Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My shop is in a drastic need of a clean up and reset. I've got a stack of unfinished wand stands and a half built cabinet and so much sawdust and all my tools everywhere and its starting to drive me nuts but I keep starting a new project and finishing it with no weekend left :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I added some new stuff to my shop over the last year and I have a lot of wood, some on shelves and some just laying on the floor in different places. I've been wanting to build some furniture but every operation is move something to do something and I couldn't stand it anymore.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

wormil posted:

I added some new stuff to my shop over the last year and I have a lot of wood, some on shelves and some just laying on the floor in different places. I've been wanting to build some furniture but every operation is move something to do something and I couldn't stand it anymore.

When it gets to this point you just HAVE to start chucking things or get a lot better storage. I probably spent 2-3 years not doing enough projects for this same reason, shuffling poo poo around is infuriating.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im currently going through and making a whole bunch of boxes/drawers to put poo poo in so I dont have a bunch of crap lying around with no real place to call home, only I keep on having to move more poo poo around to make space to make the boxes and yeah I can understand your frustration.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
For those that asked about my bookshelf plans, here is a dimensioned drawing that I worked from.

If you're interested in the exact construction details, it's basically constructed exactly the same as this dresser but shaped differently. The only thing not borrowed from that construction is the shelves, which are doubled tenoned to the front leg and notched into the back (unglued).

For Family day long weekend I did a father son project with my Dad, we built two sets of closet organizers, one for the nursery and one for the master bedroom. It's built out of maple veneer plywood, edgebanded, then painted. It's all put together with pocket screws. We started on Friday morning and moved them into place this morning.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So I now have a bit of lumber that's a little over 3/4" thick. I want to make a simple little "shop cart" that has wheels and a top and maybe an option for a shelf underneath. Any good plans out there for something like this? It seems like the sort of thing that shouldn't be too hard to make, but I'm not sure of the joinery (?) aspect of it. Like, do I just cut slots in the top and then stick the legs up through those, do I need stretchers going between the legs? Any links are appreciated.

I'd preferably like to learn a new skill of some sort, so just screwing some wood together is less appealing to me than something that is a little more technical.

Maybe this?

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 20, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tres Burritos posted:

So I now have a bit of lumber that's a little over 3/4" thick. I want to make a simple little "shop cart" that has wheels and a top and maybe an option for a shelf underneath. Any good plans out there for something like this? It seems like the sort of thing that shouldn't be too hard to make, but I'm not sure of the joinery (?) aspect of it. Like, do I just cut slots in the top and then stick the legs up through those, do I need stretchers going between the legs? Any links are appreciated.

I'd preferably like to learn a new skill of some sort, so just screwing some wood together is less appealing to me than something that is a little more technical.

Maybe this?

If I were doing something like that, I'd probably start by making some square legs by ripping a couple pieces to ~1.5" and then gluing them up. Then make a couple mitered-corner boxes to function as aprons/stretchers with rabbets for some 1/2" ply (for the top and the shelf--the shelf would have to be notched in the corners to fit around the legs) and rabbet/dado the legs so they sit flush (or have a 1/4" reveal--that'd probably look pretty good, too). For wheels, just get casters and screw them to the bottom of the legs.

Edit: or the thing you linked. That works, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

For Family day long weekend I did a father son project with my Dad, we built two sets of closet organizers, one for the nursery and one for the master bedroom. It's built out of maple veneer plywood, edgebanded, then painted.

Why would you pay extra for the maple veneer plywood, and then do edge-banding, if you're going to paint it anyway? It's not like the veneer provides any extra strength or a substantially better surface compared to a decent birch plywood or whatever.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dutch angle on an almost complete Dutch toolchest.

All that's left is dividing up the top section to keep the tools from banging into each other, and then painting the whole deal once the weather warms up. I'll probably also build a little stand for it, which may affect how I plan the dimensions for my work bench.

In other news, due to a theft, I'm on the market for a new set of bench chisels. Probably going to go with the Narex set from Lee Valley, especially since they have the free shipping special on right now, but I'm open to suggestions.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why would you pay extra for the maple veneer plywood, and then do edge-banding, if you're going to paint it anyway? It's not like the veneer provides any extra strength or a substantially better surface compared to a decent birch plywood or whatever.

It actually is a far better surface than looking at potentially splintery 6 ply; it's the right way to do it. Giving a potentially splintery structure to a child is what I was yelling at wormil about several weeks ago. Made it for the shop, hell yeah all day long.
Also Maple and birch are pretty interchangeable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

It actually is a far better surface than looking at potentially splintery 6 ply; it's the right way to do it. Giving a potentially splintery structure to a child is what I was yelling at wormil about several weeks ago. Made it for the shop, hell yeah all day long.
Also Maple and birch are pretty interchangeable.

If you cover it with paint, then it's not going to splinter, not unless it gets worn enough to expose the plywood. What am I missing here?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
My plan this weekend was to finally make a shooting board because I was tired of failing at dovetails.

