Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

cakesmith handyman posted:

Related question: anyone grown strawberries from seed? Is it worth it? I want to try a few weird and wonderful varieties but they get expensive.

It absolutely, positively is not worth it. The seeds need a dormancy period of [way too many] days at below-freezing, after which they germinate at a pain in the rear end 40-50F, and germinating can easily take a month. Even after germination a mosquito's sneeze will permanently gently caress the weak seedlings.

Just don't. Please.

E: I couldn't find the picture, but last year, after doing everything by the book, i had something like 40 1-2cm tall seedlings by mid-june.

Catpain Slack fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's worth it if you are trying to get pineberrys, they are a weird white strawberry which taste of pineapple and strawberry and are delicious.
I have an allotment though so people keep trying to give me thier excess strawberry plants all the time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm growing Atilla alpine strawberries from seed this year. They germinated quickly and easily, but yeah they're serious tiny. I don't really mind though.. I figure I can just propagate from runners in the future.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WrenP-Complete posted:

Oh, cool, I've never seen that before!
It's super common although you don't see people use it that often unless you work with plants. I grew up in a nursery and played with it a lot as a kid. It's really fun with big white hydrangeas.

I am laughing my butt off though, thinking of people buying rainbow flowers expecting them to last for more than a couple days.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

coyo7e posted:

It's super common although you don't see people use it that often unless you work with plants. I grew up in a nursery and played with it a lot as a kid. It's really fun with big white hydrangeas.

I am laughing my butt off though, thinking of people buying rainbow flowers expecting them to last for more than a couple days.

Oh I've done it with flowers and capillary action, what I mean is that I've never seen anyone sell rainbow flower seeds or whatever

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
There's been an influx of rats in my city, and I'm super paranoid about vermin. I have a dog so hopefully her being outside is enough to keep them away but I read dog poo attracts rats? Anyway, if I plant some peppermint around my compost, would that be a potential solution to "rat proofing" it? I plan on putting some bricks beneath so it can't be gotten into, or maybe getting rid of it altogether.
After dealing with a minor mice problem at my last house I just have no patience for rodents :(

It would be such a shame not to garden this year since I'll be home all summer and my back yard has lovely soil. Here was my garden last year. Fence is 8 feet tall for reference:

http://imgur.com/KRTBopY
http://imgur.com/zrzKe4y

This will be my third summer in this house, and the last two years I've gotten about a dozen ears of corn, more beans and cucumbers than I know what to do with. Everything grows great!

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 23, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We have visiting rats because one side of the garden borders common land and another side our neighbor has chickens and ducks. Traps with peanut butter worked last year, this year the survivor was big enough to just flat out eat the traps, so we've had to be clever about poison, consisting we have a cat, a dog and ground feeding birds. Next option is an air rifle.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Would like to avoid poison at all costs since I don't want birds are any other animals getting to the corpses. I have a paintball gun, sure if I jacked up the PSI I could probably pop a head

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It may or may not be illegal to replace your paint ball with a ball bearing. Have fun.

E: I have smaller pests, any green fly advice?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You can take out a human eyeball with a paintball if you're close enough so I imagine even paintballs could do some damage. And hey, if it doesn't kill them you can at least mark them. Wow, what a gruesome conversation

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Shooting to wound or harass any animal can be considered animal cruelty (a felony now) if you are caught doing it. Either shoot to kill or not at all.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah don't shoot rats with paintballs. Pellet guns should be effective, but you'll need to check if they're legal if you're inside the city limits.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Disclaimer: I would not actually shoot anything with paintballs, other than a human during a paintball game in the proper setting

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought some blackberry plants back in like February and planted them immediately at the recommendation of the thread and the instructions on the packaging. They were roots and a ~1 foot stalk. They haven't done poo poo since then. Do blackberries take a long time to put out leaves or are these just dead?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
May be still dormant, you could try using a nitrogen based fertiliser to help wake it up :)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is something wrong with my green beans? idk why these leaves are curling like this. most of the other plants aren't doing that

also, any recommendations for cheap tomato cages? the bamboo stake method seems easy and cheap, but I'm open to other suggestions :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

indigi posted:

also, any recommendations for cheap tomato cages? the bamboo stake method seems easy and cheap, but I'm open to other suggestions :)

Build a geodesic dome.

Oh cheap? Err, build a geodesic dome out of stolen conduit?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

indigi posted:

is something wrong with my green beans? idk why these leaves are curling like this. most of the other plants aren't doing that

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32461362144.html
I use that stuff with some t-bar fence posts for pretty much all the vertical stuff i grow.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Oops

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I use bamboo stakes, and I think they're great. You can probably find some bamboo growing around town if you don't want to spend money. It's a weed.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Thanks for this thread. Its helped me considerably with my plastic tub veggie garden. I stopped watering so much after seeing white spots on leaves and whatnot. Also transplanted some stuff to cut down on overcrowding. I'll be happy to get anything edible out of it, but its looking a lot better now than a week ago. Should have onions and turnip greens eventually.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Any idea what could be happening to my tomato plants? About a week ago I moved them to a spot to get more sun and today I noticed that the leaves are turning yellow. I live in Phoenix so it's hot as hell, they get sun from about 11AM to 7PM. I water them 4 times a week. The soil's damp so it's not like they're dying of thrist. Some of them are growing little tomatoes and the tomatoes themselves look great.

The yellow leaves don't feel dry. They feel like they have plenty of moisture in them.

