Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pictures of snaggletooth bun, please.

Sure! I think I managed to get one where you can see Ridley's underbite. I have to get her teeth dremeled frequently because of malocclusion, which she Doesn't Like. They seem to have short memories, but we may eventually get her surgery on them because she's a total tooth mutant.

Here's more of both of them. Its hard to get good pictures because they run around a lot :3

Ridley and Samus together

Ridley

Samus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Avery is turning out to be a total loving nutjob. We have mostly laminate flooring in our house, and while Zuba won't go off the carpeting, Avery has zero fear and one of his favorite spots to sit is on top of the cats' litterbox. In the foyer. Halfway across the house from his cage. He just putters around the house whenever he's out, sniffing at anything and everything and occasionally popcorning and headbutting for pets. :kimchi:

Also, brought Zuba in to spend time with my pregnancy-exhausted wife on Saturday and they ended up napping together for a while. Total Mommy's girl!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Laminate floors are awesome, especially when bunny decides to go for a run, takes a corner too fast and slides awkwardly in to the wall.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Weird thing happened with their water/pellets today.

I normally keep their water and pellets in ceramic bowls next to each other, and somehow they pulled a towel over both of them in such a way that it wicked all the water out of the water bowl and into the pellet bowl.

When I got home today the water was empty (I have a backup bottle just in case of something like this) and the pellets were one gelatinous mass in the other bowl. :barf:

Shayl fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 14, 2017

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro crossed the Rainbow Bridge today surrounded by my giant arms and her fleece Santa travel blanket. She'd been having digestive issues and arthritis for the last 3 years. We managed her pain with meloxicam but it stopped being effective in the last month.

She was a good bun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Rip cilantro. You were well cared for and well loved and we know your returned the affection

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
After following a local rabbit rescue on Facebook for a few years, I finally decided to respond to one of their calls for volunteers. Turns out they really needed the help - as much as people love sharing cute bunny Facebook posts, few are willing to show up and clean up poop all afternoon.

It's been rewarding. I don't mind the mess, and it means I get to pet 15 different bunny noses all in one day. One of them is a French/English angora cross who is like a fluffier, mild-mannered Harriet.

The only downside is that little Peaches gets extremely jealous when I show up smelling like other rabbits. I have to strip down and shower immediately like I just got back from the Exclusion Zone.

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro crossed the Rainbow Bridge today surrounded by my giant arms and her fleece Santa travel blanket. She'd been having digestive issues and arthritis for the last 3 years. We managed her pain with meloxicam but it stopped being effective in the last month.

She was a good bun.

I always enjoyed reading about Cilantro. I'm sorry for your loss. You were an excellent owner, and it's nice that your son got to enjoy her company for a short time, too.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Oh no, Cilantro :(

I had to get my lovely boy Blaze put to sleep this morning, about 2 weeks ago he stopped eating so I brought him to the vet, who said it was gut stasis and a bit of a blockage, and sent him home with Zantac and critical care.
We were back again within a few days, and this time they were worried as the blockage was still there and had increased. They kept him for 2 weeks, doing fluids and lavage, and they diagnosed him with megacolon. (He was a charlie lop)_ They were happy enough after the 2 weeks that he was pooping and eating, so he came home Saturday with medications and painkillers.
We had a great 2 days, binkies and playing and eating, then Monday, refused all foods, nothing passing through. I brought him straight to the vet when they opened this morning (Bank Holiday yesterday) and they took one look and said there wouldn't be anything more they could do.
He was put to sleep, and the vet confirmed that his colon had stopped working and there was considerable build up, so it was the best thing to do, that megacolon bunnies don't usually have a long life (he was 5) and that he did well to make it so far.

I'm just so sad. I live alone and I've just moved here in the last year so I've no friends at all here, , and while he wasn't a cuddlebunny, he was my best pal, and the house is so empty without him. I'm so shocked, he was always a big healthy bunny, weighed 3 kilos, and never had any problems in 5 years apart from the ear infection he had when I adopted him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am sorry for your loss. Blaze was a good bunny, and I know how valuable good buns are.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Silverfish posted:

Oh no, Cilantro :(

I had to get my lovely boy Blaze put to sleep this morning, about 2 weeks ago he stopped eating so I brought him to the vet, who said it was gut stasis and a bit of a blockage, and sent him home with Zantac and critical care.
We were back again within a few days, and this time they were worried as the blockage was still there and had increased. They kept him for 2 weeks, doing fluids and lavage, and they diagnosed him with megacolon. (He was a charlie lop)_ They were happy enough after the 2 weeks that he was pooping and eating, so he came home Saturday with medications and painkillers.
We had a great 2 days, binkies and playing and eating, then Monday, refused all foods, nothing passing through. I brought him straight to the vet when they opened this morning (Bank Holiday yesterday) and they took one look and said there wouldn't be anything more they could do.
He was put to sleep, and the vet confirmed that his colon had stopped working and there was considerable build up, so it was the best thing to do, that megacolon bunnies don't usually have a long life (he was 5) and that he did well to make it so far.

