Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Extremely Penetrated posted:

quoting from the other thread because it triggered me

My Infrastructure/Ops unit has a Networking team, and an everything-else team. We don't have tickets among ourselves for work requests, but if you want some ACLs and don't provide Networking with exactly what the gently caress needs to happen, you'll be looking for something to smash your face into. I mean, if I say I need WinRM access from hostA to hostB, and they come back demanding IPs and port ranges and interfaces and documentation supporting the change, then what's their job? If I gather all that I might as well just spend the 30 seconds in ASDM myself. I even get brought in to work with other units who need firewall changes, just to research their requirements and bring it all back to Networking wrapped in a bow.

I'm their bitch.

I was writing a longer response but then I realized our service desk very rarely sends firewall request through without all those details and when they do it's usually because it's due to a problem they can't diagnose which is fair.

If you sent me a job without those details I'd probably assume you don't know what your requirements are. If you don't know the ports, and IP addresses, and have documentation your application probably isn't ready for any firewall changes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only firewall changes I get asked to make are for peoples home addresses these days, which I have to do regardless of it being stupid. These people will then complain that after a day i've "revoked" their access.

I haven't revoked it you tit, your IP has changed again, because your home IP isn't static. You actually work on the IT team. I've told you this at least five times. Stop being stupid.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

dogstile posted:

The only firewall changes I get asked to make are for peoples home addresses these days, which I have to do regardless of it being stupid. These people will then complain that after a day i've "revoked" their access.

I haven't revoked it you tit, your IP has changed again, because your home IP isn't static. You actually work on the IT team. I've told you this at least five times. Stop being stupid.

Just make them use a VPN?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think it's that unreasonable to have to supply ports, protocols, source and destinations when raising requests for firewall changes to be made.

I agree. Figuring out how to get two boxes to talk to each other isn't Network's job. They just provide the wires and hardware, as well as a second set of eyes to look at the proposed changes, double checking that they make sense and won't break anything else.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's for a report server, so it's a client thing. We whitelist their place of work, but we've been making exceptions for certain clients because "reasons".

Anyway, that's all taking a backseat because some idiot just got hit with the cerber crypto poo poo, so my day is pretty much booked now. :shrug:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

then what's their job?

Probably monitoring network flow for bottlenecks, watching for rogue devices, maintaining the infrastructure, likely running cables, possibly setting up servers depending on your infrastructure, dealing with VPN issues, resetting configs on routers, replacing switches. You know, networking. Not guessing what your requirements are for a change.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PremiumSupport posted:

I agree. Figuring out how to get two boxes to talk to each other isn't Network's job. They just provide the wires and hardware, as well as a second set of eyes to look at the proposed changes, double checking that they make sense and won't break anything else.

Not these days. When vlans, trunking, and ip helpers are things that organizations have enabled getting networking involved with basic troubleshooting happens quite often.

Especially when said networking group has no form of configuration management and people regularly forget what is or is not turned on on a given switch. SOP for my group if a new server can't get a dhcp address is ring up networking and ask them to verify ip helpers for the associated port. :downs:

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
When I'm asked to provision a new VM (or deploy some storage, or package an app for distribution, etc) I don't push back some template asking for every little config detail. I'll read the vendor's docs and figure out what they'll need. When I'm not sure about something I'll ask. Doing research like this is part of the job, and I don't see why Networking should be exempt. We're all paid the same :shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There was a post in SH/SC or YOSPOS a while back, which was a long effort post about someone that used to be a developer that worked on an automated sewing machine, that for some reason the manufacturing company had a low-end version that worked on cow manure, and how a certain opcode would case the threading to go through the manure. They were never quite able to solve it, and to this day <opcode which was actually a user's name> makes lovely threads.

Does anyone know what post that was? I'm trying to find it to reference for someone else and I simply cannot find it from searching.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I just had a random old laptop show up from a branch location. It was a return of a laptop from a former employee. After some digging, it was from an employee that left the company 7 years ago.

Strangely though it is missing my inventory tags and is not joined to the domain, so I never knew it was missing. It predates the creation of our AD domain and inventory scanning.

The store held onto it for 7 years.. and just decided to send it back. Better late than never I suppose.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 19, 2017

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Through some seriously manipulative bullshit, my chances of sliding off the team I'm on into another have been canned.

My boss also told me that I'm "too bitchy" to be promoted to a technical lead role. Ever. And that my technical skills are above a senior level.

But I should push back more when I'm given more work than can be done in the scope provided.

In related news, I have PMs, references, and shower--anyone know someone that's hiring a non-senior data Scientist / data analyst? :yotj:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

meanieface posted:

My boss also told me that I'm "too bitchy" to be promoted to a technical lead role. Ever. And that my technical skills are above a senior level.