I tried Googling around and I feel none the wiser. Is it possible they're getting too much sun?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Maybe! I'm in regional Australia and if I leave my tomato plants somewhere without some shade they start looking like that. We had a few 45C days through summer and a lot of my plants just roasted, but the ones that were positioned in dappled light or got some shade through the day were ok.

bee fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 25, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm no expert but I felt that too much sun was bleaching my jalapeņos and habaneros. Even partial shade like some criss-cross fencing seemed to solve that issue.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

indigi posted:

Do you need them to be fenced in against birds or just trellised? I love the OneYardRevolution method for indeterminate tomatoes.

$2.50 10-ft electrical conduit
$1.50 2.5-ft rebar

Hammer rebar into the ground, slide conduit over the top (and press into the ground a bit too)

Strong as can be, and your tomatoes can grow up to 9 ft tall this way. Just prune the suckers (see video) so you get one long vine instead of crawling all over, and you obviate the need for the cage. Get more tomato plants in a smaller space that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9qYOvgoKeg&t=376s

He uses remesh in between the conduit in this video, but that's just because he has pole beans next to it. If you can tie up your vines yourself, there's no need for the remesh.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Even full-sun plants can experience sun bleaching if they're moved abruptly into way more sunlight than they've been experiencing. Leaves build up sun protection gradually, and I think new leaves are more adaptable than old ones that developed under less light. If you're moving a plant into full-sun, it helps to do so gradually.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm obsessed with high tea. I forgot that I wanted to be born rich so I could do what I want when I want

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

54 40 or gently caress posted:

There's been an influx of rats in my city, and I'm super paranoid about vermin. I have a dog so hopefully her being outside is enough to keep them away but I read dog poo attracts rats? Anyway, if I plant some peppermint around my compost, would that be a potential solution to "rat proofing" it? I plan on putting some bricks beneath so it can't be gotten into, or maybe getting rid of it altogether.
After dealing with a minor mice problem at my last house I just have no patience for rodents :(

It would be such a shame not to garden this year since I'll be home all summer and my back yard has lovely soil. Here was my garden last year. Fence is 8 feet tall for reference:

http://imgur.com/KRTBopY
http://imgur.com/zrzKe4y

This will be my third summer in this house, and the last two years I've gotten about a dozen ears of corn, more beans and cucumbers than I know what to do with. Everything grows great!

54 40, your garden looks great! Sorry if I missed this somewhere - what are the dimensions of your raised beds? I'm helping a friend with some plans.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
e: problem solved!

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 31, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Along the same lines as the yellow leaves question, how long does a plant typically take to correct something like yellow leaves or wilted leaves? I'm new to gardening and I'm having a hard time knowing if I'm triaging problems correctly or if there's still some other thing going on and I was wrong in guessing how to fix it.

For example, some of my tomato plants have wilted leaves, which I guessed was because they were under-watered before I bought them as transplants. I saturated the soil and have been checking on them for the past 2 days, and the leaves are still wilted although mainly a little less so? So how much time should I give the plant to clear up that symptom and let me know that I fixed it before trying to figure out what else could be wrong?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 25, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

RIP 3rd courgette plant. Going to plant some more because gently caress it I don't accept this outcome. Danm you snails :argh:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My pineapple plant's leaves are drooping and I'm certain I'm killing it somehow. Anybody raised pineapples in pots before?

(Please ignore the dying parsley in the pot behind it, a friend dug the plant out of her garden and gave it to me as a gift by coiling its taproot up in a tiny pot, it's doomed as gently caress)

I rooted the crown of a Kauai Sugarloaf pineapple I bought in October by dangling it in a mason jar of water, then potted it in cactus soil in a clay pot. Gravel at the bottom of the pot for extra drainage-- I live in Seattle and I've been setting it out on my balcony on hot days to get sun.

I usually water it by pouring a half-cup of water into the crown every week or so. The dirt dried out a couple weeks ago, like crispy dry, and a few of the lower leaves drooped. I watered it thoroughly, it drained thoroughly, and I've been adding a thorough drench-and-drain every week while it's hot. But it still looks as droopy as before, leaves are still leaning out and toppling, and I have no idea how to save it aaaaaaaaa

For reference, here's how it looked before hot weather set in and the soil dried out:

Thanks goons! I hope the rest of you PNW folks are having as good of a tomato spring as I am!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

elise the great posted:

My pineapple plant's leaves are drooping and I'm certain I'm killing it somehow. Anybody raised pineapples in pots before?

Pretty sure the lower leaves naturally bend down like that similar to palm trees.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

WrenP-Complete posted:

54 40, your garden looks great! Sorry if I missed this somewhere - what are the dimensions of your raised beds? I'm helping a friend with some plans.

They're eight feet long and four feet wide :)

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

frozenphil posted:

Pretty sure the lower leaves naturally bend down like that similar to palm trees.

I really hope so. Last year I overwatered my tomatoes a bit and they all got mildew by October, and this year I've tended to underwater everything as backlash.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Since the weather here's been cold, wet and lovely, my outdoor planted seeds haven't started yet. As a plan B, I still started some black cherry plants indoors, but if I don't give them some light, they'll get super leggy again. What sort of light can work as a grow lamp? I have a relatively restricted space and it's only 4 little dudes, so I'd rather have something compact like a desk light or something.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
You can buy a small LED grow lamp or some kind of work light that accepts fluorescent light and use that.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

elise the great posted:

I really hope so. Last year I overwatered my tomatoes a bit and they all got mildew by October, and this year I've tended to underwater everything as backlash.

My family had a pineapple plant in Florida when I was little and I remember the lower leaves being droopy like that and all of the pictures I googled show the lower leaves being droopy. I think you're fine.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I really hope so, even more of them drooped today and the next tier up is looking really droopy too. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

extravadanza posted:

You can buy a small LED grow lamp or some kind of work light that accepts fluorescent light and use that.

So basically, white light, not incandescent? Okay.