Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Neddy Seagoon posted:

REDLIIIIIIIIINEEE!

Seriously, watch Redline.

I did, actually! I should have mentioned that. It's part of what kicked this off. Redline is cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is Baccano! available on netflix?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Psycho-Pass is on Netflix isn't it?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally finished an anime after dropping a few in a row. Osomatsu-San was so good, I loved the comedy it was like Gintama but a lot more crazy/weird. I hope there is another season because this show was apparently big in Japan due to the older series being a hit. Is there anything else like it out there? Don't mind if it's another manga or another medium even.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ulio posted:

Finally finished an anime after dropping a few in a row. Osomatsu-San was so good, I loved the comedy it was like Gintama but a lot more crazy/weird. I hope there is another season because this show was apparently big in Japan due to the older series being a hit. Is there anything else like it out there? Don't mind if it's another manga or another medium even.

Daily Lives of High School Boys has a lot of the same high energy comedy, though it's more of a mundane setting. Level E has a weird mix of pseudo-horror and comedy with sci-fi elements, though its strongest bits happen to be frontloaded. Definitely watch the first 3 episodes of it together if you can.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you recommend Nichiboys, you'd be remiss not to recommend Nichijou as well. It's wall to wall absurdist comedy with some of the best animation every to grace a TV screen. Also as long as I'm recommending Nichijou, might as well recommend Chromartie High School.

I just finished Nier: Automata (well I have one more main ending to go so not quite but eh) and I'm really in the mood for something else in that vein. Something sci-fi fantasy with an interesting thematically focused story. Also I've probably seen the bigger names already, so give me something not so well known.

VV Tru that.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 23, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

If you recommend Nichiboys, you'd be remiss not to recommend Nichijou as well. It's wall to wall absurdist comedy with some of the best animation every to grace a TV screen. Also as long as I'm recommending Nichijou, might as well recommend Chromartie High School.

Might as well toss Azumanga Daioh in that list as well. It's not as absurdist, but it has some great comedy still :allears:.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Might as well toss Azumanga Daioh in that list as well. It's not as absurdist, but it has some great comedy still :allears:.

I'm rewatching it now and it def is more clunky than I remember. Still has some really good moments but it leans on sweet and cute a lot and there are some eva level beat moments. Having also recently rewatched highchool boys, azumanga is a lot more lethargic.

Working! has alot more 'plot' but it's along similar lines energy wise to hs boyz. though not exactly absurdist.

(I'd forgotten how jarring the 'highschool girl are...!" segments were. It lands at all only if you are familiar with some of the tropes azu and that one band girl slice of life popularized)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm rewatching it now and it def is more clunky than I remember. Still has some really good moments but it leans on sweet and cute a lot and there are some eva level beat moments. Having also recently rewatched highchool boys, azumanga is a lot more lethargic.

Would it be accurate to say that Azumanga Daioh was one of the first "cute girls doing cute things" genre animes? I can't remember many before it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Azumanga's slow pace is part of its charm in my opinion. Then again it was pretty much my first anime ever besides Pokemon so I guess it stuck with me for that reason.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Azumanga's first couple of episdoes are more or less badly paced garbage with nice moments, because it's still trying to follow the 4koma, short skit layout. I think after that the show had a directorial change and it picked up a great deal. Still a bit more dreamlike in pace than other shows I've watched, but good stuff. That theme tune is a classic to me.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 23, 2017

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Azumanga's OP is still my nuclear option for getting other songs out of my head. It has the tendency to stick around for days or even weeks, though, so it's a last resort.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kokoro Wish posted:

Azumanga's first couple of episdoes are more or less badly paced garbage with nice moments, because it's still trying to follow the 4koma, short skit layout. I think after that the show had a directorial change and it picked up a great deal. Still a bit more dreamlike in pace than other shows I've watched, but good stuff. That theme tune is a classic to me.

Yeah, it absolutely takes a few episodes to hit its stride.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Azumanga's OP is still my nuclear option for getting other songs out of my head. It has the tendency to stick around for days or even weeks, though, so it's a last resort.