I'm just so sad. I live alone and I've just moved here in the last year so I've no friends at all here, , and while he wasn't a cuddlebunny, he was my best pal, and the house is so empty without him. I'm so shocked, he was always a big healthy bunny, weighed 3 kilos, and never had any problems in 5 years apart from the ear infection he had when I adopted him.

Goondolences :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Megacolon's pretty common in rabbits that have the English Spot gene, which it looks like he might have from his pattern. Sadly, digestive issues in rabbits are hard to survive. Five years is a really good life for a bun suffering from that, so you did a great job.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh

FactsAreUseless posted:

Megacolon's pretty common in rabbits that have the English Spot gene, which it looks like he might have from his pattern. Sadly, digestive issues in rabbits are hard to survive. Five years is a really good life for a bun suffering from that, so you did a great job.

Thank you :(

I never even knew he had anything wrong, he was always so big and healthy and had a hell of an appetite. The vet was quite surprised at his age too - she said the issues are normally apparent before they reach 2, and I did well to have him for so long and in such good health.

Still so hard to believe he's gone - he's buried in the garden next to his bonded parter Bun who died a few months ago, she was a good bunny too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm sorry for your loses everyone.

Here, have some super angry Harriet

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Eifert Posting posted:

Sucks that he went that way but it was back in the 90s before the internet told everyone how to be a perfect pet owner and his quality of life was probably way better from being an outdoor rabbit in the summer.

I wouldn't take that as a given. It really depends on what your setup is (and people mean a lot of different things by "outdoor"), but rabbits housed outside in general often pick up internal and external parasites, and they almost invariably live notably shorter lives than if they'd been house rabbits.

I've also heard the argument that living in an outdoor hutch, especially if the rabbit's housed alone and there's a lot of visual exposure (think like an open-screened side and no hiding spots), really stresses them out in a way that contributes to health problems. Local wildlife will constantly try to get at the rabbit or its food. Even if the enclosure is 100% safe, the rabbit won't understand that and is likely to feel trapped and unable to comfortably escape predators. I've heard it described like locking somebody in a room with a guy that pulls out a a loaded gun and screams threateningly and incoherently at random times, or like forcing somebody to watch a horror movie they really hate over and over.

If the only space you can give a rabbit indoors is a small single-level/single-wide cage, then a more spacious outdoor setup is probably better from a mental health and enrichment perspective, if not necessarily a strictly physical health one. If you have the room/leeway/patience to have a big indoor cage/run or free-range a rabbit, it's definitely the best option.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 6, 2017

The Veler
Dec 26, 2012
Hey Goons,

I have a bit of a problem I can't solve. My girlfriend has a rabbit and it has a weird, swollen toe on it's paw. So, first things first, here's the toe:

Now, we live in Arabia and the vets here are garbage. She took the rabbit to the vet and they gave her some medical ointment (below).

It`s been this way for a while and not really improving. She (the rabbit) doesn't like the ointment but she otherwise behaves normally; she doesn't seem to be in pain. We don't know what to do. When she went back to the vet, he said "If you want to exchange it (rabbit), that's fine." It's enraging, they just don't care. But this is expected from a place that uses/treats human beings as tools and slaves so animals are treated even worse.

Please help us!

Thank you in advance.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

when I had a bunny with hock sores (not the same I know) the vet gave her antibiotics as well as giving us ointment to put on them, could the ointment just be stopping it from getting worse without actually healing any possible infection?

is the rabbit licking the ointment off or leaving it alone? a dressing could prevent it getting licked off, although will most likely annoy her

(im not a vet)

The Veler
Dec 26, 2012

clear eyes full farts posted:

when I had a bunny with hock sores (not the same I know) the vet gave her antibiotics as well as giving us ointment to put on them, could the ointment just be stopping it from getting worse without actually healing any possible infection?

is the rabbit licking the ointment off or leaving it alone? a dressing could prevent it getting licked off, although will most likely annoy her

(im not a vet)

Ok, I guess I misunderstood. The rabbit doesn't flinch or seem to be in pain nor does she limp. She sometimes tries to lick it off but when my girlfriend stops her she forgets about it and goes on with her life. I just hope this thing is nothing serious.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

They are very stoic creatures, it can be really hard to tell if something is bothering them or not

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, they avoid being picked off by predators as weak by hiding sickness and injury, so don't necessarily take acting "normal" as a sign that nothing's seriously wrong.