Alas, all I managed to do was resaw a 2" piece of cherry into two 1" pieces. I tell you, resawing by hand sucks the most. I'm exhausted.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ColdPie posted:

Dutch angle on an almost complete Dutch toolchest.

All that's left is dividing up the top section to keep the tools from banging into each other, and then painting the whole deal once the weather warms up. I'll probably also build a little stand for it, which may affect how I plan the dimensions for my work bench.

In other news, due to a theft, I'm on the market for a new set of bench chisels. Probably going to go with the Narex set from Lee Valley, especially since they have the free shipping special on right now, but I'm open to suggestions.

On chisels: I'm happy with my Stanley sweethearts and I think they are the best "mid range" chisel out there. Narex has an anecdotally spotty reputation, but many swear by them and I have no personal experience with them.

On the tool chest: I've been sitting mine alternately on a festool systainer stack, and a sawbench. My plans are to build a sawbench that is just the right size for the tool chest to sit on.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

If you cover it with paint, then it's not going to splinter, not unless it gets worn enough to expose the plywood. What am I missing here?
Likely answer: C/d Maple plywood is cheaper at Home Depot than c/d poplar, sandeply, or birch. I use it when I am making paint grade, too.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Skippy Granola posted:

My plan this weekend was to finally make a shooting board because I was tired of failing at dovetails.

Alas, all I managed to do was resaw a 2" piece of cherry into two 1" pieces. I tell you, resawing by hand sucks the most. I'm exhausted.

Honestly when I got into this hobby, I at no point thought to myself 'yes, physical exhaustion is going to be a limiting factor', even though I was going 'yeah I want to do a bunch of stuff by hand'. Ripping a 16" piece of douglas fir 2x4 took me way longer than I care to admit, even with a decent saw.

Speaking of (Japanese) saws, I picked up a few more. I got a Shark Ryoba, a Shark Dovetail/detail saw, and a Z-Saw Kataba.

I much prefer my older Gyokucho Ryoba to the Shark one after trying both out. I really do like the little Shark detail saw, and so far the Z-saw Kataba is a nice all-around smaller backless saw, which is nice when trying to saw against a flat surface. I have a pair of larger Shark general carpentry saws that I really like as well.

GEMorris posted:

On chisels: I'm happy with my Stanley sweethearts and I think they are the best "mid range" chisel out there. Narex has an anecdotally spotty reputation, but many swear by them and I have no personal experience with them.

On the tool chest: I've been sitting mine alternately on a festool systainer stack, and a sawbench. My plans are to build a sawbench that is just the right size for the tool chest to sit on.

I also have a set of the Stanley Sweethearts and am pretty happy with them. Can't really compare them to much else other than a random japanese chisel I got at woodcraft (and it performs similarly enough that I use it interchangably for general bench work.)

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 21, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gently caress sanding.

gently caress it so hard.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Looks like a winner to me. Woodsmith and Wood Mag have done shop carts a bunch of times. You can google and probably figure them out from the pictures.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Giving a potentially splintery structure to a child is what I was yelling at wormil about several weeks ago.

Consider using more words next time, you went off message at "loving monstrosity." "The child" is fine, no boo-boos. She told me they would gradually transition into Autocad and leave manual drafting behind so I didn't want to put a lot of resources into a box that would be left at school 24/7 for 2 years then maybe never used again.

NPR Journalizard posted:

gently caress sanding.

gently caress it so hard.

Every dollar put into reducing sanding time is money well spent IMO.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

Looks like a winner to me. Woodsmith and Wood Mag have done shop carts a bunch of times. You can google and probably figure them out from the pictures.

Consider using more words next time, you went off message at "loving monstrosity." "The child" is fine, no boo-boos. She told me they would gradually transition into Autocad and leave manual drafting behind so I didn't want to put a lot of resources into a box that would be left at school 24/7 for 2 years then maybe never used again.

Ok. Did I say that? lol

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

wormil posted:

Every dollar put into reducing sanding time is money well spent IMO.

So along those lines I picked up a card scraper recently. Any pro tips? I know sharpening them is simple but can be tricky.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I can't sharpen them to save my life. I wish I could. Might buy new scrapers, maybe I have a bum set. Be nice to have some thick ones.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hubis posted:

So along those lines I picked up a card scraper recently. Any pro tips? I know sharpening them is simple but can be tricky.

Nah, as long as it's properly sharpened it'll work great.

Just remember to flatten the edge with a fine oilstone first. Set it in the vise or better yet a saw vise, give it a couple passes with the burnisher straight across, then a couple passes at about 5 degrees off horizontal.

Also if you wet the grain very lightly and let it dry, it'll raise the teeth a bit and give a much smoother finish.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

Likely answer: C/d Maple plywood is cheaper at Home Depot than c/d poplar, sandeply, or birch. I use it when I am making paint grade, too.

This is the answer, it's the cheapest plywood I would consider painting. The edge banding makes it look like a finished product, not like some hack job with painted plywood edges.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hubis posted:

wormil posted:

I can't sharpen them to save my life. I wish I could. Might buy new scrapers, maybe I have a bum set. Be nice to have some thick ones.
Bahco scrapers are probably the best brand around if you end up struggling with lovely chinese scrapers.

