Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Over and under odds on the eventual Magnus redemption arc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Is it me or did Horus get the lovely end of the stick when it comes to Primarchs?

Horus: Hey Fulgrim, I have a really important thing I need you to do
Fulgrim: Does it involve sticking a squig up my arse?

Horus: Hey Angro...
Angron: Hulk SMASH!!!

Horus: Thanks for that. Hey Perturabo, you are a levelheaded guy, can you do this for me?
Perturabo: I don't want to fight, why can't I just paint pictures.

Horus: FFS. OK then. Konrad, you are not the New52 Joker, take that face of your helmet and do this
Curze: All is black, what is the point of everything. Everyone hates me. I want to cut myself.

Horus: Sigh. Mortarion?
Mortarion: Kill the witch, kill the witch.

Horus: Magnus?
Magnus: What the gently caress am I doing here?

Horus: Jesus. What a bunch of nutjobs and emotional cripples. Why can't I have people who can string more than two ideas together
Alpharius: Tell me about it. Two Legions to do all the heavy lifting. Hey, where is Lorgar?
Horus: Getting high on incense, self-flagellating and cackling to himself.

AFAIK Magnus was never allied with Horus and consistently gave Lorgar the double bird every time Lorgar tried to woo him to the heresy.

Perturabo is Frank Grimes.

Mortarion was just a little weird with the fart huffing but mostly competent until the extra weird daddy issues.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

mango sentinel posted:

AFAIK Magnus was never allied with Horus and consistently gave Lorgar the double bird every time Lorgar tried to woo him to the heresy.

Perturabo is Frank Grimes.

Mortarion was just a little weird with the fart huffing but mostly competent until the extra weird daddy issues.

lol @ Frank Grimes.

I can see a blessed container on Perts desk filled with holy inscribing tools with PROPERTY OF PERTURABO written in some filigree flowy script.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Don't forget that Alpharius may or may not have been working against Horus from the inside. At the very least the Alpha Legion pursued their own interests pretty intensely for a while there.
If I understood Legion and Deliverence Lost correctly, they were working with the Cabal before Horus was corrupted and then gave them a giant powerfist finger to pursue their own objectives while also trying to gently caress over Horus and the rest of the traitor legions.

Hell, they planted infiltration cells on Terra years before the Heresy began.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Alternative pants posted:

Don't forget that Alpharius may or may not have been working against Horus from the inside. At the very least the Alpha Legion pursued their own interests pretty intensely for a while there.
If I understood Legion and Deliverence Lost correctly, they were working with the Cabal before Horus was corrupted and then gave them a giant powerfist finger to pursue their own objectives while also trying to gently caress over Horus and the rest of the traitor legions.

Hell, they planted infiltration cells on Terra years before the Heresy began.

If I recall correctly, they sold it in a way that they had countless different contingencies prepared, with every single hidden/embedded/buried operative being prepared for countless different iterations/combinations based on the keyword they were given upon activation.

So the operatives on Terra weren't technically heretics, they were just primed for heresy through a bunch of prepared scenarios.

I was also legit pissed when the Alpha Legion hosed with Corax' geneseed and then hosed off with it for themselves. Talk about a cockblock.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I'm sure I'm going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but, I just started Prospero Burns and the loving hammering of neologism after neologism makes me feel like I jumped headlong into season 5 episode 14 of a show I've never seen. :smith:

I love all of Dan Abnett's previous books in the series, but this one is becoming a massive chore to read. What's worse, is when the neologism is used as an analogy, as if I'm supposed to understand what the "blue skinned gods of the ancient Induz" or what "a woof like a winded fjorulalli, the great seal-mother" are supposed to be. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so frequent. It seems like every paragraph has 3 instances of this happening. When I started the book, I had to keep checking that I didn't skip a few books in the series because of how left out I felt.

It's really unfortunate because every single time it takes me right out of the story and leaves me feeling like I'm just completely lost.

:ohdear: I'm sorry if this comes off as troll-y or something, it isn't, this is the only place I know of where I can post about it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The blue skinned gods of ancient india was kinda clear. But yeah the other one is not so much.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The important thing is that neither example is a neologism.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

That's true, I just couldn't figure out how to describe when an author either mashes words together to form a new word, or slightly alters existing words to make a new word, neither of which exist outside it's context.

Sure he didn't coin the terms, but he uses words and phrases over and over as if they were common and should be readily understood.

Edit: not only that, but uses those words as an analogy to describe something. :psyduck:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That's true, I just couldn't figure out how to describe when an author either mashes words together to form a new word, or slightly alters existing words to make a new word, neither of which exist outside it's context.

Sure he didn't coin the terms, but he uses words and phrases over and over as if they were common and should be readily understood.

