Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Uzumaki isn't bad for low budget Japanese horror. It is pretty unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wouldn't say it's the genre w/ the highest hit-rate, but I'm sure it's produced at least two OK films.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LonelyMudkip posted:

Here's a poster to contribute, cause I like posting kiwi movies.

Man its been ages since I watched this, I wonder if it's as good as I remember it being.

Holy poo poo - this movie ruled! Forgot all about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bugblatter posted:

I guess it's probably not very good? Japanese live action manga adaptations never are...

wrong

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 8, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

LonelyMudkip posted:

It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember the visuals and direction being okay. Overall it's pretty bad, though. I think the movie was made before the manga was actually finished, which is always an issue.

Any sane person would probably not bother adapting Uzumaki's actual ending. It's simultaneously out there, and utterly unfulfilling. The film's non-ending isn't great either, but at least it kind of stops at peak craziness.

I still don't get why they decided to focus so much on the Alien part when there is some Prometheus sequel stuff in the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

Not that Prometheus was all that great, but it certainly beats soft rebooting Alien.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Prometheus sequel, Alien prequel, let's call the whole thing off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

And More posted:

Any sane person would probably not bother adapting Uzumaki's actual ending. It's simultaneously out there, and utterly unfulfilling. The film's non-ending isn't great either, but at least it kind of stops at peak craziness.

I still don't get why they decided to focus so much on the Alien part when there is some Prometheus sequel stuff in the film

Not that Prometheus was all that great, but it certainly beats soft rebooting Alien.

Probably because Prometheus doesn't have a whole lot of audience good will.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

And More posted:

Probably because that cut clip basically amounts to all the Prometheus content in the film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The second half of the movie is apparently all about Prometheus stuff. At least that was the complaint in one review, except it sounds good to me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Is that the Japanese Wayne Newton guy from the Yakuza games?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Maybe if you want to dig into exactly what's going to be in the new Alien movie, like stuff from reviews of all things, you could take it to the Alien thread rather than the movie posters thread.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I hear a lot of mixed things about the Preacher series. Is it as in-name-only as a lot of the complaints make out? I've not seen a lot of positive stuff about it except for Tulip and Cassidy's portrayal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

Probably because that cut clip basically amounts to all the Prometheus content in the film.

None of that is in the film (besides the last few seconds) It's a short film directed by Ridley's son.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I hear a lot of mixed things about the Preacher series. Is it as in-name-only as a lot of the complaints make out? I've not seen a lot of positive stuff about it except for Tulip and Cassidy's portrayal.

It's quite different from the comics, but generally in a good way. The comics were very '90s, after all, and sometimes in a rather grating way. Additionally they've moved the timeline around a bit to get some introductory stuff done first and let some the characters come in earlier, so the main plotline of the story hasn't technically even started yet. Personally I'd say the first season started out a little rocky but got really fun and good towards the second half, they managed to sell the slightly ridiculous and absurd parts of it really well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People didn't like that the show takes the entire first season to get to the first thing that happens in the comic.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is that the Japanese Wayne Newton guy from the Yakuza games?

Yeah all three of the captains were modelled on their VAs.

He was the best part of Battle Royal II (not hard).

Edit: About Preacher, wait so they haven't even exploded the Church yet?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 9, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Yeah all three of the captains were modelled on their VAs.

He was the best part of Battle Royal II (not hard).

Edit: About Preacher, wait so they haven't even exploded the Church yet?

That was how the season ended.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Why don't you try shooting its dick off?? :allears:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It looks like she's singing, not screaming. Not that I'd have something against Alien: The Musical.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

People didn't like that the show takes the entire first season to get to the first thing that happens in the comic.

So its basically like Westworld then.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Palpek posted:

It looks like she's singing, not screaming. Not that I'd have something against Alien: The Musical.

And eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeyyyahheyeyeeee will always hug yooooouuuuueuuuhuhhhuuuuuuahhh.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kind of an average poster until you realize the title of the movie is "I WANT TO EAT YOUR PANCREAS"

http://asianwiki.com/I_Want_to_Eat_Your_Pancreas

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

And eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeyyyahheyeyeeee will always hug yooooouuuuueuuuhuhhhuuuuuuahhh.

Your love
It makes me say Ow
Ow, ow, ow

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oh good, Alien Covenant will have Scream-O-Vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0xqplSYqX0

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Alhazred posted:

So its basically like Westworld then.

I'd argue it's more successful at what it does than WESTWORLD, though I liked both.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Don't really like this poster.

quote:

the title of the movie is "I WANT TO EAT YOUR PANCREAS"

I loving LOVE THIS POSTER

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amityville: The Awakening, maybe one day it will eventually actually come out.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

*hits snooze* Five more minutes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

By then, it will be "By the producers of [20 horror movies]".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Is this going to be about those idiots who were "selected" for the one way mission to Mars, and then after they were selected the company behind it all was "Okay.... now who's got some ideas how to get to Mars? Anyone? No, seriously, we need ideas. And money. Definitely money. We don't have any. Or any rockets. Or a plan. Or anything, really."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

54.6 million kilometers from the nearest ethnic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ah yes, good old "Every X has a Y"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Why is there a leprechaun.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The MSJ posted:

The second half of the movie is apparently all about Prometheus stuff. At least that was the complaint in one review, except it sounds good to me.

I saw it yesterday (It's out earlier in South Korea) and yeah the marketing is super misleading. This is mostly a movie about David. Fassbender probably has the most screentime of any single actor and spends it expanding on the themes of Prometheus. I think the philosophical chat is much better written this time around though.

For me it was fantastic because I loooooove David.

There also happens to be an Alien who shows up for a neat action sequence, but it's not what the movie is about.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 10, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cool, maybe I'll actually see covenant then! I wasn't excited for another space slasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

look, I know that "System Shock but in ________" has become a running joke in video game world but this is ridiculous.