Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Khizan posted:

This is something I've always wondered about Gibson. How does it feel to basically be in your own shadow for the rest of your life? I mean, Neuromancer was his first novel and no matter what he writes, the end verdict on it is almost certainly going to be "It's okay, but it's no Neuromancer."

Joseph Heller had a great quote about this.

He was once asked in an interview why he hasn't written anything else as good as catch 22, his first novel.

His response was, "well, neither has anyone else"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cultureulterior posted:

Giant pink worms. But I agree, Gerrold is great, except for his ability to actually keep writing the series.

He did finish a draft of the next book last year. It's still a long way from a release date, but he is working on it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

He did finish a draft of the next book last year. It's still a long way from a release date, but he is working on it.

People can bitch about Rothfuss or G.R.R.Martin all they want, but they are both small-time. The last War on the Chtorr book was released 24 years ago, and I am still waiting for a sequel. :colbert:

And apparently Gerrod is still writing it. :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

StrixNebulosa posted:

What, we're living in a technological dystopua with a sharp divide between the rich and everyone else, and the mega-corps rule everything? Say it ain't so!

Where hackers use black ice stolen from shadowy US Government agencies to extort hospitals, reality TV (remember Sense/Net and Cops In Trouble?) is everywhere, and the sky is the color of a TV tuned to a dead channel whether it's blue or grey (though which it "really" is depends on how old you are).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kesper North posted:

Where hackers use black ice stolen from shadowy US Government agencies to extort hospitals, reality TV (remember Sense/Net and Cops In Trouble?) is everywhere, and the sky is the color of a TV tuned to a dead channel whether it's blue or grey (though which it "really" is depends on how old you are).

The devs for the latest round of Deus Ex games said in interview s that this was an actual problem they faced with the game's marketing. Younger folks don't recognize "cyberpunk" as a distinct sci-fi genre, all the elements are just present reality.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I read Neuromancer back in the early 90s when it was pretty fresh off the boat, but I honestly just cannot grok (seemingly most) folks' epic :fap: over Gibson's writing. Basically he writes Boondock Saints-level stuff, except with really in-depth description of carbon fiber and formica.

Stephenson also gets huge swathes of followers - I assume because he tends to go off on tangents like Douglas Adams or David Foster Wallace, which a certain number of folks just cannot consume enough of.

But why do people not seem to give a poo poo about Bruce Sterling? I loved A Good Old-Fashioned Future (I think this is the one which contained Taklamakan which is amazing and epic and got a few notable awards), I loved GLobalhead, I loved how he finally tied together Leggy Starlitz' life story in a satisfying way, and I love his novels such as Holy Fire, Heavy Weather. I even love his one-off short stories in randomly-created alternate universes, like the one about the guys who accidentally create an intelligent material, or the pseudo-immortal scientist living in the dregs of the post-conservative-uprising USA.. Part of it is that I feel Sterling is, at core, very skilled at pulp/short fiction without it needing to necessarily be connected to an over-arching world - until maybe later when he starts liking a character or setting a whole bunch.

I mean Gibson writes what is, at its core imho, film noir action movies. Stephenson writes engrossing and in-depth explorations of the genre and/or subject, but Sterling's writing is actually beautiful, very often - which is something I cannot really think of in terms of the other two.. I mean I have a few sentences from seminal fiction works which rattle around in my head however, I can't think of one from Stephenson without going back to reading Snow Crash back in like 1991, or "we're the muthafuckin Rastafarian navy mon!" which was Neuromancer's likely best line, and which honestly should be in a Guy Ritchie film.

But Bruce Sterling's stories actually affect me at my core. The final paragraph or so of Holy Fire made me tear up while thinking heavily about posthumanism, Taklamakan is so strange and beautiful it feels like the epitome of the cyberpunk "climbing up out of hell" thing - and the story precluding it is just as fascinating and intersesting and affecting imho, even though it's about hardcore bicyclist hipsters before that was a thing. Leggy Starlitz is amazing.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 13, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The devs for the latest round of Deus Ex games said in interview s that this was an actual problem they faced with the game's marketing. Younger folks don't recognize "cyberpunk" as a distinct sci-fi genre, all the elements are just present reality.

I mean I only streamed season one, but loving USA Channel has a Cyberpunk show called Mr. Robot, its pure cyberpunk yet weirdly distilled for wide audiences and its depressing how seamlessly the Cyberpunk stuff blends into a modern day setting.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What, we're living in a technological dystopua with a sharp divide between the rich and everyone else, and the mega-corps rule everything? Say it ain't so!

You don't have to tell me living in Seattle, Amazon loving feels like it is or should be one of those crazy megacorps for Shadowrun with its drones and poo poo, I keep waiting to hear they are building a loving Pyramid Arcology somewhere.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 13, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack2142 posted:

I mean I only streamed season one, but loving USA Channel has a Cyberpunk show called Mr. Robot, its pure cyberpunk yet weirdly distilled for wide audiences and its depressing how seamlessly the Cyberpunk stuff blends into a modern day setting.
Is it in short story or novel form? Because there's totally a great place to talk about TV shows otf

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Is it in short story or novel form? Because there's totally a great place to talk about TV shows otf

That quote was pretty obviously replying to the cyberpunk/modern day comment, and he made a coherent point, especially at the tail end of a discussion about Gibson and the modern understanding of cyberpunk as a genre.

So don't be a dick, dude.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Sterling doesn't get as much attention because he barely writes fiction anymore, and when he does it's something weird and edge-case-specific. I love Sterling and think he's brilliant and visionary, but fiction just isn't his career anymore, not really, whereas Gibson is increasingly prominent.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Props to whoever mentioned Ian Tregillis's Milkweed books like a week ago, they are indeed really good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The only Sterling book I've tried to read was The Zenith Angle and I bounced of it like three times. It just utterly failed to interest me.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I did like the thing he co wrote with Gibson, that's the only Sterling I've read though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Sterling's Schismatrix is dope, at least that's how I remember it having read it last time in 90s...

Regarding cyberpunk, Mirroshades anthology edited by Sterling definitely is worth checking out if you're interested in genre defining works.

Also I won't miss an opportunity to plug John Brunner when I can: Shockwave Rider from 70s probably is one of the definitive proto-cyberpunk novels out there.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kesper North posted:

Sterling doesn't get as much attention because he barely writes fiction anymore, and when he does it's something weird and edge-case-specific. I love Sterling and think he's brilliant and visionary, but fiction just isn't his career anymore, not really, whereas Gibson is increasingly prominent.
That could explain it, I haven't been like, seriously into fiction in a decade or two since I used to work in a bookstore. It just always struck me as monumentally weird that Sterling and Stephension are almost always literally side by side on the sci fi whelf when I was stocking, and that Stephenson gets the fans and Gibson got the credit, and Sterling just kind of always is hand-waved past, despite being a better author than either of the other two in many respects, on top of being so physically close to Stephenson that you'd kind of expect Stephenson fans to accidentally notice him.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jack2142 posted:

You don't have to tell me living in Seattle, Amazon loving feels like it is or should be one of those crazy megacorps for Shadowrun with its drones and poo poo, I keep waiting to hear they are building a loving Pyramid Arcology somewhere.

Or hell, Person of Interest. The government might be spying on us? Yeah sure okay tell me another one.

Basically cyberpunk is the most relevant setting and it's depressing - but also fun, because most cyberpunk stories tend to have the little guy succeeding despite the odds? Maybe I'm reading the wrong stuff, but the genre feels that way. I've been enjoying some of the early Shadowrun novels - bad writing, but fun - and it's nice to read books where the enemy is out and out the rich megacorp.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lunsku posted:

Sterling's Schismatrix is dope, at least that's how I remember it having read it last time in 90s...

Regarding cyberpunk, Mirroshades anthology edited by Sterling definitely is worth checking out if you're interested in genre defining works.

Also I won't miss an opportunity to plug John Brunner when I can: Shockwave Rider from 70s probably is one of the definitive proto-cyberpunk novels out there.

Brunner is awesome and The Shockwave Rider gets serious credit for not only arguably being the first cyberpunk novel (even if Neuromancer is what really kicked things into gear), but for inventing and naming internet worms before the internet existed.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Jack2142 posted:

They're building a biosphere, and the new HQ will house a permanent homeless shelter, so you could say they're prototyping one right now.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I just bought a copy of Neuromancer, thanks for making me spend money goons

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is like if a soldier in today's military said "today, we are gonna go over guns. Guns are weapons that use gunpowder to fire a small metal bit called a bullet. This gun can fire many of these bullets very quickly, like a machine. You might call it, a machine gun."

I just wanted to say that this is actually pretty accurate to how military instructors speak.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do not get how a man can spend a page describing a suit and then land on an alien planet and just say "Its a jungle"

Also accurate to how military people describe locations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's almost as though people who work in a hyper-structured hyper-testosterone hyper-competitive environement, might need to have the basics repeated to them more than once before they actually get it into their heads

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Actually you break things down to simple, easy step by step processes to facilitate learning and memorization. I think that's not unique to the military.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

coyo7e posted:

It's almost as though people who work in a hyper-structured hyper-testosterone hyper-competitive environement, might need to have the basics repeated to them more than once before they actually get it into their heads

Cool burn on EMTs and nurses and firefighters and literally everyone else who works in an environment where your forebrain is likely to shut off. It's important to understand that they train this way because they're testosterone soaked meatheads :yeah:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Nerd's mindless contempt for jocks will never stop being the dumbest thing about us.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Every time an athlete speaks out against racism and a gamer shouts about cultural genocide, one must think that perhaps the jocks were the good guys all along

Internet Wizard posted:

I just wanted to say that this is actually pretty accurate to how military instructors speak.

