Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

totalitarian
Ah, more meaningless fantasy words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Herp Derp. I'm an idiot

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just noticed on Spotify that they have some audio books. I like horror and fantasy stuff, and they do have some Stephen King, but it's in German.

Could I get some recommendations for good stuff on there?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
learn german

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Das Dead Zone is pretty good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've had this copy of Ben Bova's Mars floating around for a while - haven't read it myself as the stars haven't aligned for it - but my dad asked for some good sci-fi to read now that he's retired and has time to read again, and now I have this wonderful problem where he won't stop telling me about how cool this book is. :allears:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
cormac mccarthy has published what is apparently his first piece of nonfiction writing, and it's here

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Amazon got rid of the Wishlist filter "Items with Price Drops only", so now I can't see when the kindle books/regular books/video games I want are on sale and I'm loving mad.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Franchescanado posted:

Amazon got rid of the Wishlist filter "Items with Price Drops only", so now I can't see when the kindle books/regular books/video games I want are on sale and I'm loving mad.

They usually send me an email when Kindle titles on my wishlist are on sale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month's BOTM

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Warlock
by Oakley Hall
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

or The Dog of the South by Charles Portis

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

Warlock
by Oakley Hall
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

or The Dog of the South by Charles Portis

Why

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Warlock is an classic western that inspired a lot of American Post-Modern writers, (including Farina, Pynchon, DeLillo, McCarthy etc.) that takes many genre conventions of westerns and fulfills them while also turning them on their head. It's basically "The greatest western that no one has read".

The Sisters Brothers is a modern western that has a lot of good reviews and gets recommended semi-regularly in TBB, it's readily available in most libraries, and again it fulfills genre conventions of Westerns without being trite.

Charles Portis is a great writer of "Southern Lit", he's most famous for True Grit, but many of his other books are dark comedies with a lot of strong weird characters going through journeys that explore the eccentric side of the American dream and the counter-culture it inspires. They're usually more character-based, some are picaresque stories.

We never read westerns and especially never read southern lit besides maybe Faulkner, and there's a lot of good stuff that gets ignored.

edited to include some links

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 24, 2017

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have a couple of suggestions:

Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami, because it's about the weirdest gang war ever.

Caribou Island by David Vann, because it's been sitting on my shelf for some time now and that one dude has been yelling at everyone to read David Vann since at least 2012.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami, because it's about the weirdest gang war ever.

This book is awesome and would be a good pick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I finished this just a few days ago and despite the rather janky translation, it was a pretty enjoyable absurdist comedy that didn't overstay its welcome. Also fairly short for what that's worth.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Robert Pirsig died today, how about zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

Warlock is an classic western that inspired a lot of American Post-Modern writers, (including Farina, Pynchon, DeLillo, McCarthy etc.) that takes many genre conventions of westerns and fulfills them while also turning them on their head. It's basically "The greatest western that no one has read".

The Sisters Brothers is a modern western that has a lot of good reviews and gets recommended semi-regularly in TBB, it's readily available in most libraries, and again it fulfills genre conventions of Westerns without being trite.

Charles Portis is a great writer of "Southern Lit", he's most famous for True Grit, but many of his other books are dark comedies with a lot of strong weird characters going through journeys that explore the eccentric side of the American dream and the counter-culture it inspires. They're usually more character-based, some are picaresque stories.

We never read westerns and especially never read southern lit besides maybe Faulkner, and there's a lot of good stuff that gets ignored.

edited to include some links

all of these sound fun. i'd like to read something with western overtones.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

do at swim two birds

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading The Dinner by Herman Koch for my book club, and man is this narrator an rear end in a top hat.

Do Herman Koch fans call themselves Koch Suckers?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Checking out Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor on Goodreads...

Half the reviews are written in Arabic or some other language I don't understand. Seems like an odd book to be popular with non-americans.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Grey posted:

Checking out Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor on Goodreads...

Half the reviews are written in Arabic or some other language I don't understand. Seems like an odd book to be popular with non-americans.

there's just a lot of arabs on goodreads

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Ellroy readers: Who would win in a fight between Bud White and Pete Bondurant?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Has anyone ever read a book about Indian settlement in the Americas from Asia? I am interested in the migration patterns and initial settlement throughout the Americas.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Budgie Jumping posted:

Ellroy readers: Who would win in a fight between Bud White and Pete Bondurant?

What book is Pete Bondurant in? I just read LA Confidential as my first Ellroy and Bud seems like he'd be a hell of a contender.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

What book is Pete Bondurant in? I just read LA Confidential as my first Ellroy and Bud seems like he'd be a hell of a contender.

He's in the next series, USA Underworld.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
reading is for hosed up dweebs and nerds

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Avshalom posted:

objection, have you ever met anyone who isn't a dweeb or nerd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Avshalom posted:

So what books have you enjoyed lately?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Colonel Sanders - yes, the Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken - now has a romance novel for Mother's Day.

It is called Tender Wings of Desire and is free for Kindle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Colonel Sanders - yes, the Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken - now has a romance novel for Mother's Day.

why

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that was bad

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

To sell chicken.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is the current state of American literature

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I read the first chapter. It would be much better served to be more over the top, but Tender Wings of Desire is not even close to the worst book (or "book," if you prefer) that I've ever read.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the wacky and ironic humor of this Brand makes it relatable to me. the Brand is my friend, and i love the Brand

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Is there a dedicated thread for magazines? Specifically the longer sort that only come out a handful of times a year? Wasn't able to find one, but I figured this is the right subforum.

Actually, hell, I might as well ask what I was going to ask that thread anyway: Anybody read Current Affairs magazine (https://www.currentaffairs.org)? Is it any good? I've quite liked a lot of the articles I've read that are on their site and as I understand it a huge amount of their content is only available in the magazine itself. I'm considering a subscription, but the cost is $60 for just a year which basically twice the price I've seen for any comparable magazine in that niche, and that makes me rather hesitant.
Anybody recommend it? Or ideally know where I might be able to get a back issue or two to see for myself? Done some searching around and have only been able to find subscriptions or copies of a British magazine of the same name that went defunct sometime in the 60's-70's.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Is there a dedicated thread for magazines?

Yeah it's called your sex life.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Is there a dedicated thread for magazines? Specifically the longer sort that only come out a handful of times a year? Wasn't able to find one, but I figured this is the right subforum.

Actually, hell, I might as well ask what I was going to ask that thread anyway: Anybody read Current Affairs magazine (https://www.currentaffairs.org)? Is it any good? I've quite liked a lot of the articles I've read that are on their site and as I understand it a huge amount of their content is only available in the magazine itself. I'm considering a subscription, but the cost is $60 for just a year which basically twice the price I've seen for any comparable magazine in that niche, and that makes me rather hesitant.
Anybody recommend it? Or ideally know where I might be able to get a back issue or two to see for myself? Done some searching around and have only been able to find subscriptions or copies of a British magazine of the same name that went defunct sometime in the 60's-70's.
Any college libraries around you? Maybe they've got copies of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Juanito posted:

Any college libraries around you? Maybe they've got copies of it.

Good idea, hadn't even considered that! Hell, I'm in college so checking there would hardly be out of the way.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Yeah it's called your sex life.
drat, son :smith: