Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I figure if someones gonna get off'd it'll be Bubble Girl, she's been too present without actually contributing much. I've been pleasantly surprised when I've been wrong though, so I look forward to seeing what the end result will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RedMagus posted:

I figure if someones gonna get off'd it'll be Bubble Girl, she's been too present without actually contributing much. I've been pleasantly surprised when I've been wrong though, so I look forward to seeing what the end result will be.

No I really like Bubble Girls role of staring intensively into her datapad and looking vaguely worried. I like to think she just doesn't give a gently caress and plays just Candy Crush the whole time. :v:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lt. Lizard posted:

No I really like Bubble Girls role of staring intensively into her datapad and looking vaguely worried. I like to think she just doesn't give a gently caress and plays just Candy Crush the whole time. :v:

It's just a job, man. Who cares if I play some candy crush?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Don't be ridiculous. They're in Japan, she's playing Puzzle and Dragons.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mulderman posted:

Aizawa is the best teacher :)

The orc guy is the best teacher, but Aizawa is good.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

RedMagus posted:

She was a contest winner design, she's not getting offed anytime soon.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my favorite teacher is powerloader since his gear is wicked cool but you can clearly see hes just some pasty nerd underneath it all

e: also since he's the second blatant Alien reference in the manga

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My favorite is Ectoplasm for that same reason. Dude looks like a super villain or some poo poo (which is probably a deliberate choice to intimidate enemies) but he's just a lanky dude with a weird mouth without his outfit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Overhaul will make All Might explode fulfilling his death prophecy, but then he'll reconstruct him with his wounds healed. Then All Might marries Deku's Mom and they raise Eri together. Shigaraki's there to kill Overhaul at the end of the story too.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

She was a contest winner design, she's not getting offed anytime soon.

Were there two winners? I thought one of the heros at the conference was the contest design.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RedMagus posted:

Were there two winners? I thought one of the heros at the conference was the contest design.
The centipede dude and bubble girl are the two winners.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

whoever designed the centipede guy did a good job

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I wish his name was Centipeter.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
All I have to say is:
gently caress you, fuckin' Nighteye, you worthless, arrogant, useless, piece of poo poo. If Deku had trusted his instincts based on his faith in All Might, then this wouldn't be a problem. And I get that the author needs some conflict to write a good story and all, but the premise of this arc is that Deku trusted his mentor. But suddenly, that mentor turns out to be a loving useless, arrogant rear end in a top hat. They haven't done a good job convincing me that he is even worthy of trust before they present a flagrant failure that is entirely the fault of his poor judgement. What has he even offered to the investigation? Nothing! This Nighteye loser has nothing to offer. People were giving him respect, yet he can't do poo poo. He hasn't done a drat thing, and then when someone says, "Do something useful", he says he can't.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

fluffykittys posted:

All I have to say is:
gently caress you, fuckin' Nighteye, you worthless, arrogant, useless, piece of poo poo. If Deku had trusted his instincts based on his faith in All Might, then this wouldn't be a problem. And I get that the author needs some conflict to write a good story and all, but the premise of this arc is that Deku trusted his mentor. But suddenly, that mentor turns out to be a loving useless, arrogant rear end in a top hat. They haven't done a good job convincing me that he is even worthy of trust before they present a flagrant failure that is entirely the fault of his poor judgement. What has he even offered to the investigation? Nothing! This Nighteye loser has nothing to offer. People were giving him respect, yet he can't do poo poo. He hasn't done a drat thing, and then when someone says, "Do something useful", he says he can't.

what precog stole your burrito my dude

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

fluffykittys posted:

All I have to say is:
That's why the incoming chapters reek of death in the air; a unwilling lack of foresight from on high can only lead to massacre.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fluffykittys posted:

All I have to say is:

The whole point of Nighteye's character arc is to realize the true power of All Might and acknowledge Deku as a worthy successor. His by the book, technical heroing is a symptom of his failure to fully understand true purpose of a hero like All Might. Don't worry, Nighteye will understand going beyond 100% in order to do the right thing, Plus Ultra, by the end of this.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I don't understand why people quoting him forces SA to display the posts of literally the only person on my ignore list.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mirio being Nighteye's mentor makes a lot of sense given what we know about both characters powers.

Mirio's power is really useful but there are aspects of it that are pretty big downsides, requiring it to be used with a lot of discretion and precision.

And even when Nighteye's power is used well it can still absolutely suck.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The whole foresight thing kinda is bothersome unless it's proven that it can be altered through some means (which I imagine will be the case). Like, you'd think that everyone would be way more disturbed at the idea that apparently loving FATE is a real thing and that if this dude sees you doing stuff you're definitely going to do it because he sees through causality itself or whatever.

Like if I saw someone with a power like that and they demonstrated it I'd be filled with existential dread because my life apparently is pre-determined.

I'd have written his foresight power as being some insanely amazing guess borne from a weird, temporarily realized form of incalculable genius.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mirio being Nighteye's mentor makes a lot of sense

think you meant that the other way around

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Maybe Nighteye's power is basically Maxwell's Demon? He gains knowledge of every atom in the world, for one instant, and so he can see what will happen in the future.

