Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Battery technology has not chanced in years. Most of the time you just need to get a cheap third party on ebay, weight it. How long it last compare to the OEM is directly proportional to how much it weight compare to the OEM.

This applied to 80% of the 3rd party battery I get. And I always get 3 batteries for every camera and phone I own. I will be the last person ditching the Note 4 and S5 since they were the last phones with removable batteries.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhhhh the moto g4 play has removable batteries and is only 100$!

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Thanks for the suggestion on the Wasabi batteries. Ordered four of them and a charger. If I ever try recording 4K on this I'll just use an outboard recorder. That way I don't have to worry about them heating up.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Massdrop is having a deal on the Fuji XF 55 - 200 F3.5-4.8 for $559. Which seems like a good deal. It looks like last time it was on sale it was $599 https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fujifilm-fujinon-xf-55-200mm-f-3-5-4-8-r-lm-ois-lens

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I love my 55-200. It has great color rendition, and at 200mm wide open it's very, very sharp. OIS works great, too!

https://goo.gl/photos/TxvXxqNZ4ijpqR6M8

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, it's a great, sharp lens, and light.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is it normal for mirrorless cameras, and the xt2 specifically, to hunt focus more as the battery winds down? mine seems like it hunts more at around 50% battery, and it gets worse as it approaches 0. Also why does Fuji design the grips so it completely drains one battery before switching to the other? Run one to 10 or 20%, then switch to the other. or drain them simultaneously. Only solution seems to be pulling the tray and switching the battery positions.

Fun fact, if you're shooting quickly, I.E. sports, you can overheat the camera :stare:

E; also, at one point it didn't recognize the grip was on.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 10, 2017

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Thinking about picking up another Olympus body; my E-PL7 is kinda mediocre, especially with the 40-150 pro. My dad picked up the E-M1 mkII and it's super nice (especially with the 40-150), but a little big an heavy and a bit more than I'm looking to spend at the moment.
Pen-F would be my pick, but it doesn't really have any grip at all (and the nice grip looks to be a bit heavy), so I think I'm looking at the E-M5 mkII or E-M10 mkII or even perhaps an original E-M1.

Any opinions on why to go one way or another?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

red19fire posted:

Is it normal for mirrorless cameras, and the xt2 specifically, to hunt focus more as the battery winds down? mine seems like it hunts more at around 50% battery, and it gets worse as it approaches 0. Also why does Fuji design the grips so it completely drains one battery before switching to the other? Run one to 10 or 20%, then switch to the other. or drain them simultaneously. Only solution seems to be pulling the tray and switching the battery positions.

Fun fact, if you're shooting quickly, I.E. sports, you can overheat the camera :stare:

I can't speak to your grip issues, but I haven't noticed any change in AF performance as the battery goes, myself.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

red19fire posted:

I have not had any issues with hunting as the battery goes down and it has never not recognized the grip. I definitely believe that it will overheat though...I am a bit worried about that. I was in a butterfly sanctuary and they kept it in the 80s in there. It was super humid so the weather sealing was good to have but the camera got extremely hot to the touch in one spot.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Lhet posted:

Thinking about picking up another Olympus body; my E-PL7 is kinda mediocre, especially with the 40-150 pro. My dad picked up the E-M1 mkII and it's super nice (especially with the 40-150), but a little big an heavy and a bit more than I'm looking to spend at the moment.
Pen-F would be my pick, but it doesn't really have any grip at all (and the nice grip looks to be a bit heavy), so I think I'm looking at the E-M5 mkII or E-M10 mkII or even perhaps an original E-M1.

Are pictures from the E-M1 mkII noticably better than the E-PL7, or is your concern mainly ergonomics with the large lens?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

em5-2 is smaller form factor and weathersealed. Em-1 is about the same size as the mk2. Caf is likely better on the em1 though. If the best ibis isn't important check out the gx7 for a rangefinder and also the g85 as that's likely the best not $2000 model atm.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Lhet posted:

The bug bit me and I bought a third body (ha im hopeless....) and it happens to be the E-M10 Mk II. It is a fantastic little camera! I bought mine as a refurb on Amazon for $339... its perfect too, appears brand new. Great grip (come on Fuji you should take a BIG hint from what Olympus did here), comfortable in hand and has some cool tech (live composite is neat).

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

em5-2 is smaller form factor and weathersealed. Em-1 is about the same size as the mk2. Caf is likely better on the em1 though. If the best ibis isn't important check out the gx7 for a rangefinder and also the g85 as that's likely the best not $2000 model atm.

