Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mllaneza posted:

I'm surrounded by azoles !

RIP you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-38991983

quote:

University buildings were evacuated when a student accidentally made the same highly explosive substance that was used in the Paris terror attacks.

An investigation by Bristol University has found that triacetone triperoxide (TATP) was "unintentionally formed during a routine procedure".

A cordon was set up around the university's chemistry block during the incident earlier this month.

No-one was injured and a controlled explosion was carried out.
[...]
"As soon as the presence of TATP was identified the student immediately notified those responsible for laboratory safety in the school.
The terrorism link is awfully sensationalist, but apart from that I wonder how that happens and what the routine is. Do you check for high explosives at every step in certain procedures, just in case?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

My Lovely Horse posted:

The terrorism link is awfully sensationalist, but apart from that I wonder how that happens and what the routine is. Do you check for high explosives at every step in certain procedures, just in case?

Did you know that terrorists chiefly consist of carbon and water?

Makes you think.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
GMOs have the same CHEMICALS as TERRORISTS!!

really makes u think.......

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

I expect for certain procedures there isn't so much a "run a sample through a spectrometer, just to make sure you haven't accidentally made boom juice" as "this step will probably involve the creation of an organic peroxide as an intermediary, so try not to sneeze".

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Wylie posted:

Christ, what an azole

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedN.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Buff Skeleton posted:

:golfclap:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Derek Lowe already has a writeup:

quote:

How Not to Do It: TATP

You may well have heard about an incident at the University of Bristol, where a student inadvertently prepared some triacetone triperoxide (TATP). That’s a substance that I definitely won’t work with, but I haven’t done an entry on it in that category because of its unfortunate significance. No one is going to make a batch of FOOF at home, but TATP is another matter. It can be prepared from (reasonably) common chemicals, and thus is a favorite weapon of terrorist bombers the world over. Its main defect is its extreme sensitivity, which at least at one time earned it the nickname (in Arabic) of “Mother of Satan”. Here’s the Wikipedia page on acetone peroxides (there are several) if you want that on your browser history. Let there be no doubt: synthesizing and handling TATP in any sort of large quantity is an invitation to be killed without warning, and “large” kicks in quite early on the scale. High-energy compounds have no regard for the humans working with them; you’ll get more consideration from a hungry leopard, who at least might regard you as useful for his own ends.

When the Bristol story came out, it was hard to understand how someone wanders into making TATP, but this C&E News story has all the details. It was in the workup of a chlorite oxidation reaction done in acetone, and the original prep suggested adding a small amount of 30% hydrogen peroxide at the end to consume some yellow by-products (such as chlorine dioxide, which you’d rather not have around). The student tried it, and the yellow was still there, so he added some more. And some more, and some more. Without thinking, he got up to about 50 mL of peroxide, and on the workup, he noticed that he had a lot more organic phase material than he should have during the extraction. That, fortunately, was when the mental alarm went off – had he carried on and rota-vapped that stuff down, this story would doubtless have a much different ending. Theoretical yield was about 40g of TATP, which is too much by any reasonable person’s definition.

They called in the bomb squad, who did a controlled demolition, and that sounds like probably the right choice. If the TATP were diluted, it could probably be moved and then decomposed slowly, but the report is that the liquid was already becoming more viscous, so I can understand the caution. I wouldn’t volunteer to add the extra DI water to that sep funnel myself, much less any reducing agent. I’m very glad that no one was injured, and that this has perhaps called some attention (once again) to the fact that acetone and hydrogen peroxide do not live harmoniously.

Buff Skeleton posted:

:master:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Buff Skeleton posted:

::master:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Hello from BSS! I have what I hope is a reasonable science question to do with this page, where Iron Man is fighting an early arch-nemesis, Titanium Man:

My question is, can someone please hold forth at length about the combustibility of titanium? I assume it does ignite above a certain temperature, similar to aluminum, and I also suspect that it oxidizes very violently. Is that true?. What would it take to extinguish? Does it manage to self-oxidize in water?

EDIT: Thanks! Carrying that back.

LordSaturn has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Feb 20, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Titanium can burn underwater by stripping the oxygen from water molecules. The normal way to extinguish metal fires is either to smother them (sand, chemical foam) or cool them (expanding CO2). It's not easy though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hydrogen peroxide would royally gently caress over titanium man something fierce.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Mustached Demon posted:

Hydrogen peroxide would royally gently caress over titanium man something fierce.

