Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im having serious doubt that Apple is allowing any upgradability with their new Mac Pros, other than like, storage. I want to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it'll be an itx ish sized build with user manageable GPU and not much else. definitely a small nvme SSD that may be glued to the non-standardized motherboard

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
They said "modular" explicitly and often. If that doesn't mean normal PCI-E graphics cards I'd be really really shocked.

I don't care that much about onboard storage but if it's big enough to take a real GPU then they might as well put a slot in for a 2.5" spinner for those who want it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GoldfishStew posted:

Hey could anyone help me with this? I'd appreciate it.

Honestly, you're going to have better results asking one of the networking threads instead of a thread focused on Mac hardware.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SourKraut posted:

Seriously though I'm excited that we might see a (easily) user-upgradable Mac Pro again. Maybe they'll go back to using nVidia too while they're at it.

If they're listening to the 'pros' out there, they definitely should offer compatibility at the very least.

At the moment they are so in bed with AMD/ATI I doubt nVidia will be offered as an option by Apple, but more like 'here someone else is doing it, and we can at least say it's compatible' like they're doing with the LG monitors. Maybe EVGA or someone else will market the nVidia based solution.

It might be interesting if their iOS GPU division winds up making available Apple's own GPU solution; I actually remember at one of the video oriented expos that Imagination Technology put their PowerVR-based GPU on a generic PCIe board and had it running demos on a clone PC all day long. Then Apple could offer three GPU choices, the cheapest being the Apple one, with the ATI and nVidia as the medium/high end choices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

“As part of doing a new Mac Pro — it is, by definition, a modular system — we will be doing a Pro display as well. Now you won’t see any of those products this year; we’re in the process of that. We think it’s really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that’ll take longer than this year to do.”

Hey Apple, 'modular' doesn't mean 'proprietary'

You got that? I don't give a gently caress if there's 6 empty drive bays but I need a stupid Apple SSD with 4 wires crossed to use them.

I'm not expecting SATA but it better be a standard like M.2

Does this mean NVIDA and ATI are going to come out with overpriced 'Mac Edition' graphics cards again?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Onboard Apple or Intel graphics would be cool as an option for those who need the pro for processor and expandibility more than GPU horsepower.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They said "modular" explicitly and often. If that doesn't mean normal PCI-E graphics cards I'd be really really shocked.

I don't care that much about onboard storage but if it's big enough to take a real GPU then they might as well put a slot in for a 2.5" spinner for those who want it.

Also these custom formats eat into their loving ridiculous profit margins and having had to eat a bag of dicks over nMP graphics cards failures I doubt they're keep on reliving that particular corporate nightmare.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Hypothetical markets for Mac Pro:

• Professors with fat budgets
  • Computer labs at educational facilities
  • People who edit a lot of video
  • Music producers
  • 3D artists at game companies or special effects/movie places (I assume they are all using Windows or Linux)
  • Mac software developers who somehow can't get buy with a MBP 15"
  • IMGIX

Am I missing anyone?

Top tier youtubers who are major influencers and would make them seem cool. The Casey's and MKBHD's.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

There's always going to be a market for people who buy the pro model of whatever so they look like a pro, not because they actually need it - and that's fine, more people buying the good poo poo means more reason to keep making it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I get the feeling they'll assemble the machine here so Trump doesn't bitch at them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there was huge market of people who have their own screen and wanted a good Mac Pro. They all bought iMacs or a MacBook Pro.

I would really appreciate it if the baseline Mac Pro was suitably priced so to be justifiable compared to a MBP, but it'll probably end up being comparably priced to a similarly powered laptop, despite having no screen.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

There's always going to be a market for people who buy the pro model of whatever so they look like a pro, not because they actually need it - and that's fine, more people buying the good poo poo means more reason to keep making it.

Or more that the 'consumer' grade stuff is too loving gimped to justify the cost of a 5 year purchase. Even their 'pro' laptops RAM options are an insult to pro customers who are likely only buying he drat thing because buying a 4 year old Mac Pro at the current price point is retarded, speed bump or not.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They also talked about new iMacs coming this year. Yay.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Theophany posted:

Or more that the 'consumer' grade stuff is too loving gimped to justify the cost of a 5 year purchase. Even their 'pro' laptops RAM options are an insult to pro customers who are likely only buying he drat thing because buying a 4 year old Mac Pro at the current price point is retarded, speed bump or not.

Eh, it applies to much more than just Apple hardware. Cameras, guitars, cars, kitchen appliances, whatever....

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Eh, it applies to much more than just Apple hardware. Cameras, guitars, cars, kitchen appliances, whatever....

A sad indictment.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

flosofl posted:

Honestly, you're going to have better results asking one of the networking threads instead of a thread focused on Mac hardware.

Thank you!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bob Morales posted:

Does this mean NVIDA and ATI are going to come out with overpriced 'Mac Edition' graphics cards again?

