Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People an MacRumors talk about getting the regular Smsing drives working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
So, a little while ago I was asking about turning an external HD into a NAS or just about being able to access a computers files from my iOS devices.

Couldn't really find a solution, since Plex, which had been perfect, was disrupted with a VPN connection.

I think I have found a solution but kind of wanted to see how secure it was and if there are any holes in the plan:

I turned on Remote Login on my Mac mini, added my user account, and then copied that info into GoodReader's server connector and all my files were all there, just like I would want.

Edit: Ugh, apparently this is only working when I'm connected to my wifi. Any help here would be appreciated. Mostly want to know how to access outside my network but also have it be secure and doable with a VPN on.

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 2, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

People an MacRumors talk about getting the regular Smsing drives working

Using a third party adapter that the vendor only certifies as being compatible with three, count 'em, three M.2 drives in total:

Samsung XP941
Samsung SM951
Kingston SHPM2280P2

The SM951, the fastest of the bunch, is almost impossible to get since being proven to work with generic M2 to PCIe adapters for the Mac Pro towers.

The other two are still kind of expensive, especially compared to other's prices, but the only choice in town. AHCI compatibility is the key, pretty much the entire SSD industry has already abandoned AHCI support, at least the kind needed to be compatible with Apple's firmware.

The only other choices for SSD upgrades on Late 2013/2014 rMBPs are eBay Apple OEM specials, MCE Technolgies and OWC's laughable Aura series.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 3, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I could really use a hand finding a Thunderbolt 3 -> Displayport 1.2 cable. If you stack multiple dongles (Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 -> Displayport) you can't do displayport 1.2 over the double dongle. I know that TB3 is capable of doing this because that's how the LG Ultrafine display works internally, but where can I find a cable that does it?

Also, what's the best Thunderbolt 3 dock that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that has either a single DP 1.2 port or multiple lower standard DP ports?

Edit: Actually, if you do TB3 -> TB2 -> MiniDP -> DP you don't get any video signal at all?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 3, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Twerk from Home posted:

I could really use a hand finding a Thunderbolt 3 -> Displayport 1.2 cable.
Good luck.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

I could really use a hand finding a Thunderbolt 3 -> Displayport 1.2 cable. If you stack multiple dongles (Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 -> Displayport) you can't do displayport 1.2 over the double dongle. I know that TB3 is capable of doing this because that's how the LG Ultrafine display works internally, but where can I find a cable that does it?

One of these?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thank you a ton! I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what each one supports.

quote:

DisplayPort MST

Adapter is capable of passing Multi-Stream data.

Exactly what I was looking for!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
ugh why the hell do those never have an addition plug for power.

why did i get the single port macbook

i want light but high res

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!
Holy poo poo, new spec bumped Mac Pros with a re-design next year! Had to check the date to make sure it wasn't still April 1st... The Mac lives!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

🤔🤔🤔🤔

eames
May 9, 2009

Ha yeah, what a remarkable clusterbleep though.

"Hello yes we changed our mind and are going to make new Mac Pros, the old model is terrible and flawed but we have nothing to show you at this point so keep buying them."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope it's basically just an NCASE M-1 or a DAN copy. Stop loving around with ridiculous tiny boxes as if any Pro isn't using a desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

"If we've had a pause in upgrades and updates, we're sorry for that
1200 days is a pause. Okay.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sweet. Definitely waiting on that new iMac with pro options, then.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So the trashcan was a design mistake then. Back to the cheesegrater we go!

eames
May 9, 2009

Perhaps we'll get Pascal web drivers for macOS after all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"We've been too busy with watch bands, emoji's and touchbars. We've came to our senses and are going to make computers again."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Somebody pinch me, I can't believe Apple actually

1) Apologized
2) Pre-announced a major loving upgrade to a product line
3) Did it a loving year in advance

The Xeons and the GPUs (advanced Vega for sure) they want won't be ready until next year anyway...

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I hope Apple goes back to making good computers again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I hope Apple goes back to making good computers again.

