Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How water-impermeable is that sealed concrete floor? My kneejerk reaction is that you should use pressure-treated wood for the stringers, since they're in direct contact, but maybe with the sealing it's okay?

Or maybe that is treated and I just can't tell. :v:

My other thought is to wonder how stable the staircase is. Is the landing secured to the walls somehow? I live in California, so I get to worry about that kind of stuff...but then again, is there any fracking near where you live? Even if the staircase is stable, if it isn't secured down somehow it might "wander" a little each time you climb up/down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, the posts and stringers are all treated. I don't think there should be a lot of water creeping up through, the epoxy is pretty impermeable, and there's really good drainage under the barn and in the surrounding landscape, but even so, I should be golden with the treated ground-contact lumber there. Anything wood that touches the slab in that building (either directly on concrete or indirectly on the epoxy) is either treated or has that sill seal foam under it, as in the case of the 2x4s I used to stud out the inner wall.

As it is, it's free-standing at the moment, but will be bolted to the wall, I just need to put up whatever wall surface I'm going to use before I bolt it in place. Even so, it's super duper stable, I was pretty surprised. And that big tall post there, that's going up to the attic where it'll be bolted to the floor up there and give me a post to affix some railing on both the stairs and around the floor hole in the attic. It's stable now, it's going to be god damned immobile when it's done. It was remarkably solid even just with the decking screws I used to fit it all in place, and once I put two 3/8" bolts through each outer face of the posts (i.e. four bolts per post, two in each direction) it become a rock. And they're bolts, not lag screws, which should add some holding power.

I'm in Iowa, we were all super shocked when there was that earthquake in, what, Oklahoma? that was actually felt, it was, like, the first earthquake...ever, or something.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 5, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Okay, you've pre-empted all my feedback then. :) Looking good!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

Don't worry, I eventually put 3/8" carriage bolts through the posts instead of the little decking screws I was using to fit everything together.
That's all well and good, but are we to infer then that your carriage is now being held together with those decking screws?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey man, I only have so many fasteners, what am I supposed to do here?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Need advice on table legs strong enough to support a chunk of 1"x25"x70" of butcher block plus a large monitor and typical desk things.

I have a piece of butcher block pulled out of some rich rear end in a top hat's kitchen measuring the above dimensions that will soon be my new computer desk. I already used a separate piece for a nice little table, with some hairpin legs, but this larger piece weighs like 60 pounds and I can't find legs I like that aren't loving a billion pennies and also don't look like poo poo and will support the weight across almost 6 feet of desk.

Apparently my online shopping skills suck too because finding metal table legs on anything but Etsy and Ebay is impossible.

Ideas:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/167383151/28-x-23-x-11-t-look-table-trestle-height?ref=shop_home_active_3

https://www.etsy.com/listing/172166791/28-a-style-table-legs-20-wide-base?ref=shop_home_active_21

(possible) comedy option:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80130776/ - apparently these don't have screw holes to attach them to the table do I'd have to make and attach braces to the underside of my big ol chunk o wood.

or hairpins, but I'm concerned still with them holding the weight:

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Thr...ds=hairpin+legs

I welcome all ideas, including propping a nicely sanded, stained and poly'd chunk o wood with cinder blocks.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

skylined! posted:

Need advice on table legs strong enough to support a chunk of 1"x25"x70" of butcher block plus a large monitor and typical desk things.

I have a piece of butcher block pulled out of some rich rear end in a top hat's kitchen measuring the above dimensions that will soon be my new computer desk. I already used a separate piece for a nice little table, with some hairpin legs, but this larger piece weighs like 60 pounds and I can't find legs I like that aren't loving a billion pennies and also don't look like poo poo and will support the weight across almost 6 feet of desk.

I used these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30177912/ in combination with http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10192824/ to make a couple butcher block work tables and it worked great:

http://i.imgur.com/4xWMzlU.jpg

Hard to see in this picture but in the corner are four of those table legs and a couple more not visible on the left wing of the table.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Wife wanted a new TV console for our new house. She found plans on Pinterest and put me to work. Turned out pretty decently except for a couple screw-ups trying to take shortcuts with the sliding door hardware.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And just like that, my shop has heat. Ten killyawatts worth!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

skylined! posted:

Apparently my online shopping skills suck too because finding metal table legs on anything but Etsy and Ebay is impossible.

