Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Forktoss posted:

I'm in need of a bit of Real Literature advice. I'm a Finnish translator and I've been asked to provide a sample translation of a few pages from an English-language novel to send to publishers (not necessarily as an offer to translate that specific book as a whole for publication, but more as a sample of my writing so that they may assign some other translation work already in the pipeline for me) . I've already translated a passage from The Woman Warrior, but I was told it's too boring and heavy-going for busy publishing people to read on their lunchbreak (which, yeah, it probably is).

So what I'm looking for is a recent-ish English-language novel (written in the past 10-15 years or so would probably be best), preferably a bit obscure so that it hasn't been translated into Finnish already; something with brisk, enjoyable, functional prose and good dialogue, and preferably some nice action scenes to perk up the interest of bored publisher's assistants. Something written for entertainment but still well-written, is probably what I'm getting at.

Any suggestions?

Aquarium by David Vann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Aquarium by David Vann

Beat me to it

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

More specifically - the this is what my childhood was like scat section.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Forktoss posted:

I'm in need of a bit of Real Literature advice. I'm a Finnish translator and I've been asked to provide a sample translation of a few pages from an English-language novel to send to publishers (not necessarily as an offer to translate that specific book as a whole for publication, but more as a sample of my writing so that they may assign some other translation work already in the pipeline for me) . I've already translated a passage from The Woman Warrior, but I was told it's too boring and heavy-going for busy publishing people to read on their lunchbreak (which, yeah, it probably is).

So what I'm looking for is a recent-ish English-language novel (written in the past 10-15 years or so would probably be best), preferably a bit obscure so that it hasn't been translated into Finnish already; something with brisk, enjoyable, functional prose and good dialogue, and preferably some nice action scenes to perk up the interest of bored publisher's assistants. Something written for entertainment but still well-written, is probably what I'm getting at.

Any suggestions?

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mendel, though I dunno how obscure you want...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fridge corn posted:

Aquarium by David Vann

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Franchescanado posted:

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mendel, though I dunno how obscure you want...

Thanks! I'll check that out. Obscure probably isn't the right word, really, I just meant something that isn't necessarily a big, obvious classic and more like

fridge corn posted:

Aquarium by David Vann

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Aquarium is definitely the better book, but it does not have action scenes and I wouldn't say it's written for entertainment, while both of those apply to Station Eleven.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
David Vann also sells better in Europe than the US and has won awards on Spain and France so your publisher will probably try to translate eventually anyways

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Obscene Bird of Night and it is blowing my mind. Highly recommend it.

I am also going to pick up Underground Railroad from the library this afternoon since my hold finally came in. Pretty hyped about that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

I am also going to pick up Underground Railroad from the library this afternoon since my hold finally came in. Pretty hyped about that.

Very interested in your thoughts on this. It's certainly good, but devoid of any joy. Reminded me of McCarthy.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Obscene Bird of Night and it is blowing my mind. Highly recommend it.

Hey this was my favorite book last year, glad you're enjoying it. It's like a grotesque fever dream of a novel and puts other unreliable narrators to shame.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

Hey this was my favorite book last year, glad you're enjoying it. It's like a grotesque fever dream of a novel and puts other unreliable narrators to shame.

Yeah i almost want to reread it immediately because I think I took a lot of stuff in the first section for granted and that's informing a lot of what I think is "real" by the last section (my guess is there was a lot of BS). I love the way he disassociates himself and starts narrating from the perspective of other characters like he himself believes identities are basically transferable. It makes for some really fun passages and reading.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
mentioning that book that keeps getting mentioned should be a bannable offense at this point

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zesty Mordant posted:

mentioning that book that keeps getting mentioned should be a bannable offense at this point

Surely you're referring to A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heath posted:

Surely you're referring to A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin?

drat dude, nice post

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Btw did I brag about buying Kierkegaard's collected works in here yet???

Read 'em an weep, suckers!

(I will give reading it an honest try though, in freaking blackletter)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I read James Baldwin's Another Country, and it was v good. I went from that, which was all kinds of interesting, to the driest possible translation of Apuleius' The Golden rear end, which I'm giving up. Why are classicists so hosed. If your boring-rear end introduction stresses how funny and cool the book is, why would you make the prose come across like a cheat sheet for your boring class :(

What is a good translation of The Golden rear end?

Powaqoatse posted:

Noice, when was it published? Also your tablecloth is very hygge

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

Read 'em an weep, suckers!

(I will give reading it an honest try though, in freaking blackletter)

Very nice.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's the 2nd Drachmann/Heiberg/Lange edition from 1920–36.

Also thx re tablecloth, it is superhygge :3:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also i forgot to mention that i paid 75 dkk for it and apparently its like ~1000 dkk if i had tried to buy it at an actual used book store instead of a second hand shop :smug:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Fear and trembling is the 3rd or 4th best philosophy book of all time

J_RBG posted:

I read James Baldwin's Another Country, and it was v good. I went from that, which was all kinds of interesting, to the driest possible translation of Apuleius' The Golden rear end, which I'm giving up. Why are classicists so hosed. If your boring-rear end introduction stresses how funny and cool the book is, why would you make the prose come across like a cheat sheet for your boring class :(

Noice, when was it published? Also your tablecloth is very hygge

I just read Gawain and the Green Knight and had this exact problem tho the intro was great and was just the translator calling all critical work on Gawain poo poo, which based on my zero knowledge of anything I strongly agree with

