Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can't go against the Tamers dub because they still used The One True Theme. (Oh damnit, I didn't want this as the top post of a new page, but oh well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've said this before, but my main points against the Tamers dub are a lot of the forced lull destruction, turning the devas into more stereotypical evil bad guys whose motives conflict with what's stated later in the show, and scattered but important scenes that cast Jian/Henry in completely the wrong light (especially at the end).

Both of Guilmon's voice actors are great but the dual speaking for the Ultimate/Mega forms is very ill advised.

It is a solidly B- dub for me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Burkion posted:

I can never go against the dub because Steve Blum as Guilmon is a beautiful wonderful thing

Yeah, Blum's Guilmon voice is fantastic. I do like the Japanese voice, especially as Dukemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Masako Nozawa as Dukemon is amazing, and I'm not even a fan of her (I've always disliked her in her most well-known role, Goku, and even moreso as the other members of the Son family because they all end up sounding exactly the same. She nails Black though, somehow).

Also Tamers is a must-watch, as everyone has said. Always watch Tamers. Savers is goddamn great too.

And since no one else is going to say this for some goddamned reason, read the manga. V-Tamer is amazing and far better than most of the anime, in fact it loving goes and uses Daisuke and Takuya in one chapter far better than their entire series did. It gives proper characterization and development to the worst leads Digimon ever had (until Tagiru existed, that is), something their own series failed to. And it's amazing in its own story and characters, too. You can't ever go wrong with V-Tamer. The Xros Wars manga is superior to the anime too, even if the ending is super rushed due to cancellation. And Next is good, though nowhere near the other two and definitely not as good as its companion anime, Savers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Next is just kind of fluff. It's a "safe" generic digimon story to placate people when Savers was superficially too different from traditional digimon stories. It doesn't really use most of its cast that well though, and most of the female characters are basically held hostage by the plot, either literally or by taking their digimon away.

It's better than the XW manga at least.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Imo you should watch Tamers right now. Easily the best Digimon show.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I honestly want them to make Cyber Sleuth into an anime series. Slice of life crime solving for Digimon clients. Do it.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Echoing that Tamers is the best Digimon of them all. All the best characters, the best powerups/evolution using cards, the best evolutions, Matrix evolution was the poo poo. Fusing with the Digimon is the best drat thing. If they did a Tamers sequel, it would be all I could ever want in the world. (of Digimon) Watch Tamers and then come back and tell us how you liked it.

phourniner fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 16, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Alter-B got a profile and well

"Omegamon Alter-S lost its identity and went out of control after being injected with Black Digitron"

At this rate we'll get enough Omegamon variants to fill a country.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

phourniner posted:

Echoing that Tamers is the best Digimon of them all. All the best characters, the best powerups/evolution using cards, the best evolutions, Matrix evolution was the poo poo. Fusing with the Digimon is the best drat thing. If they did a Tamers sequel, it would be all I could ever want in the world. (of Digimon) Watch Tamers and then come back and tell us how you liked it.

i don't want a tamers sequel because Chiaki needs to focus his attention on Despera, which is totally still happening okay

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Burkion posted:

I can never go against the dub because Steve Blum as Guilmon is a beautiful wonderful thing

Rika is voiced by Melissa Fahn, who voiced Neptune in Neptunia and Gaz in Invader Zim, and imagining that Rika is just being controlled by either of them in a weird game roleplay made Tamers stupid fun for me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Interview with Cyber Sleuth and N0 PS4 version producer

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2017-02-10/digimon-world-next-order-kazumasa-habu/.108199

quote:

Is the overall number of monsters in Digimon World: Next Order lower than the number in Cyber Sleuth, since the raising process is more complicated?

In the PlayStation 4 version we have about 230 Digimon. That's a little bit less than Cyber Sleuth, but as you know the game system is different and so is the battling system. So we couldn't put them all in. We'd like to increase the volume throughout the whole series.

Unlike Cyber Sleuth, making the Digimon evolve to the Ultimate level in Next Order is very, very tough.

Is Omegamon still the favorite for fans?

Yes, when we have a vote in Japan, that one gets double the votes of the second place. Is it like that in America?

Hmm. I don't know. You'd like to hear from American fans, then?