Black steel pipe would be another cheap option, if you like the look.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Thanks - found some I really liked on Etsy. Table's done! http://imgur.com/gallery/hNmak

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

skylined! posted:

Thanks - found some I really liked on Etsy. Table's done! http://imgur.com/gallery/hNmak

It's hard to tell, but if it's a tight fit between the screw holes and and the screw diameter, you should elongate the screw holes to account for wood movement. Otherwise the table leg mounting bracket is going to bend or the wood will buckle and/or split.

Otherwise, looks good!

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Hey all. I normally stick to the threads over in The Cavern of COBOL, since my work is mostly software, but I have some hardware work to share with all of you. For the past few years, I've been developing the Beagle Entertainment System. It is a software package that turns the BeagleBone Black into a retrogaming appliance platform. I combined my BES software and some of my hardware hacking into a retrogaming console (SNES, NES, GBA, and Gameboy Color) with an SNES catridge form factor. It has a full-sized HDMI output for audio/video, native SNES gamepad interfacing, and a TFT LCD status display:

I started with a design using some Adafruit component boards I had sitting around: the ILI9340 320x240 TFT LCD, a four-channel BSS138 FET line-level converter, and a DS1307 RTC breakout board. I spent some time breadboarding the setup, using Fritzing for planning. The plan was to provide a status screen for the console using the LCD, native SNES gamepad interfacing with GPIOs running through the BSS138 board, and a battery-backed RTC for games that had one in their original carts.

I ended up dropping the RTC from the design, as the RTC wasn't really needed and it was really tight for space inside of the cartridge. Once everything was wired up, I planned out my pin muxing and got to work making the device tree for the kernel (a 3.14 TI BSP Linux kernel without device tree overlay support).

My prototyping went on for a few days as I continued to refine and test software, create wiring harnesses, and carve up on the SNES cart that would serve as the shell for the system. The victim cart was a Super Scope 6, which I purchased for $2.50 from a local used game store. I was able to cut through the cart using a drill and an X-ACTO knife. Once I got the cuts about where I wanted them, I smoothed out the edges of the cuts a little by carving them down with the knife. I wasn't pretty, but good enough for a rough prototype. I tried mounting the various pieces inside of the shell, keeping the BeagleBone Black outside of the shell during testing.

Once the software and wiring looked good, I did the final assembly. It turns out that the BBB and a micro-to-full HDMI converter fits almost perfectly across the width of the cartridge, making the final console have a (far more convenient) full HDMI port available. I did have to shave off the rubber coating on the outside of the converter, as it was too thick for the space inside of the cart. There was also zero clearance over the P8/P9 interfacing headers of the BeagleBone Black, so I had to run all wires directly into the P9 header. I did this my tinning each wire with solder and then inserting it into the appropriate header hole.

And I made videos!

SNES gamepad interface development and testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLUWo8wX8Jc
Final BES console catridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES3bdXXaJH4

If anyone has questions or wants more details, let me know and I'll get the info together for you.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

hendersa posted:

Hey all. I normally stick to the threads over in The Cavern of COBOL, since my work is mostly software, but I have some hardware work to share with all of you. For the past few years, I've been developing the Beagle Entertainment System. It is a software package that turns the BeagleBone Black into a retrogaming appliance platform. I combined my BES software and some of my hardware hacking into a retrogaming console (SNES, NES, GBA, and Gameboy Color) with an SNES catridge form factor. It has a full-sized HDMI output for audio/video, native SNES gamepad interfacing, and a TFT LCD status display:

I started with a design using some Adafruit component boards I had sitting around: the ILI9340 320x240 TFT LCD, a four-channel BSS138 FET line-level converter, and a DS1307 RTC breakout board. I spent some time breadboarding the setup, using Fritzing for planning. The plan was to provide a status screen for the console using the LCD, native SNES gamepad interfacing with GPIOs running through the BSS138 board, and a battery-backed RTC for games that had one in their original carts.

