Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EthanSteele posted:

I do not like how thin that Gyanko is though so I guess I'll stick with the beargguy one! I'm trash!!

Also, transforming Macross girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo that Unicorn is huge

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Guy Goodbody posted:

Holy poo poo that Unicorn is huge

gently caress LED's, you could put 100 watt incandescent globes in that thing.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Send help.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Does my mailing address count as help? :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

parabolic posted:

Send help.

Good start.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

parabolic posted:

Send help.

Oh, you poor man. They just announced a new MG Casval's Gundam :(

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh, you poor man. They just announced a new MG Casval's Gundam :(

Even worse, mine literally arrived 2 days ago as part of a large HobbyWave purchase. Oh well.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Goddamn.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

What's that new purple looking HGBF machine? Any details?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

everythingWasBees posted:

What's that new purple looking HGBF machine? Any details?

It's called Hambrabi Suban

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Guy Goodbody posted:

Also, transforming Macross girls

Ignoring the whole anime girl aspect of it that's kinda cool.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I was never a big fan of the original GM, but this looks good. :eyepop:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Comes with a modern kit version of the GM Command head. Nice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Those torsos are way too thin and the legs are too long relative to the rest of the model, I am not a fan. These look like RX-78s made up to look like GMs.

Good heads, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe that's the twist. The build fighters think they're regular gms and then they spontaneously grow v fins

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Missed opportunity to call it GM no Reconguista

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Those torsos are way too thin and the legs are too long relative to the rest of the model, I am not a fan. These look like RX-78s made up to look like GMs.

Good heads, though.

The legs are just as long as any other GM's though.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Went out to buy some nippers and came back with that, a McGillis Shwalbe and an EVA 03 production model.

I have no self control.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grabbed the HGUC Sazabi at Comic Con today. This thing is a beast. My endgame goal whenever I have a massive windfall is to get the MG Ver. Ka Sazabi as a centerpiece, but this HG is still pretty drat big and looks awesome.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So obviously this is a segue into everyone's first gunpla, right?

Mine was the HG triple dom jet stream attack set. I don't even remember when it was, I just saw it, got ludicrously excited, and plopped down for it.

From a few pages back, but:

My first gunpla was from back when Wing was first airing on toonami and so I got some WIng Zero model. NG, I assume. I even tried to paint it but it was like, just two model paint colors I picked up and with a brush and I was desperately disappointed compared to the 144ish scale figures out at the time.

Fast forward a decade, I picked up either a DOM or a Zaku II MG, I forget which was first since I did both in a week. Fell in love with the color separation and inner frames and general complexity (I'd done some star wars models when I was younger and knew I never wanted to gently caress with glue models again). Have about a dozen done now, and 3 or 4 in the backlog. Did the line work and recently since I got a compressor have been considering doing some basic airbrushing.

In retrospect I'd probably have about 50 if I'd have tried the MGs way back when but those stupid gunpla commercials they used to air made it seem like the difference between NG HG MG and PG were these hurdles and it really scared me off of trying them.

Though probably not without reason, considering the 5 years my RX 78-2 PG has been without finished legs.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 13, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Everybody makes fun of the skill levels thing, but U.S. kit makers were doing it long before Bandai. Kind of dumb to make it the hook for their advertising, though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

They are still doing it. Sprukits are sold under a level system.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/FOL_Shen/status/863229903814000642

oh god please no

(Thankfully it's like twenty parts or something so I don't actually have to worry about needing one when it happens.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/FOL_Shen/status/863229903814000642

oh god please no

(Thankfully it's like twenty parts or something so I don't actually have to worry about needing one when it happens.)

Stand it in Battloid mode and you could probably claim it as a dependent. Or have it fight a Neo Zeong.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

About time we get an updated Zaku II grunt kit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stand it in Battloid mode and you could probably claim it as a dependent. Or have it fight a Neo Zeong.

https://twitter.com/GannpuraHobby/status/862141100613447680

I think we've well exceeded Neo Zeong territory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That looks loving great, although we got Origin Zaku IIs so it's not like it hasn't been updated in decades. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

That looks loving great, although we got Origin Zaku IIs so it's not like it hasn't been updated in decades. :v:

This is another Origin Zaku.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is the non Char, non Tri Stars Origin Zaku.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bimmi posted:

Everybody makes fun of the skill levels thing, but U.S. kit makers were doing it long before Bandai. Kind of dumb to make it the hook for their advertising, though.