Can confirm on the G85, it is a great camera. Perfect ergos (for me), beautiful 4K, IBIS is wonderful and with the most recent firmware the humming people reported doesn't happen anywhere near as much. I wasn't sure the big deal in the first place as it was the same sound as my EM5 made a couple years ago when I had it.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 10, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Main priorities are:

*Travel photography
*Macro photography
*Vlogging

I think the G85 is the right answer, opinions?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GEMorris posted:

Main priorities are:

*Travel photography
*Macro photography
*Vlogging

I think the G85 is the right answer, opinions?

*Travel photography - Small, lightweight, great grip
*Macro photography - Get a good lens, have fun .. IBIS is great
*Vlogging - LCD screen flips around so you can see yourself while you record

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If your macro is studio olympus has high res + in body stacking.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Are pictures from the E-M1 mkII noticably better than the E-PL7, or is your concern mainly ergonomics with the large lens?

E-PL7 has trouble autofocusing with the 40-150 at closer ranges, and the stabilization is actually quite noticeable (part of this could be the extra weight, but I think the jump from 3 to 5-axis stabilization makes a big difference). There's also the whole issue where the E-PL7 can't fit on a tripod with the 12-40 pro because the lens drops lower than the body.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've been thinking I want to stick with Olympus for a few nice things: Mappable buttons, focus peaking, Live Comp, phone app so I can keep up the pace with friends using cell phones (not sure if G85 has some of these). If Panasonic also has these then I'd consider switching (I assume the not-as-good G85 5-axis is still better than 3-axis).

I think I'm currently leaning towards E-M5 mkII. I'm luckily close to a nice store though (Glazer's), so I guess I can just stop by and try them out.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 10, 2017

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Lhet posted:

E-PL7 has trouble autofocusing with the 40-150 at closer ranges, and the stabilization is actually quite noticeable (part of this could be the extra weight, but I think the jump from 3 to 5-axis stabilization makes a big difference). There's also the whole issue where the E-PL7 can't fit on a tripod with the 12-40 pro because the lens drops lower than the body.

I've been thinking I want to stick with Olympus for a few nice things: Mappable buttons, focus peaking, Live Comp, phone app so I can keep up the pace with friends using cell phones (not sure if G85 has some of these). If Panasonic also has these then I'd consider switching (I assume the not-as-good G85 5-axis is still better than 3-axis).

I think I'm currently leaning towards E-M5 mkII.

There is one serious flaw I forgot to point out about the Panasonic .. the app is trash and needs a massive revamp as you have to "send" photos to the phone via the camera. G85 has a live comp mode .. sort of .. its limited to "4K Photos" and only JPEG (to my knowledge). Honestly its why I bought the little EM10 Mk II refurb (it was dirt cheap) and has 5 axis IBIS.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Went to the store and handled a few cameras with my 40-150. Found that the E-M10 mkII was a fair bit better at autofocusing the than the E-M5 mkII, but the Pen-F was noticeably better than either. None of them was really built to support the lens one-handed, so I think I might need to pick up a grip no for that no matter which one I go with. Was only there for a few minutes before it closed; I'll probably need to go back and get a better feel for the button/dial layouts before making a decision.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Does anyone know of any X-T20 deals in the EU?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The cheapest way to get Fuji kit is grey market imports from Hong Kong. If you are UK or Deutschland based I can probably recommend one but otherwise don't know cause don't speak the lingo!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Saros posted:

The cheapest way to get Fuji kit is grey market imports from Hong Kong. If you are UK or Deutschland based I can probably recommend one but otherwise don't know cause don't speak the lingo!

Please share your sources, tia.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Saros posted:

I can't find anything cheaper than around 850 pounds shipped bundled with the XC16-50 from Ireland nor Germany (if I sell the lens then I'd probably just save 40 bucks or so), any pointers?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

From a brief look i'm seeing prices around £800 for t-20 + xc 16-50 and £920?-950 for a package with the XF-18-55. I thought it would be available cheaper than that but I guess its relatively new. Silver model seems to be about £50 more expensive. Body only seems to cost about the same as the XC package.

Not sure whats going on but the T2 and T20 seem to be almost impossible to locate cheaply.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

generally speaking, Dixon's duty free at Heathrow or any of the big international airports has the best normal prices for camera equipment in the UK, and they carry a big range (including Fuji, at least at Heathrow). This doesn't account for sales, grey market stuff, eBay from other countries, etc. So if you or someone you know is flying abroad somewhere in the near future (or you know someone who works at the airport), have them check the price at Dixon's to get a ballpark or buy it for you if it's a good price.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm thinking about splurging on an X100F at some point just to have a carry around camera for my city commute.

