Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

This year's project. This used to be a huge pile of rubble about 1/8 acre large. The upper area will be seating and the lower "walled" in area will have veggies on either side of the path. Still working out the logistics of irrigating it.

I want to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Another thing to consider regarding putting beds up against a building is the extra heat. Measuring with thermometers and a temp gun I've noticed my south wall/deck can get 50 degrees Celsius hotter than the ambient temperature. I don't have enough experience to say if that would cook your plants or not, but it seems like some sort of danger zone.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I want to be there.

It is beautiful 99.9786986% of the time. My gardens have habitually suffered however, as we are pretty arid and the sun is pretty damned brutal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sir Bedevere posted:

Another thing to consider regarding putting beds up against a building is the extra heat. Measuring with thermometers and a temp gun I've noticed my south wall/deck can get 50 degrees Celsius hotter than the ambient temperature. I don't have enough experience to say if that would cook your plants or not, but it seems like some sort of danger zone.

This is true. I have a garden bed beneath a cinder block wall and it nukes plants on 100 degree days.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's not the walls heat, it's the reflected waves of light. Put a trellis or even just some mesh between the plants and the wall can help a ton.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It worked! I don't know what to do now. I put 2-3 seeds per cup and the ones in the tuperware are coming through. Do I plant them all now in a bigger thing and let them duke it out or what? I didn't expect this to actually work. I think it's still too cold to put them outside.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It worked! I don't know what to do now. I put 2-3 seeds per cup and the ones in the tuperware are coming through. Do I plant them all now in a bigger thing and let them duke it out or what? I didn't expect this to actually work. I think it's still too cold to put them outside.

Follow the seed packet instructions for how close the plants should be. What are you going to put them in eventually? I think the general rule is to wait until the seedlings get a "true" set of leaves (yours still have their baby leaves), and then transplant. You'll probably want to move them into their final pot when they get a little bigger, then gradually introduce them to the outside a couple hours a day (called "hardening")

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Some of my pepper seedlings just loving refuse to drop the seed coat, it's still pinching together the 'baby' leaves while the first true leaves are trying to push up from between them. I've got a few that are doing pretty well, though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'd get the stuff in the tupperware into some more cups. Fill the cup, make a dimple as deep as the root plus a centimeter, carefully drop the whole thing in root first, add more dirt to fill up the dimple (don't stomp it down), water. Don't bother trying to remove the kitchen roll; it'll just rot away. Unless it's all surplus now, of course.

The plants already in cups, one per cup, will easily do another couple of weeks where they are until they have two pairs of true leaves. You can attempt to transplant one where there are pairs. I'd do that now, before the roots start to grow out instead of just down, though most will probably argue the plant is too fragile now. I've had success just carefully scooping out half of the cup with a spoon.

Start making sure the cups drain properly and let the dirt dry out occasionally to stimulate root growth. Yet water immediately when the plant even slightly starts to droop.

If you put in all seeds simultaneously, I guess you now know not to bother with the tupperware, because the circumstances in the cups apparently were better as they are significantly ahead!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you put in all seeds simultaneously, I guess you now know not to bother with the tupperware, because the circumstances in the cups apparently were better as they are significantly ahead!

It's worked out pretty well all things told. I'll get the tuperware dudes put away in the next few days and I'll wait for some true leaves before I move ahead. Maybe I shouldn't have put 2-3 seeds per cup, I really didn't think they'd take. We've had 1 full day of sun in about 2 weeks (Springtime in Paris), and I haven't made all that much effort to keep the flat super warm. But still here they come! To transplant I'm just going to cut the cups away and add the dirt whole sale to a new spot.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Some of my pepper seedlings just loving refuse to drop the seed coat, it's still pinching together the 'baby' leaves while the first true leaves are trying to push up from between them. I've got a few that are doing pretty well, though.

This is the story of my baby teeth. I had braces for four years from 12-16, and the majority of my teeth were pulled out. 8 of them went in the final bout to allow for the braces. Like father like son I guess!

Schmeichy posted:

Follow the seed packet instructions for how close the plants should be.