Edit: not only that, but uses those words as an analogy to describe something. :psyduck:

Is 'portmanteau' the word you're looking for?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Note that Prospero Burns is a 40k-ized version of Eaters of the Dead. It's going to be a tad weird and fanciful.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

I would legit cream my pants if the Thousand Sons fight their way into the Golden Throne room and Magnus sits his rear end on the throne to let dad get off and gently caress poo poo up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I honestly think that if he got the chance to repent and come back he would. He knows Horus hosed him over, he watched most of his sons turn to dust. I have not read the super latest books like the new Fenris ones but from the Horus heresy books he seems pretty depressed with what he eventually becomes and basically is resigned to it since he has no other options.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Telsa Cola posted:

I"m going with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBmT8y9PAU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't most of the Thousand Sons hate Magnus for letting Prospero be destroyed? So they could have Magnus rejoin the Imperium while keeping the Thousand Sons as they are.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Also Tzeench being Tzeench I totally see it as plausible that Magnus swaps even after being a daemon prince.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

But he is still a Deamon Prince so it's probably never going to happen.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tzeench literally is the god of plans foiling his own plans. Its plausible. Also Magnus has his whole shards thing going on and most of his shards seem decent so they could do a arc about his shards merging into the one true magnus or whatever.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 22, 2017

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Tzeentch's plan to foil mankind is foiled when Magnus semi-redeems himself but then Leman Russ returns at the worst possible moment so that's another layer of foiling.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DirtyRobot posted:

Tzeentch's plan to foil mankind is foiled when Magnus semi-redeems himself but then Leman Russ returns at the worst possible moment so that's another layer of foiling.

If you assume all story lines are really just to drive model sales than the solution becomes clear.

Magnus and some of the Thousand Sons get redeemed and restored to a loyalist chapter. While Russ and some of the Space Furries fall to Chaos.

Now GW has even more models to sell.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I could totes see the wolves not necessarily falling but going rogue cause the 13th legion came back all hosed up and warp tainted and they won't cooperate with the grey knights and the inquisition and so are excommunicated by some Inquisitior

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

13th company :eng101:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I was gonna say NEEEERD, but then I remembered what thread we're in.

Also, I'm okay with no more primarchs coming back because they'll just be a bunch of sulky, pouty idiots arguing with each other and not get poo poo done at all...again.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Xae posted:

If you assume all story lines are really just to drive model sales than the solution becomes clear.

Magnus and some of the Thousand Sons get redeemed and restored to a loyalist chapter. While Russ and some of the Space Furries fall to Chaos.

Now GW has even more models to sell.

GW won't even do Fallen Dark Angels as a thing, let alone their precious chaotic-good Space Wolves as chaos.

I think the lines are pretty much drawn and people have picked their sides.

No primarchs will fall, and no Traitors will be redeemed. Magnus seems to have been made whole again, and in any case is both a daemon and his opening gambit was trying to wipe a founding Chapter. Hard to see anyone in the Imperium going "Ok, you helped us out some, you're back into the fold you filthy daemon-sorcerers, here's new aquilas for your armors!"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

New Edition Announced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A3G6JcLn24

Re: Magnus Chat.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with the Magnus and Rus role switch to sell models, but in many ways it works out. After all during the Burning of Prospero the Wolves were working for Horus and Magnus was loyal to the Emperor. The Space Puppies have been violating the Imperial Truth since the Council of Nikea and the only difference between a "Wulfen" and a Chaos Spawn is body hair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A new Edition? Didn't they just release a new one two years ago?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

A new Edition? Didn't they just release a new one two years ago?

7th edition came out in May of 2014.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's been that long? Wow. I have been out of it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Steering back to Black Library stuff...

I read Eisenhorn a while ago, and recently borrowed the Ravenor books from a friend, who said they were very good.

I like the style and the characters, though they seem a bit underdeveloped. However...

Ravenor and his team feel really, really dumb. Contrivedly dumb, even. We have to apprehend a dealer who works as a hunter for a big-rear end arena circus. Do we nab him at his home, or when he's going for a piss? Nope, we ambush him at the circus during a live show, in which the planetary government is attending so security is tripled and all of his pals and pit fighter buddies are about.

Dealing with a very corrupting, potent psychic drug when one of your key team members starts acting erratically, having wild mood swings and messing up, literally acting like someone else in front of you. Run checks, psychic or otherwise, to see if anyone has been taking them? [spoiler] Nah, that would be mean.

Having to travel with a cadre of alleged local officers [spoiler] that have been hostile to you in the past, have started trouble and messed things up purposefully before and imperiled your team. Make some plans in case they are corrupt and planning to betray you? Check their gear or minds for sensitive stuff? Nah, Inquisitors are big on blind trust.

Pretending to be dead is smart so you can operate freely, right? Well, let's keep a moronic free trader that we used specifically because he is a loose-lipped dolt unguarded and by himself at anchor so our cover can be blown instantly when it matters the most.