Guess it's not likely to be discounted any time soon. Amazon can barely keep it in stock it looked like.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

Guess it's not likely to be discounted any time soon. Amazon can barely keep it in stock it looked like.
Yeah not a chance. They're still fulfilling preorders at some merchants, last I heard.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I keep going back and forth about getting one. I need a second body anyways for backup and it feels like a waste to buy a second Xpro2 when I don't have a ton of weddings booked this year (and I can rent one and bill it to the client for those anyway).

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I was on the fence about getting one, but ended up getting the 23 1.4 instead. Just came in today actually. I know the xt and 23 is a bit bigger and the lens is a bit aged, but it was a lot cheaper and I already have too many cameras to choose from when heading out. I may pick one up when they aren't a hot item.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Yeah if I didn't shoot for money I wouldn't bother but I've been working without a dedicated backup camera for almost a year now and it makes me nervous.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The 23 1.4 owns. When the 50 came out I still chose the bigger and older 56 because it, too, owns.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

8th-snype posted:

Yeah if I didn't shoot for money I wouldn't bother but I've been working without a dedicated backup camera for almost a year now and it makes me nervous.

Yeah, don't blame you there for wanting a back up.

rio posted:

The 23 1.4 owns. When the 50 came out I still chose the bigger and older 56 because it, too, owns.

Just playing with it around the house and it feels like a good solid lens. I read complaints that focusing was sluggish, but I really don't notice it. A little loud and clunky sounding maybe. The 1.4 aperture is really really nice to have again! I sold my 16mm and replaced it with a 16-55 2.8 and missed not having the wide aperture. This 23 should be great for nights out at dive bar concerts.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It is not as fast as the f2 wr primes but it is not at all sluggish. On the Xt1 I notice the difference more than the xt2 - on the latter the difference is not really noticeable to me in real life. The f2 lenses are pretty great though - I have the 35 f2 and although I don't use it as much as my other primes because the focal length is not what I usually go to it is an awesome lens.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I bought what seems like the last black X-T20 available in my country. Got the bundle with the 16-50, hopefully I'll be able to sell the lens separately.

E: sold it :cool:

E2: drat this thing is small. Any wooden grips or something similar anybody could recommend?

widunder fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 13, 2017

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

rio posted:

It is not as fast as the f2 wr primes but it is not at all sluggish. On the Xt1 I notice the difference more than the xt2 - on the latter the difference is not really noticeable to me in real life. The f2 lenses are pretty great though - I have the 35 f2 and although I don't use it as much as my other primes because the focal length is not what I usually go to it is an awesome lens.

I have the 35 f2 as well and really like it. I almost got the 23 f2, but there seems to be a special magic the 1.4 has that the f2 can't reproduce. This is based on very scientific studies. (the interwebs of bullshit forum posts and looking at Flickr photos)

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

widunder posted:

I bought what seems like the last black X-T20 available in my country. Got the bundle with the 16-50, hopefully I'll be able to sell the lens separately.

E: sold it :cool:

E2: drat this thing is small. Any wooden grips or something similar anybody could recommend?

I love JB designs grips. Classy and stylish :smuggo:

http://www.jbcameradesigns.com/shop/wood-grip-pro

widunder
May 2, 2002

Choicecut posted:

I love JB designs grips. Classy and stylish :smuggo:

http://www.jbcameradesigns.com/shop/wood-grip-pro
That does look both classy and stylish

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Choicecut posted:

I have the 35 f2 as well and really like it. I almost got the 23 f2, but there seems to be a special magic the 1.4 has that the f2 can't reproduce. This is based on very scientific studies. (the interwebs of bullshit forum posts and looking at Flickr photos)

I actually owned the f/2 and f/1.4 23mm lenses at the same time and planned to keep both but found I never used the f/1.4. The f/2 version is a tiny bit softer wide open at close distances but better in every single other way. (except being one stop slower)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

8th-snype posted:

I actually owned the f/2 and f/1.4 23mm lenses at the same time and planned to keep both but found I never used the f/1.4. The f/2 version is a tiny bit softer wide open at close distances but better in every single other way. (except being one stop slower)

I heard that more bokeh is more professional so I don't know what to say about your decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Perhaps it's coincidence but I've twice now, despite being a Canon man, had to rescue m43 EM-something-or-other owners who have turned up and not been able to participate in studio sessions. The first guy's EVF was going dark; I quickly recognised that was an issue of exposure simulation but it still took a while to figure out where to turn that off. The next time it was a woman who's EM5 mkII wouldn't fire the flashes or allow a number of other settings to be changed; eventually I found buried away in the menus that HDR had been turned on.

I'm all for all the toys they're throwing in to cameras these days, but I reckon Olympus need to work on their menus...