This is the biggest problem I have. They suggest practically a meter per plant and I don't have the space for that. I can buy a bunch of pots and let them Battle Royale it out (does that work with plants?) but I really don't have the room to grant them the room the packet wants.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Are there other weeds/fast growing plants that are useful/edible to us? I know we can eat dandelions, though I've never tried, but besides being known as weeds do they actually grow with the tenacity of mint?

Sure. Stinging Nettle can be picked and either boiled or roasted to remove the sting, then eaten like spinach. Rattlesnake Weed, the bane of southern lawns, is a kind of Betony, which you can pull up and eat the roots, tastes like a mild radish. Dandelions can have every part of them eaten, young leaves in a salad, the heads gathered and eaten fresh or made into wine, and the roots can be pulled and roasted, then ground into a chickory-style decaf coffee substitute. All of these weeds are also packed with enough vitamins and nutrients to get you safely and healthily through a starvation event, as well as just being darn healthy.

A weed is just a plant out of place.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can buy a bunch of pots and let them Battle Royale it out (does that work with plants?)
Nah, if two plants per pot is too many, you get two medium growers, or you get one medium plant and one dead one that has been syphoning nutrients away from the survivor for a good chunk of time.

Give at least one plant its own pot, so you can compare if it makes a huge difference for next year. Or vice versa, play safe and give all all the best plants their own pot and have one pot with two plants. Either way you're learning.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just try to carefully ease the seed coat away, use tweezers if you need to.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Are there other weeds/fast growing plants that are useful/edible to us? I know we can eat dandelions, though I've never tried, but besides being known as weeds do they actually grow with the tenacity of mint?
If you ever want to eat dandelions make sure you pick them very young and before they begin to send up flower stalks, apparently they become extraordinarily bitter or something once they begin to sexually mature. I never have managed to have to urge to forage them until it was too late in the season though because they mature super duper fast.. I considered actively growing a crop just for fun in a bed a while back but never got around to it. Fiddlehead fern bracken are pretty good as well if you live somewhere with the right conditions - but it's not wise to eat them in every meal because they build up some toxin or other in your system if you don't allow it to get out of your system first. Fern Brake Soup is one of my favorite korean soups though.

There is a ton of stuff you can forage and eat, but a lot of it depends on your specific location and soil conditions. If you don't even mention where you live, then people can just spitball edible stuff but if I say go find some salmonberries, that won't help you unless you live in the PNW. I know the local edible plants here pretty well, there's wild onions and bulbed flowers and tons of berries stuff you can eat however that said, there's also tons of train tracks and train dumping sites which are just utterly loaded with creosote and lead and other fun stuff, which readily absorbs into any kind of edible plant (although ones that produce edible fruit are safest in a pinch, since they sort of filter it out within the parent's vascular system).

There are also a ton of foraging blogs and facebook groups and poo poo online.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Foraging won't be a hobby of mine. I was just curious about what's out there. I've done some mushroom hunting in the woods (I'm in Paris, France), in the fall, but that's mainly as an excuse to go walking in the woods since we've never found mushrooms, or looked that hard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Mushroom hunting is both very dangerous, and very difficult to do unless you find someone with experience who will take you out once or twice. If you don't have someone who's both foraged for and eaten the mushrooms they're showing you how to forage for - you're gonna loving die, or wish that you had. Seriously.

I am pretty experienced and know how/when to locate a half-dozen or so edible and tasty mushrooms locally, but I also have a pile of books, hundreds of hours in the woods, and I take spore prints of everything I am not 100% sure of (or just leave it behind - which really you ought to do), and I still after spending hours IDing a mushroom I was pretty certain was just a plain edible mushroom, and I tried a piece about half the size of my pinky nail and spent about 16 hours feeling like someone beat my kidneys with a 2x4.

Take a class, or find local folks. Or die.