Don't know if this is applicable, or how much you care, but:

http://www.kielichlawfirm.com/employment-law/sex-discrimination/

quote:

In sex discrimination cases this kind of discrimination often arises in hiring or promotion practices. Women are often the victim of this form of discrimination because they may be stereotyped as “too weak” or “too feminine” to work in manual labor jobs or “too weak”, “too assertive”, “too bitchy”, or “too attractive to be taken seriously” in white collar jobs. Many jobs carry gender or sex stereotypes that one sex or the other should be the only ones to handle those jobs. Some jobs are stereotyped as “male jobs” and some as “female jobs” and the opposite sex may have a hard time getting hired or promoted into those positions.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

meanieface posted:

Through some seriously manipulative bullshit, my chances of sliding off the team I'm on into another have been canned.

But I should push back more when I'm given more work than can be done in the scope provided.

In related news, I have PMs, references, and shower--anyone know someone that's hiring a non-senior data Scientist / data analyst? :yotj:

If you're a woman that's some straight up discrimination using not very good code words. I know that it's not always realistic to go to HR on something like this or even lawyer up. Getting the gently caress out of there is a good move.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

meanieface posted:

Sent you a PM.

Also, if you got any of that in writing, enjoy your sacks of cash from the lawsuit.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What if you actually are too bitchy, forums user "meanieface"?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I don't know if that's just meant to be awful sarcasm that's not translating, but please don't do that.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Volmarias posted:

There was a post in SH/SC or YOSPOS a while back, which was a long effort post about someone that used to be a developer that worked on an automated sewing machine, that for some reason the manufacturing company had a low-end version that worked on cow manure, and how a certain opcode would case the threading to go through the manure. They were never quite able to solve it, and to this day <opcode which was actually a user's name> makes lovely threads.

Does anyone know what post that was? I'm trying to find it to reference for someone else and I simply cannot find it from searching.
Apparently it was in Cavern of Cobol.

That Turkey Story posted:

I work as a programmer coding software for an automatic sewing machine that runs entirely on cow manure to be used primarily by wives of cattle farmers (not even kidding). Despite how it sounds, we somehow have a steady stream of consumers and the software itself is surprisingly complicated -- the machine manages all different kinds of needles and threads, switching between them via a simple interface and it alerts the user when spools are running low, etc. It's not exactly the most fun work I've done, but it's unique and it pays well.

Anyway, the code-base is absolutely garbage and it makes heavy use of factories for creating any and all objects. What's even worse is that the coding standard here for factories is to use all single letter identifiers that consist of the first letter of the word that they represent. The exception to this rule is that if you want to represent something that is two or more words long, you use the first letter of each of those words (I.E. the generic factory for creating objects that represent "Needles" is a global object simply called "n" and the factory that produces objects that represent "Tatting Needles" is called "tn" :doh:). Furthermore, we have a strict versioning convention where you append "v#" to any new factory name that is a revised version of another factory where # is the version number). For instance, at some point early on in development before I got here, the type for representing upholstery needle's was totally revamped and a new type was created -- rather than reuse the same factory name, the old one still exists, but if you want the new type, you have to use the "unv2" factory, where "unv2" stands for upholstery needle version 2. Couple this with the fact that there are pretty much no comments and you get impossible to read code that you have to analyze to figure out what it's supposed to be doing.

Case in point, we have different factories for threading needles that work with different internal types based on whether the machine is running on cow manure or bull manure or a combination, so there is a factory "nc" for "no cow" if it is trying to thread a needle when running strictly on bull manure, "cb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on cow and/or bull manure, and "nb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on just cow manure. What's worse is, these factories are constantly being revised so seeing an expression like "cbv3()" for "cow and bull version 3" is way too common.

To make a long story short, one afternoon back in 2002 I was making updates to the threading functionality and when I tested my changes on the actual machine, everything seemed to work fine except that whenever I went to work with strictly bull manure, all the spools were getting covered in feces! I looked back at my code but because it was a long day I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I just started a new version of the "no bull" code and increased the version count to 5.

Everything works fine now if you use the latest factory, but to this day, nbv4 produces nothing but lovely threads.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 19, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is a masterpiece

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

meanieface posted:

Where are you located?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Sorry, but that is a setup and punchline joke right? I can't tell if there is an actual poo poo sewing machine or not.

Edit: Took me too long to figure out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3216686

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm still trying to envisage how a sewing machine can run on poo, like I get that you can rig up a car to run on burning wood but a sewing machine?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you can burn something you can generate steam and with steam you can create mechanical force.

