Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

stereobreadsticks posted:

Yeah, I never really thought of Eco as an especially difficult author, and of the novels I've read from him I think the Name of the Rose is the most accessible. Foucault's Pendulum and Baudolino have kind of slow starts that almost feel like intentional obstacles to keep less dedicated readers from getting to the good stuff, and the Prague Cemetery is off putting just because the main character is such a terrible person, but I don't remember anything in the Name of the Rose that would keep me from recommending it to just about anyone.

Eco was concerned with his books becoming pop culture for some kind of "wrong reason" so he actively wrote difficult passages into the early parts of his books (e.g., Adso describing the church door in fervent detail).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I wish i could describe church doors in fervent detail :(

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

JustAurora posted:

Read some of his short stories. Welcome to the Monkey House.

I just finished this recently and can say I enjoyed it very much (except for the first story in the collection).

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

DuhSal posted:

I just finished this recently and can say I enjoyed it very much (except for the first story in the collection).

I just read God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater as my second Vonnegut. (My first was Mother Night.) I didn't like it as much as I liked MN, but it was still really good, especially the very end.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
We are Legion (We Are Bob) Excellent book. I don't normally get into Sci-Fi but I finished this book in about 2 days. It reminds me of the humor of Hitchhikers Guide but alot heavier on the SciFi. It's a fun read.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Flaggy posted:

We are Legion (We Are Bob) Excellent book. I don't normally get into Sci-Fi but I finished this book in about 2 days. It reminds me of the humor of Hitchhikers Guide but alot heavier on the SciFi. It's a fun read.

I have also chewed through this book and I enjoyed it. Little heavy-handed in places but whatever, it was four dollars and I enjoyed it

Doctor Smiles
Jul 26, 2007

I bonk all night,
and I bonk all day.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, moving on to Roadside Crosses by Jeffrey Deaver. Anansi Boys was pretty good, gotta say.

Doctor Smiles fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 28, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Eternity Artifact by L. E. Modesitt. I'm a sucker for the specific subgenre of sci-fi revolving around an isolated expedition to the first alien ruins/artifacts humanity has found that has the aliens themselves absent, but dear Lord the constant "religion is bad, especially Islam" preaching got old fast and distracted from some reasonably interesting characters and plot. Not bad on the whole, but the villain having no character beyond "hates women and freedom because Muslim" was tedious and always skippable.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 28, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished The Murder of Roger Ackyroyd by Agatha Christie. It's the least well known of her most famous 3 books (with Murder on the Orient Express and And Then There Were None).

short, precise, intricate, very good. If you read all three of those books you'll never be sure you know who the murderer is before the last page again.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cythereal posted:

The Eternity Artifact by L. E. Modesitt. I'm a sucker for the specific subgenre of sci-fi revolving around an isolated expedition to the first alien ruins/artifacts humanity has found that has the aliens themselves absent, but dear Lord the constant "religion is bad, especially Islam" preaching got old fast and distracted from some reasonably interesting characters and plot. Not bad on the whole, but the villain having no character beyond "hates women and freedom because Muslim" was tedious and always skippable.

The best part is that you no longer have to read any Modesitt. I mean, you can if you want, but each book reads like an expy of the ones before (it was China before it was Islam, and evangelical Christianity before that, fyi). Minor differences between the sci-fi and fantasy lines, but only minor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ulmont posted:

The best part is that you no longer have to read any Modesitt. I mean, you can if you want, but each book reads like an expy of the ones before (it was China before it was Islam, and evangelical Christianity before that, fyi). Minor differences between the sci-fi and fantasy lines, but only minor.

I've enjoyed a few of Modesitt's books, notably The Magic Engineer, but Eternity Artifact is just blah. The actual core plot isn't bad and the three main good-guy protagonists are decently interesting, but my God all everyone feels the need to constantly preach about why religion in general and especially Islam are evil and incompatible with freedom and democracy and science and respecting women.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just finished The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. This is a really interesting exploration of how knowledge builds in science, and how change overs in the larger conceptual models used by scientists to solve problems during "normal" (non revolutionary) periods occur. There is an interesting discussion to be had in how scientists on either side of one of these paradigm shifts have difficulty communicating about the nature of their disagreement because of their overall different processing of knowledge through their respective frameworks.