It feels like Ravenor is the rookie detective in Training Day instead of a genius that has been 60 years on the job.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Xae posted:

Re: Magnus Chat.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with the Magnus and Rus role switch to sell models, but in many ways it works out. After all during the Burning of Prospero the Wolves were working for Horus and Magnus was loyal to the Emperor. The Space Puppies have been violating the Imperial Truth since the Council of Nikea and the only difference between a "Wulfen" and a Chaos Spawn is body hair.

Hypocrisy has always been a core part of the 40k setting since the start, even if they have toned it down a lot since the Rogue Trader era.

Mutants are bad and must be killed on sight but without them we can't do inter-system space travel.

Psykers are bad and must be killed on sight but without them we can't do inter-system space travel and can't have ftl comms. Plus the big god guy is a psyker.

Lots more examples are around as well

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yup. There's also the 'religion is a gateway to chaos and must be purged' morphing into "The God-emperor is the realest and godliest dude". Given how wholly the Imperium embraces some of the very things the Big E freaked out about, it's kind of amazing it lasted 10k years.

The Emperor owes Lorgar a big apology for writing the basis of the system that kept mankind away from chaos better than the Emperor himself while he was alive, is all I'm saying. Maybe a fruit basket, too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Hypocrisy has always been a core part of the 40k setting since the start, even if they have toned it down a lot since the Rogue Trader era.

Mutants are bad and must be killed on sight but without them we can't do inter-system space travel.

Psykers are bad and must be killed on sight but without them we can't do inter-system space travel and can't have ftl comms. Plus the big god guy is a psyker.

Lots more examples are around as well

To me, one of the most entertaining ironies of the setting is that the same dude wrote the central holy book of both major human religions. A few recent books have mentioned Lorgar's Lectitio Divinitatus from the Heresy books as being the central holy text of the Ecclesiarchy.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Well his first book was 'the emperor is totally a god' and after being publicly punished and told to stop, his second one was 'the emperor is totally a big fat liar and the pantheon of Chaos are the true gods who like me more than my dad did'

It's funny in that the surviving Imperium adopted the work the emperor himself rejected but arguably while that allowed them to survive it equally has stunted the capacity for humanity to develop. The Imperial cult makes any kind of social change very difficult as well as creating another pole of power in the Imperial world to set off on other parts with other priorities. To get poetic, the Cult creates a fortress of belief around humanity but that fortress works just as well at preventing humanity from exploring the cosmos and finding better ideas as it does to protect against​ Chaos.

Of course big E lost after the Heresy so maybe his goal was even more disastrous.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

To me, one of the most entertaining ironies of the setting is that the same dude wrote the central holy book of both major human religions. A few recent books have mentioned Lorgar's Lectitio Divinitatus from the Heresy books as being the central holy text of the Ecclesiarchy.

my favorite warhams irony is that The "Angel", Primarch of the IX Legion, one of His Most Beloved, Regal and Nobel of all His Sons, renown for his charisma and loyalt, even laying down his life for The Emperor is a loving giant mutant with wings growing from his god drat back, nope no mutants here keep it movin but make sure you report any you see for immediate and summary execution thanks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Waroduce posted:

my favorite warhams irony is that The "Angel", Primarch of the IX Legion, one of His Most Beloved, Regal and Nobel of all His Sons, renown for his charisma and loyalt, even laying down his life for The Emperor is a loving giant mutant with wings growing from his god drat back, nope no mutants here keep it movin but make sure you report any you see for immediate and summary execution thanks.

Holy poo poo I somehow never realized the wings in all the Sanguinius art were actually part of him lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Holy poo poo I somehow never realized the wings in all the Sanguinius art were actually part of him lol

Yeah, it took me a while as well. I think I was even in denial all the way through Fear To Tread.

I kept telling myself that it's all just exaggerated metaphors or over-illustrations, and that I'm probably just misunderstanding. I mean, Corax has wings, but with a jump pack, maybe there's some sort of graviton suspensors or similar :techno: keeping him aloft.

Then, in Unremembered Empire, he literally flies, and I was all :stare:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean... I guess you never read a Blood Angels codex then?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
lol if you didn't realize they were real wings within 5 minutes of reading about Sanguinius, Lord of the Blood Angels

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean... I guess you never read a Blood Angels codex then?

I actually loving played Blood Angels when i started 40k forever and a day ago.

I can't really tell you why, and I assure you I feel like a doofus for it, but I genuinely always thought it was all this exaggerated deification of a primarch. I legit didn't think one of the emperor's perfect human creations wasn't just an angel in name, but an actual loving mutant of biblical origin, in defiance of the imperial truth and creed, and in plain sight for all to witness, no less...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well poo poo man. I don't even know what the gently caress then.