Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I will NEVER understand Airdrop. It's the most temperamental thing apple have.
Its kinda useless unless you have other apple devices honestly. I kept forgetting it was a function until I got a Macbook, and now I use it constantly.

Cingulate posted:

Of course it's also surprisingly inconvenient to wirelessly transfer stuff between my Apple cellphone and my Apple laptop.
How though? Normally I have to email/text/facebook message things to myself. Airdrop is a pretty rad way of avoiding that.

The headphone jack removal on the 7 series was the most blatantly anti consumer thing Apple has ever done. It's laughable.
I guess? There's at least the benefit of waterproofing, and I feel cutting cables was going to happen sooner or later. How does this compare to the removal of the ethernet cable and the optical drive on their laptop lines? I think the bigger, if not biggest, sin is making every new Macbook/Macbook Pro Retina completely user unservicable. I don't see any real justification for it. I think thats more anti-consumer than anything.

e: I guess you can divide up that argument any way honestly. Apples gonna apple as long as they got market share I guess.

buglord fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Airdrop is absolutely awesome, when it works. Someone said it was better from the iPhone 6 on out, which would make sense because I'm also on a 5s.

It just refuses to see the other device sometimes, but when it does it's super fast and convenient. I use it all the time to transfer pictures to my Macbook, in situations where I've just taken a picture and want to use it for something. Otherwise it'll just be waiting in my Photos app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not sure if it's better with the 6. In work we had a 5s for testing stuff, my boss had a 6 and I had a 6s+

We could never reliably get airdrop working with the 6 whereas the 5s seemed to be one of the more reliable models for airdrop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The headphone jack removal on the 7 series was the most blatantly anti consumer thing Apple has ever done. It's laughable.
I keep forgetting they really did that. I'll probably need to replace my phone soon and every time I start to consider a new iPhone I have to remind myself I won't be able to use it for music. Guh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TACD posted:

I keep forgetting they really did that. I'll probably need to replace my phone soon and every time I start to consider a new iPhone I have to remind myself I won't be able to use it for music. Guh.

Yeah you can?

You have to use a dongle, but it comes with the phone.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I have gone full Stockholm with a 7 and a 2016 tb mbp but I die a little inside every time I get in my truck and see this.

rally fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've never really had issues with AirDrop outside someone not having their Bluetooth/Wifi enabled first.

That said, iTunes Wifi Sync is hot garbage on any platform.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thwomp posted:

That said, iTunes Wifi Sync is hot garbage on any platform.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Airdrop is better on newer devices and even better on newer devices running the latest OS. When it works it's wonderful.

The problem is when it doesn't work, iCloud Drive is some substandard bullshit so there's no easy way to natively transfer files without surprisingly long wait times for storage to sync. Which really sucks.

I give Apple 30% profit margins on their hardware plus extra money each month for storage and their cloud product is slower than my free Dropbox account from 2011. And that's entirely because Apple won't spend the money to make iCloud Drive better.

I wish Apple would buy Dropbox.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Krispy Kareem posted:

Airdrop is better on newer devices and even better on newer devices running the latest OS. When it works it's wonderful.

The problem is when it doesn't work, iCloud Drive is some substandard bullshit so there's no easy way to natively transfer files without surprisingly long wait times for storage to sync. Which really sucks.

I give Apple 30% profit margins on their hardware plus extra money each month for storage and their cloud product is slower than my free Dropbox account from 2011. And that's entirely because Apple won't spend the money to make iCloud Drive better.

doesn't apple just use AWS for their storage? does dropbox do that too?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the syncing on iCloud is very sketchy. I've had serious issues with iCloud photos not syncing properly the last few weeks

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

They tried, and Dropbox said 'no'.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

rally posted:

I have gone full Stockholm with a 7 and a 2016 tb mbp but I die a little inside every time I get in my truck and see this.

Get a Bluetooth adapter for your car (if you've got a normal aux input, the Anker one with aux & USB is great). Life has been so much better since I got mine. On short drives the phone doesn't even come out of my pocket and I can continue playing whatever music/podcast I've got queued up. If the phone needs charging, nothing else is using the lightning port. Sound quality is great (with the Anker, some other brands seem to be shittier).

TBH I thought I'd miss the headphone port, but life is a lot better with Bluetooth in the car and wireless headphones IMO. Only once have I had to break out the dongle, in a friend's car. I agree that making MBP essentially unserviceable is more anti-consumer... there aren't any practical workarounds there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

I think the worst thing about all this is they knew during their planning that the iphone that was coming out would have a USB-A to Lightning connector, they knew during planning that their MBP was going to have only USB type-c ports and instead of throwing everyone a bone for a generation by keeping the USB-A port so people could hook up their iphone and macbook pro _OR_ at least providing the USB C-A dongle in the macbook pro packaging, they decided, "Nah, just make them buy the stupid dongle. what are they going to do? not buy an apple product?" *insert dr evil group laugh gif*

Ever since the iPhones got OTA updates you haven't needed to plug in your phone

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

They should try again. Maybe add a zero. Or maybe they won't have to since DropBox's business model isn't looking so hot anymore.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah you can?

You have to use a dongle, but it comes with the phone.

Or join us in the future and get a drat Bluetooth headset.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My biggest problem with bluetooth headsets has been "Well, time to go mow the lawn. Let me just grab my... gently caress! Dead battery!"

