Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i honestly don't have a terribly strong opinion of the trapped in a game setting. the only one of those that i really liked was grimgar, but i can't say i've seen many of those that i found offensive. SAO (at least for like 12 episodes) and danmachi i thought were decent if not exceptional (the fights were good, which is probably a bigger deal for me than most other people i guess?), and konosuba is pretty funny. i watched like 5 episodes of logged horizon, i ended up saying "well this is pretty neat, i'll set it down and pick it back up tomorrow" and then never particularly felt like picking it back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
hey i havent watched anime in a while. i loved school rumble and slam dunk anime, basically romantic comedy stuff or funny shows with romantic vibes. I ddin't like Toradora. I liked monthly girls nozaki kun. also i hate any anime that has that default brown haired timid anime protaganist so its hard for me to find shows to watch in this genre, thanks

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Maybe Ore Monogatari/My Love Story? It's a pretty funny romantic comedy with a fairly non-standard couple

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Seconding Ore Monogatari, and no romantic comedy recommendation is complete without mentioning Lovely Complex.

If you liked Slam Dunk and want something sporty with a little more romance focus, some Mitsuru Adachi might work. Cross Game is probably the best one to start with, as Touch is 100+ episodes (but really really good).

If you don't mind some (well, a lot) sexual humor, B Gata H Kei is pretty funny and way sweeter and less sleazy than its premise makes you think it would be.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i remember watching all of Touch over a summer and getting really into the 80s anime smalltown baseball aesthetic. Forgot that they made more anime based off his works, but i started to feel like Touch anime really dragged out the story to fill more episodes and that maybe reading the manga would've been better?

I read a lot of the lovely complex manga but kind of fell off of it, so even though i know its really good I don't know if I'll go back

I'll definitely check out Ore Monogatari, seems cool

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

smenj posted:

Regarding bleak shows, there's also From The New World, which I really enjoyed.

Owned, thanks!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

uguu posted:

Owned, thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it!

EDIT:

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

hey i havent watched anime in a while. i loved school rumble and slam dunk anime, basically romantic comedy stuff or funny shows with romantic vibes. I ddin't like Toradora. I liked monthly girls nozaki kun. also i hate any anime that has that default brown haired timid anime protaganist so its hard for me to find shows to watch in this genre, thanks

I'd throw my recommendation behind Ore Monogatari/My Love Story as others have done - definitely a great show that seems to fit the kind of thing you're looking for. However, just to put another recommendation out there, I'd somewhat hesitantly suggest you might want to check out SNAFU if you run out of other stuff to try. The first season's mostly rom-com business until it introduces a bit more drama towards the end, but the second season is really heavy on the drama throughout, which may well not be what you're after, since you said you didn't like Toradora. Still, the protagonist is pretty unique, so you might be interested.

smenj fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 16, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wrapped up Mob Psycho 100 and my thoughts are, I wish I could be 1/10th as cool as Reigen. That guy is alright.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
A regular dude playing it cool amongst crazy folks with super powers. Reigen is totally chill

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

If you haven't already, watch Chihayafuru. It's mostly a "sports club" show, but with tons of comedy, some romance in the making, good drama, and most of all great characters including a strong-willed and assertive female lead.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless is a good comedy with vaguely romantic overtones. Lots of crushes, cute practically married not-quite-couples, and it's hilarious. First ep, before they introduce more of the cast, is easily the weakest.

Spice and Wolf isn't really focused on the romance or the comedy, it's focused on medieval economics - but it's there throughout in all the little interactions between the leads. They're adorable. Show's great besides, too.

Tonari no Seki-kun
is a hilarious short anime (half-sized episodes) about a girl obsessing over her classmate who's always goofing off in class. It's not explicitly romantic, but she's totally crushing.

Working (or the more googlable Wagnaria in the west) is a fun romcom with that rarest of things: a sense of progress throughout. Characters learn, and change, and it's got a fantastic last season that takes its time to tie up all the loose ends. Some folks don't like the main character, but his obvious flaws greatly diminish as the series goes on, and everyone around him is a ton of fun.

and I'll also throw another vote onto the pile for Ore Monogatari.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

someone a little while ago in this thread suggested kaiji to me and i tried episode 1 a little while ago and despite requiring sleep i ended up watching the next 5 episodes without stopping

the pacing's a little slow but i'm really digging the music and silly stylized art.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

kaiji owns, and it just keeps getting slower and better.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

someone a little while ago in this thread suggested kaiji to me and i tried episode 1 a little while ago and despite requiring sleep i ended up watching the next 5 episodes without stopping

the pacing's a little slow but i'm really digging the music and silly stylized art.