The Veler
Dec 26, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, they avoid being picked off by predators as weak by hiding sickness and injury, so don't necessarily take acting "normal" as a sign that nothing's seriously wrong.

Based on the photo, what do you think could be wrong?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Veler posted:

Based on the photo, what do you think could be wrong?

Sorry, I'm not a vet, wish I could help though :-( I'm actually having kind of a hard time even telling what is going on in that picture exactly. Did she rip a nail off and then the wound got infected?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
One of the recommendations our bunny vet gave for sore hocks was diaper cream with extra zinc oxide. It'll make a drat mess where ever the bun goes but it helps the skin inflammation. Antibiotics for infection/prevention too.

Good luck

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

So my partner has some bunnies I've been helping out with for a while. About a month ago we converted a (pretty spacious) x-pen into "full run of the entire apartment main room". One of the bunnies is incredibly brave about exploring around the apartment, walking and jumping around and everything with a new favorite spot under the table. The other, who could use the exercise... isn't, and acts like there's an invisible fence where the x-pen used to be. We've been working on trying to encourage her to get out a little more by placing her pellet bowl slightly outside the 'fence', and while it's cute to see her do this stretch act to try to get at it without leaving her carpet, I'm starting to wonder if she's ever going to wander outwards. She's fine with new objects placed inside the boundary (a second level shelf to jump on, an IKEA bed, etc), too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Who knows. Rabbits are mysterious creatures (and also really dumb).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

E4C85D38 posted:

We've been working on trying to encourage her to get out a little more by placing her pellet bowl slightly outside the 'fence', and while it's cute to see her do this stretch act to try to get at it without leaving her carpet, I'm starting to wonder if she's ever going to wander outwards.

Yeah, she'll probably eventually do it. It may take her a few hours, or days, and it may only be when she thinks there aren't any scary human "predators" around at first...or she may be that way long term, if you don't have the time and patience to truly acclimate her. Some rabbits take days to bond or get comfortable with an environment, others take weeks or months, and "success" means different things with different buns.

If I had to guess, she feels insecure outside the "fence" when there are humans around, but she probably explores more than you think when you aren't around. Try putting the food dish several feet out farther than "slightly outside" the fence area and then just give her time. Maybe leave the area if you think she's stressed by you. Rabbits are simultaneously way smarter and way dumber than you think. But they're excellent foragers with a strong sense of smell. If you make her food and water accessible to her, she'll find them when she gets hungry/thirsty enough (if it's been, like, 12 hours and you're sure she hasn't eaten then go ahead and intervene).

My partner and I have a bonded trio (that's a long-rear end story in and of itself) that we moved from an Ex-Pen setup into a semi-custom three floor cage a few months ago. For the first day or three, they could not handle the ramps.

They were terrified, and would cower at the top of each 'landing,' glancing around for danger as they s-l-o-w-l-y and awkwardly slid, shambled, and even rolled their way down. They would miss their footing and plop off the side or miscalculate speed and face plant into the cage wall. But the litter box is on the bottom floor and food+water are up top, and all three made sure to neither starve nor poo poo all over the place, though the learning process was an adorable clusterfuck.

For a few days after that, they'd get really nervous about moving up or down the ramps if people were in the room, but after about a week they were shooting up and down at top speed like it was nothing- sometimes with two or even three rabbits going different directions at a time.

TLDR: give your bun some space and time, and she'll figure out her environment on her own terms. If you try to force it or hover over her, she'll get stressed and do the opposite of what you want.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

pseudonordic posted:

Tiny Human used SOFT TOUCH. IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!!!

holy poo poo is that your kid now? KID GREW UP!!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

holy poo poo is that your kid now? KID GREW UP!!

Yup, he's huge. :3:

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

E4C85D38 posted:

while it's cute to see her do this stretch act to try to get at it without leaving her carpet,

Is the rest of the place smooth flooring? Some bunnies will just always be extremely uncomfortable with slick surfaces, while others couldn't care less.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The337th posted:

Is the rest of the place smooth flooring? Some bunnies will just always be extremely uncomfortable with slick surfaces, while others couldn't care less.

In this case it's more carpet (it's already a known thing that she considers smooth flooring to be lava). It turns out the day after I posted that, she starts wandering over to the food and laying down on that carpet like nothing's ever happened. She still retreats off it when we're around, but I have a camera feed going to the rabbits so I can spy on them when I'm busy working in the other room.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Sorry for your bunn losses guys, really sucks big time. Cilantro sounded like such a sweet rabbit, and was very pretty.

So after four months, our two assholes (Peanut and Snoopy) suddenly decided to be friends again, out of the blue. We'd tried every trick, treat, method and housing option - finally took Snoopy to the vet to see if maybe she was sick or something, nothing at all wrong but when she gets back home they are besties.