Foraging for non-mushroom stuff is generally way safer, I've never eaten a single berry off something and spit it out and then been sick for half a day, and with not-mushrooms it's way easier to go "eww this is obviously not edible!" I had some coral mushrooms as a kid that were divine, but it turns out that there are hundreds of coral mushrooms around in the PNW and most of them will at least make you sick, and there's only like a half-dozen that are edible without caveats like "boil it for a few hours and pour out the water" or "edible but tastes like dogshit".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah don't worry, I'm well aware of the risk. We had a couple of books and we found mushrooms but being unable to identify them we let them be. Like I said it was more just an excuse to walk in the woods. On our way out once we saw people who had picked several baskets full and that was cool to have them explain some stuff. I imagine there's other stuff around here, but it's hard enough to get out of the city as it is.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah don't worry, I'm well aware of the risk. We had a couple of books and we found mushrooms but being unable to identify them we let them be. Like I said it was more just an excuse to walk in the woods. On our way out once we saw people who had picked several baskets full and that was cool to have them explain some stuff. I imagine there's other stuff around here, but it's hard enough to get out of the city as it is.
What you do is ask those folks if they'd be interested in going out with you sometime, sounds like you found a prime area already. Get those folks' contact info and you'll probably end up having a lovely afternoon and going home with a ton of mushrooms - we found 65 lbs of chanterelles between 3 people in 3 hours, last time I went out.

Network! Make some new friends! People who hunt mushrooms are generally very obviously doing it for sport or for profit, and it's easy to tell the diffrerence.. The ones doing it for fun are the kind of folks who have nice boats and beach houses that they like to offer stays in, etc.. The ones doing it for profit know way more, but they won't even want you to know what they were doing if you spot them, they're like angry woods ninjas.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have any experience growing haskaps aka honeyberries?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sir Bedevere posted:

Does anyone have any experience growing haskaps aka honeyberries?

I don't know a whole lot but I've had two of them in large pots for a few years. They really seem to like cold weather and bloom extremely early here in zone 7ish PNW. I think they are Hardy to zone 4. Sometimes I get a second crop in the fall. They usually end up looking like they're dead in the summer. I like the taste of the berries but they're not for everyone. If they taste sour then they aren't ripe yet. I can look up the varieties if you want but I think they are smokey blue and honey blue.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks! I've been reading up on them this morning. There are a few varieties coming out either this year or next that produce a larger fruit. I think there are at least 6 varieties you can grow at this point. Once I get back to the pc I will post a few links. Searched 'tissue culture haskap' and a company from PEI showed up with some excellent info.
Edit: A lot of information. The U of Sask has put out some great stuff. http://www.fruit.usask.ca/haskap.html
The PEI folk: http://cameriseberries.com/growers-guide/

Sir Bedevere fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 13, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
CANADIAN GEESE ATE ALL MY CORN STARTS loving gently caress

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Geese are assholes.

Started my seeds. 4 pepper varieties, 4 tomato varieties, cukes, squash, melon, eggplant, onions. Might add broccoli if I have room. Plus planning to direct seed radishes and greens soon. We are still looking at frosty nights for a few weeks here in PA though. Can't wait for spring to quit teasing and show up for good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The local weatherman has said to go ahead and plant your garden here in Albuquerque because he doesn't expect any more nights below freezing. I've started hardening off my tomato and pepper seedlings.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Suspect Bucket posted:

CANADIAN GEESE ATE ALL MY CORN STARTS loving gently caress

kill them all :black101:

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Id like to grow some Caraflex Hybrid cabbage in my raised bed again this year. Are any of the non toxic Flea Beetle control methods effective?

The only thing they ever attack are eggplant leaves and the cabbage. With the eggplant in the garden I can just put Sevin Dust on the leaves, but theres no way Im putting it on the cabbage in my bed.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
WHEW! Just finished setting up my new raised beds!

5 of them at 4'x16', one foot tall, replaced my old 3'x6' beds.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

literally a hog posted:

Id like to grow some Caraflex Hybrid cabbage in my raised bed again this year. Are any of the non toxic Flea Beetle control methods effective?

The only thing they ever attack are eggplant leaves and the cabbage. With the eggplant in the garden I can just put Sevin Dust on the leaves, but theres no way Im putting it on the cabbage in my bed.

Try diatomaceous earth, completely organic, it helped me when I had flea beetles.