Or any halogenated organic compound, iirc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Titanium Man’s kryptonite is tap water.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I thought the titanium in the SR71 could only be worked by special tools, otherwise the metal would corrode mid-flight and send everyone back to the ground prematurely. I want to say the tools had to be chromium?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Apparently tools at the time were commonly cadmium plated, to prevent corrosion. Presumably they switched to stainless steel or something similar.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

GMOs have the same CHEMICALS as TERRORISTS!!

really makes u think.......

GMOs have the same chemicals as non-GMOs, too! The conspiracy runs deep!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
GMO crops contain pieces of Hitler!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

GMO crops contain pieces of Hitler!

Homeopathic levels of Hitler!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

So much Hitler power.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Dear God, we are all lost.

RUN YOU FOOLS!

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Things that go FOOF in the night: Homeopathic levels of Hitler

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CleverHans posted:

Things that go FOOF in the night: Homeopathic levels of Hitler

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2017/03/03/how-not-to-do-it-breaking-up-ammonium-nitrate

New Derek Lowe piece, about BASF using a novel method of separating large hunks of solid ammonium nitrate

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

`Nemesis posted:

New Derek Lowe piece, about BASF using a novel method of separating large hunks of solid ammonium nitrate
'Novel' is an... interesting way of saying 'dynamite'.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's spelled Nobel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's a 560 dead between friends anyway. Imagine the time they saved!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its always a good reminder that for every little bit of fancy pants research chemical that we like to fawn over, its commodity quantities of boring stuff that has the body count.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

zedprime posted:

Its always a good reminder that for every little bit of fancy pants research chemical that we like to fawn over, its commodity quantities of boring stuff that has the body count.

That's because people get complacent around large quantities of things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kwyndig posted:

That's because people get complacent around large quantities of things.
Yes and no. There's also the simple energy balance that just because Klapotke can tailor make chemicals with jaw dropping chemical potential energy per mol, the chemical potential energy in a mountain of ammonium nitrate is a completely different magnitude of energy accessible in one event.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Novel” is really something I don’t like to hear applied to explosives.

I’ll take the time‐tested ones, thanks.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Hmm, I do have a block of titanium downstairs ...

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

zedprime posted:

the chemical potential energy in a mountain of ammonium nitrate is a completely different magnitude of energy accessible in one event.

Ammonium nitrate is pretty tame in the context of this thread, but the lack of energy is made up for by the fact that there's a lot of it around when it goes off. As Texas port cities go, I think Galveston has the better record -- at least there, they saw the hurricanes coming and had the chance to run the gently caress away before it got scoured down to bedrock (twice! That's why Houston is now the main port, at the end of a ridiculously expensive canal. Also, Houston is smart enough to tell ships full of ammonium nitrate to take that poo poo somewhere else, away from the oil refineries.)

Speaking of relatively benign explosives in large amounts, we're coming up on the 80th anniversary of the third-worst disaster (:siren: warning: a bunch of little kids died, so stop here if you're squeamish about that sort of thing :siren: ) to befall Texas (after the aforementioned Galveston hurricane of 1900 and Texas City all but being nuked) -- in 1937, the little town of New London, in the middle of the biggest oilfield ever discovered at the time, used their oil money to build a nice shiny new million-dollar school. But for some reason they cheaped out on heating the place, and just tapped into the oil company's waste gas line (this was before the oil companies realized they could sell it) instead of getting a proper installation. They also cheaped out on the plumber they hired to install the line, so it leaked. On March 18, literally ten minutes before school (and the PTA meeting in the gym) let out, the shop teacher flipped the switch on a power tool, causing a spark, which ignited the leaked gas in the basement/crawlspace.

Official death toll was around 300, mostly children, but given the intensity of the explosion and the parents attending the PTA meeting, it's better than even odds that some entire families were vaporized, leaving nobody to report them missing.

You know it's bad when Adolf Fuckin' Hitler sends his condolences.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delivery McGee posted:

I think Galveston has the better record -- at least there, they saw the hurricanes coming and had the chance to run the gently caress away before it got scoured down to bedrock (twice!

Galveston wishes it were built on bedrock. :v:

It’s nothing but mud for thousands of feet below the surface.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Delivery McGee posted:

You know it's bad when Adolf Fuckin' Hitler sends his condolences.

Ahaha holy poo poo. I knew about this tragedy, but I had no idea about this part.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I honestly have no doubt it was genuine either. The New London school explosion is just that horrific.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hitler knew an opportunity for free goodwill when he saw one.

See also: The fatal hike that became a Nazi propaganda coup

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Things that go FOOF in the night: Even Hitler sent his condolences

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Platystemon posted:

Galveston wishes it were built on bedrock. :v:

It’s nothing but mud for thousands of feet below the surface.

Straight up? How do they build securely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VanSandman posted:

Straight up? How do they build securely?

Friction piles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxm5PgK3C80