I ended up dropping the RTC from the design, as the RTC wasn't really needed and it was really tight for space inside of the cartridge. Once everything was wired up, I planned out my pin muxing and got to work making the device tree for the kernel (a 3.14 TI BSP Linux kernel without device tree overlay support).

My prototyping went on for a few days as I continued to refine and test software, create wiring harnesses, and carve up on the SNES cart that would serve as the shell for the system. The victim cart was a Super Scope 6, which I purchased for $2.50 from a local used game store. I was able to cut through the cart using a drill and an X-ACTO knife. Once I got the cuts about where I wanted them, I smoothed out the edges of the cuts a little by carving them down with the knife. I wasn't pretty, but good enough for a rough prototype. I tried mounting the various pieces inside of the shell, keeping the BeagleBone Black outside of the shell during testing.

Once the software and wiring looked good, I did the final assembly. It turns out that the BBB and a micro-to-full HDMI converter fits almost perfectly across the width of the cartridge, making the final console have a (far more convenient) full HDMI port available. I did have to shave off the rubber coating on the outside of the converter, as it was too thick for the space inside of the cart. There was also zero clearance over the P8/P9 interfacing headers of the BeagleBone Black, so I had to run all wires directly into the P9 header. I did this my tinning each wire with solder and then inserting it into the appropriate header hole.

And I made videos!

SNES gamepad interface development and testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLUWo8wX8Jc
Final BES console catridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES3bdXXaJH4

If anyone has questions or wants more details, let me know and I'll get the info together for you.

I have no idea what you just wrote but I suspect it rivals fire or something equally shiny for those with my intellect. At any rate I can appreciate your awesome and hard work! Cheers.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've started a new thread because there's going to be a ton of pictures:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810081

I'm repairing and restoring that Seiko 7223, as well as probably posting about any pens I restore on the way.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I made a pop art thing of the cat as a gift :catstare:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The cat looks alarmed, does she like her gift?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It was for my wife, she loved it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been making some worry bead/komboloi for some mates

It's taken me a little while but I think they have come out great

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jestery posted:

I've been making some worry bead/komboloi for some mates

It's taken me a little while but I think they have come out great

Including my favorite:

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

excidium posted:

Wife wanted a new TV console for our new house. She found plans on Pinterest and put me to work. Turned out pretty decently except for a couple screw-ups trying to take shortcuts with the sliding door hardware.

This looks great. Nice work.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Latest project, only somewhat built with the new tools (mostly used my dad's scroll-saw):

(The hooks look off-center in the pic, not sure why. They are spaced evenly IRL. Not sold on the look of them, though. I didn't realize the upper hook would come so high up near the bottom shelf.)

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The whiteboard was a bit of a pain because it is a magnetic and so after cutting it to size the pieces were coming unglued. I glued em back together and hopefully it will hold.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
So after taking a breif hiatus following my stupidly slow and long bedroom remodel, I've decided to start a new and stupidly slow bathroom remodel.

I decided to make a thread for my progress, so feel free to follow along there if you'd like.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464

My plan is to turn this:

Into this:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

So after taking a breif hiatus following my stupidly slow and long bedroom remodel, I've decided to start a new and stupidly slow bathroom remodel.

I decided to make a thread for my progress, so feel free to follow along there if you'd like.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464

My plan is to turn this:

Into this:

Yeah that bathroom is total garbage why even bother man, just burn it down.

Seriously though it looks like a luxury hotel bathroom already, but I guess no shower?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Yeah that bathroom is total garbage why even bother man, just burn it down.

Seriously though it looks like a luxury hotel bathroom already, but I guess no shower?

There's a shower there already tucked away off camera. Most people say its really nice already, but its basic builder grade stuff and I'm more into high-end modern $400 a night hotel bathrooms (see my bedroom remodel from last year).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Doing a bit of thread necromancy and showing off a fairly quick & easy present for the wife: a gift/business card box. It was inspired straight-up copied from the "Niko Niko Box" (pic 1, pic 2) which is made out of two pieces using a CNC router. At least I think that's how they did it.

