Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Grouchio posted:

Well the senate can't filibuster anymore so that's out.

What else would cause a shutdown? Lack of spending funds?

The Freedom Caucus shrieking at the bog-standard GOP with the Dems sitting on the sidelines unable to make a real deal with Trump, who doesn't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My understanding is that the GOP needs some dems on board to get a spending bill through. For some reason I think the new filibuster rule doesn't apply? Shutdown happens next Friday if they don't pass something.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The McConnell rule only applies to judicial nominees, there's definitely still a filibuster.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

jiffypop45 posted:

Data scientist means working on distributed computer systems that bring in a huge amount of data. It's likely the data they're bringing in is physics related. One of our programs where I work is a big data application. It's not unheard of by any stretch and something I've seen in job recs with my current "get out of Texas asap" job hunt.

Why do you want to get out of Texas? (curious cause I was looking at a job there)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NintyFresh posted:

ED is moving towards more telework. At least in my office, we do 80% (8 days home/2 in office per pay period) since we have to share our cubicles with two other people. Several people live where they want and just bunch their 2 days together so they can just fly in. The only reason we haven't gone 100% is because our HR doesn't want to deal with locality pay changes apparently.

We have the same requirements as far as 2 days in the office per pay period and I've been curious why that requirement exists. Is it just because of locality pay issues?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Rakeris posted:

Why do you want to get out of Texas? (curious cause I was looking at a job there)

https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/SB6/2017

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hmmm, I'm guessing without clicking this is the anti-trans bill. Im doubting it's school finance reform.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Dislike button posted:

We have the same requirements as far as 2 days in the office per pay period and I've been curious why that requirement exists. Is it just because of locality pay issues?

It's the locality/permanent duty station thing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember when Republicans thought it was a cool idea to run all-in on defining marriage as between a man and a woman in the mid-2000s. I think the turnaround on this looking objectively evil to the majority of the country is a lot shorter, though. Like...probably already. Sigh.

At least the trans* military ban is still, currently, gone? One of my old roommates was a trans woman who had been basically the only [specific type of engineer] willing to volunteer for [specific very undesirable engineering job] and then of course once she transitioned it was like "welp, guess we do not need that position filled anymore, bye!" I wonder if she can go back now? How does that work? This is not really a question for this thread, huh.

Delorence Fickle posted:

I think GSA has some full time telework positions. As for USPTO, it's not just the patent examiners that telework full time, but drat near everyone here teleworks to some extent. Hell even I work from home 100% and I'm not an examiner.

Since this freeze, a lot units here are damned short of staff, so you could straight up take your pick on what you want to do here.
Duly noted for GSA. And the Patent Office thing sounds great except...it does not exactly look like there are any job openings at your office. Is this one of those situations where I should talk to the human resources people in charge of the patent office and be like "hello please let me attempt to non-competitively take any job in your office?"

NintyFresh posted:

ED is moving towards more telework. At least in my office, we do 80% (8 days home/2 in office per pay period) since we have to share our cubicles with two other people. Several people live where they want and just bunch their 2 days together so they can just fly in. The only reason we haven't gone 100% is because our HR doesn't want to deal with locality pay changes apparently.
The Department of Education is still allowed to exist?! Cool! I doubt I have the credentials to work there but I will add it to my small-but-growing "maybe this place would hire me and let me not really be at work much at all" list.

I find it fascinating that literally no job seems to use the "Telework" option on USAJobs, though, given that of the 10,000+ jobs currently available, 0 are listed as Teleworkable.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
My office is assuming the shutdown happens, and has identified who they want to keep on and who they'll let go. One of my coworkers is on a great detail that will be really good for his career, and they're saying he'll be called back after less than two weeks if the shutdown happens. As for me, I hope they don't declare me vital. I'm not important, and barely useful

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember when Republicans thought it was a cool idea to run all-in on defining marriage as between a man and a woman in the mid-2000s. I think the turnaround on this looking objectively evil to the majority of the country is a lot shorter, though. Like...probably already. Sigh.

At least the trans* military ban is still, currently, gone? One of my old roommates was a trans woman who had been basically the only [specific type of engineer] willing to volunteer for [specific very undesirable engineering job] and then of course once she transitioned it was like "welp, guess we do not need that position filled anymore, bye!" I wonder if she can go back now? How does that work? This is not really a question for this thread, huh.

Duly noted for GSA. And the Patent Office thing sounds great except...it does not exactly look like there are any job openings at your office. Is this one of those situations where I should talk to the human resources people in charge of the patent office and be like "hello please let me attempt to non-competitively take any job in your office?"