Yeah it was totally the advertising. Western kits blow, or at least blew, and I never remember seeing ads for them, but during peak gundam in the US I'd see that gunpla commercial every day with the toonami block.

"What skill level are YOU??" "Welp I'm twelve so I better start pretty basic" *gets an NG wing model, is disappointed by it's trashness*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I get it!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I like how the display card just reads "ZZ"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love the engineering and build of the Revive Hyaku Shiki but goddamn that molded curry gold is awful. The old one needed an update but I guess I'm the minority that liked the electroplated super shiny blingy plastic.

I figured I'd try to bring it back.

Still gotta do topcoating and better panel lining.

Blue parts are Mr. Metallic Color GX Metallic Blue thinned for airbrushing. I should have held out for dark blue. Oh well, next time I'm at Gundam Planet.

Torso is Mr. Metallic Color GX Metallic Black thinned for airbrushing, frame parts are Model Masters enamel Metallic Graphite thinned for airbrushing.

Backpack tubes are Mr. Metallic Color GX Red, you guessed it - thinned for airbrushing.

I missed the old HGUC Hyaku Shiki's super-reflective electroplated gold and did a bunch of tests with a bunch of different gold colors. The breakthrough came from a loaned bottle of Alclad Mirror Gold for Lexan. I treated it like candy-coating:

-Primer
-Alclad gloss black base coat
-Alclad chrome
-NO MORE THAN TWO VERY THIN COATS of Alclad Mirror Gold. If I'd stopped at one coat it'd be highly polished light yellow gold, reflective like a mirror, but it wasn't gold enough for a Hyaku Shiki.

I'm aware they have a Hyaku Shiki Gold color now but I contend that it isn't as shiny as this outcome.

It'll be posed better in the real deal album.

The arm pipes (and the ones in the rear of the legs, not pictured) are Mr. Metal Color copper, unbuffed.

The red parts of the feet are Mr. Metallic Color red, airbrushed on. The piston housings are Model Masters enamel Chrome Silver airbrushed on. I didn't want something highly reflective and was gunning on the piston cylinders being visible, a la the MG Delta Plus, but that wasn't the case. Rather than a barely-visible strip of silver cylinder I went for the housing.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Wow, that looks great! I tried to paint my HG Revive Hyaku Shiki with a rattlecan and the results were somewhat disappointing. I'll chalk it up to my first painting attempt and poor choices of paints.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Pretty sure I'm going to wind up getting at least 2 of these things to act as a posse for my Origin Char's Zaku. (also because holy poo poo the Origin Zakus are awesome kits.)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I have the flu and have just watched 13 episodes of the first season and the whole of Thunderbolt.

Feels good/like poo poo man.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

DamnGlitch posted:

"What skill level are YOU??" "Welp I'm twelve so I better start pretty basic" *gets an NG wing model, is disappointed by it's trashness*

Among many factors that contributed to the miserable failure of the initial US push, the fact that Bandai flooded the market with some of the worst Gunpla ever produced should not be overlooked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Pretty sure I'm going to wind up getting at least 2 of these things to act as a posse for my Origin Char's Zaku. (also because holy poo poo the Origin Zakus are awesome kits.)

I just wanna see an HG Origin Gundam. I feel I need a HG Zaku and Gundam in my collection, but the Revive RX-78 and Origin Zakus' art-styles don't feel like they mesh very well with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

Wow, that looks great! I tried to paint my HG Revive Hyaku Shiki with a rattlecan and the results were somewhat disappointing. I'll chalk it up to my first painting attempt and poor choices of paints.

I did try a Krylon gold rattle can, which was pretty nice, but not nearly as flashy.