But I, being a cheapskate, have no CNC router. Instead, I went with a sandwich of maple and a walnut mitered mini-frame, all finished with BLO:

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Trabant posted:

Doing a bit of thread necromancy and showing off a fairly quick & easy present for the wife: a gift/business card box. It was inspired straight-up copied from the "Niko Niko Box" (pic 1, pic 2) which is made out of two pieces using a CNC router. At least I think that's how they did it.

But I, being a cheapskate, have no CNC router. Instead, I went with a sandwich of maple and a walnut mitered mini-frame, all finished with BLO:

Nice. Your wife might want some new business cards though, those ones are a little hard to read.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Nice. Your wife might want some new business cards though, those ones are a little hard to read.

"I must've handed out dozens of these but nobody's calling!"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just finished up a long term project, they each fit right into the crib I made for our daughter from reclaimed oak.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

devmd01 posted:

Just finished up a long term project, they each fit right into the crib I made for our daughter from reclaimed oak.

I'm pretty sure those spindles are far enough apart that your baby can get their head between them, which is bad.

Cribs have small gaps between spindles/slats for this very reason, and you won't find any commercially available ones with anywhere near the gap you have shown here because manufacturers don't want to get themselves sued.

Your craft looks great, but please do some more research on crib safety. I'd be glad to be proven wrong but everything I learned in school about this topic years ago says this is asking for an accident.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
...it's for my daughter. For her baby dolls.

And a cute photo op. Calm the gently caress down.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

devmd01 posted:

Dude was trying to save your child's life, you should maybe thank him and explain that it's not for the baby pictured instead of being a dick to him.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

devmd01 posted:

Sorry, didn't realize that based on your photo.

Also I'm not excited I was just trying to give a friendly warning based on my acquired knowledge?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

I really like this. Is there anything that holds it closed besides gravity and friction?

devmd01 posted:

the crib I made for our daughter

GEMorris posted:

Sorry, didn't realize that based on your photo.

Also I'm not excited I was just trying to give a friendly warning based on my acquired knowledge?

I sure read it that way too. And if I ever build a crib or other baby holding device I am better informed. So thank you.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

devmd01 posted:

Your initial post in no way suggested that.

Like, in any conceivable way.

In fact, unless I've got some sort of learning disability, your original post seems to be missing a decent chunk of info in general. I have no idea what 'they' refers to. Did you just have twins? I dunno man, I feel like I'm meeting you more than halfway on this. More to the point, his response was calm, informative, and helpful.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 30, 2017

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

GEMorris posted:

I'm pretty sure those spindles are far enough apart that your baby can get their head between them, which is bad.

Cribs have small gaps between spindles/slats for this very reason, and you won't find any commercially available ones with anywhere near the gap you have shown here because manufacturers don't want to get themselves sued.

Your craft looks great, but please do some more research on crib safety. I'd be glad to be proven wrong but everything I learned in school about this topic years ago says this is asking for an accident.

drat! Knowing is half the battle... Thanks for sharing knowledge I would have never considered. :hfive:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I really like this. Is there anything that holds it closed besides gravity and friction?

Nope, that's it. I'd actually call it an 80% friction fit -- since the walnut part is relatively tall and has 4 contact areas, you need to pull it apart with intent. Although I meant for it to be a desk item, I don't think it would come apart even if jostled in a bag.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

GEMorris posted:

You would be correct and I had the same reaction as you when I saw that. I built my niece a crib a couple of years ago and there are several regulations. The link below is a good read if want to build anything for kids and yes there are regulations on miniature cribs as well.

https://www.nist.gov/document/guide...JG4eep_SeSjJ4fg

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Does anyone have plans for a grape holder that would also work for hot dog chunks?
I'm going to be having a baby in August, so I should start making it sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Blistex posted:

Does anyone have plans for a grape holder that would also work for hot dog chunks?
I'm going to be having a baby in August, so I should start making it sooner rather than later.

No but I wish you had left off the second sentence just to see how people react