Someone order up a bunch of MAGA hats with an apple logo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Somebody pinch me, I can't believe Apple actually

1) Apologized
2) Pre-announced a major loving upgrade to a product line
3) Did it a loving year in advance

The Xeons and the GPUs (advanced Vega for sure) they want won't be ready until next year anyway...

Looking at the various articles, it looks like Apple really got the worries that a lot of people in the last few pages of this thread were expressing. They knew people were worried Apple was done with computers, especially desktops, and went "no. We're sorry." They even specifically responded to and denied some of the rumored going around. No touchscreens. No macOS on ARM with the TouchBar as a starting point.

It's a whole hearted "we've messed up and we need to do better", done in a way that shows commitment to change already. They know their products weren't working. They know their communication wasn't working. Being honest about that and addressing it makes me feel a lot better about the Mac as a platform than any model updates could alone.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If they're moving to Skylake-E then they could conceivably (not necessarily likely) offer a 32-core option, quite a leap up from the current 12. I wonder if they'll just go back to something like the cheese grater form factor or not. I'm not ruling out the possibility of something else unique that isn't as compromising as the cylinder, but I feel like desktops are mostly squareish boxes for a reason.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If the 2018 Mac Pro doesn't have at least one loving free PCIe slot..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wonder why they're bothering if, according to that article, Mac Pros account for a single-digit percentage of Mac sales.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

My money's on the new mac pro being a 2U server rack case, but welded around the edges.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wonder why they're bothering if, according to that article, Mac Pros account for a single-digit percentage of Mac sales.

I wonder why they account for a single‐digit percentage of Mac sales. 🤔

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm going to guess at two reasons, and really I think it's a mix of them

1) the Mac Pro sales figures are artificially depressed by the fact that it's been THEE loving YEARS since they even spec bumped them. A new mac pro that was as modular as what they're claiming in that article and had hardware that was more in line with current norms would sell significantly better.

2) even if it's a minority, it's a minority that they depend on for developing a lot of the poo poo that makes their ecosystem attractive in the first place.

Also, loving laffo at this part of the article when they're describing the imac and Craig jumps in:

quote:

Craig Federighi then jumped in, and said:

That is a pretty incredible evolution that we’ve seen over the last decade. The original iMac, you never would’ve thought as remotely touching pro uses. And now you look at today’s 5K iMac, top configs, it’s incredibly powerful, and a huge fraction of what would’ve traditionally — whether it’s audio editing, video editing, graphics, arts and so forth — that would’ve previously absolutely required the Mac Pros of old, are being well-addressed by iMac. But there’s still even further we can take iMac as a high performance, pro system, and we think that form factor can address even more of the pro market.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Also, Mac Pros are expensive so that single digit percentage (if they are talking about Mac pros being a single digit percentage of units sold) is still a ton of money.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

GoldfishStew posted:

So, a little while ago I was asking about turning an external HD into a NAS or just about being able to access a computers files from my iOS devices.

Couldn't really find a solution, since Plex, which had been perfect, was disrupted with a VPN connection.

I think I have found a solution but kind of wanted to see how secure it was and if there are any holes in the plan:

I turned on Remote Login on my Mac mini, added my user account, and then copied that info into GoodReader's server connector and all my files were all there, just like I would want.

Edit: Ugh, apparently this is only working when I'm connected to my wifi. Any help here would be appreciated. Mostly want to know how to access outside my network but also have it be secure and doable with a VPN on.