The Department of Education is still allowed to exist?! Cool! I doubt I have the credentials to work there but I will add it to my small-but-growing "maybe this place would hire me and let me not really be at work much at all" list.

I find it fascinating that literally no job seems to use the "Telework" option on USAJobs, though, given that of the 10,000+ jobs currently available, 0 are listed as Teleworkable.

Mattis said he doesn't care. He just wants to make the best armed services he can and will welcome anyone who helps (that's a paraphrase of what I gleaned from his confirmation hearing). So I think it's unlikely it will be rolled back at all.

Even at a national level I'd be surprised if anything was done under Trump. The states on the other hand are something else entirely.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

The IRS won't let you telework at all for the first year, and I imagine other agencies have similar rules. It may explain why the telework option isn't used on job listings.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

The IRS won't let you telework at all for the first year, and I imagine other agencies have similar rules. It may explain why the telework option isn't used on job listings.

I think it tends to be more of a private sector thing. At my job they absolutely forbid it (I'm a contractor not a fed employee, we seemed to have lost the contractor thread). Since the oversight is so much higher due to the funding source.

Though I have a friend that does software engineering for lockmart and they let her telework. But she's in DC so it might make more sense in light of traffic. :shrug:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I would 100% give up my office and stay on RUS locality pay in exchange for being able to telework permanently from wherever I chose to live

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Word on the street is that Claims Examiners for the SSA do full telework. At least, that's what my coworker said about her husband.

As far as a shutdown is concerned, pretty sure our agency isn't "vital", so it looks like some mandatory unpaid vacation time is in the cards.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I would probably allow my pay to be frozen at its current level for a decade if it meant I could never have to go to an office.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

What's everyone's motivation exactly for wanting to telework? I'd just end up getting distracted at home or fat snacking all the time.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
No commute, less noise, co-workers can't just wander over to my desk and ask inane questions, no commute, kitchen's right there so I can cook something for lunch instead of packing something or going out, no dress code, no commute.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah but what about doughnut days and happy hours and office romances?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I cannot speak for anyone else, but my goal is to fat-snack 24/7.

For me, it is pretty much all about wanting to be sure my partner and I can both have meaningful careers. And considering she is in music, we can guess which of us is more likely to have a useful teleworking career. She is also the one whose abilities and achievements are far more likely to land a tenure-track job, so I would like to be able to keep working for the government in some capacity no matter where she ends up finding a sweet gig.

I cannot for the life of me think of why I would have cared about teleworking when I was single, though. But if I actually worked in a major metropolitan area, my hatred of traffic-based commuting and instant nausea on public transportation would probably mean I wanted to telework all the time in that situation too.

Edit: I am giggling at the "no dress code" perk though, as we are still required to wear business casual at home per our particular telework agreement. And yes, I already know stories of more than one person (including one I know personally!) who had their telework privileges removed for not wearing appropriate clothes at home.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 23, 2017

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

sullat posted:

Word on the street is that Claims Examiners for the SSA do full telework. At least, that's what my coworker said about her husband.

This wasn't the case two years ago when I was a Claims Representative for SSA. They were just striking a tentative "telework pilot" but it was pretty limited in scope. I would be surprised if most claims reps can telework more than a couple days per pay period. Most have regular face to face appointments with the public, anyways. I wasn't in a public facing role and I didn't even get to do the pilot.

My current job gives me up to five days per pay period, which is pretty slick as far as I'm concerned. In practice, I just do one or maybe two days per week. We deal with mostly physical paper files still (fed.txt), so it can be cumbersome to do a few consecutive days.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Also, considering that commute time is uncompensated time, a telework position gives you back three week's worth of life over the course of a year. (assuming 1 hour commute each way)

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice

Max Peck posted:

No commute, less noise, co-workers can't just wander over to my desk and ask inane questions, no commute, kitchen's right there so I can cook something for lunch instead of packing something or going out, no dress code, no commute.

Telework would be the dream man; move to a town where alot of things are in biking distance or good public transit. Sell your car and bike everywhere when you're not working If you have a S/O you can use their car whenever one is needed. Imagine all the saved money.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Do you guys work for agencies that actually have stable internet connections? My stuff is slow enough in the office. I can't imagine trying to log in from home.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Max Peck posted:

With autism accommodations I might just get that right off the bat.

counting
Dec 11, 2011
I full time telework now but didn't know about the benefit until after I started. The process took like 6 months to get approved and they only take applications once a year at my agency. You can start 1-2 days a week right away if your work allows it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah but what about doughnut days and happy hours and office romances?