I get the green bag from amazon, it is beyond organic, it is food grade.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Neon Noodle posted:

kill them all :black101:

Cant, migratory bird act. Pity, I know a good recipe for canadian goose breast. You marinate it and cook it like steak.

Also, god drat people and 'alkalizing' bullshit. Whenever I want to know the ph of a food, it's impossible to google without running into a torrent of ridiculous bullshit about how alkalai foods are going to cure cancer and blood acidification and a fundamental misunderstanding about how ph works. LOW IS ACID, HIGH IS BASIC, LEMONS ARE NOT IN ANY WAY ALKALAI YOU DUMBSHITS I WILL HEAR NOTHING MORE

Long story longer, just curious what (if any) fruits are naturally basic so as to maybe possibly neutralize the acid in citrus fruit for probably never going to happen experiments in citrus-based alcohol brewing? Cant sleep and got curious about why citrus cider cant be a thing.

Also, Florida's going to get a late freeze. So here's hoping my pea and tomato starts live.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Long story longer, just curious what (if any) fruits are naturally basic so as to maybe possibly neutralize the acid in citrus fruit for probably never going to happen experiments in citrus-based alcohol brewing? Cant sleep and got curious about why citrus cider cant be a thing.

People usually refer to citrus alcoholic drinks as something dumb like Orangina.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cant, migratory bird act. Pity, I know a good recipe for canadian goose breast. You marinate it and cook it like steak.

Also, god drat people and 'alkalizing' bullshit. Whenever I want to know the ph of a food, it's impossible to google without running into a torrent of ridiculous bullshit about how alkalai foods are going to cure cancer and blood acidification and a fundamental misunderstanding about how ph works. LOW IS ACID, HIGH IS BASIC, LEMONS ARE NOT IN ANY WAY ALKALAI YOU DUMBSHITS I WILL HEAR NOTHING MORE

Also, Florida's going to get a late freeze. So here's hoping my pea and tomato starts live.

Looking here apparently the only thing that's alkali is sweet corn and maybe cantaloupe. The whole "alkaline foods" thing is so much woo bullshit and it makes me sad how so many people have such a basic lack of understanding on remedial science.

However, I've definitely seen citrus ciders, I think they're just not done very often. Bold Rock cidery in Virginia has done seasonal citrus ciders. It probably has more to do with what pH level or types of acids the yeasts can and can't metabolize (like I'm pretty sure some strains of yeast can metabolize malic acid, which is found in grapes and apples, but not citric acid from citrus).

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea, echoing that traditional drinking yeasts have a really hard time producing good tasting alcohol in very acidic conditions.

I make a batch of this every summer though. It's cheap and an excellent thirst quencher.
http://skeeterpee.com/recipe

Basically a buttload of sugar, some yeast and yeast nutrients and lemon juice. As mentioned, the yeast can't handle acidic environments very well, so most of the lemon juice goes in at the end. You can carbonate it in coke bottles if you want. Also you can sweeten to your liking, but bottle carbing and sweetening at the same time can be tough if you don't know what you are doing. I usually just leave mine uncarbed and unsweetened and drink it on the rocks. Super refreshing!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Suspect Bucket posted:

Add -blood into the end of your Google query. Possibly -acidification or -alkali.

For citrus and alcohol you need to infuse the citrus like a dry-hopping. The subject comes up fairly often on homebrewing forums and the general consensus is that fermented citrus tastes god awful because once all of the sugar gets converted the remaining flavors are the same ones you get when you brush your teeth and then drink a glass of orange juice.

And while on the subject of pests: geese they are evil and also gently caress snails - brand new beds and they are already chomping on things as they emerge.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Shifty Pony posted:

geese they are evil and also gently caress snails

:crossarms:

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

WHEW! Just finished setting up my new raised beds!

5 of them at 4'x16', one foot tall, replaced my old 3'x6' beds.

Oh wow, I'm going to build some soon and I'm scrapping my idea and stealing yours. Did you use a guide to build those? What are those blocks called and what are the dimensions of that wood and it's type?