I doubt apple will ever dance with the green monster again, and the ATI cards will be super duper limited production run due to AMD being the "pants on head retarded" of companies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's all this about a rift between nVidia and Apple anyway? I missed that, whatever it is.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Theophany posted:

A sad indictment.

Why? Who cares?

If the total number of pros + "people who wish they were pros" is just barely enough to keep a product afloat do you think it'd be *better* if only the people who seriously "needed" the capability purchased it?

I mean, yeah, the world would certainly be better off if people doing Costco runs didn't buy F250's, but no one's hurt by tech bloggers buying more of a Mac than they need.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Why? Who cares?

If the total number of pros + "people who wish they were pros" is just barely enough to keep a product afloat do you think it'd be *better* if only the people who seriously "needed" the capability purchased it?

I mean, yeah, the world would certainly be better off if people doing Costco runs didn't buy F250's, but no one's hurt by tech bloggers buying more of a Mac than they need.

Because it means they punt out garbage hardware and gently caress their consumers by slapping a 'pro' moniker on hardware that is distinctly average and charge a premium for it. What's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander.

This is not a good state of affairs and if you can't see that then maybe you should reevaluate your lovely snobbish opinions on what constitutes a 'pro' and 'people who wish they were pros'.

I'm confused as to how not understanding that we are in this situation because of this mentality from Apple is not abundantly clear.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 4, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

I get the feeling they'll assemble the machine here so Trump doesn't bitch at them.

For sure. I'm fully expecting the base model to start at $3999. :dealwithit:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Boiled Water posted:

I doubt apple will ever dance with the green monster again, and the ATI cards will be super duper limited production run due to AMD being the "pants on head retarded" of companies.

I don't think that's true. I think it all comes down to profit margins. NVidia doesn't need to have their GPUs in Apple's products - they're doing just fine and don't need to sell their products at such low margins, while AMD definitely needs to see their products used, even if it means razor thin margins on what they sell to Apple.

I think of nVidia in this case similar to how Logitech exited the OEM business - not because they were losing money, but because the small amount of profit wasn't worth the effort.

That said, nVidia could definitely be willing to sell GPUs to Apple for a revised Mac Pro where margins are higher and NVidia is by far the best 4K/5K show in town.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I thought it was mainly about Apple hating Nvidias proprietary drivers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

If I get a MacBook Air with an i7 will that be good enough to play cs:go? Don't care if I have to play with settings on low I care about the frame rate not dipping in the middle of a firefight

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

aww :saddowns:

Don't want to buy a gaming laptop but I probably don't have a choice

eames
May 9, 2009

Escapebook Pro should be able to do that and is about the size of a MBA

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

eames posted:

Escapebook Pro

What?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

Your autocorrect is way out of control, but that would be a great name for a well built Linux laptop.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

He means the non-touchbar Macbook Pro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eames posted:

And massively more expensive.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
This really feels like they made this decision extremely recently. The fact they have what are effectively iMac Pros coming out and the fact they announced it like this makes me believe:

- The plan until recently was to kill the Mac Pro and just make an iMac Pro
- Apple was serious when they said they were out of the external display business when the LG 4K and 5K displays came out.
- They flipped on both after the frustrated response to the Touch Bar Pros from professional users took them wildly off guard and the LG displays blew up in their face due to standard non-Apple subpar QC
- It's going to take a year because they just started working on it

I do not foresee a smaller, newer cheese grater. I think we'll see some of the cheese grater philosophy and the trash can philosophy. I would not be surprised to see custom GPUs, "get what you get" storage, but I also expect to see PCI-E slots.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rex-Goliath posted:

aww :saddowns:

Don't want to buy a gaming laptop but I probably don't have a choice

Don't do it it'll be a terrible experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gaming laptops are a pipe dream. Build a gaming PC. MacOS is not what you want

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

For some reason my MacBook Pro is going to take longer to ship to the Apple Store then if I had it sent to a residential address. The Apple dude over the phone said he thinks it could be because of the volume in California but what?

Anyways, I'll have my 15" MacBook Pro with 2.9ghz, Radeon 460, and 1tb by the end of next week for pick up. Hopefully it will magically appear earlier like all my other Apple orders. Also, holy poo poo taxes in California are wacky. Shipping it to the Apple Store one city over from where I'm staying at cost me $100 USD less in taxes. I didn't know it varied so much city to city as I'm used to HST :canada:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Gaming laptops are a pipe dream. Build a gaming PC. MacOS is not what you want

I travel a lot for work and I just want something lightweight that I can play csgo on at the hotel. May just have to abandon that thought :(

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pretty much every recent mbp will play csgo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Boiled Water posted:

I thought it was mainly about Apple hating Nvidias proprietary drivers.

What gave you that impression? Apple does not care about this, they ship many third-party proprietary drivers in macOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously csgo is not demanding. My 2013 rMBP played it great even on OS X at the time.