Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

B-Nasty posted:

When I was in school, the submitted code was actually read (probably by overworked TAs), and code quality issues affected your grade as much as the 'did it run?' component. Not doing the human reading part would be like an English professor only running a spell-check and word-count on your essay to determine if you passed the assignment. "Yep, it's written in English, doesn't have obvious grammatical mistakes, and is 3000 words long...A+."

I don't fully disagree, but I'd like to point out that manual checking has huge scaling problems. Our CS1 course is relatively small in the grand scale of things and it has something on the scale of 250 000 returned assignments each iteration. We run five or six of these each year. Manually checking all of that stuff and giving sensible feedback is simply not possible, given that we're not a particularly rich university. We do employ code style checking tools that reject solutions that don't match the course's code style requirements but there's no switch for "sane variable names" in it beyond "ensure it's at least three letters and is correctly capitalized".

B-Nasty posted:

... claim that coding is part science, part art.

I agree and this is actually one of the primary motivators for having the students' answers checked automatically: the only way to learn to program is to do a huge amount of programming. The only way to ensure that the students do a huge amount of programming is to have a huge amount of assignments, and the only way to check that they complete all the assignments is to check them automatically.

B-Nasty posted:

I've come to appreciate that the code 'working' is just a small component of its (lack of) value. Coders that go the extra mile to make their code easy to reason about, open to new tests, DRY, and well-organized are worth their weight in gold.

Again, agreed. These skills just happen to be something that is extremely difficult to teach. Partly because something like "easy to reason about" is so hard to define.

E:

NihilCredo posted:

Engineering students manage to learn the importance of stress-strain analysis without collapsing a shoddily-built bridge, and medical students don't need to go through the experience of extracting a leftover gauze from a patient's chest in order to really get why proper operating room procedures matter. They are taught the right techniques from the start, in excruciating detail, and get rigorously tested on their knowledge of those techniques.

Discussion prompt / devil's advocate: is this is only because bridges and patients are too expensive for student projects? If they were as cheap as a segfaulting toy C program, would we get better engineers and surgeons by having them spend the first couple of years of university causing various toy disasters? Or is that a red herring, and instead programming education should take a page from the same book as the older disciplines?

That's an interesting thought. I believe that at least in medical the field of surgery "leave a gauze in the patient's chest" in reality is a surprisingly big problem, up to a point where in a modern surgical theatre you have a dude who's only job is to ensure that that literal scenario does not happen by constantly counting stuff and writing the process down in excruciating detail. I wonder what exactly would be programming equivalent of that, statistical code analysis?

Counter prompt: I think the programming equivalent of your scenarios are "code does not compile/has bug". What's the surgeon equivalent of badly named variable?

Loezi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Loezi posted:

I don't fully disagree, but I'd like to point out that manual checking has huge scaling problems. Our CS1 course is relatively small in the grand scale of things and it has something on the scale of 250 000 returned assignments each iteration. We run five or six of these each year. Manually checking all of that stuff and giving sensible feedback is simply not possible, given that we're not a particularly rich university. We do employ code style checking tools that reject solutions that don't match the course's code style requirements but there's no switch for "sane variable names" in it beyond "ensure it's at least three letters and is correctly capitalized".

Maybe you don't need to have humans look at every problem. You can have two tiers of problems, common test-yourself ones where the student just has to prove they can implement something that follows the functional specification (i.e. has a handle on the algorithm), and another tier of somewhat larger projects, of which you have maybe 2 or 3 each semester, which are all graded by humans, in addition to automated tests.
In the initial courses it will probably be worth it to have one or two early on that are designed to not be so difficult to solve but will require the students to have good code quality. I.e. make sure the students have an understanding of what "good code" entails and how it affects grading.

You could also have TA's select students at random and ask them to present their solution to last week's problem to the entire class. That may encourage the students to write code they are able to explain and aren't embarrassed about showing to others.

quote:

What's the surgeon equivalent of badly named variable?
Using personal abbreviations in the journal afterwards, making it more difficult for everyone else to understand.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Loezi posted:

What's the surgeon equivalent of badly named variable?

Poorly done stitches that leave a nasty scar. Sure, it stopped the bleeding and healed up without infection, but now the patient has to stare at your rush-job for the rest of their life.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My data structures course was in C and I tend to think that was a pretty bad choice since we spent most of our time debugging seg faults instead of learning the concepts.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
this whole train of thought is why pair programming exists and is very good (or, you know, code review). having taught, I don't really see either of those practices being super, uh, possible in an academic setting which is unfortunate, because those are skills that are incredibly useful to have when you're starting out. if people were better at being reviewed, they'd be more likely to write reviewable code.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

uncurable mlady posted:

this whole train of thought is why pair programming exists and is very good (or, you know, code review). having taught, I don't really see either of those practices being super, uh, possible in an academic setting which is unfortunate, because those are skills that are incredibly useful to have when you're starting out. if people were better at being reviewed, they'd be more likely to write reviewable code.