It's snowed the last 2 days in Nebraska :(

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Shifty Pony posted:

For citrus and alcohol you need to infuse the citrus like a dry-hopping. The subject comes up fairly often on homebrewing forums and the general consensus is that fermented citrus tastes god awful because once all of the sugar gets converted the remaining flavors are the same ones you get when you brush your teeth and then drink a glass of orange juice.

Yeah, this. Brewing from fruits is tricky because you have to be able to imagine what the fruit would taste like minus all the sugars. For sweet ciders/meads you either add enough sugars such that there will be some left over after the yeast has reached it's alcohol tolerance, or finish your fermentation then neutralize the yeast with a campden tablet and back-sweeten with another infusion of unfermented juice.

As far as flavor profile, limonchello is just the essential oils of the lemons suspended in clean alcohol (vodka, or everclear if you want to do it right) and then back-sweetened with sugar to balance the acidity. The essential oils are really where you get that "lemon" flavor. If you start squeezing out the juice itself you need to be careful not to extract tannins from the pith, seeds, etc. This is why you zest the lemons and try to avoid the pith/juice as much as possible.

As far as fermenting fruits goes, though, yeast actually like acid. Champagne yeast will ferment most happily in the 3.5-3.8 pH range. If you need to raise it, just add some baking soda. Do it a little bit at a time and stir/wait 30m between additions though because you will need to watch for acid buffer reactions that will cause it to swing rapidly through your target area.

The other thing about fermenting fruit is that (depending on the fruit) you may need to add nutrients for the yeast. Making beer is sort of brain-dead because malted barley is practically oozing with nitrogen, which the yeast needs to reproduce and go through it's life cycle (eating sugars, pooping alcohol, and farting CO2). This is actually a bit of a rarity -- when making mead (for example) you have to add Diammonium Phosphate to the must because honey is actually devoid of a lot of the nutrients yeast need.

If I were going to make some kind of citrus experiment, I'd do something like this (total WAG, tweak as necessary)

Wheaty Citrus Braggot
4 lbs Pilsner Malt
4 lbs Unmalted wheat
1 oz Sorachi Ace hops (60m)
0.5 oz Sorachi Ace hops (10m)
0.5 oz Citra hops (10m)
0.5 oz Sorachi hops (flame-out)
0.5 oz Citra hops (flame-out)
4-6 lbs Orange Blossom Honey (flame-out)

Ferment for 10-14 day (primary)
2-4 Weeks (secondary)

Meanwhile: wash, dry, and zest enough lemons/oranges/pomelos to fill a small mason jar, then top off with a clean spirit (like vodka). Let that sit while the braggot ferments. When you move the braggot to a secondary ferementer, strain the mason jar's mixture through cheesecloth into a new container. Letting it sit longer than 2ish weeks risks it over-extracting and becoming medicinal. Taste a little bit of the braggot when you move to secondary and add some of the citrus tincture to your glass. Find a blend that works well and then scale up to the rest of the batch.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's more a case of "What the hell am I going to do with all of these oranges" rather then "I want tasty orangey drunk".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's more a case of "What the hell am I going to do with all of these oranges" rather then "I want tasty orangey drunk".

Marmalade, motherfucker!

Unrelated, I stopped at Home Depot this morning for some tomato stakes, but gently caress paying $5 each for 8' plastic stakes, and they didn't have 8' wooden stakes. So I bought 4 8' lengths of wood (about 0.65" x 1.4" or something like that) for $1.05 each and I'm going to saw a bit of a point on the ends.

My tomato starters are going nuts, they're all at least 5" now and as I mentioned earlier I've started hardening them off. While looking at info on hardening off, I saw mention that tomatoes don't like temperatures below 45F; is that only when they're potted seedlings, or do I need to wait until nighttime temperatures are consistently above 45F to transplant?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My backyard has an encroaching bamboo infestation from a nearby park, so I have a bountiful supply of free stakes. They're pretty drat durable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My backyard has an encroaching bamboo infestation from a nearby park, so I have a bountiful supply of free stakes. They're pretty drat durable too.

I love bamboo aesthetically and as a material for making things, but I'll pay $1/stake if it means I don't have a bamboo infestation in my yard :v: