Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Kommando posted:

acrid rice liquor.

It's sorghum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Wow guys, the food map is really coming along! If you have time, please make sure to add a short description so people know what the place actually is.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Cobra Lionfist posted:

Hmm that's all good to know. I'm kind of at a loose end to be honest, was going to China to work with a friend there but it sounded fairly illegal and he's had to leave China now for other reasons so don't think i'll do that. My brother know's someone in Cambodia who owns a pub so new plan is to go there from China and see what happens. It's the old "dead in a Cambodian ditch or alive in a Chinese prison" dilemna.

yo this guy never posted on somethingawful again after this message, looks like he died in cambodia after all

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

LentThem posted:

yo this guy never posted on somethingawful again after this message, looks like he died in cambodia after all

could be alive in a chinese prison

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Better than a Syrian prison. :v:

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
I'm thinking about bumming it in Taiwan for a month or two. Where can I find a nice beach without a lot of people?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Taiping Island.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

chiyosdad posted:

I'm thinking about bumming it in Taiwan for a month or two. Where can I find a nice beach without a lot of people?
I can only really speak to up north/northeast, and most of those are generally not lacking in people, but Fulong and Wai'ao in particular are p nice to chill at. If you really want to gently caress around by the beach on the cheap for a while though, the lower east coast is probably a good bet. Kenting's nice beach- and chill-wise, but not as cheap and for sure more popular. If you want to surf, Wai'ao and Jiaoxi have p decent reputations IIRC.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

chiyosdad posted:

When I lived in Hsinchu several years back, Zhunan had an awesome beach, just great for chilling. There was a little cafe right before you got to the shore area that had decent enough food, and you could also rent equipment too, I remember having a lot of fun learning to skipboard there. About 6-10 of us would hit the closest 7 beforehand and get snacks plus slurpees/beer for the day. From Google maps that cafe appears to be open still based on reviews, I guess they just weren't open when the street view pic was taken.

It's also a great scooter ride from Hsinchu; not too long at a little over half an hour, and you go right along the coast, it's just beautiful doing that drive in beach weather. That's the stretch where I set a personal best for speed on a scooter, topped out close to 62-63 mph. If you don't have a scooter because you're only there a month or two, you can take the local train to Zhunan station then a taxi out to the beach.

https://goo.gl/maps/dQe2Ps5Sw5A2
https://goo.gl/maps/bCZmRKxA9iJ2

You could certainly do a lot worse, of that I'm sure.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'm going to be visiting Taiwan starting next week. I made the decision to go a while back so I was researching what was needed to get in as far as visas and stuff go and the US Passport website said one wasn't necessary for a short-term visit. However, I noticed some other people mentioning the Taiwan side required a Visitor Arrival Card or something like that. Is that going to be necessary or is that just what they ask you to fill out at immigration when you fly in?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You fill out some info when you get here (like any country I've ever visited, anyway) but yeah with a US passport you get 90 days of whatever.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
They'll actually hand them out on the plane, asking if your destination is Taiwan, though they're also available at immigration if you sleep through them handing it out or whatever. Just need to fill out basic info, like where you're staying in-country and the purpose of your visit.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Okay, so I'm guessing they're just letting you do it online as well to save some time. Thanks for the clarification.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I don't think there's an online version. It's like 4 things (Name, passport number, why you're coming, etc...) and takes 30 seconds to fill out. You hand it to the immigration person when you come through immigration and they put a little paper in your passport saying when you gotta get out.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I was curious about it, too, since I was unaware of an online version.

It seems that since mid-2015 you actually can file it online to save yourself some time before traveling. Page to file it online is here. It says printing it out is not necessary so I suppose they just pull it up on the computer when you're going through passport control.

Really seems unnecessary to do beforehand, though. Enjoy the 30 seconds of your flight time consumed by filling it out on the little fold out tray, I say.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I was curious about it, too, since I was unaware of an online version.

It seems that since mid-2015 you actually can file it online to save yourself some time before traveling. Page to file it online is here. It says printing it out is not necessary so I suppose they just pull it up on the computer when you're going through passport control.

Really seems unnecessary to do beforehand, though. Enjoy the 30 seconds of your flight time consumed by filling it out on the little fold out tray, I say.

Haha somehow that seems more troublesome than just doing it on the plane, but it saves paper so that's good I guess.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Being a Taiwanese website there's also a coinflip chance it'll break in some completely inexplicable fashion when you try and type or click something or look at it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

So good news, turns out gay marriage has arrived in Taiwan!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
fuuuuuuuuuck yeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hey Taiwan guys

I'm looking to teach English in Asia and was referred to this thread from the China one. Apparently China is bad, Taiwan is good. The OP looks a little out of date, but is the information regarding finding a teaching job still relevant? And does anyone have any other information or suggestions or opinions? I have a degree and a TESOL and a few months teaching experience if that matters

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If you want to teach English in Asia, Taiwan is probably the most satisfying place to do it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

There's also a TEFL thread you might like:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302316

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The Taiwan Megathread 2.1: Vacations, Jobs, Gay Marriage, and Seven New Posts A Year

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
When do the forums get LINE integration?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Thanks, hadn't seen that before but it's a good read

Has anyone ITT done the thing mentioned in the OP where you just arrive in Taiwan and find a job while already there? Is that really still the best way :psyduck: it sounds insane to me but if it's legit then I might be open to it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think most goons do it honestly. Schools want to see a demo lesson and that's not really possible over the phone. Hess will hire sight unseen, but that's because they have you do a week of mandatory training when you arrive and want you to be a robot that follows their lessons down to the gesture.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I had a couple interviews lined up when I got here and lined up more while I was here. It's pretty straightforward to land here and find a job.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think most goons do it honestly. Schools want to see a demo lesson and that's not really possible over the phone. Hess will hire sight unseen, but that's because they have you do a week of mandatory training when you arrive and want you to be a robot that follows their lessons down to the gesture.