Kaiji is the only show where an episode can literally be just taking like one step forward and saying one line and you'll still be staring intensely at the screen the whole time. I don't think I've ever seen anything else master dramatic tension like that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

holy poo poo kaiji got real hosed up real fast

i dig it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's this Nightcore cover song I've been listening to, "Black Magic" that makes me think it could be a good premise for an anime/LN what with LWA and Scum's Wish airing.

You got this Witch that's from this hidden secret clan of Witches living in human society who culturally brew love potions to attract and keep mates because the last time they thought they had true love it led to the trials, inquisition and burning at the stake.

So you have the boy in question who likes the Witch girl and knows she's a witch but pretends he doesn't to protect her; the girl herself who doesn't want to force the boy to drink the potion because she really loves him; and then rivals who don't really care for him but scheme to try to get him to drink the potion as being a central source of conflict; plus the Clan Elder's who want to protect their society and millennia year old culture even if the practice is barbaric and in this modern age obviously unnecessary.

Comedic option would be that the love potion doesn't actually work if the target actually loves you like in that one early Power Rangers episode with the brain villain and witch villain; but none of the men have ever said anything; but I've been really digging Scum's Wish so a more serious melodramatic take on this could be my thing.

Anything like this or am I being incredibly over specific?

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Ajin was pretty mint. Anything similar that I can burn through? Felt like it was really similar to Tokyo Ghoul, but more emphasis on realism in the scenario of a super-human, if that means anything in an anime.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bricklord posted:

Ajin was pretty mint. Anything similar that I can burn through? Felt like it was really similar to Tokyo Ghoul, but more emphasis on realism in the scenario of a super-human, if that means anything in an anime.

I haven't seen Ajin but Concrete Revolutio is about alternate universe 1960s-70s Japan where the big difference from our world is that superhumans exist.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tokyo ghoul but not trash? You seen parasyte yet?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I wrapped up Mob Psycho 100 and my thoughts are, I wish I could be 1/10th as cool as Reigen. That guy is alright.

Reigen Arakata was one of my favorite characters in all of Anime and I knew a lot of people would love him when I read the manga. Nice to see people love Mob Psycho so much. It doesn't get as much hype as ONE's other work but I find it as good if not better.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

DamnGlitch posted:

Tokyo ghoul but not trash? You seen parasyte yet?

Seen Parasyte and loved it.

Droyer posted:

I haven't seen Ajin but Concrete Revolutio is about alternate universe 1960s-70s Japan where the big difference from our world is that superhumans exist.

Added Concrete Revolutio to my sad but personal list of shows to watch. Don't let me down. Ajin was really good actually, it's a Netflix original I believe so it's available on there. Two seasons! Anti-climatic ending but really solid throughout.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Conrevo is good but if you're looking for realism it might not scratch that itch, just a warning.

But by all means please watch it. It's really good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good god I'm watching Maoyu right now, like 8 eps in, and what I thought was going to be a cheesy dungeon and dragons rip-off turned into a complex take on utilitarianism in medieval societies, from four plot planting to the unfairness of serfdom. I think they've just introduced credit default swaps based on wheat and I'm about to lose my mind wow.

edit; well futures securities anyway, real Wall Street poo poo.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 26, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Read the Akira Ishida/CompAce manga version if you can, because the artwork in that is 1000% better and obviously contains way more story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shageletic posted:

Good god I'm watching Maoyu right now, like 8 eps in, and what I thought was going to be a cheesy dungeon and dragons rip-off turned into a complex take on utilitarianism in medieval societies, from four plot planting to the unfairness of serfdom. I think they've just introduced credit default swaps based on wheat and I'm about to lose my mind wow.

edit; well futures securities anyway, real Wall Street poo poo.

you should stop watching it because it's not that great

the manga version is very good, and has a much better artstyle with a pretty crazy good swathe of character designs

I really like the designs of the Giants and the Beastmen.

edit: sixteen english volumes are available via Bookwalker. Earlier chapters can be found on the manga reader site of your choice, but I recommend buying the volumes as well of course since the translations are generally better and also go much farther than the scanlations.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 26, 2017

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I been watching some Ushio no Tora and its pretty generic so far. I know its an older Shounen series but it really hasn't aged well. I mean this may sound weird because the production is new but it still feels old. The shounen tropes/story telling in this have been done to death now. Unless you are like a One Piece or Naruto with a very different setting or something unique it's not worth following. I do like the 90s artstyle but the main character Ushio legit looks like a unfinished sketch or like a background character in any other school anime.