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CestMoi posted:

If it's 4th, what would come after Atlas Shrugged and Aquarium by David Vann?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Cowboy Bebop

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

J_RBG posted:

Try seeing what Steven Moore says, he's full of himself but knows a lively translation when he sees it. Have a glance at The Novel, An Alternative History.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

I just read Gawain and the Green Knight and had this exact problem tho the intro was great and was just the translator calling all critical work on Gawain poo poo, which based on my zero knowledge of anything I strongly agree with

What would you say are the 1st and 2nd best

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

Which translation was it? SGGK is stone-cold the best narrative poem in English, it doesn't deserve a boring translation

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ulvir posted:

I'm also interested in the 4th or 3rd, and hell, throw in the 5th as well.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Safety Biscuits posted:

Try seeing what Steven Moore says, he's full of himself but knows a lively translation when he sees it. Have a glance at The Novel, An Alternative History.

Ha, a quick search in Google Books says apparently he had the same problem as me. Fwiw, he recommends Joel Relihan's translation.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

Which translation was it? SGGK is stone-cold the best narrative poem in English, it doesn't deserve a boring translation

Burton Raffels. At times it was great and at other times it was weird and clunky. General feeling of the poem being amazing and funny and cool did shine through tho, one of the only times I've finished a book and immediately wanted to read it again in a different translation

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

Tractatus and philosophical investigations but I have no idea which order they go in

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CestMoi posted:

Tractatus and philosophical investigations but I have no idea which order they go in

PI is a hundred times better than the Tractatus. I see the Tractatus as Wittgenstein's quixotic effort to atomize everything then organize it, and the Investigations as stemming from the honest, rigorous, non-dogmatic critique of his own earlier work—something so rare in philosophy I really can't think of another instance. Then again I haven't read a ton of philosophy. In any case the Investigations is brilliant on its own and very readable (I've heard people call it "poetic" and they're right).

phi kappa FUCKBALLS
Jul 24, 2010

Read Gravity's Rainbow during a week of working graveyard and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've kinda been putting it off because of it being built up as this intimidating tome needing goodwill towards or familiarity with Pynchon to even get through, which I didn't find to be the case. Obviously not a breezy read but it kept me going without much in the way of hiccups. Definitely going to read more of his, I'm eyeing Against the Day.

Also, on the recommendation of someone here, I started Om Våren. It's alright so far but I expected more from the guy and books insane hype (4.5 on goodreads?? Must be the best book ever written). Then again I'm not even halfway through so what do I know.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
WHo's been doing that building, GR's the one you tell people to start with as it's the best one, and if they balk at it then you throw in Lot 49 for at least being short.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

Burton Raffels. At times it was great and at other times it was weird and clunky. General feeling of the poem being amazing and funny and cool did shine through tho, one of the only times I've finished a book and immediately wanted to read it again in a different translation

Simon Armitage at least does a good job with making it sound gnarly, Northern, and old as balls. Added benefit of being a bona fide poet, so the alliteration never really grates like it can do in certain modern takes. But it's no Heaney Beowulf

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I finished reading Gravity's Rainbow not too long ago and found the experience analogous to an actual rocket. It took me multiple attempts to get going, and even then a solid amount of effort to power through once I got into it. Then I hit some sort of personal brennschluss, stopped attempting to make sense of it, and let the surrealism take me where it pleased.

I should probably read it again and do a better job actually following the latter parts of it though, I enjoyed it but feel I missed a lot.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

at the date posted:

PI is a hundred times better than the Tractatus. I see the Tractatus as Wittgenstein's quixotic effort to atomize everything then organize it, and the Investigations as stemming from the honest, rigorous, non-dogmatic critique of his own earlier work—something so rare in philosophy I really can't think of another instance. Then again I haven't read a ton of philosophy. In any case the Investigations is brilliant on its own and very readable (I've heard people call it "poetic" and they're right).

They're so different, and the one I prefer probably just depends on which I've read most recently. The Tractatus is just so well constructed, the structure of it is absolutely perfect, even if I probably agree with the changes to his thought Wittgenstein made in PI. They're both amazingly poetic, and while you can dip into and out of PI and find something beautiful to rave about, the way the Tractatus coheres make it a more satisfying complete read IMO

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

Simon Armitage at least does a good job with making it sound gnarly, Northern, and old as balls. Added benefit of being a bona fide poet, so the alliteration never really grates like it can do in certain modern takes. But it's no Heaney Beowulf

Very naice :henget: I'll pick it up at some point but I've got the good translation of the Golden rear end lined up and a bunch of essays on experimental lit

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
SGGK is sincerely worth the effort required to read it in the original ME. it's difficult, absolutely, but extraordinarily rewarding.

its also not like beowulf in that you dont actually have to learn a new language to read it, you just need an edition with a good glossary

e: armitage's translation is probably the best on the market and the US edition (though not the UK one) was printed with the original text in facing page. tolkien's edition of the text (not his translation, which oddly is not very good, but his edition of the actual middle english) is probably the standard and has a perfect glossary

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 19, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ATTN: Vann Clann

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Air-Black-David-Vann/dp/0802125808

man battle stations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
even if you don't like philosophy, everybody should still read

fear and trembling
philosophical investigations
myth of sisyphus

because they are just really beautifully put together works and often genuinely moving

i am not going to read david vann out of, at this point, mostly a misplaced sense of spite, but thanks all the same