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Basically been getting in the habit of charging everything every night.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

GoldfishStew posted:

Basically been getting in the habit of charging everything every night.

Or in the middle of the day in the case of the mbp. I do love this machine but holy gently caress, my 2012 non retina crushed its battery life and the battery on that thing was 80% health and had begun to swell.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

Or join us in the future and get a drat Bluetooth headset.
A few years ago I treated myself to a rather nice set of noise-cancelling headphones that are an absolute dream on trains or planes. I don't see why I should have to either have an ugly dongle permanently attached to my phone or buy another set of expensive headphones.

Also, my understanding is that the sound quality over Bluetooth is necessarily worse than over wires? I haven't seen a real in-depth analysis though, and I would be happy to be wrong about this.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TACD posted:

Also, my understanding is that the sound quality over Bluetooth is necessarily worse than over wires? I haven't seen a real in-depth analysis though, and I would be happy to be wrong about this.

It is. An analog connection is lossless in a perfect world (no interference) and quality is limited by the DAC and your amp/speakers/headphones. A Bluetooth audio connection is lossily compressed. Then again, so are the MP3s you're probably listening to. Personally I can't tell the difference between well-encoded VBR MP3s and lossless, but some people can. For Bluetooth it depends on what codec your devices support. aptX even has a lossless version but I don't think iPhone supports aptX, or at least didn't last I checked. SBC has lower quality bit for bit than MP3, and I think it maxes out around 300kbit/s, so your 320kbit MP3s and above will be wasted on it...

Basically, Bluetooth audio is going to be good enough for most people. If you have high-end equipment and a library of very high quality files, personally I would go for avoiding any lossy compression in between since that is money you spent on quality evaporating to thin air just because of the transport. If you just want to listen to Taylor Swift in your Civic or whatever, no one's going to notice.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Besides the fact that your car is going to have wind and tire noise, and will necessarily degrade your listening environment, one plus for wireless is that it avoids the potential for ground loops.

The iPhone doesn't support aptX, but it supports AAC streaming at 256kbps (if the receiver supports it) as well as SBC.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

TACD posted:

Everyone seems to assume so but I've just gone looking and it looks like reasonably modern versions of BT ought to be able to do ok in theory.

CD-DA audio (aka about as good as anyone needs, hopefully that doesn't cause some audiophool to poo poo the thread up with I CAN TOTALLY HEAR 96K GUYS) is about 1.4 Mbps (44100*16*2). According to the Bluetooth website BT 2.1 basic rate is 1Mbps and EDR (extended data rate) is 2Mbps. In a car, in principle, you could just go EDR with no compression.

In other scenarios there's bound to be some overhead, and, more importantly, competition for the ISM band from other transmitters, so you'd probably still want some compression. It doesn't seem like you'd need to go aggressive with it though. Might even be able to do lossless.

With more :effort: it should be possible to figure out what kind of compression real devices use but I'm phone posting and lunchtime is nearly over so welp. (From an iPhone 7! I never hesitated because the only time I ever used the headphone jack on my old 5 was with the bundled headphones, and they still include a pair, so I'm set. My pet theory is that most iPhone customers do the same and this is why Apple knew they could remove the jack.)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure most bluetooth connections are going to use SBC because its a mandatory part of the spec , mp3 and aac are optional
If regular bluetooth could send cd quality uncompressed wave apt-x wouldn't have been invented

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm looking at buying an iMac, but wow are the current offerings bad and outdated. I know MacRumours says don't buy, but do we have any indications about an update? I'm guessing WWDC at the latest, but June is a long way away. (I'm upgrading from a 2012 MBP I've basically trashed.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They might update the iMac but that's it. Mac desktop is done

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Holy moly you aren't kidding. The last Mac Pro (desktop) update was just over three years ago. Mac Mini isn't faring much better. Thats really disappointing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The next Mac Desktop should be a trashcan pro, except the size of a water bottle and with iPad guts.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

IUG posted:

My biggest problem with bluetooth headsets has been "Well, time to go mow the lawn. Let me just grab my... gently caress! Dead battery!"

it takes me like 10 mins to charge my sennheiser momentums to 25% or so tho

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if you're thinking about buying a desktop mac you should wait until the summer imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ugh. I just don't need portability that much and I'd really like something that I'm less likely to ruin by spilling water on because I'm a loving klutz.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you're thinking about buying a desktop mac you should wait until the summer imo

When it’s three and ah half years old instead?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Platystemon posted:

When it’s three and ah half years old instead?

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/20/usb-c-imac-touch-bar-magic-keyboard/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

That sounds aggressively unappealing.

I'm starting to get real jealous of my fiancee's SSD Macbook Air, with my own Macbook Pro taking about 6-7 minutes to get from powered on to a functional desktop. Is it a particularly bad time to be buying SSDs, or are these prices going to be holding for a while yet?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
"Great desktops" "very strategic". poo poo. This is sounding familiar

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
at least they're not making the imac courageous, imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The mac lineup is courageous

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The mac lineup is courageous

No it's brave. Like people call Amy Schumer brave for showing off her body.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arivia posted:

No it's brave. Like people call Amy Schumer brave for showing off her body.

But the important thing is that you’ve found a way to feel even braver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Desktops are done.

All the cool new Windows' desktops are just the last dying gasps of an decedent and rotten platform. Like Nazi jet fighters and V-2 rockets.

Apple needs another 1984 commercial, but this time they're swinging a MacBook into a comically oversized iMac.