When I was in school there was a course with weekly assignments that met up to discuss each other's solutions. The grade was split between the normal auto grading and participation in the review. It was fairly effective.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

leper khan posted:

When I was in school there was a course with weekly assignments that met up to discuss each other's solutions. The grade was split between the normal auto grading and participation in the review. It was fairly effective.

everyone did individual solutions? I think that's a good way to go about it. Most places that do group projects, it seems to me, have everyone contribute to a single solution which usually is frustrating for everyone involved because there's always that one person who tries to skate by or is bad at version control and fucks everyone else's stuff up

which admittedly is pretty much how the real world works too :v:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

The other alternative is to force the students to learn the pain of poorly-designed programs in the uni environment.

For my CS 200-level courses, we were expected to maintain a simple infix calculator program, similar to UNIX bc, through the entire semester. Each week, we were expected to add a new feature to our previously written program -- i.e. "do proper order of operation, support parenthesis, support saving/loading to memory, support subroutines, etc." If you did a lovely job of writing it initially, you could expect to have at least one week where your task would turn into "rewrite this entire thing to support the new feature."

The teacher did not review the program for style (although we had a peer review session mid-semester) -- instead, he maintained a unit test suite and ran all students' apps against it. If your app crashed, you couldn't get any higher than a C for that turn-in; if it kept running but gave an incorrect answer, no higher than a B. And he was a sharp motherfucker who took great joy in making garbage parsers poo poo themselves.

At the end of the semester, our final exam was to write a paper on what we learned from having to maintain and repeatedly re-write the same product for 3 months, and compare/contrast our week-one code with our week-14 code.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"ML languages and type inference are so expressive!"

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

ullerrm posted:

The other alternative is to force the students to learn the pain of poorly-designed programs in the uni environment.

For my CS 200-level courses, we were expected to maintain a simple infix calculator program, similar to UNIX bc, through the entire semester. Each week, we were expected to add a new feature to our previously written program -- i.e. "do proper order of operation, support parenthesis, support saving/loading to memory, support subroutines, etc." If you did a lovely job of writing it initially, you could expect to have at least one week where your task would turn into "rewrite this entire thing to support the new feature."

The teacher did not review the program for style (although we had a peer review session mid-semester) -- instead, he maintained a unit test suite and ran all students' apps against it. If your app crashed, you couldn't get any higher than a C for that turn-in; if it kept running but gave an incorrect answer, no higher than a B. And he was a sharp motherfucker who took great joy in making garbage parsers poo poo themselves.

At the end of the semester, our final exam was to write a paper on what we learned from having to maintain and repeatedly re-write the same product for 3 months, and compare/contrast our week-one code with our week-14 code.
This is a fascinating approach.

What do you think about the outcomes?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

Most sites don't need JavaScript. An ancient Mac II should be able to browse the average web site just fine. (As long as it's not using SSL anyway.)

The fact that a lot of modern sites are "too much" for something like an original Raspberry Pi—several times the speed of a SPARCstation 20, the workhorse of the mid-90s web—is a goddamn travesty and a lot of the blame for that can be laid at JavaScript's feet.

The Raspberry Pi isn't several times the speed of a SPARCstation 20 though? One of those machines might easily be a quad core 90 MHz machine, quad core 200 MHz with common upgrades available. The 700 MHz single core ARM CPU in an original Raspberry Pi is pretty lovely compared to that. It's hard to make direct comparisons, sure, but overall the original Raspberry Pi especially is a very slow computer.

It's also a stupid comparison anyway, as mid 90s sites typically had barely any graphics let alone audio or video, largely due to the fact that speeds were slow and even if you had a fast connection standards weren't really in place to handle them.

(Also nah anyway, Mac IIs are way too dog slow for modern sites, even if they're mostly just text. They can also barely handle connecting to a modern cable modem, let alone using the 640x480 resolution with 256 color limitation for real browsing. It was already difficult to impossible to use Mac II it for browsing websites 10 years ago even ignoring the dumb flash based sites out there, it's hopeless now.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Things beyond JavaScript that also make modern websites heavy on CPU to render (at full fidelity):
Large image files in full color, with potentially transparency as well.
Complex text layout with support for any Unicode script, as well as the various layering and other effects you can do in CSS.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Evil_Greven posted:

This is a fascinating approach.

