Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

Finally have some grade crossing signs. On a street like this in real life a simple sign would never do, it would almost certainly have lights and a bell. That's a bit beyond my skill level though.

If it's not mainline trackage, you could just a 1:160th flagman to access the other side.

E: Of course, there's also this:

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That crossing is a very seldom used little track that might see like 2 boxcars a week, flag guy would do fine. But closer to the edge of the table is the mainline crossing the road and that will almost certainly need gates and lights and ohhh gently caress they're expensive and hard to install.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Reached the half way point of the multimedia F14, so to celebrate this occasion I've loosely put everything together I've got so far. It looks like the part work will feature a diaroma base so this should get interesting too.

Spent the weekend starting to build a cute little Irish Pub. This is a kit by a Chinese company called "Cute Rooms" and they have all kinds of little dollhouse European style stores. You get a box with light and (sometimes) sound effects, a swinging cover doubling as the store front and a bunch of materials (wood, paper, plastic, wires and so on) to kit it all out. They're pretty neat.

This is what it will hopefully look like when done

And this is what it looks like as delivered

An example of the quality instruction. Sadly there's no actual bear cup to be built, just a beer stein. (I may build a bear cup after all. It sounds awesome).

And my progress so far.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What the Chinese kit maker thinks an Irish bar looks like is :allears:

Seriously, what the hell is that thing on the left supposed to be?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

What the Chinese kit maker thinks an Irish bar looks like is :allears:

Seriously, what the hell is that thing on the left supposed to be?

A wine rack filled with Whiskey bottles. No seriously.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Makes about as much sense as anything in there TBH.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The most offensive thing is that the beer stein does not contain an Irish stout.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is not actually the most incorrect thing in the kit. The existence of a beer mug itself is more incorrect. The whole thing is amazing in every way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

That is not actually the most incorrect thing in the kit. The existence of a bear cup itself is more incorrect. The whole thing is amazing in every way.

Please, it's important to get that right.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They got the amount of space in an irish bar right at least. Packed like sardines.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

There's way more strange stuff coming up. Like the vase full of drinking straws (for Guinness mix drinks?). The nonexistence of Guinness. Spanish magazines and newspapers. Photos of Argentine soccer players winning the World Cup. Germany winning the World Cup on TV (not strange, just ill fitting). Comically oversized German beer bottles. Also no tap in sight anywhere.

It is awesome.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's also not the proper green for a bar in July of 1944.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What's making my head hurt is the floor tiles. They're far too regular, clean, and unbroken. There should be at least one spot where tiles were broken and replaced with whatever random tiles fit into the spot, regardless of size. The rest should be cracked and filthy too.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

What's making my head hurt is the floor tiles. They're far too regular, clean, and unbroken. There should be at least one spot where tiles were broken and replaced with whatever random tiles fit into the spot, regardless of size. The rest should be cracked and filthy too.

I'm getting a 1970s vinyl flooring vibe from them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
WooooooOooaaaaaaahhhhh actually making a thread contribution

https://imgur.com/a/Z9ikF

For my stepdads' birthday I bought him a revell kit of his jeep (because he loves the thing). I left him to play with assembling the thing while I handled painting and decals. Aside from losing a few parts (gas cap and signal lights) I think it looks pretty solid! It looks dark here but it's actually painted Olds Engine Blue, which looks great in bright light (which my phone does not appreciate).

My mom saw the finished kit and wanted to contribute, so I took a similar painting & advisory position while she built the diorama. It's a pretty simple Woodland Scenic brand rock mold, enviro plaster, and plaster sheets (over plastalina clay for shaping). I helped put down some layers of clear resin with Tamiya blue coloring, the rest was cheap Apple Barn paints because of the size.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Maybe it's just me but those decals really tie the whole thing together, it looks like an entirely different plane.

Lol, these are two entirely different planes.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yes, and the planes go whoosh as they fly by.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm cracking up at tamiya right now because I'm building the SU-76M and I'm building one of the figures and looking at his face and I realize he looks exactly like Putin.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

The_Rob posted:

I'm cracking up at tamiya right now because I'm building the SU-76M and I'm building one of the figures and looking at his face and I realize he looks exactly like Putin.

Had to google this, you're not wrong

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There's a long standing tradition in military modeling where figures are modeled after famous faces. Especially if you look at the small scale busts from companies like Nuts Planet, the roman centurion looks like Russel Crowe, the WWII trooper looks like Tom Hanks or Damian Lewis, etc etc.

EDIT:

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 16, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My question is when we are going to get a Sherman tank with a commander Donald Trump figure.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's a long standing tradition in military modeling where figures are modeled after famous faces. Especially if you look at the small scale busts from companies like Nuts Planet, the roman centurion looks like Russel Crowe, the WWII trooper looks like Tom Hanks or Damian Lewis, etc etc.

EDIT:

Any good bust companies that don't do that? I don't like this kind of references and without that appeal the famous faces seem forced and ill-fitting.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The_Rob posted:

My question is when we are going to get a Sherman tank with a commander Donald Trump figure.
Won't fit in cupola error.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pierzak posted:

Any good bust companies that don't do that? I don't like this kind of references and without that appeal the famous faces seem forced and ill-fitting.

Seems mostly a mix with each of the companies. Some busts are famous faces, others aren't. Nuts Planet and Andrea Miniatures are probably the most well know for military miniatures and busts, but there's quite a few companies out there producing nice, high quality busts of historical figures.

Not my strongest area of the hobby though, so maybe a few others here might know a bit more about the military miniatures market.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

The_Rob posted:

Maybe you could modify this one?

http://www.thingsfromthebasement.com/store/p312/Donny_Drumpf,_US_Officer.html

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Seems mostly a mix with each of the companies. Some busts are famous faces, others aren't. Nuts Planet and Andrea Miniatures are probably the most well know for military miniatures and busts, but there's quite a few companies out there producing nice, high quality busts of historical figures.