That might be more busted than literal fate though. (Hey, if Railgun's Kuroko can do 11th-dimensional math to teleport herself, this isn't too far off.)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

HellCopter posted:

Maybe Nighteye's power is basically Maxwell's Demon? He gains knowledge of every atom in the world, for one instant, and so he can see what will happen in the future.

That might be more busted than literal fate though. (Hey, if Railgun's Kuroko can do 11th-dimensional math to teleport herself, this isn't too far off.)

If that was the case then his knowledge of it could alter it. But from what we can tell he's never able to alter his future gazing -- at worse he just misinterprets it and the context is a bit different from what he gleaned, but the events still happen.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i wonder if overhaul necessarily requires the reconstruction part.

i recall the report about the clown nose weird madoka-looking thing that robbed the bank that got fused into the car, they were mysteriously 'cured' after reconstruction but had... lost their memories? didn't recall anything? or just didn't testify or say anything to the cops?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The framing and paneling IMO made it really obvious that what holds Nighteye back is his own mental hangups, which is fine because precogs are people too and not all of them can be super rational actors all the time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm fine with Nighteye's power if it's effectively working out a billion scenarios and then presenting the most likely one as the future, meaning that other things can possibly happen especially if you knowingly try to change it. I'm less fine with it if it's 100% accurate magic and if you try to get out of the way of the car he predicted would hit you, that car hits a pothole and does it anyway since fate is unavoidable. That sort of thing is boring as hell. Either way using your power and seeing the death of a friend or even yourself would be hosed up and having that power then knowing you MIGHT be able to change it but maybe not would be maddening.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Eri is going to use her quirk-canceling quirk thing to negate Overhaul's powers as he tries to kill Deku and then Deku will punch him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I appreciate that Nighteye's greatest obstacle from using the full extent of his power is something that very logically comes as a psychological consequence of that power. (Namely, his fatalism.)

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

I appreciate that Nighteye's greatest obstacle from using the full extent of his power is something that very logically comes as a psychological consequence of that power. (Namely, his fatalism.)

:yeah:
No wonder the guy was really big into All Might, and that seeing his eventual death really crushed his spirit. Someone who thinks that way needs a friend/partner to help keep things light.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tickling fetish Bubblegirl just isn't cutting it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Crazyeyes posted:

Eri is going to use her quirk-canceling quirk thing to negate Overhaul's powers as he tries to kill Deku and then Deku will punch him.
Is it an activated quirk or is it just that her quirk passively gives her blood and tissue quirk-destroying properties?

If it's the latter that makes your scenario a lot more grim. If this was a typical edgy seinen series, Eri would almost certainly take a grievous injury to splatter all the badguys with her blood.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 3, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All Might is going to show up, Overhaul explodes him and puts him back together better than ever and so he's able to live to the end of the series. This explosion is what Nighteye saw.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

I'm fine with Nighteye's power if it's effectively working out a billion scenarios and then presenting the most likely one as the future, meaning that other things can possibly happen especially if you knowingly try to change it. I'm less fine with it if it's 100% accurate magic and if you try to get out of the way of the car he predicted would hit you, that car hits a pothole and does it anyway since fate is unavoidable. That sort of thing is boring as hell. Either way using your power and seeing the death of a friend or even yourself would be hosed up and having that power then knowing you MIGHT be able to change it but maybe not would be maddening.

From the latest chapter it seems to me to be too vague to give an idea of precise reading like when, where and how. He'd see one frame of All Might eating a sandwich, the next an incoming car and then of All Might in the hospital before darkness.

It might not even have been the car that killed him, only that between him eating a sandwich and him lying in the hospital, a car will almost hit him and he might end up dead after the hospital visit for maybe unrelated reasons.

Who knows how long after each episode occurs though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RedMagus posted:

:yeah:
No wonder the guy was really big into All Might, and that seeing his eventual death really crushed his spirit. Someone who thinks that way needs a friend/partner to help keep things light.

It also explains why he mandates that his employees be funny and upbeat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Now that I've binged the manga, something that's been bugging me about All-Might;

Is his transformation thing part of One for All? I was under the impression that originally he just looked like that full time and his injury made him waste away so he used the quirk to look 'normal' for shorter and shorter periods of time as he weakened.

Or was he always a skinny dude who could transform into All-Might and his injury turned him into skeletor?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It was explained that he was a musclehead before*.

Post-injury, he kinda just ... flexed to look big again. Like a big dude on a bar crawl.

E: * before he got OfA.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jintor posted:

i wonder if overhaul necessarily requires the reconstruction part.

Given that Shigaraki's confirmed that Magne's dead and Compress is still missing an arm, the reconstruction definitely isn't necessary. If those things weren't permanent I think Overhaul would have said something in their later meeting when Shigaraki brought those things up, given that Shigaraki was trying to use those things in their negotiations.

Also yes, we've seen pre-OfA All Might in a flashback or two, he was ripped. Not as ripped as OfA All Might, but still big.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 3, 2017

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe he has to reconstruct something, but not necessarily the same thing he blew up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's just doing what scar from fma did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

That panel with the unopened toys was heartbreaking.

I kinda wish the handler guy hadn't mentioned it, because the visual itself was so effective and affecting.