At least, that's how I understood it, being no philosopher.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
read popper next

e: here's a breakdown of his thought wrt philosophy of science.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 2, 2017

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Finally got around to The Handmaid's Tale.

I really like Atwood's prose, especially the voices her characters have. When it comes to speculative fiction critical of religion you don't have to look hard to find lovely writing.

Can't say I'm bothered by the ambiguous ending either. I wonder if that's going to be maintained in the Hulu adaption that's coming soon.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

read popper next

e: here's a breakdown of his thought wrt philosophy of science.

I had read Popper before. And David Hull's book on the social nature of science also nicely complements these two, extending a few themes just barely touched upon by Kuhn.

eudaemaniac
Jun 18, 2014
I've been juggling the following and just finished them all:

• Elizabeth Wein's The Pearl Thief, which is a prequel to Code Name Verity. I read a lot of YA for work but don't enjoy most of it. But! CNV was well-crafted and Pearl Thief is much the same. The narrator's voice is really easy, seemingly effortless chatter-- she reminds me of Nancy Mitford.
  • Jeff Vandermeer's Borne. It was... super good and I don't have anything intelligent to say.
  • Lara Elena Donnelly's Amberlough, which is a queer fantasy spy thriller. Its closest relatives are Swordspoint, which is one of the genre works nearest and dearest to my heart, and then Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. A really excellent debut.
  • And last, Jessa Crispin's Why I Am Not a Feminist which I feel ill-equipped to talk about because I agree with Crispin at large but find her something like Sady Doyle if she managed to grow a leftist conscience. Stop thinkpiecing already

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
I read Microcosmic God and The Coffin recently. Both were amazing short stories. Microcosmic God was a very Sci Fi type of story of a man who created his own race but then has them turn on him and his whole world gets messed up. The Coffin was a really cool piece by Ray Bradbury which is about a man who is preparing a coffin and falls into it himself, what follows is his funeral and the experience he undergoes while in his coffin. Both are great and only about 30 pages long.Check them out if you get the chance.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Magnifico: The Brilliant Life and Violent Times of Lorenzo de' Medici. I went into it not knowing much about the family aside from their patronage of the arts, and came out learning a lot about the political landscape of the Italian city-states in the 15th century. The book's treatment of its subject is mostly even-handed, acknowledging the pros and cons of life under Medici rulership, and the different interpretations of Lorenzo's own rule. The only exception is the treatment of the Pazzi conspiracy, where the author is understandably sympathetic to Lorenzo and antipathetic to the Pazzis and Pope Sixtus IV. I recommend reading up on this stuff, even if you don't use this book in particular.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Conclave by Robert Harris

Robert Harris is a sort of go to when I've been burnt out reading too much but am ready to get back into it again. Always a good easy read but solidly written and often in interesting historical settings. Conclave is contemporary but is a reliable page turner about a new Pope being elected with a few twists and turns along the way although the major one at the end was pretty far fetched and ridiculous in my opinion. Not his best work (I still like Fatherland and his Cicero series for that) but worth picking up if you want something light and entertaining.

Started reading The Last Policeman based on a few things said in this thread. Not loving it so far, the writing is so so and it feels a bit cliche, but the idea is interesting so will persevere. If it doesn't take I might try reading some of the Lehane books with the Gone Baby Gone characters or Natchez Burning by Greg Iles. Don't know too much about either but feel like some crime fiction in the True Detective type mold. Open to suggestions here...

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Started reading The Last Policeman based on a few things said in this thread. Not loving it so far, the writing is so so and it feels a bit cliche, but the idea is interesting so will persevere.

Me, too. It's a bit repetitive so far, about 1/4 of the way through. Only a few clues revealed, but a whole lot of "ugh why bother" toward the protagonist. Eventually that'll sink in for the reader.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished To the Lighthouse. Brilliant.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Just finished Plath's The Bell Jar and Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. I loved them both. I'm moving on to Sanderson's The Way of Kings next.

Doctor Smiles posted:

Just finished Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, moving on to Roadside Crosses by Jeffrey Deaver. Anansi Boys was pretty good, gotta say.

I got about 30 pages into Anansi Boys and just couldn't deal with how uncomfortable the main character was (odd since I just finished Plath, I know). It's still on my nightstand but I haven't touched it in months. Do things change much?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Ewar Woowar posted:

If it doesn't take I might try reading some of the Lehane books with the Gone Baby Gone characters or Natchez Burning by Greg Iles. Don't know too much about either but feel like some crime fiction in the True Detective type mold. Open to suggestions here...

