Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm trying to laminate a red oak 1x10 with a 1x6 and a 1x2 on top (see side profile picture below). The boards are ~6' long. Assuming I can clamp these well as the glue dries, is there any reason to mess with screws or other joinery at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Mr Executive posted:

I'm trying to laminate a red oak 1x10 with a 1x6 and a 1x2 on top (see side profile picture below). The boards are ~6' long. Assuming I can clamp these well as the glue dries, is there any reason to mess with screws or other joinery at all?

I guess it depends on the grain direction. I assume 1x10 and 1x6, the grain is running parallel, but the glue to the 1x2 might be a bit of a challenge. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm way off-base.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr Executive posted:

Nah, no extra reinforcement needed. These are all edge-grain to edge-grain joints, which means glue will work just fine and most likely be stronger than the wood itself when you're done. Assuming you clamp correctly, of course.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 1x2 top to the 1x10 and 1x6 lamination is edge to end, though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr Executive posted:

No, but (looks at shark) you're gonna need a bigger clamps.

Phone posted:

No, he's drawn it as a cross-section, it's all long grain.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Phone posted:

Boards are 6' long. I made the same mistake.

I think you should be ok.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, it's all edge to edge. I just picked up 10 2" spring clamps from Home Depot to clamp around the perimeter. The clamps don't have enough reach to clamp the center of the 1x10/1x6. Is it a terrible idea to use gravity (setting a brick on it) to "clamp" this area?

I have some 12" bar clamps coming from Amazon to attach the 1x2 after the 1x6 and 1x10 are glued.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mr Executive posted:

Yeah, it's all edge to edge. I just picked up 10 2" spring clamps from Home Depot to clamp around the perimeter. The clamps don't have enough reach to clamp the center of the 1x10/1x6. Is it a terrible idea to use gravity (setting a brick on it) to "clamp" this area?

I have some 12" bar clamps coming from Amazon to attach the 1x2 after the 1x6 and 1x10 are glued.

I'd use more than one brick, but sure, gravity clamps can work. You want firm contact between the two surfaces, which may potentially mean overcoming some small amount of cupping/warping in the wood via clamping pressure.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Cool. Thanks everyone. Off to potentially ruin a bunch of somewhat expensive wood!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mr Executive posted:

Cool. Thanks everyone. Off to potentially ruin a bunch of somewhat expensive wood!

...do a test in pine first.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr Executive posted:

I don't have enough faith in spring clamps to do that unless those boards are flat as hell and won't move an iota with wet glue drying into them. What I'm saying is, use real clamps, or you're gonna have a

Mr Executive posted:

this

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

yolo

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

:five:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

*twitch* those bricks are gonna leave a mark

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I take it they are the inside face and will be covered by the bed/box spring.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

*twitch* those bricks are gonna leave a mark

I set 'em reeeal gentle like

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I take it they are the inside face and will be covered by the bed/box spring.

yup

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr Executive posted:

I set 'em reeeal gentle like

yup

get into the habit of using scrap wood to protect your work piece when clamping, even if you don't scratch it they can still rub dirt/oil into the wood which can be annoying to remove. (which is why I washed all the rubber faces of my quikgrips last month)

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

get into the habit of using scrap wood to protect your work piece when clamping, even if you don't scratch it they can still rub dirt/oil into the wood which can be annoying to remove. (which is why I washed all the rubber faces of my quikgrips last month)

Yeah, it was a dumb mistake. On the drive home I was actually thinking about using scrap wood to more evenly distribute the weight. Of course I completely forgot when I got home and started slinging bricks everywhere. I'll do the other two boards better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I figure if I'm not denting the scrap with my clamps I'm not clamping hard enough. No idea if that's correct or not though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I figure if I'm not denting the scrap with my clamps I'm not clamping hard enough. No idea if that's correct or not though.

If you're gluing a small area and the surfaces are flat, you can just kind of rub the two surfaces together in a circular motion, and it'll create some kind of suction that will hold the surfaces together enough to create a plenty-strong joint.

You need clamps when you're trying to temporarily force the wood into a different shape, long enough for the glue to set and hold the wood in that shape permanently.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I guess I figure glue is wet, and wet on one side of a board can make it expand and warp. So I figured clamp really hard to keep the wood from flexing during gluing. Maybe glue doesn't do that though?

I assume it's not actually hurting anything to clamp really firmly, at any rate. Maybe get a tighter join, squeeze out all the excess glue so it's wood-on-wood with glue just filling the gaps.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I've often wonder how hard I should clamp. Usually I just tighten them as far as I reasonably can by hand without straining too hard, unless a board has some warping.