I actually like the ED better myself, but they're both great.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's true, Masumi Ito songs own.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Maybe I'll give the show another chance, then. All I'd seen for the show was unqualified praise, nothing at all like "The first few episodes are dull, give it a chance" or something like that, so I dropped it after I watched the first two episodes and thought they were crap.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Azumanga still has a lot of hilarious bits and I enjoy it overall, but the slow pacing and cheap-looking production detract from it at times. Rewatching it right after a Nichijou rewatch didn't put it in the best light, though that's admittedly a nigh-impossible act to follow. I'm not sure if it was just that I got more into the groove of the show as it went on, but later parts of Azumanga seemed to hold up as much stronger than the first half or so.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's better as a manga.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Its has a few things working against it. Its over a decade old and is at that awkward early computer coloring phase, its def not a high budget adaptation (though it does improve in the second half). Also, a lot of people are reporting how they felt when they saw it way way back, without having seen it in years so theres a certain amount of nostalgia at work.

I remember loving it when i first saw it, but at the time it was the only thing id seen like that, i was in highschool, and there were way, WAY less anime available, certainly of that ilk.

The manga holds up very well. As has been repeated azu has some nice stuff inside, but i cant really recommend it without some qualifications. If you have to struggle to get into it, i wouldnt worry about it; it doesnt really pay in the way sticking with some other shows that "get good" will. The humor finds itself after a little bit but if you dont find the characters interesting its gonna fall flat, especially some of the longer stretches where they make the same character based jokes over and over and over.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Isn't that the one with the pedo teacher?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah. That joke's aged about as well as youd expect in tyool 2017.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gently caress offffff

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Davincie posted:

gently caress offffff

Terrible, I know. And to students non the less.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wasn't the joke that he looked really weird/creepy, but was actually just a nice and normal guy?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

AnoHito posted:

Wasn't the joke that he looked really weird/creepy, but was actually just a nice and normal guy?

Nah, he's a weird creep through and through. His wife thinks he's completely normal though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Daily Lives of High School Boys has a lot of the same high energy comedy, though it's more of a mundane setting. Level E has a weird mix of pseudo-horror and comedy with sci-fi elements, though its strongest bits happen to be frontloaded. Definitely watch the first 3 episodes of it together if you can.

I will give those a try. I remember watching both of them when they were airing and like them quite a bit but just stopped somewhere along the way. I do remember Level E being really fun at the start when it was super random but then it started to have small mini arc episodes which weren't as good and had more serious tone.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AnoHito posted:

He's a gross creep who just happens to be a devoted husband and father that picks up litter in his spare time or whatever. Doesn't stop him from hitting on/leering at his students. :whitewater:

smenj posted:

Maybe I'll give the show another chance, then. All I'd seen for the show was unqualified praise, nothing at all like "The first few episodes are dull, give it a chance" or something like that, so I dropped it after I watched the first two episodes and thought they were crap.

I like Azumanga a lot, but it's very slow-paced and has no overarching plot. If these sound like negatives then it might not be for you.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

I like Azumanga a lot, but it's very slow-paced and has no overarching plot. If these sound like negatives then it might not be for you.

I don't mind slow pacing or a lack of plot, really, I just didn't find the show funny at all. There's been a few shows to my mind that people have a fair bit of nostalgia for where it's not quite justified, plus people have pretty varying tastes in comedy. I'd loved Nichijou and seen many people comparing the two shows, some saying they liked Azumanga Daioh more, so I thought I'd give it a go. None of the jokes from what I watched made me laugh, and I hadn't seen anybody mentioning that the beginning wasn't very good and that I should stick with it, so I figured people were either remembering the show much more fondly than it deserved or that we just had different preferences in comedy. For example, a few people really loved that Sakamoto show a few seasons ago but it barely made me chuckle. If people say the show picks up a few episodes in I might be persuaded to give it another try, but the humour just didn't seem like it was for me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

He's also the first documented person to say "mai waifu"*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AgDbAT56I0

*This isn't actually true

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Would it be accurate to say that Azumanga Daioh was one of the first "cute girls doing cute things" genre animes? I can't remember many before it.

Anime yes, but the manga came out a couple of years after doki doki high school

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'm actually rewatching Azumanga again thanks to this thread and yeah, first two episodes are gaaaarbage. I mean, I love Osaka as a character but her introduction is so slow paced and awkward that it's pretty painful. Show does pick up after that though, thankfully.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The only thing that kept me from abandoning my ongoing rewatch early on was Osaka. Everything she does makes me laugh.