I work in IT, so none of this applies.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

I work in IT, so none of this applies.

I had an IT office romance at my last job with one of the help desk girls. I absolutely do not recommend it.

One of my coworkers brings kolaches and donuts about once every month or two.

However I agree. Most IT types are introverted lone wolves which precludes the previous two. So I understand this is an exception.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

jiffypop45 posted:

However I agree. Most IT types are introverted lone wolves which precludes the previous two. So I understand this is an exception.

It took over a year before I could get anybody on my team to go to lunch.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm state government. I get 1 telework day a week. Im also 50% travel. I can go weeks without being in the office if i stagger travel right.

But I'm lollin' at your offices where you aren't friends with everyone. We don't hang out often outside of work, but we do lots of lunches and sometimes are in the road together for weeks. I'd go insane if I didn't have a friendly team.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Deeters posted:

Do you guys work for agencies that actually have stable internet connections? My stuff is slow enough in the office. I can't imagine trying to log in from home.

Our telework system was down half a day on Thursday. The only notifications sent out were through email, which we couldn't access. Calling our help desk led to finding out the lines were overloaded. Other than that, it's stable most of the time. The real bottleneck is with the laptops themselves since it takes 20 minutes to boot them up and god help you if you have a large Excel file to work on.

I enjoy my telework policy since I have a 90 minute commute. We decided to live where we live because of telework. Not having to spend 15 hours a week on a train is glorious, plus I can pick a daycare by my home, which is way cheaper than anything closer to D.C.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nope, even HR doesn't know what to do at this point. There's a boatload of people stuck in perpetual "acting" status that cant be officially promoted yet. Hell, somebody even did a FOIA request about how many positions are vacant here:

http://gizmodo.com/here-are-all-the-jobs-the-patent-office-cant-fill-becau-1794030554

jiffypop45 posted:

What's everyone's motivation exactly for wanting to telework? I'd just end up getting distracted at home or fat snacking all the time.

No more commuting, no more eating out at work and the ability to exercise at home.

Longer term I can sell my current home here in DC and move to a lower COL city in the south.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do you full-time telework folks ever have to go into the office?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Delorence Fickle posted:

Nope, even HR doesn't know what to do at this point. There's a boatload of people stuck in perpetual "acting" status that cant be officially promoted yet. Hell, somebody even did a FOIA request about how many positions are vacant here:

http://gizmodo.com/here-are-all-the-jobs-the-patent-office-cant-fill-becau-1794030554
Even HR does not know what to do. Sad!

On one hand it would be nice if the freeze were fully gone, but on the other I imagine it will be harder than ever to get jobs once everyone applies to move at once.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I have to go in once or twice a week--and before starting, I was never told the "or twice" was a thing, which when you live 3 hours from your office is relevant information. Hence why I would prefer an entirely virtual job, with maybe quarterly meetings in some central office being acceptable. MAYBE.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: I am giggling at the "no dress code" perk though, as we are still required to wear business casual at home per our particular telework agreement. And yes, I already know stories of more than one person (including one I know personally!) who had their telework privileges removed for not wearing appropriate clothes at home.

what the gently caress. What could possibly be the reason for this? Do you have to interface with the public via video or something?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I got my first time off award ever. 8 hours of annual leave in return for training 2 new hires for 6 months :toot:

I'll take what I can get though, and thankfully got my 13 earlier this year so not a lot to complain about work-wise

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Every once in a while for mandatory meetings and training. We get notified well in advance when we have to come in.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

This wasn't the case two years ago when I was a Claims Representative for SSA. They were just striking a tentative "telework pilot" but it was pretty limited in scope. I would be surprised if most claims reps can telework more than a couple days per pay period. Most have regular face to face appointments with the public, anyways. I wasn't in a public facing role and I didn't even get to do the pilot.

At the processing center (not face to face with the public), most SSA positions are 1-2 days per week telework. There are definitely some contract limitations and disagreements between management and the union holding things back.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dislike button posted:

what the gently caress. What could possibly be the reason for this? Do you have to interface with the public via video or something?
That might make sense. As far as we can tell, it is because whoever is responsible for setting up our telework agreement took the fact that it is supposed to be "just like working in the office" a little too seriously. Though apparently the one allowance is that you do not have to wear shoes!

I would say that the only way anyone has been busted was when the compliance officer conducted a random site visit quarterly, but now I know someone who was busted because she posted pictures of herself lounging in pajamas while working from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Our telework agreement stipulates that you can only attach a single monitor to your laptop using a VGA connection.

It's, um, uniformly ignored by everybody.