Settling well into the new house, they know where the sun is going to be shortly.

Not afraid to make themselves at home, even while we are still unpacking and rearranging.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Why does your Dutch not have a saddle. It is very weird.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I hate to tell you but Peanut probably thinks you brought a different rabbit back from the vet and is perfectly cool with this new, better rabbit friend.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

grack posted:

Why does your Dutch not have a saddle. It is very weird.

Cause saddles went out of fashion years ago, doll.

spudsbuckley posted:

I hate to tell you but Peanut probably thinks you brought a different rabbit back from the vet and is perfectly cool with this new, better rabbit friend.

Snoopy was actually the one being an rear end in a top hat, so maybe she thought we swapped Peanut out for another brown butthead while she was on an adventure.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I love the enigma of observing an animal seemingly forgetting something and wondering if it actually forgot or it just picked up on something I couldn't/didn't perceive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The337th posted:

E4C85D38 posted:

In this case it's more carpet (it's already a known thing that she considers smooth flooring to be lava). It turns out the day after I posted that, she starts wandering over to the food and laying down on that carpet like nothing's ever happened. She still retreats off it when we're around, but I have a camera feed going to the rabbits so I can spy on them when I'm busy working in the other room.

Getting a bun comfortable with smooth flooring/your presence is a lot like bonding. Sometimes you just have to put the rabbit(s) in an uncomfortable situation and let time work its magic.

My fiancee and I will just put our three knuckleheads on the living room floor (in an ex-pen when we don't want to constantly watch them), bring out a litter box and some food/water/treats/hay/hides (a bankers' box or paper shopping bag clipped to the side of the Ex-Pen works great) and just let them do their thing for hours. We'll sit on the couch, grade, and watch TV. It may take them a while at first, but they will make progress if you're patient and consistent.

It can be helpful to use cage furnishings or toys. One of the easiest ways to make a new environment feel more "familiar" is to plop the smelly cage litter box there. Also make sure that her nails are safely trimmed and feet can get traction.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Nah, I've had a couple of different bunnies who would never leave the safety of rugs/carpeting no matter the coaxing or familiarity, over years of time. Sometimes they just have a deep rooted instinct for the safety of solid footing. One bun of the first bonded pair I had was like this, she'd spend hours frozen to a rug or fortified in a litterbox rather than ever leaving it to test the linoleum floor. Meanwhile her sister was skidding around slamming into kitchen chairs because slippery floor was fun.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
Didn't see any recent posts diet related. Looks like eCotrition Ultra Blend has been discontinued, and I picked up some Oxbow Garden Select and Sun Salad to mix my own. Anybody have recommendations for a pre-blend?

She gets unlimited hay, spring mix, and fresh greens twice a day (and treats in small doses), but I want to give her everyday a little healthy variety, too.

Cute Georgia pic for content:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Prawned posted:

Snoopy was actually the one being an rear end in a top hat, so maybe she thought we swapped Peanut out for another brown butthead while she was on an adventure.

No, by taking her to the vet you just reminded Snoopy who the real enemy was, and that she and Peanut needed to work together to take you down.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Fiancee and I have been talking about getting a rabbit for months and out of the blue a friend of hers hit us up and said that she had a friend that could no longer take care of it. Cue us taking in Sir Binklesworth, a lion head. He is 2 1/2 and full of energy and love, he loves to run around the apartment and to explore it when we take him out. He can get a little bit humpy, but I am assuming that this will fade away when he gets neutered, I have heard that rabbits are normally skiddish or shy, but he is all about us from day 1. He will run Figure 8s around our feet and never really strays more than a few feet from us if we walk around. He loves running back and forth down the hallway to my fiancee and I at either end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Wins posted:

Fiancee and I have been talking about getting a rabbit for months and out of the blue a friend of hers hit us up and said that she had a friend that could no longer take care of it. Cue us taking in Sir Binklesworth, a lion head. He is 2 1/2 and full of energy and love, he loves to run around the apartment and to explore it when we take him out. He can get a little bit humpy, but I am assuming that this will fade away when he gets neutered, I have heard that rabbits are normally skiddish or shy, but he is all about us from day 1. He will run Figure 8s around our feet and never really strays more than a few feet from us if we walk around. He loves running back and forth down the hallway to my fiancee and I at either end.

Get him to the vet, see if he needs to get fixed. I've heard some rabbits don't really need it if they aren't at risk of making babies, but all of ours have been from a rescue that neuters by policy so I don't really have any firsthand experience with ahem- intact rabbits.

Then see about getting him a bondmate, if he's that social and active with you guys around he'd probably really thrive with one.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 2, 2017