The same goes for sanding too. How hard does everyone press when using a ROS?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

keep it down up there! posted:

I've often wonder how hard I should clamp. Usually I just tighten them as far as I reasonably can by hand without straining too hard, unless a board has some warping.

The same goes for sanding too. How hard does everyone press when using a ROS?

Not hard at all. Like weight of your arm and sander hard

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Most f-clamps won't starve the joint or are right at the limit. Parallel bessy style clamps can get too much pressure down, and thus Rob the joint of glue.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

they can still rub dirt/oil into the wood which can be annoying to remove. (which is why I washed all the rubber faces of my quikgrips last month)

ha, I'll give you ten guesses where my spring clamps were

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr Executive posted:

ha, I'll give you ten guesses where my spring clamps were

How did the join turn out?

And I bet those marks are also on the other side where you'll be able to see them

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also, just buy the Home Depot Bessey fun pack. It's $20 for 4 F-style clamps.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Phone posted:

Yes, do this. The only bright side of Jorgensen going out of business is that Depot always has the Bessey clamp packs now.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

How did the join turn out?

And I bet those marks are also on the other side where you'll be able to see them

As far as I can tell, the join looks great. We'll see after I scrape off the little bits of glue that I didn't catch and try to attach the 1x2.

Also, those marks are on the other side too. A few seconds with an old 80 grit sanding block cleaned it up, though. Not ideal, but I'm planning on lightly sanding everything before staining anyway.

Phone posted:

Are these F-style clamps particularly better than the single-hand trigger-style clamps? I got this Irwin pack from Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L07E6XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Executive posted:

Are these F-style clamps particularly better than the single-hand trigger-style clamps? I got this Irwin pack from Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L07E6XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those trigger irwins are the most used clamps I own. The f style will be able to exert more clamping pressure, but I find that they move the two bits of wood that im clamping a bit more than the trigger style. Easy to counter if you know whats happening, and if you have the trigger clamps set up slightly off kilter they will do the same, but its not pronounced.

I much much prefer the f style clamps once you get over about 30cms. They are usually much beefier.

edit : I got two of those clamps in the top right corner, and have yet to use them for anything, and I have a bunch of those spring clamps, but the most use they get is to hold the hose from my dust collection in places that I want it. They have their uses, but I prefer the trigger clamps.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mr Executive posted:

The real question you should be asking yourself is, "do I have enough clamps?"

And the answer to that question is always no.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mr Executive posted:

F clamps can put down way more pressure than those trigger clamps.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The real question you should be asking yourself is, "do I have enough clamps?"

And the answer to that question is always no.

I bought two of those Irwin packs. Once those get here, I'll have:

(4) 12" trigger clamps
(2) 12" kinda-lovely old trigger clamps
(1) 12" really-lovely old trigger clamp
(4) 6" trigger clamps
(4) 2" spring clamps
(4) 2" handi clamps
(10) 2" HD spring clamps

Eventually I'll need to get some big boy clamps, but I think it will be a while before clamps become the limiting factor in my woodworking projects.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Executive posted:

, but I think it will be a while before clamps become the limiting factor in my woodworking projects.

quoting for posterity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I mean, in fairness, I have 4 6" C-clamps, 2 12" Irwin squeeze clamps, 1 12" F-clamp, 2 36" F-clamps, 2 36" pipe clamps, and a bunch of squeeze clamps (which I mostly don't use), and it's been enough for most of my projects so far. But I know that I'm going to run into projects where it's not enough eventually, and it'd occasionally be nice to be able to glue up two different components at the same time instead of having to dedicate all of my clamps of the right size to a single piece at a time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NPR Journalizard posted:

quoting for posterity.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr Executive posted:

I bought two of those Irwin packs. Once those get here, I'll have:

(4) 12" trigger clamps
(2) 12" kinda-lovely old trigger clamps
(1) 12" really-lovely old trigger clamp
(4) 6" trigger clamps
(4) 2" spring clamps
(4) 2" handi clamps
(10) 2" HD spring clamps

Eventually I'll need to get some big boy clamps, but I think it will be a while before clamps become the limiting factor in my woodworking projects.

And a pile of goonclamps, or bricks in the common vernacular

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What are really cheap and handy are those tie down ratchet straps, you can get 2 or 4 packs of those pretty cheap.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

And a pile of goonclamps, or bricks in the common vernacular

If all you have is a house full of poo poo, everything looks like a clamp, or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I don't think there is a legit argument for not having f-clamps, they are the most basic and arguably most versatile (in how they can be used and how much pressure they apply). There certainly are reasons to have other types of clamps, but one of the first things I'd buy if I was a new Woodworker is 2-3 of those bessy 4 packs from HD.