The most important thing is to buy a real burnisher (Crown is good). Screwdrivers/drill bits/etc barely work and usually mangle the edge because they're not hard or smooth enough. Also, making a simple jig to make sure you're actually polishing the edge 90 degrees to the face is really helpful, and makes the burr easier to raise.
The actual burnishing almost happens by itself if the prep is good enough. I usually do one pass on the bench flat against the face, and then two normal passes at about 5 degrees off horizontal. You'll get a million answers here, but they all generally work fine.

This is probably one of the best videos about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KqPFQHqWJg
(at the very end, he shows using a block to hold the scraper 90 degrees to the stone. That's the best way to get a perfect edge with the file as well rather than the weird method he showed with the block in the vise)

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 21, 2017

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow

Hypnolobster posted:

This is probably one of the best videos about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KqPFQHqWJg
(at the very end, he shows using a block to hold the scraper 90 degrees to the stone. That's the best way to get a perfect edge with the file as well rather than the weird method he showed with the block in the vise)

https://youtu.be/Nz6EpQu2HRo

This "Scraper Sharpening with William Ng" was making the rounds for a while.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
This is a weird question.

I have some small gaps in my workbench where my laminations weren't great. What should I use to fill that, assuming I want something that won't gently caress up a plane when I go to resurface it later?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Falcon2001 posted:

This is a weird question.

I have some small gaps in my workbench where my laminations weren't great. What should I use to fill that, assuming I want something that won't gently caress up a plane when I go to resurface it later?

Saw dust mixed with wood glue spread into the cracks and sanded smooth? That way it's essentially the same material.

Goon approved even if it's just for the fence? The rails are super long, which will be tight in our garage, and I figure I could always swap the fence and rails onto a nicer saw at some point in time.

Falco fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 22, 2017

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Falco posted:

Goon approved even if it's just for the fence?

Definitely. I have that fence and it's great. Also over $300 new.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I have a very similar fence gathering dust.

Here's a noobie fuckup for you guys to laugh at:

I found this for 200 bucks on craigslist:

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0562z_m.pdf

3hp Grizzly dust collector with dual bags.

I snatched it.

Now I'm finding out that it requires 240v and I have no idea how to make that happen.

:downs:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get 240V service installed into your work space?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Falco posted:

Saw dust mixed with wood glue spread into the cracks and sanded smooth? That way it's essentially the same material.

Even easier with plane shavings if you can. Get some shavings and dredge them in glue, shove them in the gaps for bulk and then stuff the now smaller gaps with smaller shavings/dust.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I have a very similar fence gathering dust.

Here's a noobie fuckup for you guys to laugh at:

I found this for 200 bucks on craigslist:

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0562z_m.pdf

3hp Grizzly dust collector with dual bags.

I snatched it.

Now I'm finding out that it requires 240v and I have no idea how to make that happen.

:downs:

Why is the fence collecting dust?

drat, those mistakes are the worst. Especially when you feel like you scored a good deal. This may not universally be true, but it sure seems anything above around 2.5hp on a motor tends to jump to 240v

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you are on the fence about chisels, the Stanley sweethearts are available through amazon, and Amazon has a coupon code for 8.62 off for today only. The Stanley Sweetheart shoulder plane is also very decent for the price (although as with chisels the higher price options from veritas and lie Nielsen are better)

Coupon code is bigthanks

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Or be like me and try to preorder Nier Automata and Super Bomberman R only to find out that video games aren't eligible, but a Starrett combo square with a satin chrome finish definitely is, and order all three.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Phone posted:

Get 240V service installed into your work space?

I rent.

I guess that's super pertinent as far as information goes.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

My parents went to New Zealand and, being supportive of my hobby, brought me two small pieces of 45000 year old Kauri wood.

According to the wee certificate of authenticity that came with it, this wood is salvaged from very old fallen trees preserved in bogs in northern New Zealand. The wood itself is very close-grained and tropical, with extremely narrow and wavy slow-growth rings. I tried to pare a very small shaving from it to see how it works, and it feels quite brash and porous, a little bit like new-growth mahogany.

Anyway, I wanted to share a neat wood with you guys and see if you had any ideas for what to do with such a small quantity of this interesting stuff. I am thinking of either a small carving, or maybe jewelry? Either way it's pretty cool I think

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could maybe make a couple of pipes out of it? If you know any smokers.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rip it into pen blanks and turn. 45,000 year old pens.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

Rip it into pen blanks and turn. 45,000 year old pens.

Hm, I don't have a lathe but I'm a pretty dab hand with a drawknife. Maybe they could be a little rustic and non-cylindrical. Good idea!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Get a lathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Skippy Granola posted:

Hm, I don't have a lathe but I'm a pretty dab hand with a drawknife. Maybe they could be a little rustic and non-cylindrical. Good idea!

That would add to the Cro-Magnon Flintstones authenticity!