Not my strongest area of the hobby though, so maybe a few others here might know a bit more about the military miniatures market.

Yeah, it's more like "here's a bunch of busts of various Roman soldiers... and ooops! One of them happens to look like Russell Crow, now how did that happen? You can't sue since we're located in Spain. Also, here's our 'Spider-Person with Maria Jane'".

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Unkempt posted:

Had to google this, you're not wrong

Your picture isn't working for me for whatever reason. Rehosted:

It's either Vladdy or the dad from A Christmas Story.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

He can see Sarah Palin's house.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
What's the general consensus on Academy kits? A store near me has a bunch of older kits on sale at 50% off their regular price, with release years ranging from about 2008 to 2012 if I recall correctly(I checked Scalemates real quick when I saw the sale)

There's a few good looking 1/72 jets in there that kind of tempt me, but I have no idea what to expect considering I normally build Revell. The reviews that I can find for my main interests appear to be generally positive, and it's these two that I'm most interested in:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100188-academy-12429-f-16c-thunderbirds

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100187-academy-12424-f-a-18a-hornet

I might also pick up something else if it catches my eye, but I'm worried about the risk of getting a shitplane, like the last time I bought without checking.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Their tanks range from the lower end of mediocre to pretty decent. Their figures are okay. Their aftermarket tracks tend to have too few track links compared to everyone else.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Smoke posted:

What's the general consensus on Academy kits? A store near me has a bunch of older kits on sale at 50% off their regular price, with release years ranging from about 2008 to 2012 if I recall correctly(I checked Scalemates real quick when I saw the sale)

There's a few good looking 1/72 jets in there that kind of tempt me, but I have no idea what to expect considering I normally build Revell. The reviews that I can find for my main interests appear to be generally positive, and it's these two that I'm most interested in:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100188-academy-12429-f-16c-thunderbirds

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100187-academy-12424-f-a-18a-hornet

I might also pick up something else if it catches my eye, but I'm worried about the risk of getting a shitplane, like the last time I bought without checking.

I've built a few of their 1/72 prop planes and have been mostly pleased. I would definitely go for them at 50% off.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Your picture isn't working for me for whatever reason. Rehosted:

Am I going crazy or does that look like George W Bush on the left?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bill Posters posted:

Am I going crazy or does that look like George W Bush on the left?

I thought this too

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Another piece of photo-etch replacement parts. Turned out pretty well, even though this was definitely one of the more fiddly bits of PE I've worked with since it involved so many individual pieces. Really starting to solder more with a torch over my dedicated iron now.

Oh, and once again the instructions had the numbers written down incorrectly. There are four replacement grills on the tank, two of each size, and the instructions basically had the numbers mixed up so the outer frames were paired with the inner struts for the other size. Luckily I caught that before I soldered anything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I keep wanting to get into photo-etch but the chemicals and whole process is a bit nasty.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Do you just use one of those small butane torches?

I've been thinking about getting one of those eduard photo-etch planes because I hate myself.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

Do you just use one of those small butane torches?

I've been thinking about getting one of those eduard photo-etch planes because I hate myself.

I was using a Weller soldering station for the longest while, but even their tiniest soldering tip can be too big to get into some crevices of PE. That, and the way the heat is distributed from the tip can sometimes be a mystery, leaving some joints beautiful and others a lumpy mess.

Lately I've switched to a small torch by a company called Pro-Iroda. Takes a refillable butane lighter as it's fuel source, and really puts out a nice concentrated flame. I just brush on a tiny bit of flux on the joint, snip a tiny piece of solder off the roll and place that in the flux, and then just work the flame towards the joint. The solder melts quick and really self-levels nicely this way. While I'm certainly no soldering expert, I'm getting much cleaner joints with this method than with the iron. Gonna try and get some soldering paste at some point, so I can just brush that into a joint instead of needing to cut little pieces of soldering wire for each one.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is it just a matter of flexibility and thinness/no painting that makes photo-etch worthwhile? Maybe this is just my paint booth privilege speaking, but it looks like a huge PITA compared to lacquer brass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Whuh? No, while photo-etch certainly could be left bare to simulate a brass/gold finish, it's purpose is to create parts that are too thin to accurately cast in styrene. So on tanks you often see replacements for the fenders, which were very thin in real life, but in styrene at scale they appear to be armor thickness. In the case of fenders as well, brass lends itself very well to simulating damage. Whereas styrene will usually bend a little and then just crack, brass can be bent, scratched, punctured, and torn up, all while keeping its structural integrity. The replacement grills I'm working on; in real life they were very thin sheet metal, but in styrene at scale the kit parts appear to be thicker steel plate. Things such as clamps and straps are often targets for photo-etch upgrades as well, since their real-life thin-ness is difficult to accurately capture in styrene. Clamps especially usually will have a photo-etch version that is workable just like the real-life thing, whereas in styrene the clamps are often molded to the tools they hold.

Photo-etch is almost never an absolute must, but it's an option if you want to take the detail of a kit one step further. And it can very much be a pain in the rear end at times, so it's simply a matter of whether said pain is worth the end result. Out of the three addon PE sets I bought for the 1/16 T-34 I'm working on now, I'm probably only going to use half to three-quarters of it in the end. Some of the bits are just too fiddly, or are barely seen, or may even be inferior to the kits parts, so I won't use absolutely everything. Companies that make PE addon kits always tend to go overboard on what they consider replaceable on a kit, so you just have to keep your wits about you and review how the addon bits work with the kit bits before doing any work, and then decide what parts are worth using and what's worth ignoring.