Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Like if you guys actually want the research behind Second Language Acquisition I can fill you guys in, since its literally my career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't respect science

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Science is some hosed up nerds tormenting animals in a basement and then whinging when don't give them all our money and hail every stupid opinion they have

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I'm also a scientist with many credentials and I frown upon 'experimental' ''evidence''.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm a race scientist.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

It's not really. English is my second language, how do you imagine it's different?

I figured you'd miss out on little jokes and references and stuff mostly, or just take slightly longer to get stuff so stuff doesn't quite land they way it should, like seems to happen in conversations a bit. Like I said that's not a scientific viewpoint because it's not my area so if I'm completely wrong that's very cool.

I wasn't coming down on either side, just saying the conversation seemed loud and ill informed, and "this is how the brain works based the headline of an article on I loving Love Science" is a topic that comes up constantly on these forums. If someone knows more than they were letting on good for them

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Science is some hosed up nerds tormenting animals in a basement and then whinging when don't give them all our money and hail every stupid opinion they have

Mel's been shocking those rats for years and they still haven't learned Russian.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Magnus Manfist posted:

I figured you'd miss out on little jokes and references and stuff mostly, or just take slightly longer to get stuff so stuff doesn't quite land they way it should, like seems to happen in conversations a bit. Like I said that's not a scientific viewpoint because it's not my area so if I'm completely wrong that's very cool.

I wasn't coming down on either side, just saying the conversation seemed loud and ill informed, and "this is how the brain works based the headline of an article on I loving Love Science" is a topic that comes up constantly on these forums. If someone knows more than they were letting on good for them

Yeah, I was probably crude in my description, but there is some very interesting research into how we conceive of language learned as children versus language learned as adults.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Magnus Manfist posted:

I figured you'd miss out on little jokes and references and stuff mostly, or just take slightly longer to get stuff so stuff doesn't quite land they way it should, like seems to happen in conversations a bit.

This doesn't seem different from talking to a stupid native speaker

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Magnus Manfist posted:

My old boss, an American, used to enjoy quizzing me on the meaning of little references and jokes, like he'd ask me if I knew what butt chugging was (it is a barbaric practice whereby alcohol is "drunk" through the human anus, instead of through the mouth, which is the normal way). I knew all of them and it would annoy him because he believed that native speakers were better teachers and much of his ego was based on that idea.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

lmao at everyone pretending languages that aren't Esperanto have value

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

My old boss, an American, used to enjoy quizzing me on the meaning of little references and jokes, like he'd ask me if I knew what butt chugging was (it is a barbaric practice whereby alcohol is "drunk" through the human anus, instead of through the mouth, which is the normal way). I knew all of them and it would annoy him because he believed that native speakers were better teachers and much of his ego was based on that idea.

If it helps, knowing what butt chugging is not what I meant

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mover posted:

lmao at everyone pretending languages that aren't Esperanto have value

ekzakte

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If it helps, knowing what butt chugging is not what I meant

i'm pretty sure "weird american butt trends" is an entire section of the toefl

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Look here I'm a neuroscientist and here's my anecdote. It's a neuroscientist anecdote, made by me, a neuroscientist, and that's how you know it's true.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

If you go and talk to scientists they will tell you that a lot of things in whatever field they're in are much less certain than they may appear, and that's for relatively established fields, with something like neuroscience they don't have any idea how half the poo poo works.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Not to distract from amateur linguistic chat but I finished The Sympathizer yesterday and thought it was really funny. Like people kinda pissed and moaned about it being overwritten but to me it seemed like a parody of some LeCarre poo poo.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
neuroscience, a field which at its best has progressed slightly beyond the 'chanting in huts' stage of development,

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

chernobyl kinsman posted:

neuroscience, a field which at its best has progressed slightly beyond the 'chanting in huts' stage of development,

here we find a great wasteland etc etc

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm a race scientist.

Gonna need those head size measurements by Thursday, buddy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I, for one, loving LOVE science,

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

it's not really relevant but I remember my friend going to a frat party and being told to get his pants off and butt chug, an d when he refused saying that this was kind of weird, everyone started chanting "stop being a human being, butt chug a beer", so he left without getting his voluntary and extremely heterosexual party enema. that's my butt chug story

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
now i understand american literature!

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anyone who claims to have learned multiple languages after the age of 16 or so is either a liar or has a significant over-estimation of their level of comprehension

hell I learned Swahili from the back of a Fruit Loop box. maybe you're just unintelligent?

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm a race scientist.

I think phrenology might have been one of those sciences we rashly let slip by the wayside. And all because some goofy European had a couple of wild ideas.

Here's a good article written by the last great American president, Theodore Roosevelt, on the distinction between a good boy versus a goody-goody boy: http://www.foundationsmag.com/americanboy-com.html

I read a bunch of Montaigne and Brothers Karamazov and I take back what I said about Dostoevsky for those of you keeping score at home.

My big takeaway from Montaigne is that it's okay to be a complete loving retard. He's a man who cannot read for more than an hour at a time, thinks most books are poo poo and who retains virtually nothing of what he read. Apropos the general thread discussion, he spoke many languages but considered most of them to be gay.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 17, 2017

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was going to zing you all with Nabokov but turns out he spoke English before he spoke Russian because his family was full of anglophiles

pretty sure Conrad learned English at like 17. but he doesn't care for Africans so gently caress him.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
:|

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

hog fat posted:

My big takeaway from Montaigne is that it's okay to be a complete loving retard.

i'm getting this tattooed on one of my buttocks

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I started reading Cancer Ward without realising Solzhenitsyn was an actual fascist lol. Is he at least a fun one like Mishima

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I started reading Cancer Ward without realising Solzhenitsyn was an actual fascist lol. Is he at least a fun one like Mishima

what

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm gonna become fluent in French by reading every Goosebumps book in French. Au revoir bitches.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think he was more of a monarchist

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A human heart posted:

I think he was more of a monarchist

I mean he loved Franco and blamed the Jews for the rise of communism

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Um so I just finished Lincoln in the Bardo and it made me feel things I have never felt reading a book and was also very good apart from that. Probably my favourite book I've read so far this year.

I also just finished Alejandro Zambra's Multiple Choice which was kinda cool but kind of not (ie. I kind of hated it for being so direct and uninhibited). Anyone have thoughts on this?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Book Barn › Quit Being a loving Child and knowing what butt chugging is not what I meant

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
petition for lincoln in the bardo to be added to the official thread canon alongside aquarium, by david vann

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

petition for lincoln in the bardo to be added to the official thread canon alongside aquarium, by david vann

seconded

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I very much enjoyed Lincoln in the Bardo! Though it didn't do that much for me emotionally.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What else is thread canon? Dictionary of the Khazars? Anything else?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

What else is thread canon? Dictionary of the Khazars? Anything else?

Probably Gravity's Rainbow for the sheer amount of times it's mentioned (with sincerity or as a joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the legend of the 10 elemental masters