If you haven't already, I would read the first three Penn Cage books by Greg Iles before reading Natchez Burning. There's a lot of backstory in there that is mentioned in Natchez Burning without much explanation.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Just finished reading For My Legionaries by Corneliu Codreanu and this has some striking parallels to today's political environment. Chilling

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

musclecoder posted:

If you haven't already, I would read the first three Penn Cage books by Greg Iles before reading Natchez Burning. There's a lot of backstory in there that is mentioned in Natchez Burning without much explanation.

I downloaded the preview on amazon and it seems pretty straight forward- are the previous ones related to the setting or the characters? If they're a lot of the same characters I'll start at the beginning. Provided they're worth a read?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Shining. I liked King a lot at a younger age, but I always figured the fact that I had seen the Kubrick movie would wreck the book. I sucked it up, read he whole thing this week and absolutely loved it.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Honestly, if you can get over the inherent preconceptions about a book about monks then Name of the Rose is just really enjoyable and engaging.

I finally finished The System of the World and therefore the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle earlier this week. I definitely felt like it was the slowest of the 3 books. Maybe just because I couldn't follow - and didn't really care enough to follow - a lot of the descriptions of London streets and buildings.

I think I will tackle The Name of the Rose next instead of the Sprawl trilogy, but not for some time. The last book I read that featured monks was Stephenson's Anathem and I mostly enjoyed it - not that I expect this to be similar.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Just finished The Night Gwen Stacy Died. It was kind of interesting to see how the characters get attached to the mythology of that old comic book story and how it affects their reckless actions in the story. That said, it's also based around a doomed romance that I never rooted for to begin with. "Gwen" comes off less like she's trying to escape the stifling confines of small town life and more like she ran away for kicks, while "Peter" is emotionally needy and off-putting because of his abandonment issues. The prose is pretty good at poetic imagery, and it's short enough not to overstay its welcome, but I can't really recommend it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Colonel Taint posted:

I finally finished The System of the World and therefore the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle earlier this week. I definitely felt like it was the slowest of the 3 books. Maybe just because I couldn't follow - and didn't really care enough to follow - a lot of the descriptions of London streets and buildings.

I think I will tackle The Name of the Rose next instead of the Sprawl trilogy, but not for some time. The last book I read that featured monks was Stephenson's Anathem and I mostly enjoyed it - not that I expect this to be similar.

Good choice. Name of the Rose owns bones

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Mechanical (The Alchemy Wars #1) by Ian Tregillis

It's a faster-paced Game of Thrones, only it's Dutch Protestants vs. French Catholics. The Dutch have the power of alchemy and robot slaves, and the French are doing all they can to not get totally destroyed by those scientific/magic advances.

I liked it! It's not boring, the fictional world is interesting, and there are enough twists and turns to keep you involved. Grey areas on both sides of the conflict, easy-to-swallow philosophy, some sleazy villains to boo, and some cool heroes to cheer. Can't really ask for much else.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It's a faster-paced Game of Thrones, only it's Dutch Protestants vs. French Catholics. The Dutch have the power of alchemy and robot slaves, and the French are doing all they can to not get totally destroyed by those scientific/magic advances.

I liked it! It's not boring, the fictional world is interesting, and there are enough twists and turns to keep you involved. Grey areas on both sides of the conflict, easy-to-swallow philosophy, some sleazy villains to boo, and some cool heroes to cheer. Can't really ask for much else.

drat bro sounds epic

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The second and last book are both terrific as well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hotbutt posted:

"My name is Jax.

That is the name granted to me by my human masters.

I am a clakker: a mechanical man, powered by alchemy. Armies of my kind have conquered the world - and made the Brasswork Throne the sole superpower.

I am a faithful servant. I am the ultimate fighting machine. I am endowed with great strength and boundless stamina.

But I am beholden to the wishes of my human masters.

I am a slave. But I shall be free."

Hahaha

Then I looked at the reviews, and it got way better because suddenly I feel like I stumbled into a parody dimension:

A character from a satire posted:

[Like many fans of Ian Tregillis, I was first introduced to his work with the Milkweed Triptych, a series about British warlocks versus Nazi super-soldiers in an alternate history of World War II. Then In 2013 I picked up Something More Than Night, a futuristic urban fantasy-type metaphysical hard-boiled detective noir story about angels. That book was a bit of a departure to say the least, but it also solidified Tregillis in my mind as a talented visionary, definitely a rising star to watch.

