Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

I think you're just gonna want to mix more water retaining soil stuff in to your bed. Compost, soaked wood chips, horse stall scrapings, stuff like that.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I'd have to buy some, but I discovered that I can get free compost from my city's recycling program. Now I have a lot.

I spent many hours this week digging out gravel, so I will get to have a proper-sized garden this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Trillian posted:

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I'd have to buy some, but I discovered that I can get free compost from my city's recycling program. Now I have a lot.

I spent many hours this week digging out gravel, so I will get to have a proper-sized garden this year.

This might be of interest to you, from a few pages back in the thread in case you missed it:

Cpt.Wacky posted:

That's a fine way to test if stuff grows in it but doesn't really address the safety issue.

Municipal compost often contains sewage sludge, the material left over from treating sewage water. Many areas also have a combined sewer and storm water system. Between the cleaning products and medications that people flush down the toilet and all the potential run off from streets like gas, diesel, oil, hydraulic fluid, antifreeze, etc. I wouldn't recommend using compost made with sewage sludge at all. There is an argument to be made for using it on fruit trees and perennials but it really shouldn't ever come into contact with stuff you eat like annual veggies in your garden.

Municipalities have a problem disposing of sewage sludge and try to rid of some of it through composting with yard waste, which may also have things sprayed on it. They attempt to spin the sewage sludge as a good thing by calling it biosolids, calling the finished product something nice like Garden Glory, and claiming it has been fully tested and gets an A+ rating. All that is required for that is the minimum federal standards around pathogens like e coli, salmonella and fecal coliform.

If you want to read more about what is actually in sewage sludge then check out the EPA's national​ targeted sewage sludge surveys: https://www.epa.gov/biosolids/sewage-sludge-surveys

Of course, your city's compost could be totally fine, but it might be worth looking into.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Every bagged compost I have seen at Homedepot has an animal's poo poo and piss in it, so don't buy that either.

In fact, the ground has worm poop in it, guess you are limited to hydroponics.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's (human waste) been used in U.K. crop growing for decades, in our area there is a new thing where we have too much paper being collected for recycling than they can handle, so it's being mulched and given to farmers to put of the fields for free.

I bought the trees for my small orchard :dance: four apple and a cherry on M106 rootstock/colt. Also stuff has been sown in my allotment and propigators. Can't get down there this weekend but next week will be a hive of activity as stuff like potatoes and a decent digging fork gets delivered.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ugh. I was replanting some flowers for my dad, and his garden bed smelled terrible. Like death and sewage. He said it was the fertilizer he put on last year. WTF? Isn't that chemical stuff supposed to break down after awhile?

I make my compost out of cat poo poo, wood chips, old cracked eggs and other food scraps, and hot composting it, and after a year it smells like a god drat fresh spring morning.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Every bagged compost I have seen at Homedepot has an animal's poo poo and piss in it, so don't buy that either.

In fact, the ground has worm poop in it, guess you are limited to hydroponics.

Poop and pee, properly composted, is good to put on your garden and everyone should do more of it. The issue here is everything else that can potentially be in the sewage sludge. I'm not saying don't use municipal compost at all ever. Ask the producer what the inputs are, think through what could possibly be in those inputs and then make a decision about whether you want to use it in your garden.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ugh. I was replanting some flowers for my dad, and his garden bed smelled terrible. Like death and sewage. He said it was the fertilizer he put on last year. WTF? Isn't that chemical stuff supposed to break down after awhile?

It really depends on what is was. Bad smells like that usually come from anerobic bacteria, which could be caused by very wet or compacted soil. A good amount of steer manure could still have a smell after a year if the conditions didn't lead to much decomposition. Some organic fertilizers can have bad smells too like blood meal or liquid fish/fish emulsion, and they take longer to break down too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can get felt pots which, for obvious reasons, you can't seriously overwater.

You can put dessicants into the bottom of pots also to absorb some extra water.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Poop and pee, properly composted, is good to put on your garden and everyone should do more of it. The issue here is everything else that can potentially be in the sewage sludge. I'm not saying don't use municipal compost at all ever. Ask the producer what the inputs are, think through what could possibly be in those inputs and then make a decision about whether you want to use it in your garden.

