Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Three finger drag, tap to click is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

And turn off the clicking. Silent operation ftw

Edit I mean the click sound

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What are you, monsters?

I disable tap to click on everything I touch. The fact it's impossible to disable on a Surface Pro and turned off by default on a MBP is all anyone should need to know about good and evil.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Krispy Kareem posted:

What are you, monsters?

I disable tap to click on everything I touch. The fact it's impossible to disable on a Surface Pro and turned off by default on a MBP is all anyone should need to know about good and evil.

im sorry you for some reason prefer taking minutes to do something that takes me 30 seconds

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Krispy Kareem posted:

What are you, monsters?

:wtc:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

I disable tap to click on everything I touch.
MODS?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

REVERSE SCROLLING

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Reverse scrolling + tap to click = truth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

seriously tho the tap to click + double click with two fingers + three finger drag makes using the trackpad incredibly fast and i now prefer it to a mouse

Well my history with tap-to-click was back from when Synaptics touchpad were a dumpster fire in the 2000-2006 era. So I'm pretty soured on it.

But since everyone seems to love it on the Apple, I'll give it shot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

What are you, monsters?

MVP of wrongest opinions in this thread 3 years running!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'll give click to tap on the MBP. It's always been a dumpster fire on Windows, though.

And I never knew three finger drag even existed.

EDIT: nope, still hate click to tap. Three finger drag however is awesome.

Bob Morales posted:

REVERSE SCROLLING

Australian style scrolling.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 19, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Drag lock for life.

I use the old scrolling convention because nine times out of ten, I’m scrolling down, and my fingers find it easier to move that way.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
This is the first I've known about three finger drag and I love it. Life changing

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'll try it, but I don't understand how it could be better. I push to click and then use my other fingers to drag the thing around. Works great! I hate tap-to-click.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Three finger drag has literally been around for about 10 years.

Having such a nice trackpad and then not using it to its potential is sad.

Sad!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

tap to click is the devil.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

:yeah:

my best tip for everyone with an apple touchpad: go to accessibility -> mouse & trackpad -> trackpad options -> enable dragging with three fingers

This is the greatest thing I've read today.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pivo posted:

And turn off the clicking. Silent operation ftw

Edit I mean the click sound
This isn't an option on the new Pros

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Not seeing the drag with three fingers option on my 2016 non touchbar MBP.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TACD posted:

Seriously? That's such a random option to remove.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Not seeing the drag with three fingers option on my 2016 non touchbar MBP.

Go to Trackpad options and change the Exposé and screen switching options from "do [activity] with three finger swipe' to four fingers, then go to Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad, click Trackpad Options, enable dragging and select with three finger drag. And then, whatever, drag things around with 3 fingers. Yay.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fleshweasel posted:

I have to imagine that the Buyer's Guide is going to show all but one Mac model as "DON'T BUY" at any given time until Apple shuts down for good.

Platystemon posted:

Eventually Apple will drag the average up so far that it encompasses multiple models.

Remember back in the PPC days when every Mac model got updated once or even twice per year with more RAM, faster CPUs and better GPUs?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TACD posted:

You must have the JDM model.

eames
May 9, 2009

Heads up, LG Ultrafine 4K/5K monitors seem to suffer from the same image retention issues as my 15" rMBP (which also had a LG IPS panel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1fMYj5HuPs

https://twitter.com/jasonrbarry/status/837022972833632262

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
wherein timb discovers why outsourcing can be really bad

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

At least it's only retention and not 'burn in' like a plasma. I think most modern panels suffer from some form of retention? The rMBPs do, so does the Surface Book, so do LCD TVs (like my Vizio but also Samsung does too). It will go away, just run a screensaver that is all white for a night or two, it's not permanent.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i've had retention happen once on my retina mbp but it hasn't occurred since

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TACD posted:

It is if you install BetterTouchTool.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

~Coxy posted:

Remember back in the PPC days when every Mac model got updated once or even twice per year with more RAM, faster CPUs and better GPUs?

I remember when they didn't update the PPC G4 PowerMac for what seemed like a couple of years because Motorola couldn't push the G4 past 450 MHz.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Platystemon posted:

It is if you install BetterTouchTool.

It is anyway. My 2016 tb has it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pivo posted:

At least it's only retention and not 'burn in' like a plasma. I think most modern panels suffer from some form of retention? The rMBPs do, so does the Surface Book, so do LCD TVs (like my Vizio but also Samsung does too). It will go away, just run a screensaver that is all white for a night or two, it's not permanent.

I had retention on a work owned 2010 imac. It happens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

~Coxy posted:

That sucked. You needed a new computer every other year.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Strong Sauce posted:

tap to click is the devil.

YUP

The pads of my fingers are really heavy and hard due to playing bass for 25 yrs so I get false clicks all over the drat place if tap to click is on. I just click with my thumb still, works fine.

Three finger drag looks like it's usable concurrent three-finger back-swipe so I'm gonna give it a try. Wonder how it'll work with Logic stuff, though.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's crazy to me that you all can leave tap-to-click on. I tried it for like a month and got so many false clicks I had to go back.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

~Coxy posted:

Yes I remember the time when all three of those things were clearly inferior (by a very wide margin) to cheaper PC hardware and they flailed around trying to make the best of distant second-best tech from Motorola and IBM

I also remember when Apple was forced to market on very narrow performance metrics (AltiVec number crunching) which made their hardware look good because outside of that, it wasn't

SourKraut posted:

I remember when they didn't update the PPC G4 PowerMac for what seemed like a couple of years because Motorola couldn't push the G4 past 450 MHz.

I remember when Jobs keynoted the brand new PowerMac G4 and announced 400, 450, and 500 MHz as the good/better/best clock speeds, but by the time they were able to start shipping for real those numbers had to be rolled back to 350/400/450.

Generally speaking the reason why Apple has become less diligent about refreshing all their Macs every year is quite simple. It's the list of killer applications that sell new computers which absolutely require this year's Intel CPU and AMD/NVidia GPU and will run poorly on chips from two years ago:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember when the Powermac G4 boosted from dual 1.25 ghz to dual 1.33 ghz. Good times.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pivo posted:

Go to Trackpad options and change the Exposé and screen switching options from "do [activity] with three finger swipe' to four fingers, then go to Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad, click Trackpad Options, enable dragging and select with three finger drag. And then, whatever, drag things around with 3 fingers. Yay.

That worked-thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple did try to make the best out of a bad situation, they just did it retardedly; if anyone remembers the liquid cooled 2.7 GHz G5 that used the system built by Delphi that oozed green slime due to poor seals.

IBM kept telling Apple if they wanted more than 3 GHz (to keep up with the fastest Pentiums at the time) they'd have to pony up huge money to improve the technology faster than IBM was doing it currently; Jobs balked at this and ordered the switch to Intel.

IMHO we're never getting another Mac Pro, we might get iMacs on steroids, but every time Apple tries to deliver a pro workstation they always make the wrong decisions during design and there's always something basic that they gently caress up due to their own hubris, like the non-upgradeability of the GPUs on the TrashCan.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fistful of Silence posted:

Yeah, it's crazy to me that you all can leave tap-to-click on. I tried it for like a month and got so many false clicks I had to go back.

It's really really good if you have long nails. That's one thing I really like about Mac peripherals - they work no matter your nail length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Pivo posted:

You just changed my life. Tap-to-click was a given to me... but this?? Pure magic.