What do you think about the outcomes?

I thought it was pretty illuminating. When I went through it, I had to rewrite my code from scratch several times to replace parser/lexer, replace basic types with a rational class or a bignum library, add subroutine support, etc. Each time, the overall code quality got measurably better. The emphasis on "above all else, do not crash" was nice too -- it became a point of pride that the instructor couldn't break your code this week.

Having to add features one at a time instead of "do the entire thing in one shot" felt a lot more like actual development than mere homework assignment, especially since we were required to use a source control system as well.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Out of curiosity, is it common for developers to document an alternate meaning of a structure as opposed to using a union, or do I work someplace special? For example:

code:

struct derp {
    char data [512]; //the first word is a metadata field
};

Cue multiple copies of that comment everywhere in the code except for the 3 instances where the code breaks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

I was going to chime in and say this. A lot of "code smell" issues didn't really hit home for me until I had to maintain a real garbage fire of a program, where the previous devs took full advantage of the flexibility that Python gives you to make some of the worst-designed, -named, -documented, and -implemented code I have ever seen.

Show that poo poo to a third-year CS student, and tell them "when I call this top-level function in this 2000-line-long library, it crashes. Fix it." They will gain an appreciation for good variable names, accurate comments, proper use of namespaces, using builtin library functions instead of homegrown implementations, etc.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

The Raspberry Pi isn't several times the speed of a SPARCstation 20 though? One of those machines might easily be a quad core 90 MHz machine, quad core 200 MHz with common upgrades available.

The base model was a 60MHz SuperSPARC, though an even slower 50MHz version was available. Measured by the BYTE UNIX benchmark, an original RPi is about 7× the speed of one of those, except for I/O which about matches.

The Ross HyperSPARC was good, but not that good; going from 60MHz SuperSPARC to 125MHz HyperSPARC would get about a 1.5× speedup, not 2×. So a SS20 with four 200MHz HyperSPARC CPUs might be faster than a RPi, but 150MHz will probably just meet it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

nielsm posted:

Things beyond JavaScript that also make modern websites heavy on CPU to render (at full fidelity):
Large image files in full color, with potentially transparency as well.
Complex text layout with support for any Unicode script, as well as the various layering and other effects you can do in CSS.

Broadband ruined the web.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lumpy posted:

Broadband ruined the web.

Web 2.0 is the worst. Every time I open one website I have to go through ScriptSafe/NoScript and add 5-10 different additional API/service providers just to get it to minimally work.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

idiotmeat posted:

Out of curiosity, is it common for developers to document an alternate meaning of a structure as opposed to using a union, or do I work someplace special?
If you work in embedded: yes to both

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

ullerrm posted:

I thought it was pretty illuminating. When I went through it, I had to rewrite my code from scratch several times to replace parser/lexer, replace basic types with a rational class or a bignum library, add subroutine support, etc. Each time, the overall code quality got measurably better. The emphasis on "above all else, do not crash" was nice too -- it became a point of pride that the instructor couldn't break your code this week.

Having to add features one at a time instead of "do the entire thing in one shot" felt a lot more like actual development than mere homework assignment, especially since we were required to use a source control system as well.

My compilers and operating systems classes were the same way, and OS was probably my favorite class in the whole degree because of it. (I probably wouldn't've called it that on one of the nights I was having to rework my buggy-rear end, space-wasting heap implementation again so my OS could pass that week's tests, though.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Winter Stormer posted:

My compilers and operating systems classes were the same way, and OS was probably my favorite class in the whole degree because of it. (I probably wouldn't've called it that on one of the nights I was having to rework my buggy-rear end, space-wasting heap implementation again so my OS could pass that week's tests, though.)

My Operating Systems prof did this, but also threw in an extra trap for morons: since it was all cumulative, if you got a higher mark on a later checkpoint or the final project, it would replace all earlier lower marks on the project.

There were people who tried to do the whole thing at once at the very end -- I'm guessing they did not do at all well.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Engineering students manage to learn the importance of stress-strain analysis without collapsing a shoddily-built bridge, and medical students don't need to go through the experience of extracting a leftover gauze from a patient's chest in order to really get why proper operating room procedures matter. They are taught the right techniques from the start, in excruciating detail, and get rigorously tested on their knowledge of those techniques.

A program that's frustrating to maintain is not an analogous level of engineering failure to a collapsing bridge. It's more like a bridge that's hard to get to from a nearby town that everyone knew was growing a lot when they put the bridge in, or a bridge where they used lovely concrete on the walkways and now it's crumbling and maintenance crews have to come out every few months to patch it over. Those are engineering failures that notably happen with real bridges.