If you look into it, you will find that chickens are fed WAY more antibiotics, hormones, etc. than the average American.
Chicken manure is found in every bagged compost and bagged organic fertilizer than I have looked at. It is properly composted, just like the municipal compost.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Had this little guy for two weeks. I haven't watered him yet, just stuck him in a terra cotta next to a south-facing window and he's been getting progressively droopier. Is he not getting enough sun? Do I need to transplant him into sandier soil?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I have never successfully grown rosemary in a pot.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They like alkaline soil mixed with sand and lots of sun. if the window is cold in the morning then he won't like that - forgetting this is what has always killed mine.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

kedo posted:

This might be of interest to you, from a few pages back in the thread in case you missed it:

Of course, your city's compost could be totally fine, but it might be worth looking into.

This is interesting info. In this case the compost comes from the kitchen waste collection program, so I probably don't have much to fear aside from whatever weird things people put in their bins. The city won't collect your bin if you have the temerity to put yard waste in it, so I assume they're keeping it separate. I didn't ask about it, though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finally got all the dirt and things mixed into the beds, and filled up the beds in the front of the house, everything planted. Kept waiting for the rain to show up today so I would know if I had to water everything or not.

Our beds are currently flooded and not draining all that fast. :sigh:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If you look into it, you will find that chickens are fed WAY more antibiotics, hormones, etc. than the average American.
Chicken manure is found in every bagged compost and bagged organic fertilizer than I have looked at. It is properly composted, just like the municipal compost.

It's not really the antibiotics you need to be worried about.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/04/cocaine-london-sewers-highest-level-europe-drug-uk

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Finally got all the dirt and things mixed into the beds, and filled up the beds in the front of the house, everything planted. Kept waiting for the rain to show up today so I would know if I had to water everything or not.

Our beds are currently flooded and not draining all that fast. :sigh:

Are they raised beds? Drill some holes!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Are they raised beds? Drill some holes!

They sure are, and I may do that. I will probably have to replant the seeds.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Hold on, I'm going to go snort my garden.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They sure are, and I may do that. I will probably have to replant the seeds.

If you have bad draining soil it might be worth starting over with the raised bed(s), dig down a bit and dump some gravel under ground level.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can have all the gravel and builders rubble that's on the surface of my garden for free if you like.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

learnincurve posted:

You can have all the gravel and builders rubble that's on the surface of my garden for free if you like.

Crosspost to show what you should be doing with your rocks:
Every digging session is an adventure. Found some neat fossils to boot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

snucks posted:

Had this little guy for two weeks. I haven't watered him yet, just stuck him in a terra cotta next to a south-facing window and he's been getting progressively droopier. Is he not getting enough sun? Do I need to transplant him into sandier soil?

this is a troll right

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

coyo7e posted:

this is a troll right

Could go either way. Overwatering Rosemary is just as bad as underwatering.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

snucks posted:

You need to water it. Plants like Rosemary, Lavender, etc are drought tolerant/low water need once established. Dropping it in some dry potting soil is just gonna suck the moisture out of the plant.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Made a video of my new raised beds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WckBiziNjqc

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Awesome. I still haven't copied your planter block beds yet but I hope to get them up in a couple weeks. I'm desperate to get some berry bushes going since I won't get a harvest for a couple years. Also want to get the strawberries going so I can pinch flowers and let the plants explode this year.

Any tips for killing the grass with dogs? I wanted to use wet cardboard but the dogs will probably shred that poo poo everywhere. How many days does it take to kill off the grass by smothering it? Otherwise my alternative is to dig it up.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

coyo7e posted:

this is a troll right
Not a troll. My indoor gardening experience is limited to ferns and seedlings I keep continually moist and succulents I water twice a month. I've successfully grown rosemary outdoors two years in a row following a biweekly watering so I didn't realize I was loving up this badly :v:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Finally bought our own tiller to go with the new house. Tilled up the previous owners fenced in dog run over the weekend for hopefully deer resistant gardening and HOLY poo poo THIS YARD IS FULL OF ROCKS. The new tiller handled it like a boss, even broke a few of the quartz chunks up but it still kicked my rear end all over the yard.

I've never seen so much quartz in one place.

I added a 5000+ lumen LED light to the rear corner of the house, hopefully between it and the fence I won't have to merc Bambi this summer - I'm not optimistic though. One morning after work I watched twenty something deer walk into the tree line in the back yard.

mischief fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 23, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Are those corner/joining posts store bought or homemade?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...AodqHYDvw#spf=1

Spookydonut posted:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-8-in-x-8-in-x-6-in-Tan-Brown-Planter-Wall-Block-16202336/206501693

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mischief posted:

Finally bought our own tiller to go with the new house. Tilled up the previous owners fenced in dog run over the weekend for hopefully deer resistant gardening and HOLY poo poo THIS YARD IS FULL OF ROCKS. The new tiller handled it like a boss, even broke a few of the quartz chunks up but it still kicked my rear end all over the yard.