It's interesting to me how weird some of the stuff in the show is, and not the surreal parts. Like, when I started I was like "oh yah, the sports chick who likes cat, and the funny teachers!" and then the funny teachers were the focus of the whole secondish ep and it was like "that would have been a much better payoff down the line". Same thing with the sports-cat chick (I'm terrible at these names). I remember really liking her in highschool and looking forward to when she gets some attention, and then they do like three episodes of her with basically the same joke over and over in a row and it was not great.

There's this one moment in ep 12 or 13 I think where there's this dream sequence and they start laughing in that anime / tv show way, you know, where every one is laughing, and then they cut to each character and they are laughing, and it goes ON FOR loving EVER and I was sure it was gonna be a joke about how bizarre all it was and then it was just... that's just how they ended the episode.

Also like 95% of loud yelling dumb girl is really painful.

Again, there's some sweet stuff in it but I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that it's an artifact of its time, and that it doesn't stand up as well in reality as it does in memory.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I reread the manga occasionally, and it absolutely stands up. I'd always preferred its sense of timing.

GiantDutchman
Dec 14, 2013
I've come back to watching anime after not for some 10-15 years. A lot of what I click on is often not memorable and I'll try to watch it again some months later. Things I've liked are Attack on Titan, Legend of the Legendary Heroes, and Seven Deadly Sins. Things I remover enjoying from before are Record of the Lodoess War, Ushio and Tora, Kimagure Orange Road, Bubblegum Crisis, Riding Bean, Heroic Legend of Areslan, Ninja Scroll, and others. Are there any shows now that have that older style? The boobs in the new ones have gotten quite ridiculous. Thanks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GiantDutchman posted:

I've come back to watching anime after not for some 10-15 years. A lot of what I click on is often not memorable and I'll try to watch it again some months later. Things I've liked are Attack on Titan, Legend of the Legendary Heroes, and Seven Deadly Sins. Things I remover enjoying from before are Record of the Lodoess War, Ushio and Tora, Kimagure Orange Road, Bubblegum Crisis, Riding Bean, Heroic Legend of Areslan, Ninja Scroll, and others. Are there any shows now that have that older style? The boobs in the new ones have gotten quite ridiculous. Thanks

There's a new Ushio and Tora TV series and it owns, they make it through the entire series, too. You should check it out.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GiantDutchman posted:

If you haven't checked out the Jojo anime yet, that would probably be a good idea.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GiantDutchman posted:

The boobs in the new ones have gotten quite ridiculous.

And yet you're enjoying Seven Deadly Sins? That said it is a pretty fun show despite the boob worship stuff.

If you're interested in fantasy drama stuff (judging by your mentions of Lodoss War and Arslan), Twelve Kingdoms is a solid pick. It's an older show too. Also, I'm currently watching Yona of the Dawn and it's been a pretty good fantasy drama so far, and I've heard good things about it overall. But its definitely a more modern show with a few annoying modern anime stylistic choices, especially with its occasional comedy interjections. It's not too bad with it though. Moribito is another modern one, but it's a rather mature show.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Tonari no Seki-kun is a hilarious short anime (half-sized episodes) about a girl obsessing over her classmate who's always goofing off in class. It's not explicitly romantic, but she's totally crushing.

This was a great recommendation, thanks!

GiantDutchman
Dec 14, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a new Ushio and Tora TV series and it owns, they make it through the entire series, too. You should check it out.

So I actually watched this and did not realize till just now that it was a new production. I just figured it was the full run that I had only seen a partial fansub of in the 90's

GiantDutchman
Dec 14, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

And yet you're enjoying Seven Deadly Sins? That said it is a pretty fun show despite the boob worship stuff.

The modern anime "boob physics" annoys my wife more than me, though she also enjoyed Sins despite that. I've thought about watching Yona, I'll have to check it out, Twelve Kingdoms is $22 on Amazon so I'll wait till some other service picks it up.

GiantDutchman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yona has kind of a slow start but if you want a story about an emotionally shattered princess developing into a super badass, it's your show