All the episodes follow the same formula. Meet someone new and there is a demon who has an issue with them. Ushio and his friends somehow get involved. Ushio and Tora work together to defeat the demon. I made it up to 6 episodes so far is it worth continuing? I think the first "major" arc starts in the next episode but not totally sure.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love Ushio and Tora but if you aren't digging it from the start nothing that comes up is gonna change your mind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Insofar as Ushio and Tora does anything clever and original, it's mostly related to the main villain, who is staggeringly creepy in a very specific way I haven't seen anywhere else. Also his/her/its ultimate fate is really neat and appropriate.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I'll give it a few more episodes because I have yet to see any major arc so far and dropping it would kinda be unfair.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The entire bridge part of the starside hotel arc in kaiji is the single cruelest and most brutal sequence of events I've ever seen in a TV show and there wasn't even any blood. I am trying to get all my friends to watch kaiji too now, thanks adtrw friends for bringing kaiji to my attention.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Just quit my new job after like 3 weeks because it made my feet hurt a lot. Rewatching Welcome to the NHK to feel camaraderie in my failure, are there any other animes that are good for this particular feeling of being an utter waste

Seen most of the main ones like Eva etc

ninjewtsu posted:

The entire bridge part of the starside hotel arc in kaiji is the single cruelest and most brutal sequence of events I've ever seen in a TV show and there wasn't even any blood. I am trying to get all my friends to watch kaiji too now, thanks adtrw friends for bringing kaiji to my attention.

Kaiji's ED is loving amazing

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

klapman posted:

Just quit my new job after like 3 weeks because it made my feet hurt a lot. Rewatching Welcome to the NHK to feel camaraderie in my failure, are there any other animes that are good for this particular feeling of being an utter waste

if manga ok
goodnight punpun, saikyou densestu kurosawa

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Kurosawa manga is better because then you get new Kurosawa with hobo philosopy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

klapman posted:

Tatami Galaxy, it's about loving up in college

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Countblanc posted:

Tatami Galaxy, it's about loving up in college

This and Kaiji are probably the best answers you could ask for.

Since you mention Eva I assume high concept stuff is fine too, so I'll also recommend Steins;Gate. It's not the gut-slam that NHK is but it's about a guy's transformation from a loser with delusions of grandeur into actually living up to his delusions, which is a fun arc.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
thanks for the recs, heard about Punpun before but if it's being suggested alongside Kurosawa, the manga that got me interested in reading manga at all, then I'm deffo giving it a shot. That + Tatami Galaxy ought to help soothe this burn - and I might even rewatch Kaiji just so I can listen to that ED in context again

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
(cross-post from Anime Chat Thread):
I'm watching anime again for the first time since 2003.

So far, I have watched and enjoyed Cowboy Bebop (A+), Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood (A-), Gurren Lagann (B+), Samurai Champloo(B), and Attack On Titan (B-). I've also tried a couple of other shows, like Trigun, but they didn't really stick with me. Other anime-influenced shows I've enjoyed include Steven Universe and Avatar - The Last Airbender.

Preferences
- technically solid animation
- good music
- gets 'good' fast - (nothing that "really gets good in season 4", please!)
- good english dub
- available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

None of these rules are dealbreakers. I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I figured I'd start here.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

One Punch Man is on netflix and it is extremely good, don't know about the dub.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eela6 posted:

(cross-post from Anime Chat Thread):
I'm watching anime again for the first time since 2003.

So far, I have watched and enjoyed Cowboy Bebop (A+), Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood (A-), Gurren Lagann (B+), Samurai Champloo(B), and Attack On Titan (B-). I've also tried a couple of other shows, like Trigun, but they didn't really stick with me. Other anime-influenced shows I've enjoyed include Steven Universe and Avatar - The Last Airbender.

Preferences
- technically solid animation
- good music
- gets 'good' fast - (nothing that "really gets good in season 4", please!)
- good english dub
- available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

None of these rules are dealbreakers. I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I figured I'd start here.

REDLIIIIIIIIINEEE!

Seriously, watch Redline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I don't know what streaming services it's on, if any, but check out Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Great show, awesome animation, and a dub I prefer over the original Japanese.