Yes, please take a vote! We'd love to know!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'd expect the results to be similar. Omegamon's just really cool. I can't really think of another design that measures up to it to be honest. They tried with Chaosmon, Susanoomon and... I dunno, but there's definitely no shortage of Omegamon-likes, but none of them really capture that coolness.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It helps that it's War Greymon and Metal Garurumon fused together, with one hand being a dragon sword and the other hand being a wolf cannon.

With a badass cape. And best of all, it's not over designed, like so many other Digimon like him are. It is a shockingly simple design with the most ornate thing being his arms.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, they really overdesign the "cool" ones nowadays. Like, Jesmon. What the gently caress is that thing? It's got swords for legs and on its arms and also the tail is a sword and it has weird fireballs with spikes and its armor is all super detailed and jesus christ

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Omnimon is also, of course, elevated by Our War Game being hype as hell and the best-remembered part of the Movie package, and OWG being so well- and distinctly animated.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jesmon being a mass of swords and pointy things is fitting given he involves from something that's named after chopping poo poo up.

Omegamon's cool but I don't think he's the be-all-end-all of Digimon design.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TFRazorsaw posted:

Jesmon being a mass of swords and pointy things is fitting given he involves from something that's named after chopping poo poo up.

Yeah but he's half of the be-all end-all of Digimon design: WarGreymon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

It might be fitting but it's still garish as hell and I was kinda disappointed to see him in Tri. Alphamon is rad though, he can stay.

Rudoku posted:

Yeah but he's half of the be-all end-all of Digimon design: WarGreymon.
This is a good point... WarGreymon is also very cool and good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

WarGreymon is nice but as main partner final forms go he's always felt a bit ordinary in comparison to his successors.

Most people will probably disagree with this but I've always preferred ShineGreymon as the best representation of that archetype.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

WarGreymon is nice but as main partner final forms go he's always felt a bit ordinary in comparison to his successors.

Most people will probably disagree with this but I've always preferred ShineGreymon as the best representation of that archetype.

I'll be the first to disagree, though pointing one thing out: I prefer all of Savers Agumon's line except for the Mega. GeoGreymon and RizeGreymon are much better than the regular Greymon and MetalGreymon, but ShineGreymon always looked weird to me and WarGreymon looked better.

None of this matters though, because the best Greymon-species Mega is Gaioumon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also the apex of Mega/Ultimate Digimon design is SaintGalgomon/MegaGargomon.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll be the first to disagree, though pointing one thing out: I prefer all of Savers Agumon's line except for the Mega. GeoGreymon and RizeGreymon are much better than the regular Greymon and MetalGreymon, but ShineGreymon always looked weird to me and WarGreymon looked better.

For me, it's always been two things on ShineGreymon. One, there's the continuity of design from Rise to Shine, in that they both have similar wings. The other part is I feel the overall design has the right mix of "dragon" and "knightly" traits that make him emblematic of both themes that usually get attached to main partner Digimon. He just works, I think.

Also his attacks are all super neat.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 17, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

WarGreymon is indeed loving awesome but I'm partial towards Victory Greymon. Wish he would be used more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like WarGreymon, and most of the original Digimon for that matter, entirely because they're more ordinary. They've all got really strong identities and really strong designs that don't go too complicated.

Magna Angemon is the most complicated design of the bunch and he's supposed to be this big stand out even among the others.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
WarGreymon (and Metalgarurumon to an extent) really work as a contrast to the stuff that came before. Everything was getting so huge and complex until those two came in with sleek designs. Digimon has only doubled down on complexity in their designs, like ShineGreymon or KaiserGreymon, but there's just something cool of a dragon man wearing orange armor plates with wolverine claws.

I like VictoryGreymon, but he's just a more designed WarGreymon, while the latter just nails an iconic design right away. Omegamon is super cool for those reasons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seraphimon is a much better design than HolyAngemon, who is really just Angemon in a pope hat.

WarGreymon just feels super plain to me. Like. The most standout parts of his design are his claws. Compared to the other original Pendulum Ultimates he feels starkly average. MetalGarurumon, Hououmon, and HerakleKabuterimon are more memorable designs from that era.

Oddly I feel later takes on his design like WarGreymon X and VictoryGreymon have more visual interest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

For an example of what I mean about WarGreymon I point at Our War Game where WG gets his Dramon Killers smashed off, and for a while he's just... fighting as this DBZ-looking dude with energy balls and stuff. He just looks like this otherwise human character with a dragon face as the only reminder he's not just A Guy. I realize the likes of Dukemon and ShineGreymon are humanoid too but they look like the armor and wings and stuff is part of them rather than just, I dunno, a dude wearing a suit.