Hess isn't as bad once you get out of the training and find a decent branch (most are, but there are some horror stories). Otherwise it's follow their structure and lesson plan, but you'll eventually be able to figure out what to ignore and what to keep. Otherwise, yeah, guys at the main branch do often come across as though they haven't actually had to teach the material in a classroom in quite some time, and many of their demos only flow smoothly and crisply because they're demoing to native speakers. I and several other goons are current and former Hessians and can give tips/advice about them (if you can't find a better school than Hess, don't go for a school worse than Hess. Hess is the bar you want to jump over).

Be careful of any fly-by-night operation; if they won't give you work permit+ARC walk out. I ran into a 19 y/o at Revolver that managed to get a job at a buxiban. Kid is so far rear end backwards that he doesn't even know the name of the school he works at, and didn't know what an ARC was (not to mention the extent of the illegality of a 19 y/o with no college working as a teacher). You should not be doing Visa runs if you're working at a legit place.

Otherwise, I think Dave's ESL Cafe and Tealit are still the number one sites to look for jobs in the area.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I also did a year at Hess, I was actually hired from a Skype interview while in Taiwan though.

Like YF says if you get a decent branch it can be good enough. I think I only taught 2 Saturdays my entire year there so that was good, and my boss was a really nice guy and a huge pushover which worked out well for me. I taught 6 years ago though which is basically an eternity in the English teaching market.

The Hess interview did not feel hard. Even though it's just Skype, wear what you would for an interview normally, and most of the questions are easily answered by common sense. They'll ask if you have experience with kids, experience teaching, or what you might do in a common situation like if a kid cries or acts out. If you're not a sociopath and just explain how you'd take care of it in escalating steps as necessary, you should be good to go. And remember they'd much rather hear you talking about how you taught your little sister piano or some poo poo than a curt "no" to the question, so shoehorn anything you can into any semi-relevant situation.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lol i keep forgetting tealit still exists

also there are plentiful jobs groups on facebook for whatever they might be worth

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Alternatively, don't teach English in Asia.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yes Taiwan is better than China.

Paperhouse posted:

Has anyone ITT done the thing mentioned in the OP where you just arrive in Taiwan and find a job while already there? Is that really still the best way :psyduck: it sounds insane to me but if it's legit then I might be open to it

I did it when I moved up to Taipei, worked fine. If you want to make it easier, come in August or September.

YF19pilot posted:

Hess isn't as bad once you get out of the training and find a decent branch (most are, but there are some horror stories). Otherwise it's follow their structure and lesson plan, but you'll eventually be able to figure out what to ignore and what to keep. Otherwise, yeah, guys at the main branch do often come across as though they haven't actually had to teach the material in a classroom in quite some time, and many of their demos only flow smoothly and crisply because they're demoing to native speakers. I and several other goons are current and former Hessians and can give tips/advice about them (if you can't find a better school than Hess, don't go for a school worse than Hess. Hess is the bar you want to jump over).

Otherwise, I think Dave's ESL Cafe and Tealit are still the number one sites to look for jobs in the area.

Hess is boring and robotic, but has advantages for newbies, they'll help you find an apartment and so on. Plus they're scraping the barrel for new bods so you're sure to be hired with a TESOL. Don't accept less than their pay (580/hour). Oh and the word is Rudolfs, hth.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
You can find a much better job being here, but you can get a job at a lovely white man factory from anywhere. Kojen, Hess, whatever lovely high turnover school will hire you sight unseen. Come here and find a good school and you'll end up with a better job off the bat.

I started at Kojen and quit after four months and found a better job.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
there's usually a technical writer position somewhere if you wanna do a jobby job, your writing isn't poo poo, and you're not technically incompetent

try checking 104.com.tw or sometimes forumosa.com

e: loving lolololol 104's too loving cheap to get a proper SSL cert lololol

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Appreciate the replies. When you guys say Hess is bad (or "not as good"), what is it that makes the difference? Other than having little freedom as a teacher which has been mentioned

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

104 also needs to be google translated if you don't speak Chinese, because they don't have an English option. But after you've been here for a bit it's not a terrible idea to have a (Chinese speaking) friend help you translate your resume and pop it up on there. Some companies (in my wife's experience, not mine) need English speakers who don't have great Chinese skills, but don't know where else to find them.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Paperhouse posted:

Appreciate the replies. When you guys say Hess is bad (or "not as good"), what is it that makes the difference? Other than having little freedom as a teacher which has been mentioned

long unpaid work hours (though this is kinda par for the course at most buxibans, mine included)

significantly more grading even than other poo poo chain cram schools

hess managers tend to be very used to the high turnover rate and therefore are inattentive to the needs of teachers, inc all of the above and also the occasional spats with parents etc

you have to do, like, plays and poo poo? like what the gently caress. i'm an english teacher, not a goddamn choreographer. that might be the worst part, for me. also like art projects and stuff and you gotta buy your own materials, it's garbage.

kindergarten is awful, i hated it, you might love it, it made me want to die, shrug

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Paperhouse posted:

it is basically a teacher mill. to their credit, i thiiiiink they do tryyyy to keep things above board in terms of oh yeah i guess we'll help support your ARC instead of having you work illegally and oh look a raid better hide or run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
For what it's worth, Hess branches still get raided by immigration. Teaching kindergarten is still technically illegal, which is a big part of teaching with them, and there are probably some other procedural things Hess tries to get away with that they shouldn't.

So basically even the largest national chain with all eyes on them is still breaking labor laws when they think they can get away with it.