If it's not too indiscreet where are you? I remember when I lived in New England the few gardening attempts I tried revealed to me the rocky futility of the soil. And of course if I got around that there were all the animals...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Made of concrete, interesting.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Kjermzs posted:

Any tips for killing the grass with dogs? I wanted to use wet cardboard but the dogs will probably shred that poo poo everywhere. How many days does it take to kill off the grass by smothering it? Otherwise my alternative is to dig it up.

I did an experiment with various weed control methods when I created the borders from lawn*. The cardboard experiment was a monumental failure because the dogs kept running over it and it shifted so there were gaps. Use Tarpaulin and weigh it down with rocks. You can also use old carpet or rugs. It takes a month or so for it to be dead. If you dig it up make a pile with grass on grass and cover it with tarp or weed membrane, in a year you will have the nicest loam.

*No getting round it, digging the whole lot out and adding new soil was by far the best way.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
I just saw a thing about no-dig gardening that suggests keeping the soil matrix intact results in better soil. So, no digging over or killing the grass, you just put your beds right on top, the grass will just go back to enrich the soil. It was this week's Gardener's World with Charles Dowding if anyone is interested (ep7)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Pheasant Revolution posted:

I just saw a thing about no-dig gardening that suggests keeping the soil matrix intact results in better soil. So, no digging over or killing the grass, you just put your beds right on top, the grass will just go back to enrich the soil. It was this week's Gardener's World with Charles Dowding if anyone is interested (ep7)

Snip dead or unwanted plants off at ground level, leave the roots in, as they die/rot it leaves tiny channels in the soil for aeration.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pheasant Revolution posted:

Maybe if you don't have weeds and/or really deep beds. Dandelions and other weeds keep poking up through my beds near the edges where I didn't dig them out well enough.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I live in zone 5, last frost being ~May 3. I'm super lazy this year and didn't start any seeds indoors. I once started basil from seeds and overplanted as gently caress (like, 1-3 seeds spaced by an inch) and ended up ripping out half of them to give them a chance to grow. Could I just start some tomato plants straight in my balcony beds, or is it less hardy than basil?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Oh hey I just saw those at my local HD and thought they were pretty neat but uncertain how well they would keep everything together. Laughing at the thought of pounding rebar through what consists of 75% riverrock.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 23, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jan posted:

I live in zone 5, last frost being ~May 3. I'm super lazy this year and didn't start any seeds indoors. I once started basil from seeds and overplanted as gently caress (like, 1-3 seeds spaced by an inch) and ended up ripping out half of them to give them a chance to grow. Could I just start some tomato plants straight in my balcony beds, or is it less hardy than basil?

Generally you want to start them in small pots. For me it makes it easier to trellis them, direct in the beds makes it slightly harder to do that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Spookydonut posted:

Generally you want to start them in small pots. For me it makes it easier to trellis them, direct in the beds makes it slightly harder to do that.

Well, I should've said "planters", not "beds". And I'm pretty sure they already qualify as "small pots". :v:

The only sizeable thing I have is a large planter, which I got after this thread rightfully pointed out that my planters were way too small for three plants:

Looking at dates, it looks like I planted indoors at the same time last year, so I guess it's not too late to be un-lazy.

Comedy picture of the extra tomato plants I kept indoors due to lack of planters outdoors. Not enough light, you say? :crossarms:

Also, what about reusing soil full of old roots? As recommended, I chopped off the plants close to the root at the end of last year, to let the old roots aerate the soil, etc. etc. But some pots are especially packed with roots, to the point the entire chunk of soil came out with the stem. Are new plants still going to be able to get their own roots out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Jan posted:

Also, what about reusing soil full of old roots? As recommended, I chopped off the plants close to the root at the end of last year, to let the old roots aerate the soil, etc. etc. But some pots are especially packed with roots, to the point the entire chunk of soil came out with the stem. Are new plants still going to be able to get their own roots out?

Leaving the roots to improve the soil only applies when you plant something in the ground, not pots. I would pull the roots out and shake off the soil, then reuse the soil.