Even a lovely program that crashes whenever you do X isn't really like a collapsing bridge, because the crash itself might not matter, and it's entirely possible that a user can still use the program once they've learned not to do X. It's more like a highway where, if you merge onto it from a particular on-ramp, you basically have no chance of getting to a particular exit unless traffic is very light. And that is also a failure that notably happens with real highways.

The programming analogue of a collapsing bridge would be something like an SQL injection where the failure can lead to catastrophic damage with irreversible consequences. For that, I would have to agree with your points, because while reputable sources do carefully stress the importance of the right techniques for avoiding SQL injections, our profession doesn't demand that you learn SQL programming from reputable sources, and there aren't really any professional consequences to loving it up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eschaton posted:

Most sites don't need JavaScript. An ancient Mac II should be able to browse the average web site just fine. (As long as it's not using SSL anyway.)

The fact that a lot of modern sites are "too much" for something like an original Raspberry Pi—several times the speed of a SPARCstation 20, the workhorse of the mid-90s web—is a goddamn travesty and a lot of the blame for that can be laid at JavaScript's feet.

I think this is right and wrong at the same time.

There's very few sites that need javascript. Many sites can be improved from their hypothetical non-JS versions with some amount of JS just from a UX standpoint.

The real problem is that so many sites go way beyond* that and that's not really Javascripts fault in the strictest sense. It's developers/designers/product-managers fault. I mean, you could make the argument that JS enables them to do that, but I can't think of a good version of that argument that I agree with.

* and by "beyond" I don't mean LoC. The total "amount" of JS isn't important, its how the page performs.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Loezi posted:

I believe that at least in medical the field of surgery "leave a gauze in the patient's chest" in reality is a surprisingly big problem, up to a point where in a modern surgical theatre you have a dude who's only job is to ensure that that literal scenario does not happen by constantly counting stuff and writing the process down in excruciating detail. I wonder what exactly would be programming equivalent of that, statistical code analysis?
Resource leak analysis, obv

Running a site with no JavaScript is fine as long as no one's trying to grow their business with it. If they are, they're going to get annoyed at hearing "no" all the time.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I think this is right and wrong at the same time.

There's very few sites that need javascript. Many sites can be improved from their hypothetical non-JS versions with some amount of JS just from a UX standpoint.

The real problem is that so many sites go way beyond* that and that's not really Javascripts fault in the strictest sense. It's developers/designers/product-managers fault. I mean, you could make the argument that JS enables them to do that, but I can't think of a good version of that argument that I agree with.

* and by "beyond" I don't mean LoC. The total "amount" of JS isn't important, its how the page performs.

Bingo. My shop has just started to realize that serving all of the content through js is a huge drag on average. New recommendation: use js where needed instead of all the friggin time.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

NihilCredo posted:

I think human nature instinctively get the consequences of physical damage (and even then they still gently caress up). By comparison, the worse a shoddily built program will do 99% of the time is make someone's life miserable, usually the programmers, possibly the users too, and since jobs are dreary as it is, making your job harder is not immediately apparent. Unless your idea is to force everyone to shape up by working on life-threatening software, I don't think you can really compare the two.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

The real problem is that so many sites go way beyond* that and that's not really Javascripts fault in the strictest sense. It's the developers/designers/product-managers MARKETING DEPARTMENTS fault. I mean, you could make the argument that JS enables them to do that, but I can't think of a good version of that argument that I agree with.

Fixed for everywhere I have every worked / every client I have ever dealt with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, good point.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Lumpy posted:

Fixed for everywhere I have every worked / every client I have ever dealt with.

Yeah, and every new hire the marketing department makes requires some other lovely analytics company's pixel and JS library be loaded.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

SupSuper posted:

I think human nature instinctively get the consequences of physical damage (and even then they still gently caress up). By comparison, the worse a shoddily built program will do 99% of the time is make someone's life miserable, usually the programmers, possibly the users too, and since jobs are dreary as it is, making your job harder is not immediately apparent. Unless your idea is to force everyone to shape up by working on life-threatening software, I don't think you can really compare the two.
The Therac-25 was an effective cancer therapy machine, except when it wasn't.

Putting that aside, I've been in the industry long enough to know that DoD-style "process" isn't going to make incompetent devs competent, but will make good devs miserable enough to find another line of work.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 24, 2017

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Gazpacho posted:

The Therac-25 was an effective cancer therapy machine, except when it wasn't.