Hey could anyone help me with this? I'd appreciate it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just wait until Tim reads that article and shitcans the whole project

eames
May 9, 2009

So far all we have are promises of a better future and zero evidence so what makes you think that this isn't Tim's project?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hypothetical markets for Mac Pro:

• Professors with fat budgets
  • Computer labs at educational facilities
  • People who edit a lot of video
  • Music producers
  • 3D artists at game companies or special effects/movie places (I assume they are all using Windows or Linux)
  • Mac software developers who somehow can't get buy with a MBP 15"
  • IMGIX

Am I missing anyone?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm posting from the TechCrunch article because I can't stand to read Gruber when he writes these articles. He is bad at longform articles.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/04/apple-pushes-the-reset-button-on-the-mac-pro/

quote:

First of all, when we talk about pro customers, it’s important to be clear that there isn’t one prototypical pro customer. Pro is such a broad term, and it covers many many categories of customers. And we care about all of these categories, and there’s a variety of different products those customers want,” says Schiller.

quote:

I think one of the foundations of that system was the dual GPU architecture… and for certain workflows, certain classes of pro customers, that’s a great solution. But… to Phil’s point, “Pro” is so broad that it doesn’t necessarily fit all the needs of all the pros.
Ah yes, so to continue this confusion we did the same _EXACT_ thing with Macbook. "We want to make everyone feel special by calling all MacBooks 'PROS'.... except the cheapskates who buy the cheapest MacBooks. Also those guys only get one USB-C port..."

loving 2018. So almost guaranteed to hit 1500 DAYS before a Mac Pro gets a refresh.

It honestly doesn't matter what they come up with in 2018 because when they release it everyone will cream themselves over the specs. I assume they won't do something stupid like not have the top of the line CPU/GPU/MEMORY configurations. But who cares? Everyone will still love it. They give a big 'ol gently caress you "pro" users for 1200 days and then they realize, "uh oh if we lose the top-end market we might slowly lose the rest of the laptop/desktop market too. iPhone is making $$$ but it's stagnated.... hmmmm.. BETTER ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS NOW..."

The iMacs being used now by "Pros" are only being used because there is literally no alternative. Is the new iMac model a stop-gap or just Apple's inability to figure out why iMacs are now being used by professional users of their product?

Also, separation of iPad and Mac* by having no touchscreen on Mac products is kinda a big gently caress you to artists/illustrators.

Apple: Hey want a nice drawing experience? Buy an iPad fuckers.
Customers: But we want more power and a bigger surface.
Apple: No gently caress you.

They can't even throw the Mac Mini a bone by saying something is coming. Because Mac Mini is probably completely dead.

Edit: Pretty much below, + that Jennifer Lawrence, "OK" gif.

Bob Morales posted:

1200 days is a pause. Okay.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 4, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why would you want a touchscreen desktop

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Why would you want a touchscreen desktop

It's in relation to a question asking about the Surface Studio. Also Apple has decided they don't want swiveling monitors for their iMacs... because they'd rather you spend the money on an iPad.

eames
May 9, 2009

techcrunch posted:

To facilitate this, Apple will be introducing new iMacs this year with unspecified spec bumps that will make them more attractive to those pro users. We don’t know exactly when they’re coming, but they’re being worked on now.

techcrunch posted:

I ask him what Apple’s philosophy on external GPUs is.

“I think they have a place,” he says, and leaves it at that.

:unsmith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

According to IDC:

Apple is estimated to have shipped a total of 18.6 million Macs in 2016, down from 20.3 million in 2015.

So it 2.5% of 20 million, that's 500,000 Mac Pros (Apple said it was a single-digit percentage)

They have a $2,999 and $3,999 model, who knows what the average out the door configured price is. Let's just say it's $4,000

If Apple is making 20% on each of those, that's $800 * 5,000,000 = $400m to profit

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Pricing and specs?
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/4/15175890/apple-mac-pro-new-pricing-specs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The "re-re-imagined" Mac Pro will be loaded with a bunch of Apple-designed ARM cores and one big Apple-designed GPU! :haw:

Seriously though I'm excited that we might see a (easily) user-upgradable Mac Pro again. Maybe they'll go back to using nVidia too while they're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
THE APPLE DESKTOP IS DEAD GUYS

I'm hoping for three things out of the new Mac Pro:

* Open PCI-E ports
* Mini-ATX-ish sized case
* non-Xeon options at the low end

It's definitely going to have a PCI-E gumstick SSD and I could see one or two 2.5" HD slots. I hope not much more than that.