Now Tregillis returns to alternate history in The Mechanical, outdoing himself once again with an inventive blend of mind-blowing fantasy, history, and existential philosophy. This time we see humble French metallurgy pitted against the demonic alchemy of the Dutch, in a story set in the early 1900s. Back in the 17th century in this alternate timeline, prominent mathematician and scientist Christiaan Huygens changed the face of the world by using magic to develop an army of clockwork automatons capable of intelligent thought but are enslaved to their masters through a series of geasa. This breakthrough discovery ensured the survival of the Calvinist Dutch Empire, for very few found themselves capable of standing against a legion of these tireless and utterly obedient mechanical men called “Clakkers.”

[...]

What can I say but I’m just completely awestruck by the world Tregillis has created here. I know I say that about every one of his novels, but it’s true. No one does alternate history quite like the way he does, always bringing a fresh new twist by blending elements from multiple genres. He offers a whole new vision to steampunk in The Mechanical, presenting a heart-pounding tale of intrigue wrapped around a philosophical core which explores the subject of artificial intelligence and its consequences. The book will no doubt provide fertile ground for plenty of discussion, littered as it is with profound themes examining free will versus determinism, the nature of identity and the purpose of the individual, and at times it even dabbles lightly in religious theory.

Sounds delightfully cerebral, doesn’t it? But don’t let that fool you. True, The Mechanical will give you plenty of existential questions to mull over, but at its heart it is a gripping story brought to life by complex, engaging characters. There’s plenty of action and adventure that will get the blood pumping in your veins. Also, you can never let your guard down when reading a Tregillis novel. No one is ever truly safe (the unfortunate character of Father Luuk Visser can attest to that) and the author clearly has no qualms about taking his story into shocking, brutal territory. Tragedy and bloody violence can befall a character in a Tregillis novel at any time, something I discovered way back when I read Bitter Seeds, so it was a lesson I learned early.

It's wonderful series of absurdities piled up on each other in a pitch-perfect parody of genre idiocy. And it's real!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's wonderful series of absurdities piled up on each other in a pitch-perfect parody of genre idiocy. And it's real!

Meh, gotta read something. I had fun with it. :shrug:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
jesus christ

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Meh, gotta read something. I had fun with it. :shrug:

You'd be better reading nothing, or a shopping list

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

devilwu posted:

Except that he opened his empire to international markets and had a lot of muslims in his administration. In many ways he would have been a better president in my opinion.

he killed sixty-five million people you blockhead

I'm thinking Genghis but eh, complicit

A human heart posted:

You'd be better reading nothing, or a shopping list

hog fat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 28, 2017

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I finally completed the entire Dark Tower series (apart from Wind Through The Keyhole) and I probably have to divide it into two reviews.

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower itself, I am torn on. The first half I found really laborious and slow, the second half is amazing but filled with twists that, although you see them coming, really messed with me emotionally having traveled this far with these characters. I do feel wholly satisfied with the conclusion though.

The Dark Tower series as a whole, I loved. It was such an incredible epic that never goes where you expect it. However, now that I have completed it, I don't know if I see myself reading it again for a long time. I didn't love it enough to get a Dark Tower tattoo or name my kid Roland, but it is one of the series that didn't falter from book to book. It remained consistently strong throughout. Also, I am not really a Stephen King fan apart from these books.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

York_M_Chan posted:

The Dark Tower series as a whole, I loved. It was such an incredible epic that never goes where you expect it. However, now that I have completed it, I don't know if I see myself reading it again for a long time. I didn't love it enough to get a Dark Tower tattoo or name my kid Roland, but it is one of the series that didn't falter from book to book. It remained consistently strong throughout. Also, I am not really a Stephen King fan apart from these books.

You are about to get savaged, my friend.

The Wind Through the Keyhole is really good- did you read the Roland story in one of those Robert Silverberg Legends compilations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

funkybottoms posted:

You are about to get savaged, my friend.

The Wind Through the Keyhole is really good- did you read the Roland story in one of those Robert Silverberg Legends compilations?

For some reason I thought "The Little Sisters of Eluria" was kind of lacking when I read it a few years ago.