The average student reaction to hearing about Therac-25 is probably going to be "poo poo, I better shape up my code when working with a literal cancer laser that is shot at people's heads." and then not care while working on a hot new React website for Mom'n'Pop's Improved Gizmos Inc.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\myusername>expdb
'expdb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\myusername>exportdb
'exportdb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\myusername>exp

Export: Release 11.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Apr 24 09:17:05 2017

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.

Username: username/password@server

Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
Enter array fetch buffer size: 4096 >

Export file: EXPDAT.DMP > C:/databasename.dmp

OK, so typing "db" when I should have typed "dp" is on me (although thanks for laying that trap for us, Oracle, of course if you abbreviate things as "dp" in the context of databases people are going to misread/misremember them as "db"). But guess where databasename.dmp ended up? C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore (from where I was able to rescue it once I located it).

I feel sure if I continue to work with Oracle it's going to involve acquiring increasing amounts of brain damage to the point where this stuff starts to make a strange kind of sense, which I don't really want.

Perhaps this is partly Windows's fault for not always being friendly to applications trying to use forward slashes instead of backslashes, but I'm drat well going to blame this on Oracle anyway because SQL Plus has trained me to use forwardslash everywhere since it hosed up when I tried to execute script files using backslashes in the path.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Loezi posted:

The average student reaction to hearing about Therac-25 is probably going to be "poo poo, I better shape up my code when working with a literal cancer laser that is shot at people's heads." and then not care while working on a hot new React website for Mom'n'Pop's Improved Gizmos Inc.

Some poor soul is developing a front end for a radiation therapy modality using Angular and Node.JS at the very second you type these words.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The whole JS / no-JS thing was embodied for me by that "joke" best-site-ever that was just text on a page. Then someone made a response to the page that used proper web fonts and better spacing etc and the whole thing devolved into a slow-motion passive agressive slap fight over what was "needed" and what wasn't.

My life as a developer was infinitely easier when the backend was where the logic went and the front end just handled displaying content. But as a user I've gotta say I much prefer it when a site pre-warns me that a form field is invalid before I send it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

NtotheTC posted:

My life as a developer was infinitely easier when the backend was where the logic went and the front end just handled displaying content. But as a user I've gotta say I much prefer it when a site pre-warns me that a form field is invalid before I send it.

Why can't you have both? Why having in the frontend is that much harder?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hammerite posted:

code:
Export file: EXPDAT.DMP > C:/databasename.dmp
OK, so typing "db" when I should have typed "dp" is on me (although thanks for laying that trap for us, Oracle, of course if you abbreviate things as "dp" in the context of databases people are going to misread/misremember them as "db"). But guess where databasename.dmp ended up? C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore (from where I was able to rescue it once I located it).

The user account the process was running as did not have write access to C:\ so user Windows account virtualization kicked in and redirected the write to the user's personal VirtualStore directory instead. That's a feature of UAC that lets software access files in locations like C:\Program Files\ and C:\Windows\ and write to them without actually touching system-global stuff and requiring local administration permission.

Works as intended.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Volguus posted:

It's not harder in terms of difficulty, you just have to use javascript to do it. And unless you enjoy pain you're probably going to want to use at least one framework rather than write your own and then it's too late, you're in the JS ecosystem and there's no turning back.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

You have to have both. The frontend validation is for user convenience, the backend validation is for security and data integrity.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

You have to have both. The frontend validation is for user convenience, the backend validation is for security and data integrity.

The actual hard part is keeping validation at both ends in sync, or ideally making a solution to use a single code base for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Loezi posted:

That's an interesting thought. I believe that at least in medical the field of surgery "leave a gauze in the patient's chest" in reality is a surprisingly big problem, up to a point where in a modern surgical theatre you have a dude who's only job is to ensure that that literal scenario does not happen by constantly counting stuff and writing the process down in excruciating detail. I wonder what exactly would be programming equivalent of that, statistical code analysis?

Counter prompt: I think the programming equivalent of your scenarios are "code does not compile/has bug". What's the surgeon equivalent of badly named variable?

Fun fact, this is called the "charge nurse". Their actual job is to make sure that the charge is captured for every thing used (you're getting charged 5bux per gauze in surgery). The whole "count it again to make sure it gets removed/thrown out" thing is basically a secondary function they've been given because it's no good capturing all those charges if they get sued out from under the hospital afterward. In the US, at least, those nurses literally wouldn't exist if the hospital wasn't permitted to bill per-supply because there'd be no financial incentive in it anymore. I'm assuming in civilized countries with socialized medicine having someone tracking supplies is instead mandated as a standard of care.