Yeah, it wasn't the dictation I was caught off guard by as much as it was the absurdity of explaining the existence of a machine gun to a soldier in the 21st century

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 15, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

Nerd's mindless contempt for jocks will never stop being the dumbest thing about us.

But you see the jocks made fun of me because of my twig arms and the fact I was so much smarter than they were. It was not because I was intellectually condescending regardless of how incorrect I often was and because I was so creepy none of the girls in my class were comfortable alone with me.

No, they were just straight up meathead bullies obsessed with their hand-egg.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Every time an athlete speaks out against racism and a gamer shouts about cultural genocide, one must think that perhaps the jocks were the good guys all along

Yeah, it wasn't the dictation I was caught off guard by as much as it was the absurdity of explaining the existence of a machine gun to a soldier in the 21st century

To be fair in the Forever War the people recruited were conscripted out of like grad school and this is boot camp (in space), its not like they were already career soldiers who were selected to go fight aliens.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm not even kidding when I say that exact thing happens at boot camp and MCT.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Finished New York 2140 and ehhhhhhhhh. It really runs out of steam in the second half, and it also becomes quite clear (especially after listening to Robinson on a recent Coode Street podcast) that he basically just wanted to write a book about capitalism and global finance and his publisher forced him to set it in the flooded future New York for the sci-fi angle. Not one of his better books.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lt. Lizard posted:

People can bitch about Rothfuss or G.R.R.Martin all they want, but they are both small-time. The last War on the Chtorr book was released 24 years ago, and I am still waiting for a sequel. :colbert:

And apparently Gerrod is still writing it. :v:

And has put out 9 novels and a ton of short fiction since then.

Yeah, I want it too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, a lot more kneejerk defensive reactions to people being told that you need to study before you can learn things than I expected

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Wow, a lot more kneejerk defensive reactions to people being told that you need to study before you can learn things than I expected

You did it

You made nerds sympathize with the jocks

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Ahahahahahaha, backpedal faster.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

General Battuta posted:

Cool burn on EMTs and nurses and firefighters and literally everyone else who works in an environment where your forebrain is likely to shut off.

Yah exactly; having tried to train for any kind of physically stressful situation and then had the opportunity to try to apply that training in an actual even moderately stressful situation... what you do in fact need to have a hope of success is to break things down into really stupid little steps and drill those fuckers a billion times, because when the poo poo hits the fan you're highly likely to default to only being able to do poo poo you don't have to think about doing.

And if you want to train up any quantity of personnel to be able to act under stress, you need to standardize those stupid little steps to a low common level. Military forces the world over have known this since the dawn of history.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lunsku posted:

i read it for the first time last year and thought it was very, very good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

coyo7e posted:

Defensive about knee jerk reactions indeed

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Family friend recommended One Second After and sequels by William Forstchen. Said referrer has about a 50/50 success rate of recommending good stuff. Any opinions on these?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Phummus posted:

Family friend recommended

One Second After
and sequels by William Forstchen. Said referrer has about a 50/50 success rate of recommending good stuff. Any opinions on these?

Forstchen is the dude who wrote that alt history book with newtgingrich

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I just finished the LitRPG book "Dominion Of Blades" by Matt Dinniman. I'd have to give it a hearty recommend. Dominion of Blades is probably the best LitRPG book I have read so far. The writing can be clunky at times, and theres a lot of typos, but there's none of the weird sexism or homophobia that pervades the translated fare (quite the opposite in fact), and the plot is really cool.

All of a sudden two "NPCs" become aware that they are real people in a simulation. Prior to that they had been repeating their same week over and over again, for years and years. They have little memory of their real lives, but they realize they are in the titular game, an old, shut down, full immersion MMORPG which was shut down because prolonged dives into the game tended to cause a sort of reality dysmorphia. The big perk to their lives as NPC fishermen is that they have an impossibly high fishing skill which has bled out into other skills and special abilities to make them quite formidable due to the way the game handles high skill levels and synergy bonuses. For example, the main character can summon fish, call down an ice storm, and has insanely high level skill with an urumi, a whip-sword, because of his high fly fishing skill, all of which feature into the plot. The system has blocked their ability to log out and fast travel, and pain sensitivity is jacked up to the maximum. They can see other people listed as online so they set out to the main city in the game world (which is a scale replica of Earth with the capital being in Seattle) to try to send out a global message to bring them in. Unfortunately they are somewhere in eastern Europe and have very far to travel.

It ends up being a mixture of LitRPG and comedy with a big dollop of horror mixed in.

Theres no damage numbers and the tons of stat blocks people tend to complain about are absent here too.

This is gonna be the LitRPG I am judging others against. I think the only other series which really holds up is Continue Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I started reading Consider Phlebas. I remember people saying on here that it was the hardest Banks to get into, but after about 5 pages of my brain adjusting to the scale of the novel I haven't had any trouble following what's going on. Great book so far.