But modifying code paths based on gender? Bullshit.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

porktree posted:

If you're a woman that's some straight up discrimination using not very good code words. I know that it's not always realistic to go to HR on something like this or even lawyer up. Getting the gently caress out of there is a good move.

I don't have it in writing, unfortunately. I know what it is, and it's awful. Trying to play the line between too 'aggressive' and too 'passive' is exhausting. Getting phone calls from other managers because they're worried about me due to the ongoing toxicity coming from my direct management team, also exhausting. The coded version that was in writing was "be mindful of what your role is". :rolleyes:

milk milk lemonade posted:

Where are you located?

A flyover state with not much in the way of these jobs. One of the more honest recruiters here referred to finding big data jobs as "a unicorn".

Mr. Meanieface has taken the past few weeks as a sign from above that "a change might be good", so moving to the west coast is an option now.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

meanieface posted:

I don't have it in writing, unfortunately. I know what it is, and it's awful. Trying to play the line between too 'aggressive' and too 'passive' is exhausting. Getting phone calls from other managers because they're worried about me due to the ongoing toxicity coming from my direct management team, also exhausting. The coded version that was in writing was "be mindful of what your role is". :rolleyes:

A flyover state with not much in the way of these jobs. One of the more honest recruiters here referred to finding big data jobs as "a unicorn".

Mr. Meanieface has taken the past few weeks as a sign from above that "a change might be good", so moving to the west coast is an option now.

How about east coast? see the PM i sent you. The company I work for would love to have more data scientists; its a big part of what we currently do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shalhavet posted:

Apparently it was in Cavern of Cobol.

There it is, thank you!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

When I'm asked to provision a new VM (or deploy some storage, or package an app for distribution, etc) I don't push back some template asking for every little config detail. I'll read the vendor's docs and figure out what they'll need. When I'm not sure about something I'll ask. Doing research like this is part of the job, and I don't see why Networking should be exempt. We're all paid the same :shrug:

Our department used to manage all the firewalls as well as the networking portion. If I had to spend time researching every application that was being deployed for what firewall ports it needed, along with figuring out what servers it needed to talk to, I would have never caught up. Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me that if you want a program to talk between servers, that you figure out what it needs.
I'd help them if they weren't sure, or follow traffic logs if I had time, but if someone had all the info right in the CO, then I can get their stuff running quicker.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Agreed, if you're truly stuck and what you've asked isn't working then i'll have a look and give you a a hand. If you're just saying "yeah make this program work for me" then you can gently caress off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dogstile posted:

Agreed, if you're truly stuck and what you've asked isn't working then i'll have a look and give you a a hand. If you're just saying "yeah make this program work for me" then you can gently caress off.

Absolutely.

If you need X to go through the network, it's on you to tell Networking what resources you need. They aren't asking you to create ACL statements. Just SRC, DST, PORTS and PROTOCOL.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flosofl posted:

Absolutely.

If you need X to go through the network, it's on you to tell Networking what resources you need. They aren't asking you to create ACL statements. Just SRC, DST, PORTS and PROTOCOL.

That, unfortunately, presumes that the person/department trying to get X working knows what they need, or even that their vendor knows what they need.

I can not even count how many times I've had customers come to me saying "the firewall" was blocking their application and that the vendor said they needed port whatever open inbound to all PCs. In a NAT environment.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

xzzy posted:

But modifying code paths based on gender? Bullshit.
Or cowshit, depending on the factory. :v:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

meanieface posted:

Sorry to hear about your job dead-ending.

But we are always hiring.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 20, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well this is new, the bathroom smells heavily of weed.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
It's 420 you see...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

pixaal posted:

Well this is new, the bathroom smells heavily of weed.

Auhuhu hey maaan, you ever worked a job....ON WEED?!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I don't see how anyone could work a real job while high, like there's no loving way I could do mine because if I had to talk to a customer or even co-worker about something it would be awful.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I struggle enough after a couple of pints in the sun on a Friday lunchtime

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I struggle enough after just a cup of coffee in the morning.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

MF_James posted:

I don't see how anyone could work a real job while high, like there's no loving way I could do mine because if I had to talk to a customer or even co-worker about something it would be awful.
It just takes some practice, like they say in the army, fight the way you train. If you weren't high during training then smdh

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MF_James posted:

Yeah, it's never the job, it's the people, that get in the way of OTJ substance abuse.

I did my last couple semesters of CS mostly high, but only because I could hide in my room and pump DnB while I cranked through code.

I made sure to do design and spec sober though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why are so many application developers totally incapable of getting search right? Why does this piece of poo poo application I am trying to use not support any way to search for two words that must appear in the results, and instead treats everything as OR, even when surrounded in quotes?