I dunno. It's a weird thing and I'm willing to admit that it's a hang up specific to me. I don't DISLIKE WarGreymon and he's definitely a classic but that's why he's at the bottom of my personal ranking.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See I really like that because it calls back to Were Garurumon.

As a kid I always thought that, due to the way they evolved, Metal Greymon and Were Garurumon basically shared traits with one another. Not really a fusion, but a shared evolution through their own strengths.

So Greymon got more humanoid, while Metal Garurumon got the armory to end all armories.

I also loving love War Greymon using actual weapons because in that same scene he just goes off and punches the fucker who took his gauntlet in the face. More Digimon need to practice the art of face punching.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I've always like the Angemon and Angewomon lines the best, i guess i just like anime angels

also MarineAngemon, who doesn't really look like an angel but they're cute as hell

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If we're talking angels, ever since I played Digimon World 3, I've always loved SlashAngemon. That thing seems to be made to appear in a JRPG (if possible, one better than World 3), like the guy who decides if a Digimon has had enough gun was made to decide if a Digimon had enough sword, and in both cases, the answer was no until far too late to stop.

Goddamn SlashAngemon is cool and edgy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

See I really like that because it calls back to Were Garurumon.

As a kid I always thought that, due to the way they evolved, Metal Greymon and Were Garurumon basically shared traits with one another. Not really a fusion, but a shared evolution through their own strengths.

So Greymon got more humanoid, while Metal Garurumon got the armory to end all armories.

I also loving love War Greymon using actual weapons because in that same scene he just goes off and punches the fucker who took his gauntlet in the face. More Digimon need to practice the art of face punching.

SaintGalgomon's is bigger :p

I get what you're saying but that's really more a coincidence. The Adventure designs were done for the virtual pets first and they were picked for the anime later. Adventure is really more thrown together from what already existed in the mythos at the time than the more synergistic plans for anime and toys that later seasons had.

But like I said, it's a personal thing. It makes WarGreymon feel less like a Digital MONSTER to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

If we're talking angels, ever since I played Digimon World 3, I've always loved SlashAngemon. That thing seems to be made to appear in a JRPG (if possible, one better than World 3), like the guy who decides if a Digimon has had enough gun was made to decide if a Digimon had enough sword, and in both cases, the answer was no until far too late to stop.

Goddamn SlashAngemon is cool and edgy.

quote:

if a Digimon had enough gun

http://wikimon.net/Gundramon

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 17, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

But like I said, it's a personal thing. It makes WarGreymon feel less like a Digital MONSTER to me.

maybe humans are the real monsters, wargreymon is biting social commentary

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

maybe humans are the real monsters, wargreymon is biting social commentary

"The Digimon outside looked from WarGreymon to man, and from man to WarGreymon, and from WarGreymon to man again; but it was already impossible to tell which was which."

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah, they really overdesign the "cool" ones nowadays. Like, Jesmon. What the gently caress is that thing? It's got swords for legs and on its arms and also the tail is a sword and it has weird fireballs with spikes and its armor is all super detailed and jesus christ

Jesmon is the coolest. I love his design, and Hackmon's evolution path is probably one of the smoothest in terms of continuity.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Hackmon's path feels too smooth to me, imo. I love continuity and smooth transition, but he legitimately looks the same to me at Champion and Ultimate. I feel like Lunamon gets the same feel with less sameyness.

As for ShineGreymon, he just feels kinda like a happy meal toy to me. Its the colors and the roundedness. His Burst Mode, on the other hand, is badass.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so we have official art of the four main Ultimate Grades.

Oujamon is so gonna die.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Was this a contest winner? Or designed during a "take your child to work" day?

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesmon is the coolest. I love his design, and Hackmon's evolution path is probably one of the smoothest in terms of continuity.

Very interesting way to spell "Kabuterimon".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

See, that's funny, because most of the digimon people love are based on fan designs, including but not limited to Birdramon, Kabuterimon, and Angemon.

But no, Gundramon is 100 % an internal Bandai design. And he's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gundramon is the most Digimon Digimon ever. If anyone asks me what Digimon is, I show them Gundramon.

It only lacks boobs to be the absolute personification of Digimon as a franchise.