating with all the names thrown at you but I don't know anyone who has read through the entirety who doesn't love it and feel they have a better understanding of feudal Japan.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

I mean, it's plot heavy in a very GoT, plots-within-plots type of way, but it has a lot of world building and atmospheric / setting-type things that make it feel very authentic. The first 50 pages or so can be a bit intimidating with all the names thrown at you but I don't know anyone who has read through the entirety who doesn't love it and feel they have a better understanding of feudal Japan.

Just to be clear, are we talking about James Clavell's Shogun?

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

learnincurve posted:

I might be broken because I really didn't enjoy this book. I found Stevens to be insufferable.

But I adore Never Let Me Go.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Xtanstic posted:

In the spirit of upcoming Valentine's Day, do you have any suggestions for a decent romance book? Preferably with a hook or a gimmick? I'm not exactly looking for trashy airport romance. I thought The Time Traveler's Wife was decent when I read it years ago. Is Outlander decent?

Not really a "romance" novel but I was moved by the understated and tragic romance in Euphoria.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Solitair posted:

Just to be clear, are we talking about James Clavell's Shogun?

Yessir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for fictional non-fiction books? Two examples are Motel of the Mysteries and The Atlas of Remote Islands.